The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon 2023

+14
Soul Requiem
Oioi
westisbest
slashermcguirk
Oakdene
theslosty
88Chris05
Duty281
the-goon2
No name Bertie
dummy_half
Atila
Henman Bill
sirfredperry
18 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Wimbledon 2023 - Page 3 Empty Wimbledon 2023

Post by sirfredperry Fri 30 Jun - 6:24

First topic message reminder :

Wimbledon draw is published today. Should Djoko and Alcaraz progress at least they won't have to meet before the final unlike RG.

There might be less pressure on Carlos next week as most will have Novak as clear favourite. Alcaraz lost to Sinner in a terrific match last year but given another year's experience and a title at Queen's, Carlos can be expected to go deep this year.

Difficult to see much beyond the top two for the title but would be interested to hear what others might think and who they reckon we should watch out for. Expectations for Murray were somewhat dissipated by his defeat at Queen's by De Minaur in the sort of match you feel he should have done better at if he wanted to do well at SW19.

Still, as Dunblane's finest said himself, no one will fancy meeting him in the first round.

Swiatek went into Wimbledon last year on a massive unbeaten swing but then played horribly. Can't see that happening this year but she'll probably have to battle past the likes of Sabalenka and Rybakina if she wants to take the title.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon 2023 - Page 3 Empty Re: Wimbledon 2023

Post by Guest Mon 10 Jul - 13:10

Henman Bill wrote:I missed the Stan - Novak match but looking at the highlights the embrace at the end was very perfunctory - especially from Stan's side - give that this was perhaps he close of a somewhat storied rivalry

Maybe he isn't a Novak fan or Stan is not keen on anti vaxxers or maybe they just don't get on or who knows maybe I'm reading too much into it
They are supposedly close friends Henman Bill - maybe stan was irked by his own performance

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Jul - 13:12

Defending champion Elena Rybakina is through after Beatriz Haddad Maia retired hurt with a back injury. Rybakina was leading 4-1 at the time of the ending.

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Mon 10 Jul - 13:52

Wawrinka and Djokovic get on well off court..I think wawrinka was more just bothered with how he played. They have always got on well on tour

slashermcguirk

Henman Bill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Jul - 13:55

Daniil Medvedev reaches the quarterfinals after Jiri Lehecka retired injured two sets down.
Medvedev becomes fourth Russian to reach quarters or better at all the slams - Kafelnikov, Safin and Rublev are the others.

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Mon 10 Jul - 15:17

Hurkacz takes the third and Djokovic the fourth set to win: 7-6 7-6 5-7 6-4. It has been said that Hurkacz had the weapons to beat Djokovic and should now get to the final before encountering someone else with the weapons that could beat him.

Andreeva was 6-3 3-0 against Keys but lost 6-3 6-7 2-6
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Jul - 15:31

Christopher Eubanks beats Stefanos Tsitsipas 3-6 7-6(4) 3-6 6-4 6-4. Eubanks plays an exciting, unpredictable style of tennis.
Tsitsipas just isn't very good.

Eubanks faces Medvedev in the quarters, could be a spectacular match.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 10 Jul - 15:44

NNB - Andreeva had a point for 5-1 in that second set before Keys rallied.

No shame in the 16-yr-old losing to an experienced player like Keys but I can't see the American getting much further.

Surprised Hurkacz got a set against Djoko. Novak now plays Rublev. Rybakina only had to play five games before H Maia had to retire and now has the prospect of a repeat of last year's final against Jabeur who is well ahead in her first set v Kvitova.

Just seen the end of the Eubanks victory. Tall, gangly, Afro-Carib, whipping up the crowd, a showman - the guy is Gael Monfils Mark 2. How will he get on against wily Medvedev? Bound to be interesting.

sirfredperry

No name Bertie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Mon 10 Jul - 15:46

Hurkasz put in possibly the best serving performance you will ever see. Djokovic will be relieved to pull through because nobody was going to get those serves back

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 10 Jul - 16:12

Quite sad to see Kvitova, one of my favourite players, getting totally outplayed by Jabeur. Petra's DFs and UEs mounting.

Jabeur eventually put Kvitova out of her misery. On Court One Dimi and Rune are locked at 3-3 in the first.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 10 Jul - 18:19

Well, well, well. Berrettini gets a set up. It's now one set all and they're into the third.

From what I saw of the first set of the Dimi match he and Rune were having a fine struggle. It's one set all and this one could run and run.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 10 Jul - 18:32

Long third game in the third set, with Berrettini saving loads of BPs, ends with Alcaraz breaking.

As usual, the Berrettini BH is the weakness.

Over on Court One, Dimi and Rune are 5-5 in the third in what could turn into a real marathon.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 10 Jul - 18:49

Rune takes a two sets to one lead over Dimi.

Alcaraz still a break up in the third set.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 10 Jul - 19:00

Alcaraz goes two sets to one up. As usual, the instruction playing Berrettini is "Stick it on his backhand."

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Mon 10 Jul - 19:01

Nothing new in tennis, Berrettini can't hit a decent backhand and Dimitrov collapsing

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Mon 10 Jul - 19:03

Alcaraz is outplaying Berrettini. Credit to Alcaraz.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Mon 10 Jul - 19:14

Berrettini has been pretty poor, let's be honest. Just slaps so many 2nd serve returns out, unforgivable at that level

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 10 Jul - 19:23

Rune knocks out Dimi in four. Excellent result for the Dane and disappointment for Dimi for whom a quarter final beckoned.

Yes, Rune was the higher-ranked player, but Dimi was by far the more experienced player and had reached a semi at Wimbledon as far back as 2014. A missed chance for the Bulgarian.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Mon 10 Jul - 19:41

This alcaraz vs Berrettini match has been quite disappointing. I expected a belter of a match but have found the quality pretty poor. Alcaraz has played well but just think Berrittini far too inconsistent

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 10 Jul - 20:37

Zverev must be spitting blood comparing the Berrettini performance against him with what we saw tonight v Alcaraz.

But history was against the Italian. He rarely beats the top players because, whisper it to his fans, HE'S NOT THAT GOOD.

Next up for Carlos is Rune. You have to go with the number one. It was a good match with Dimi today but I thought Grigor should have gone for it a bit more rather than endlessly rallying.

Djoko has not had an easy draw this year. In fact six of the top eight seeds have made it to the quarters. I think he'll beat Rublev tomorrow but let's hope it's a good match.
'

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Mon 10 Jul - 22:31

I am going for Alcaraz vs Medvedev and Djokovic vs Sinner. Sinner has moved quietly along though he has had the most favourable draw

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 11 Jul - 8:01

slashermcguirk wrote:I am going for Alcaraz vs Medvedev and Djokovic vs Sinner. Sinner has moved quietly along though he has had the most favourable draw

Slasher - Doubt many would argue with your choice of a last four. Could well be the top four (who are actually the top four seeds) will make it to the semis in the women's as well.

Sinner always looks young enough to be playing in Junior Wimbledon but he packs a punch or two. Eubanks has a huge game but I can't see him beating Medvedev.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Tue 11 Jul - 8:12

I agree SFP. I think medvedev's game might be a challenging match up for Eubanks, Medvedev so unorthodox and a human wall but the opportunity for Eubanks is if Med keeps standing miles back which is a strange tactic on grass.

Rublev will bring his usual firepower to Djokovic today but I think for Novak having faced a monster hitting Hurkasz will have been ideal preparation. Rublev has a big serve but nothing compared to Hurkasz, Rublev does his damage with his forehand but I think Novak will drag him left and right and work his backhand.

Alcaraz vs Rune should be an interesting one, two big competitors but Alcaraz has more firepower.

Sinner is a definite danger man after taking Novak to 5 sets last year. However he hasn't faced particularly strong opposition over the past week. If he reaches semi finals,Djokovic level could be a shock to the system compared to what he has faced jn the tournament.

If Djokovic doesn't win Wimbledon, I think I would like Sinner to win it. Seems a likeable guy and he has great tools in his game. He has somewhat under delivered so far career wise in my opinion. I know he is super young but I would put his potential not far off Alcaraz to be honest. He also has huge fire power

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 11 Jul - 8:40

Given his position almost standing next to the line judges, Medvedev has to hit huge shots and is open to the drop shot and stop volley.

Eubanks, I think, should come in behind every serve. He doesn't want to get into long rallies with Med.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Jul - 13:36

Swiatek chokes the first set against Svitolina…

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Tue 11 Jul - 14:49

Svitolina does likewise in 2nd set

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 11 Jul - 15:39

...but Svitolina makes no mistake in the third, taking it 6-2 to reach the semis.

May be Swiatek has had too many easy matches where her precision shots and tenacity were enough. Both here today and in the Bencic match which she could easily have lost she's had a opponent prepared to go toe-to-toe with her.

Also you get the idea that Iga is not that sure of herself on grass. Remarkably we'll now have one of Svitolina or Vondrousova in the final.

V came back from 1-4 down in the final set v Pegula today, with the American not happy about having to pause when leading for the roof to be closed. V made the French final not so long ago but has pretty much disappeared off the face of the earth since.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 11 Jul - 16:42

Rublev gets the first break and now serving for the first set at 5-4 v Djoko. The Russian looks far from overawed and they're having some entertaining rallies.

Russian Safuillin levelled his match with Sinner after being a break down in the second set but the Italian has taken the third set for a two sets to one lead.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 11 Jul - 17:04

Rublev got that first set but now trails 0-3 in the second after Djoko won a series of long rallies. Novak's ability to practically do the splits to recover lost-cause balls is incredible.

Sinner is close to victory over Safiullin. In the doubles Murray/Venus have just knocked out the number four seeds.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Jul - 17:15

Jannik Sinner into his first major semi final after seeing off the huge hitting Roman Safiullin 6-4 3-6 6-2 6-2.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 11 Jul - 17:17

Djoko takes the second set 6-1 while Sinner goes thru in four.

Interesting women's final scenario emerging. It could now feature Ukrainian Svitolina in a no-shake-hands title match with Belarus's Sabalenka.

Probably, though, the winner of the Rybakina-Jabeur match will beat Sabalenka.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 11 Jul - 17:36

Djoko goes a break up in the third after some exhausting rallies. Rublev, much the younger man, looks the more tired.

You feel Djoko could well run away with this now.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 11 Jul - 18:13

Djoko did take that third set after a marathon 10th game in which he had to ward off break-back points. Some excellent rallies.

Rublev now likely to join a long list of players who have played very well against Djoko and still.....lost.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 11 Jul - 18:40

Djoko close to victory after securing, and hanging on to, a break in the 4th. Some unbelievable retrieving by Djoko and some wonderful rallies.

Djoko breaks again to take the match. Thru to yet another GS semi and will play Sinner. Tough on Rublev who just happened to be in the wrong part of the draw. The Russian played well and competed hard. But Novak was just too good for him.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 11 Jul - 20:03

Two surprises in the women's quarters today but the men going as expected.

Tomorrow's Jabeur-Rybakina match could go either way, although I would fancy Sabalenka should have too much for Keys.

It's asking a lot of the relatively-inexperienced Eubanks to overcome Medvedev while Alcaraz will see off Rune, methinks.

Last edited by sirfredperry on Wed 12 Jul - 11:39; edited 1 time in total

sirfredperry

the-goon2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 12 Jul - 9:23

sirfredperry wrote:Djoko did take that third set after a marathon 10th game in which he had to ward off break-back points. Some excellent rallies.

Rublev now likely to join a long list of players who have played very well against Djoko and still.....lost.

Possibly Djokovic's greatest strength - winning matches when he doesn't necessarily play as well as his opponent. Hangs in so well because of his consistency and tenacity, so rarely drops his serve, and then nicks either a break or the tie break. Go back to that final with Federer (2018?) and he was clearly the lesser player on court for the first few sets, but clung on and nicked it.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Wed 12 Jul - 12:07

dummy_half wrote:
sirfredperry wrote:...Rublev now likely to join a long list of players who have played very well against Djoko and still.....lost.

Possibly Djokovic's greatest strength - winning matches when he doesn't necessarily play as well as his opponent. Hangs in so well .... Go back to that final with Federer (2018?) and he was clearly the lesser player on court for the first few sets, but clung on and nicked it.
2019.   That was painful because Federer sort of deserved it and knocked out Nadal in the semi-final.  Then someone in the chat said - well Federer only experienced what Roddick experienced multiple times at the hands of Federer. 

Ten years earlier we had (2009):  5–7, 7–6(8–6), 7–6(7–5), 3–6, 16–14 Federer beating Roddick.  
Ten years later we had (2019)...: 7–6(7–5), 1–6, 7–6(7–4), 4–6, 13–12(7–3) Djokovic beating Federer.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Wed 12 Jul - 12:46

Djokovic is so clutch under pressure, its an amazing thing really to perform under that pressure. Even yesterday going a set down against Rublev, there is never any panic. He just resets and goes again and then raced through 2nd set. The hold to take 3rd set 6-4 after facing several break points shows that huge difference. Rublev made a few key errors but so much of it is down to Djokovic because he asks so many questions physically and in particular mentally.

I think Sinner is a big threat though, we know how close he was last year and I wouldn't rule out an upset but so much will come down to the mental side and how he deals with it

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 12 Jul - 14:08

Sabalenka, whose noise levels are now becoming ridiculous, saw off Keys in straight sets while Rybakina and Jabeur are into a final set.

Jabeur has just broken and could now come thru to face the noisy one in the semis.

Med v Eubanks has just begun. Got to go with Med.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 12 Jul - 14:47

Revenge for Jabeur as she reverses last year's final result with a good win over Rybakina.

You feel Jabeur will have to do more with her second serve against big-hitting Sabalenka in the semi. Both these players want it so much so it will be a very intense struggle with the winner a clear favourite to take the title.

If Sabalenka's serve doesn't fall apart and she can hold her nerve she ought to win as she has such a huge game. But I feel she puts enormous pressure on herself and Ons will have the crowd support.

Been watching a bit of the Medvedev match. Not sure why Wimbledon are not charging the Russian for admission as he appears to camp himself in Row B of the stand to receive. Nevertheless, he's taken the first set.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 12 Jul - 15:04

Eubanks 4-1 up in the second set. Medvedev standing so deep that almost any volley his opponent makes is a winner.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 12 Jul - 16:20

Alcaraz takes the first set on a tiebreak. Too many UEs to be a great match and Carlos will have been pleased to have got his nose in front despite being below his best.

There has been an over-reliance on the drop shot and a reluctance to rally as well as some uncharacteristic errors. Rune has been steadier but good serving by Alcaraz snuffed out a couple of 0-30s he had on the Spaniard's serve.

Bad news for the Dane is that he's now trailing with Alcaraz likely to play better from hereon in.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 12 Jul - 16:56

Alcaraz goes two sets to love up and there seems no way back for Rune.

Meanwhile Medvedev has turned it around v Eubanks. First, he squared the match to take it into a 5th and now he leads 5-1. Haven't seen a lot of this but Eubanks has probably not played many three-hour, five-set matches and the inexperience, against a top player, has presumably shown.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 12 Jul - 17:59

So it will be Alcaraz v Medvedev for the right to play Djoko, sorry Djoko or Sinner, in the final.

Thought Rune might get a set against Carlos and his chance came, and went, in the first set, when the number one was a little under par. Still think we've only seen the best of Alcaraz in flashes. Probably a good thing as he will need to be at his best from now on.

Bit surprised Medvedev got taken to five and, at 2-1 down in sets, there was the making of an upset. Good chance, now, that we will see the final that I, for one, was hoping for - Djoko v Alcaraz.

Guess Medvedev is more likely than Sinner to spoil things.

As for the women, I think Jabeur will win it now. Sabalenka on paper will be favourite for the semi but I think nerves and anxiety could afflict her. I've, rather foolishly, written off the chances of Svitolina or Vondrousova. Of course, a Svitolina v Sabalenka final could be quite tasty.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 12 Jul - 19:07

Was really hoping Eubanks and Rune won today.
Shame both lost.

Rune certainly has a great career ahead of him.

Anyone but Djokovic. Hopefully Sinner can get the job done.
Alcarez Djokovic final would be decent, with Alcarez taking the w.

In the woman’s, hopefully Sabelenka can win it.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 12 Jul - 20:15

WisBest
Surely if you didn't want Djoko to win the whole thing you would have hoped for Alcaraz and Medvedev to get thru as they would have, IMHO, far more chance against Djoko than Eubanks or Rune.

I think Djoko WILL win the whole thing. Alcaraz has the best chance of stopping him although he'd have to play the match of his life to do so.

Yes, Rune is a tremendous prospect. He didn't play badly today but probably needed to take that first set during which he seemed the better and more relaxed player.

Medvedev has the next best chance. Djoko would have made mincemeat of Eubanks and would probably have beaten Rune easily too.

I guess you watch Sabalenka with the sound down or with earplugs in. Quite dreadful sounds coming from her at every stroke. In the semi, Jabeur will need to make a lot more first serves than she did today but I'm tipping her to win.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Thu 13 Jul - 8:18

I think Sinner has the best chance of beating Novak of those left in the draw. Sinner is a strong grass court player and has the artillery. Remember Sinner beat Alcaraz quite comfortably at Wimbledon last year before going down in 5 sets to Djokovic.

If Sinner brings his best game he is well capable of the upset with a huge serve and forehand. I hope Djokovic wins but if he doesn't I want Sinner to win the tournament.

Alcaraz should beat Medvedev. I would fancy Medvedev to beat Alcaraz on hard courts but don't see it on grass.

Glad Alcaraz beat Rune and fair play to Eubanks who had an amazing tournament.

Jabeur should win the tournament now, Rybakina was her final I reckon

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 13 Jul - 11:53

Can't agree that Sinner has the best chance of beating Djoko. Indeed of those left in it, I would put his chances last after Alcaraz and Medvedev.

Djoko has been much more impressive this year than last at Wimbledon. He has had a much tougher draw, getting Stan the Man and two top 10 opponents. Last year he never had to play anyone in the top 10.

I doubt whether Sinner will get more than a set in the semi. This is not to denigrate Sinner who is a terrific player.

I think with crowd support today Svitolina will bt V'sova while I'm plumping for Jabeur to make the final.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 13 Jul - 13:29

After a bright start, Svitolina getting demolished by a vibrant Vondrousova who has taken seven games in a row and leads by a set and 3-0.

Svitolina seems unable to cope with deep, swinging balls to her BH and has been guilty of too many UEs. Still time to turn this around, but she'll have to start asap.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 13 Jul - 13:47

V'sova chokes away her big lead as her UEs creep in and Svitolina's previously-shattered confidence returns. Now back on serve at 3-4.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Jul - 13:55

Vondrousova stops a clown show final by putting Svitolina out of her misery 6-3 6-3.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next