The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who Would Be More Successful?

+11
asoreleftshoulder
Effervescing Elephant
plenth
debaters1
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
The Great Aukster
Biltong
caoimhincentre
dubh_linn
Boyne
TheGreyGhost
15 posters

Go down

Who Would Be More Successful? Empty Who Would Be More Successful?

Post by TheGreyGhost Tue 14 Jun 2011, 12:04 pm

The well publicised and documented gap between the SANZAR and British & Irish sides is either narrowing, or widening depending on your optimism and objectivity in reviewing the results of the last round of inter-hemispherian test match results.

It can't be denied that the SANZAR sides are predominantly ranked in some order 1,2,3 whilst the home nations squabble for the 4-9 set along with France and the waxing and waning Pacific Island sides.

This has led me to ponder the following. Who would see more success? The super 15 champions playing in the 6N, or the 6N champions playing in the Super15?

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Who Would Be More Successful? Empty Re: Who Would Be More Successful?

Post by Boyne Tue 14 Jun 2011, 12:06 pm

I guess all will be revealed in a few weeks time.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by dubh_linn Tue 14 Jun 2011, 12:13 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:The well publicised and documented gap between the SANZAR and British & Irish sides is either narrowing, or widening depending on your optimism and objectivity in reviewing the results of the last round of inter-hemispherian test match results.

It can't be denied that the SANZAR sides are predominantly ranked in some order 1,2,3 whilst the home nations squabble for the 4-9 set along with France and the waxing and waning Pacific Island sides.

This has led me to ponder the following. Who would see more success? The super 15 champions playing in the 6N, or the 6N champions playing in the Super15?

shouldnt that be the Heineken cup(not 6nations) champions playing in the super15??

dubh_linn

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Tue 14 Jun 2011, 12:19 pm

I would love to see how leinster would get on in the S15.

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 14 Jun 2011, 12:26 pm

caoimhincentre wrote:I would love to see how leinster would get on in the S15.

They could do very well, just buy the whole or most of the irish squad, adjust to the conditions for a year and Bob's your uncle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Tue 14 Jun 2011, 12:28 pm

biltongbek wrote:

They could do very well, just buy the whole or most of the irish squad, adjust to the conditions for a year and Bob's your uncle

Clever

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 14 Jun 2011, 1:46 pm

NH club sides have beaten SH national sides.
S15 teams are almost exclusively made up of their own nationals, therefore an NH side should comfortably dispatch a s15 side Wink

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 14 Jun 2011, 1:49 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:NH club sides have beaten SH national sides.
S15 teams are almost exclusively made up of their own nationals, therefore an NH side should comfortably dispatch a s15 side Wink

Sadly the current calendar means that a SXV winner vs HEC winner isn't going to happen any time soon. So until it does, Auckland Blues 47-Brive 17 in 1997 remains the benchmark Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 1:52 pm

Munster have recently lost by two points to the All Blacks and beat Australia in November. I think they'd more than survive in the S15 and as for Leinster or Toulouse, I could see both sides doing well.

On the vice-versa front, the Crusaders are a classy side and would defo be more than a match for any side. Must admit I havent see much of the Queensland Reds but them currently topping the table says something of their abilities. The South African sides have big mobile packs that would do some damage.

My gut feeling though, is that you could take the top 4 or 5 sides from either hemisphere and drop them in to the other and they'd still rise to the top.

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by plenth Tue 14 Jun 2011, 2:40 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:Who would see more success? The super 15 champions playing in the 6N, or the 6N champions playing in the Super15?

A massive factor here would be the national side being given the opportunity to play week in week out over a whole season. Part of what makes club sides capable of challenging national sides is that they are more often than not a more cohesive unit, with a more practiced style and understanding of play. Any national side would make leaps and bounds in development playing so often together. Club sides by comparison will already be operating at a maximum in that regard.

plenth

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Tue 14 Jun 2011, 3:07 pm

dubh_linn wrote:
TheGreyGhost wrote:The well publicised and documented gap between the SANZAR and British & Irish sides is either narrowing, or widening depending on your optimism and objectivity in reviewing the results of the last round of inter-hemispherian test match results.

shouldnt that be the Heineken cup(not 6nations) champions playing in the super15??

No. 6N.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Tue 14 Jun 2011, 3:11 pm

No a great wind up to be honest. it good that people don't really bite as much on v2

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu 16 Jun 2011, 4:36 pm

And the spelling and grammar seems far superior here.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Thu 16 Jun 2011, 4:56 pm

Picking up on grammar makes you look really cool. You rock!
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Thu 16 Jun 2011, 4:59 pm

lol

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 16 Jun 2011, 5:00 pm

biltongbek wrote:

Isn't that what the Bulls did and the Crusaiders are now?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu 16 Jun 2011, 5:16 pm

"This has led me to ponder the following. Who would see more success? The super 15 champions playing in the 6N, or the 6N champions playing in the Super15?"

Why would you compare international teams to clubs? As it happens I would say the top sides in Europe would have no problem competing at the top of the S15, Leinster particularly would in my opinion be potential S15 winners, definately in the same league as the Crusaders, Stormers and Reds.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu 16 Jun 2011, 5:26 pm

Hardly like for like,most Super 15 sides are avalilable to the national test sides
Melbourne Rebels apart.How good are the NH Heineken without SH imports,Top14 sides only 55% qualified for France.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsuperclear Thu 16 Jun 2011, 5:48 pm

Emack - to be fair to Leinster they only had Nacewa and Strauss last year as SH imports in the first XV. They had Hines as well who's technically Scottish and Strauss will be IQ very soon. Most NH sides aren't as bad as it's made out to be in terms of importing bar the French as you say.

Undoubtedly the super 15 sides would be better than say the top 15 NH sides if they were plonked in a league together but I'd say a lot of NH sides would more than hold their own and the likes of Toulouse, Clermont and Leinster could certainly challenge as winners. Super 15 sides would probably win it more though.

mrsuperclear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down