The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Education in the History of Boxing

+4
DynamiteChris
Union Cane
Rowley
Tea_is_for_mugs
8 posters

Go down

An Education in the History of Boxing Empty An Education in the History of Boxing

Post by Tea_is_for_mugs Mon 09 Sep 2013, 9:41 am

Hello board, Cheeky of me I know to ask favours while contributing so little but here I am cap in hand.

Boxing over took Football as my sporting passion the moment I was late to a date because I was glued to the T.V watch Calzaghe school Lacy, from that moment on I was transfixed. There have been some ups (my fav was seeing Margarito get just desserts versus Manny) and some lows (Burns this week realy did feel like a low blow, and also watching Maccarinelli nearly get killed on the super seven bill).

So my Question to you people, it is very clear I need an education in the world of boxing prior to Calzaghe beating Lacy. So to avoid duplication I have caught up with Ali's career, The Benn-Eubank fights, lennox Lewis's career and a few super fights.

Can you please suggest some key fights or even moments that will really help me garner a greater history.

Thanks in advance

Tea_is_for_mugs

Back to top Go down

An Education in the History of Boxing Empty Re: An Education in the History of Boxing

Post by Rowley Mon 09 Sep 2013, 9:49 am

Two fights which are seismic in terms of their impact on the sport are Jeffries vs Johnson and the second Louis Schmeling fight. The first is a brilliant starting point into the racism that was endemic in the sports early years and the second is perhaps the biggest heavyweight fight ever with Schmeling being, perhaps unfairly, portrayed as representing Hitler’s warped views on Ayran supremacy.

If you want to learn about the history of the sport The Cyber Boxing Zone and Coxs Corner are both excellent websites with a wealth of material on fighters and fights from the past.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

An Education in the History of Boxing Empty Re: An Education in the History of Boxing

Post by Union Cane Mon 09 Sep 2013, 9:52 am

You could also spend a few hours in The Human Windmill Boxing Vault, there are articles, links, videos, a whole treasure trove of information in there.

https://www.606v2.com/f61-the-human-windmill-boxing-vault
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by DynamiteChris Mon 09 Sep 2013, 9:59 am

A few names you should look up on youtube:

Arturo Gatti, Aaron Pryor, Alexis Aguero, Erik Morales, Micky Ward, Marco Antonio Barrera, Jose Luis Castillo, Diego Corrales, Pernell Whitaker, Roberto Duran, Jeff Fenech, particularly worth looking up the Hearns, Duran, Hagler & Leonard fights, there should be a docu called Four Kings or something which features all the fights & is a GREAT watch, Julio Cesar Chavez (snr), Roy Jones jnr, James Toney, Prince Naz & as he died recently & he was always in exciting fights Tommy Morrison RIP, Carlos Monzon, Kostya Tsyu (spelling?), Ricardo Mayorga

You might of heard of some of them, but these names should take up a few hours & alot of them fought eachother in some great fights!

DynamiteChris

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 09 Sep 2013, 10:02 am

DynamiteChris wrote:A few names you should look up on youtube:

Arturo Gatti, Aaron Pryor, Alexis Aguero, Erik Morales, Micky Ward, Marco Antonio Barrera, Jose Luis Castillo, Diego Corrales, Pernell Whitaker, Roberto Duran, Jeff Fenech, particularly worth looking up the Hearns, Duran, Hagler & Leonard fights, there should be a docu called Four Kings or something which features all the fights & is a GREAT watch, Julio Cesar Chavez (snr), Roy Jones jnr, James Toney, Prince Naz & as he died recently & he was always in exciting fights Tommy Morrison RIP, Carlos Monzon, Kostya Tsyu (spelling?), Ricardo Mayorga

You might of heard of some of them, but these names should take up a few hours & alot of them fought eachother in some great fights!
https://www.606v2.com/f135-career-in-video-ring-magazine-fights-of-the-year
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 09 Sep 2013, 10:02 am

Just hang around here for a while and get into a few arguments. Its amazing how quickly you learn when you're frantically scanning through Boxrec in order to win a debate.

Here's a history of boxing article that hits the key notes without getting too heavy going.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2009/05/30/boxing-a-manly-history-of-the-sweet-science-of-bruising/

For a quick fix watch the Barrera, Morales, Marquez fights. Top quality fighters having wars.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 09 Sep 2013, 10:09 am

Id say a couple of great fights would be Gatti vs Ward, Corrales vs Castillo or Pacquiao/JMM/Barrera/Morales for real fights.

If you like the more technically gifted fighters, then tune into a mayweather fight or ward.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Tea_is_for_mugs Mon 09 Sep 2013, 10:16 am

I have been able to see everything worthwhile since 2006 (and alot of bouts I would rather forget)

I have watched only a handful of those fighter Dynaminte so Thank you very much, I think that will plug a few holes.

Also thank you for reminding me of Windy's Vault.

Tea_is_for_mugs

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 09 Sep 2013, 10:57 am

My first fight was Bruno vs McCall at Wembley when he won the world title on points. Think it was 96 or maybe a couple years earlier.

Either or, that was my first fights, and since then ive been hooked as well.

Very addictive yet frustrating sport. I love it.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Sep 2013, 11:07 am

I woukld stick with the heavyweights and work your way down........Heavyweight belt is the best belt in all of Boxing.......

Youtube would be my source for you kid as you could trace the linear history and watch the title change hands up to the current day........

Type in ..Corbett- Fitzsimmons... and see the first ever film of heavyweight title........and go from Fitzsimmons to Jeffries - Burns - Johnson to the present day........

Give you a taste of history and wet your appetite..

Good luck..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 09 Sep 2013, 11:14 am

Get a Fabulous Four/Four Kings dvd, it features Hagler, Hearns, Leonard and Duran and is utterly brilliant.  What an era!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down