The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it time to announce the scoring after every round ??

5 posters

Go down

Is it time to announce the scoring after every round ?? Empty Is it time to announce the scoring after every round ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 27 Feb 2022, 8:04 pm

As previously alluded to Taylor was 3-1 and 2-2 on his two winning cards after 4 rounds...

There were contentious rounds later on but even Stevie Wonder would have had Catterall 3-1 up after 4..

We all love the mystery of a decision in a close fight but if fighters are going to get stiffed and its obvious then their Corner has every right to pull fighters like Catterall out after 4 even though he is getting the better of it.

Maybe the best thing for corruption is to bring it into the light as it is happening.

No point Catterall types picking up wear and tear in a hard business if they have lost before they have heard the first bell.

Maybe this is how we try to clean this stench up...Out incompetency and fraud before the final bell...Or perhaps maybe these Clowns will be scared of the public disinfectant and do their jobs honestly and properly.

Something needs to change.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Is it time to announce the scoring after every round ?? Empty Re: Is it time to announce the scoring after every round ??

Post by catchweight Sun 27 Feb 2022, 9:42 pm

Not for me.

The biggest issue seems to be that there is absolutely no consequences for poor judging or refereeing. That suggests either no real appetite from within to maintain high standards or there simply isnt enough quality officials available.

Nothing illustrates it more than Ian John Lewis and his continual involvement in officiating in British boxing. There doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason to his incompetence. Ive seen him produce mind boggling cards rewarding ineffective aggression. IVe seen him hand wins to defensive boxers who barely throw a punch. Ive seem him allows some fighters to be battered half to death (think Klitschko v Briggs) and then wave off fights with a fighter who has barely been hurt (example McKenzie v Maccarinelli). Ive seen him score rounds with knockdowns 10-9.

But hes always back the following week without fail. The scoring system shouldnt be overhauled to accommodate the likes of Ian John Lewis.

I find it irritating that bad judging is given a cloak of anonymity by Sky media and those involved in boxing as well. After a bad decision the "judges" are slammed. The offending "card / score" is ridiculed. But seldom is the actual judge named as the issue. Why the omerta? Adam Smith, Johnny Nelson etc want to see judges explain their cards. They know full well that Ian John Lewis is behind it for nth time and will be again before long

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Is it time to announce the scoring after every round ?? Empty Re: Is it time to announce the scoring after every round ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 27 Feb 2022, 10:29 pm

In an ideal World poor officials get chucked out. But Promoters like these guys.most of the time..

Be an embarrassment for Boxing however if fighters winning the fight but down on the cards started quitting in protest.

We would all like to see poor officials chucked out but we all know nothing will get done. The moron who spent a whole fight playing with his phone a while back didn't get reprimanded.

If you can't stop fraud perhaps make it harder to commit..

But you make good points..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 28 Feb 2022, 9:29 am

There isn't a major sport that doesn't have a scoreline, so the idea that cards being withheld adds something to the spectacle is ridiculous. I watched Mchunu-Makabu three weeks back and honestly if I knew anyone in the arena had Makabu within earshot after 6, I'd have known the fix was in and done something more productive with my afternoon.

I think hearing the score every round would be too big a change - but having the cards read out after the 4th, 8th and maybe 10th round would be an idea. Gives a fighter two rounds to make a final push, but also let's me know early on if the fix is in or not.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 28 Feb 2022, 2:58 pm

kingraf wrote:There isn't a major sport that doesn't have a scoreline, so the idea that cards being withheld adds something to the spectacle is ridiculous. I watched Mchunu-Makabu three weeks back and honestly if I knew anyone in the arena had Makabu within earshot after 6, I'd have known the fix was in and done something more productive with my afternoon.

I think hearing the score every round would be too big a change - but having the cards read out after the 4th, 8th and maybe 10th round would be an idea. Gives a fighter two rounds to make a final push, but also let's me know early on if the fix is in or not.

Better idea than mine...After 4 and 8 etc.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Mon 28 Feb 2022, 5:36 pm

kingraf wrote:There isn't a major sport that doesn't have a scoreline ....

Okay as a trial have a four sided score board above the ring that gives a cumulative score based on the judges marking after each round - or using some other more advanced scoring system based on punches landed, effect of the punches, willingness to engage etc.  Even if someone builds up a significant lead they can still be knocked out so that should keep people interested until the final bell.  It might result in some gung ho all or nothing attempts at knocking someone out or getting knocked out themselves if someone finds themselves well behind in the scoring.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Feb 2022, 5:52 pm

I think having the judges in individual rooms away from the ring would be the right way forward. They can’t be influenced by the crowd.
Have them wired up so they can explain, whilst scoring, why they scored each round the way they did
That way any dodgy stuff will be exposed.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 28 Feb 2022, 6:52 pm

Jeff Navarro wrote:I think having the judges in individual rooms away from the ring would be the right way forward. They can’t be influenced by the crowd.
Have them wired up so they can explain, whilst scoring, why they scored each round the way they did
That way any dodgy stuff will be exposed.

We have discussed on this board whether earphones would be a good idea.. But yes a room would give them a 3d view of the fight perhaps they don't get where they are situated.

However Adam Smith pointed out that IJL was just in front of them and the whole of the SKY team had Catterall way ahead

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 01 Mar 2022, 8:11 am

think it would make the sport better to be honest, you'd have fighters knowing they HAVE to up the tempo etc etc. As for judges, don't think it would matter where they were on saturday, them scorecards were done before the bout started.

IJL should be banned from judging and either sent back to school for it or just not allowed to judge anymore. And if they insist on sticking to their ridiculous scoring they should be made to explain exactly how and why they scored a bout the way they did.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down