The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British TV Crime Series

+4
mountain man
rIck_dAgless
Duty281
Sgt_Pooly
8 posters

Go down

British TV Crime Series Empty British TV Crime Series

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 10 Apr 2023, 10:35 am

I don't live in the UK and I find myself often playing catch up when it comes to good British TV.

One type of genre I think we do especially well is Crime/Detective type shows and I'm hoping I might discover some gems here.

A few of my favourite's over the years have been The Missing, Broadchurch, Unforgotten, The Fall, Line of Duty, Happy Valley, SLow Horses..........and I've just started The Capture which looks like another hit.

Has anybody got and gems I may have missed?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

British TV Crime Series Empty Re: British TV Crime Series

Post by Duty281 Mon 10 Apr 2023, 11:08 am

There was a six-part series on recently, set in Northern Ireland, called Blue Lights. Was pretty decent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Lights_(2023_TV_series)

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Sgt_Pooly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 10 Apr 2023, 11:22 am

Duty281 wrote:There was a six-part series on recently, set in Northern Ireland, called Blue Lights. Was pretty decent.

There we go! Never heard of that one....it's on the list!

Sgt_Pooly

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Tue 11 Apr 2023, 11:16 am

Treason - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treason_(TV_series)

Red Rose - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Rose_(TV_series)

The second is more horror crime but is excellent.

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Tue 11 Apr 2023, 11:24 am

Inspector Morse and spin off of Lewis and Endeavour are favourites on mine. Bit more celebral than others although sometimes plots are so ridiculously convoluted seem unrealisitic.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 14 Apr 2023, 3:42 pm

From years gone by Hinterland was actually a really decent watch. Not perfect but a lot that I enjoyed in there. Good one for a quiet night after work.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sun 11 Jun 2023, 8:58 am

Been watching Annika on BBC, decent watch and unusual for the "breaking the 4th wall" narration.

Not a patch on likes of Morse etc but if you're stuck for something to watch it's good enough.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 11 Jun 2023, 10:56 am

Duty281 wrote:There was a six-part series on recently, set in Northern Ireland, called Blue Lights. Was pretty decent.

I agree...was excellent. Bit like a more modern version of The Bill - on steroids and set in Belfast. Big difference being we actually get to see what the villains are doing and thinking rather than just witnessing everything from the POV of the police characters.

Apart from the story the personal lives of the characters are interesting without taking over . Hope they make a second series.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Sun 11 Jun 2023, 2:23 pm

I really enjoyed Luther. The first 3 series are excellent, 4 and 5 arent as good but still worth watching, and the film on Netflix was pretty good.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 23 Sep 2023, 1:56 pm

Line of duty, not so much a crime drama, more about the police was good (especially seasons 1&2). Broadchurch was also entertaining.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 23 Sep 2023, 5:47 pm

Line of Duty's a cracker. The arc across the first three seasons with the Caddy is fantastic. Keeley Hawes is terrific in those alongside the main cast.

Seasons 4 and 5 I still thought were cracking but just a tad below those first three seasons. Whilst season 6 was an odd one. Starting a bit unevenly, fantastic episodes in the middle, then probably the shows poorest episode with the finale.

Apparently season 7 will be the last. Hopefully they can bring it home in style.

I often thing it's a show that absolutely nails its casting. Which not only elevates the best writing but helps a ton with smoothing over some of the less good stuff in TV. The core cast are excellently and have great chemistry. There is smart use of experienced actors in supporting roles - Neil Morrissey, Paul Higgins, Owen Teale, Tony Pitts all come to mind. Then the additions to focus on in certain seasons - Lennie James, Hawes, Daniel Mays, Thandie Newton, Stephen Graham, Kelly MacDonald - are all terrific. Even some of the cast I wouldn't recognise otherwise put in really good performances. Aiysha Hart as Sam, Maya Sondhi as Mineet, Gregory Piper as that little s**t Ryan.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down