The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you could change just one injustice in Boxing history???

+23
themadworldofjb
Muffleface
fearlessBamber
Fists of Fury
Imperial Ghosty
Michaels, Sean
Valero's Conscience
Scottrf
DoubleD22
Rowley
whotobeA
School Project
No1Jonesy
huw
Dinamita
88Chris05
captain carrantuohil
sittingringside
licence_007
ONETWOFOREVER
HumanWindmill
Lumbering_Jack
TRUSSMAN66
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

If you could change just one injustice in Boxing history??? Empty If you could change just one injustice in Boxing history???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 7:49 pm

Not talking about the Johnny Owens's, koo kims being taken away etc...that's taken as read......

Talking about changing just one real injustice, whether reversing a robbery or something else what would it be....?

Myself I think I'd change the result of Holmes-Spinks 2 and let Larry leave in a just and fitting way......

Poor old Lar in the week before the fight he called Las Vegas judges drunks and then gets the shaft surprise surprise...

Larry was always my favorite with the Don and however favorably you watch the fight in Spinks favor there is no way he wins....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

If you could change just one injustice in Boxing history??? Empty Re: If you could change just one injustice in Boxing history???

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 14 Jun 2011, 7:52 pm

I would change the Marquez vs Manny fight (1). Marquez outboxed Manny and won 9 rounds yet was still denied on the cards.

If the right decision had been made people would see Manny for what he is. A good fighters with a quality win over Barrera. Thats about it.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

If you could change just one injustice in Boxing history??? Empty Re: If you could change just one injustice in Boxing history???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 7:53 pm

You thought Marquez won that fight.....??

errrm interesting..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 7:57 pm

Notice Scottrf hasn't been posting lately....

Hope we haven't lost old tory boy!! Used to pull his leg as he did mine but I did enjoy his contributions....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 14 Jun 2011, 7:58 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Notice Scottrf hasn't been posting lately....

Hope we haven't lost old tory boy!! Used to pull his leg as he did mine but I did enjoy his contributions....

Notice D4 and Balti are also AWOL.

Last edited by HumanWindmill on Tue 14 Jun 2011, 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Because I'm a heck of a nice guy.)

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 8:11 pm

You remember the end of the Godfather...when he has everybody assassinated while he attends his Son's baptism???

My money is on you next lumbering Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 14 Jun 2011, 8:14 pm

Well my last post was edited for daring to question a mod so you're probably right.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 14 Jun 2011, 8:16 pm

No, Jack, it wasn't.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 14 Jun 2011, 8:19 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:No, Jack, it wasn't.

Yes it was, by you.

I said a callous Mod probably banned Balti and Scott and it was removed within 2 minutes.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 14 Jun 2011, 8:23 pm

No, it WASN'T. I edited it for a different reason.

There's a PM for you.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 9:35 pm

Why was Scotty banned???

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 14 Jun 2011, 9:37 pm

i would change De La Hoya v Strum. Remember watching that fight and thinking Oscar needs a ko but in the end Felix was the one who REALLY needed to ko Oscar. Big time robbery, felt sorry for Strum.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 9:40 pm

Bigger they are the harder they fall Onetwo..especially marquee names.

I'll give you 10 1 1 reasons why sometime.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:13 pm

Maybe give Holyfield the decision against Valuev so that he'd hopefully have hung up his gloves for good. That was the main one that sprung to mind.

Possibly change ODLH vs Trinidad as well.

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:16 pm

Holy neeeds money mate....beating Valuev would've meant facing better boxers and getting more brain damage than he had already..

you'd be compounding the problem not fixing it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:19 pm

Ah I see. I haven't kept fully up to date with Holyfield except I knew he was banging on about winning a big one again. How bad is his debt?

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:21 pm

I don't know.. you tell me how someone loses over a hundred million dollars..

he is in dire financial woes though..I saw a program on fox about him.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:24 pm

Ah right. Oh well, looks like nothing is gonna save Holy from having his brains well and truly scrambled.

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:37 pm

No-one ever seems to mention Mosley's taking of Steroids before the second De La Hoya fight. Whether or not Mosley was aware of what he was getting involved in with BALCO, it's surely an injustice that this defeat remains a blemish on De La Hoya's record?

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:42 pm

If we are honest Oscar got some contentious decisions too...

I had whittaker beating him...as well as sorry I've forgot his name..

evened itself out with Oscar..although I had Oscar winning against Mosley..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:51 pm

Sturm, maybe? Hard to think of too many fighters, be they ever so great, who didn't get the odd rub of the green with decisions.

The one I always wanted to see righted was the worst decision I ever saw - Roy Jones' "loss" to the Korean in the light-middle final at the 1988 Olympics. Now our Richie Woodhall had give Jones a far harder time in their semi (he was still comfortably second best) than Mr Park; how the judges came to the conclusion that he won any of the rounds is entirely beyond me. To give him the decision was absolutely scandalous.

What made it worse, though was that the Olympic authorities knew it stank and showed it by awarding Jones the Val Barker trophy for the premier boxer of the Games, the only time the award has ever gone to a non-gold medallist. If they were prepared to do that, they could have had the gumption to reverse such an obviously unfair decision. If they can strip people of medals years after the event for drug-related offences, surely the authorities can do likewise in the case of blatantly corrupt judging?

Last edited by captain carrantuohil on Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:03 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:If they can strip people of medals years after the event for drug-related offences, surely the authorities can do likewise in the case of blatantly corrupt judging?

You'd think so, captain, particularly as it was confirmed years later (I believe) that certain Korean delegates had been wining and dining the judges in question prior to the final. I agree that it was a shockingly bad verdict - made Chavez-Whitaker seem almost tame.

One particular injustice I wish I could rewrite would be Ali being stripped of the title and thrown out of the sport in 1967, right in the middle of his glorious prime. Dundee has always maintained that Ali would have reached his absolute summit between then and 1970, would have been interesting to see if that was the case, and even more interesting to see how the lighter, more fleet-footed and dancing Ali, rather than the slightly more crafty, scrappy and slower version of later years, would have dealt with Frazier circa 1968 / 1969.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinamita Wed 15 Jun 2011, 9:10 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You thought Marquez won that fight.....??

errrm interesting..

It's amazing how people can score fights differently Wink

Even allowing for a 10-6 score in the first round and giving Manny 4 rounds, I still have Marquez a point up (113-112).
And in the second fight I have Marquez 3 up and that's generously giving Manny round 7 (in addition to 1, 4 an 11).

I'm pretty sure the CompuBox stats highlight total number of punches, jabs and power punches landed all in favour of Marquez.

Dinamita

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Wed 15 Jun 2011, 9:16 am

Chris with you. America wouldn't have goe to war in Vietnam and Ali would have probably had a much shorter but more dominant career.

Oh and millions of other people wouldn't have died because Americans were scared of communists. Makes me wish Americans saw how truly evil Simon Cowell is, oh and Truss, just in case you have connections I overheard Simon Cowell saying that he was going to donate money to communists.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by No1Jonesy Wed 15 Jun 2011, 9:39 am

I would change the fact that the ref stopped Lewis prematurely in the McCall fight ha ha ha

that would then hopefully have paved the way for some fantastic fights that got shelved because of it!

No1Jonesy

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Wed 15 Jun 2011, 9:45 am

The one I would change is allowing Roy Jones Jr into the ring. A little different I know but the guy is becoming a risk to himself.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by whotobeA Wed 15 Jun 2011, 10:44 am

I think in recent history the injustice of promoters being the boss of fighters instead of the other way round is unparalleled.

whotobeA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:09 pm

Richie Woodhall not being allowed to KO Benn inside two rounds?

This one's not an injustice as such but I'd like Vitali's eye injury to have been relatively minor thus allowing his fight with Lewis to come to a natural conclusion thus forever ending the "He was tiring/he was coming on strong" debates.

Lewis's "draw" with Holyfield.

Eubank to be given the standing eight count v Watson thus bring that round to an end with THAT punch landing

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:12 pm

Dave you disappoint me, this seemed an ideal opportunity for you to campaign for Peter Jackson to get his title shot.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleD22 Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:14 pm

One injustice id change is that Manny & Marquez didnt fight again a good many years back, after the first 2 fights it would have been good soon after for the third and final decider whilst both fighters were at their prime and at a weight that would have made it much more exiting than it now will be.

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:26 pm

rowley wrote:Dave you disappoint me, this seemed an ideal opportunity for you to campaign for Peter Jackson to get his title shot.
Then I wouldn't be able to rant and rave about the injustice of it all or be able to rank Peter at number one my list of finest fighters never to get a title shot. Ideally he would have never been thrown from the pony and trap a week before the Corbett fight, wouldn't have injured his leg and would have thus been able to utilise his movement to such a degree he would have triumphed and then being given a shot by right...or am I being naive?

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:44 pm

I'd probably side with the Roy Jones Jr Olympic loss. A lot of other losses can be made up for in other career wins or rematches, but the Olympics is something you probably only get one chance at. No doubt it would mean more to him than any world title. It's clear it still affects him, and possibly affected his later career choices. Fan of his too.

Ali's enforced layoff is a good shout, but almost a separate category to boxing injustices.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:46 pm

A lot of other losses can be made up for in other career wins or rematches, but the Olympics is something you probably only get one chance at.
Err, there's been a few repeat performances at the Olympics over the years...in any number of sports!

It's a very modern phenomenon that fighters have one eye on the pro ranks before they've even stepped onto the plane taking them to the games.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:49 pm

Manny imposing disgusting stips on a number of fighters.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:50 pm

Communist countries maybe. Most boxers only go to one Olympics, especially American ones. Even if not, it's a four year gap, awful attempt at nitpicking.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:57 pm

The Jones Jr Olympic fight is a brilliant shout, same with Holyfield.

Too many to think of and every time I think of one, someone suggests a better one.

Martinez to have gotten the nod over Cintron.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 15 Jun 2011, 12:59 pm

Good old Terry having such a bad aim...

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 15 Jun 2011, 1:27 pm

Biggest injustice in boxing looks like never being solved. Sky still refuse to reimburse my £11.99 for Lewis v Holyfield 1.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jun 2011, 2:22 pm

Nelson/DeLeon to have never been signed!

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 15 Jun 2011, 2:26 pm

Boxing Helena?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 15 Jun 2011, 2:52 pm

Suppose it would have been nice for Hearns to get the win he deserved second time out against Leonard. Granted, by 1989 Leonard didn't have all that much left in the tank (Hearns was also past his fabulous peak, but perhaps not by as much), but considering how well Hearns performed over twenty-six rounds against Leonard he was unlucky not to get a 'win' against his name.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 15 Jun 2011, 7:29 pm

That none of the black murderers row got title shots, would have completely rewritten middleweight and light heavyweight history

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jun 2011, 11:20 pm

Not reversing an injustice, but Ali v Berbick seems a natural choice

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jun 2011, 11:40 pm

Jim Watts contract with sky

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 15 Jun 2011, 11:41 pm

sohotnot wrote:Jim Watts contract with sky

Very Happy excellent

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Thu 16 Jun 2011, 12:03 am

Regarding the Jones fiasco, I also felt sorry for Park. He seemed embarrassed - the way he picked up Jones and I'm not sure he could really enjoy his gold medal any more that Jones could his silver.

Whittaker Chavez for me. Whittaker was a better fighter than Chavez and deserved that W on his record.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by Muffleface Thu 16 Jun 2011, 3:25 am

A big injustice was Clubber Lang being denied the chance to showcase against Ivan Drago due to interference by the Count of Montefisto and we all know where that got him!

Muffleface

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Thu 16 Jun 2011, 3:26 am

Looking at Chavez how about his first fight with Meldrick Taylor. Stoppage 2 seconds from the end? Meldrick deserved his W that night
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 16 Jun 2011, 7:57 am

themadworldofjb wrote:Looking at Chavez how about his first fight with Meldrick Taylor. Stoppage 2 seconds from the end? Meldrick deserved his W that night
I didn't get the memo when they changed the length of fights to 35 minutes 58 seconds?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Muffleface Thu 16 Jun 2011, 1:07 pm

Surely that German ref with the handlebar moustache that "looked after" the Sven Otke fight invloving Robin Reid and a few others, affected the outcome of a fight to the Otkes opponents detriment. I felt for Reid and could not believe what I was seeing. He kept warning Reid and bullying him. Everytime Reid threw a punch you could see him looking at the ref waiting for the mandatory warning. Meanwhile Otke was leaning, pushing, slapping on the break. It really was bad.

Muffleface

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next