The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ruck penalties

Go down

Ruck penalties Empty Ruck penalties

Post by Big Fri 20 Oct 2023, 11:03 am

Bit of a random question for those still playing the game... are clear-outs, as seen week in week out at pro level, allowed in amateur club rugby? The thought was prompted by the hit on Tompkins at the weekend just gone. I sort of understood Dickson's view that he'd gone in for a normal clear-out, and it was unfortunate that the player fell down. But, I really don't like these clear-outs. When I played - and it's been about 20 years since my body gave out - if you ran into a ruck and tried to smash someone out you'd get penalised for charging in. You had to bind then drive, not use your momentum to smash someone out.

For a few years it has struck me as slightly mad that this action is basically rampant at the pro level, and I wondered if the laws had been changed - so I checked this morning, and lo and behold law 15 on the ruck makes no reference to clear-outs. On the contrary 15.7 says "A player must bind onto a team-mate or an opposition player. The bind must precede or be simultaneous with contact with any other part of the body.", and on a slight tangent 15.12 says "Players must endeavour to remain on their feet throughout the ruck" which generally doesn't happen or appear to be considered when people fly in. These seem to be completely at odds with what I am seeing, with players at best vaguely lifting an arm as if they were going to bind, and knocking the opposition player and themselves straight to the floor. So, is this some pro level thing where it is just accepted, for some weird reason, that they are pro and can expect to be smashed around even if it's not really within the rules of the game, or are these hits happening and being allowed at lower levels as well?

Big

Back to top Go down