The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alun Wyn Jones on brink of stunning return to Lions squad

+16
BamBam
lostinwales
Mr Bounce
RiscaGame
mikey_dragon
Oakdene
doctor_grey
Pot Hale
Poorfour
TJ
Collapse2005
R!skysports
Soul Requiem
flyhalffactory
No 7&1/2
LordDowlais
20 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Alun Wyn Jones on brink of stunning return to Lions squad - Page 3 Empty Alun Wyn Jones on brink of stunning return to Lions squad

Post by LordDowlais Mon 12 Jul 2021, 2:27 pm

First topic message reminder :

I could not see where this could be discussed so I started a new thread on it, but it looks as though he is be doing a Lazarus again, I tell you the man is a machine, he could be back for the tests.

Alun Wyn Jones on brink of stunning return to Lions squad and could be in South Africa within days as next 24 hours crucial Jones dislocated his shoulder in the Lions' warm-up match with Japan prior to the squad departure for South Africa wrote:

Alun Wyn Jones on brink of stunning return to Lions squad and could be in South Africa within days as next 24 hours crucial Jones dislocated his shoulder in the Lions' warm-up match with Japan prior to the squad departure for South Africa. Warren Gatland has now revealed the talismanic second row is back in training with Wales at their Vale Resort base this week. Wales captain Alun Wyn Jones could be on the verge of making a stunning return to the Lions squad out in South Africa, with the Test series due to begin in less than two weeks. Jones, who was initially named as tour captain, had to leave the camp after dislocating his shoulder during the warm-up match against Japan prior to the Lions' departure to South Africa. Mischievously, Springboks boss Rassie Erasmus claimed in a press conference that Jones was due to link up with the Lions in the coming days. Elaborating, Gatland then explained that Jones was due to go through a double session with Wayne Pivac's side on Tuesday. The suggestion is that if he comes through unscathed, he will then travel out to South Africa. "A few weeks ago, we didn't think it was an option," said Gatland. wrote:

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Alun Wyn Jones on brink of stunning return to Lions squad - Page 3 Empty Re: Alun Wyn Jones on brink of stunning return to Lions squad

Post by hugehandoff Wed 14 Jul 2021, 5:07 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Seems unfair to AWJ and the other locks selected to be honest. If you are one of the locks playing hard as you can this effectively tells you that you are playing for one spot not two. AWJ is now likely to be parachuted into the team short of fitness and unlikely to perform his best there to be shot at and scapegoated if the Lions lose. Not to mention the potential for damaging his shoulder again and worse than before.

I think I will have a bit more faith in the coaches and medics to make the right calls. Great to have him out there as his presence will only benefit the team....especially the locks if he is deemed unfit for the any of the tests.

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Alun Wyn Jones on brink of stunning return to Lions squad - Page 3 Empty Re: Alun Wyn Jones on brink of stunning return to Lions squad

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 14 Jul 2021, 10:03 pm

Genuine Questions to the Welsh fans: Are you happy that AWJ is back on the Lions tour? Or would you have preferred he stayed home to recuperate properly for the Welsh AIs?

The Boks are the most physical team going and the Tour Captain could be in a real chance of getting seriously hurt. A nasty injury could end his career. I know if it were the best player in my team in similar circumstances I would want him at home. He is after all your talisman.

Not looking to discount AWJ in any way or start a fight. I just want to know your thoughts.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Jul 2021, 10:16 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:Genuine Questions to the Welsh fans: Are you happy that AWJ is back on the Lions tour? Or would you have preferred he stayed home to recuperate properly for the Welsh AIs?

The Boks are the most physical team going and the Tour Captain could be in a real chance of getting seriously hurt. A nasty injury could end his career. I know if it were the best player in my team in similar circumstances I would want him at home. He is after all your talisman.

Not looking to discount AWJ in any way or start a fight. I just want to know your thoughts.

I reckon he’ll retire after the Lions tour anyway! Or very soon after that. So I’m not too worried about his future input for Wales, or him turning out for the AIs. We need to look past him (which sounds so harsh to say), due to his age, and the AIs could be a good chance to look at other options. He definitely won’t be there at the next World Cup and I doubt he’ll be at the next 6N, so we need to be blooding some other guys rapidly.

I’m also of the mind that you don’t miss the present to focus on the future. He could be hit by a bus back in Swansea before he gets to play in the AIs! If he’s passed as fit, feels fit (as much as any 36 year old pro can), is deemed to be match fit by Lions trainers and physios, and is indeed wanted by the selectors for a test, then I say as a Welsh fan ‘go for it’ as tomorrow (in terms of AIs, future 6N, etc.) may never come. Live for the present.

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 15 Jul 2021, 12:32 pm

I’m not Welsh but I agree with oracle. I think after the success of the 6ns this year and the captaining the lions, this tour will be AWJ’s swan song.

He could very well battle on for another season but I don’t think he will. So if he gets injured he’ll not really care
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 15 Jul 2021, 2:52 pm

I suspect the fact that the Lions tour is so close to the 'end' is a major factor in him pushing himself to get back into contention. The risk of longer term damage is mitigated by there not being a rugby playing long term.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 15 Jul 2021, 2:56 pm

Maybe they thought his body wouldn't hold up to a full tour so decided he should only be available for the Tests devil

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 15 Jul 2021, 3:34 pm

hugehandoff wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:Seems unfair to AWJ and the other locks selected to be honest. If you are one of the locks playing hard as you can this effectively tells you that you are playing for one spot not two. AWJ is now likely to be parachuted into the team short of fitness and unlikely to perform his best there to be shot at and scapegoated if the Lions lose. Not to mention the potential for damaging his shoulder again and worse than before.

I think I will have a bit more faith in the coaches and medics to make the right calls. Great to have him out there as his presence will only benefit the team....especially the locks if he is deemed unfit for the any of the tests.

Because the Lions have no previous for playing players who aren't 100% fit.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/lions-hit-a-nerve-with-richard-cockerill-vpflhsv3jsg

Gatland doesn't have to pick up the pieces afterwards and there are many times players should have been saved from their own personal desire to play on. Just feels like another one of those for me. Hopefully not and AWJ is all good to go and has no ill effects but I have a nasty feeling that he's probably 80% fit and chancing it.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Thu 15 Jul 2021, 8:59 pm

Let's all hope he doesn't get injured further and leads the Lions to a winning tour - would be a perfect way to end an amazing career ...

Heaf

flyhalffactory, doctor_grey and formerly known as Sam like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3