The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murray - You Won Queens, But You Won't Win Wimbledon

+30
masterplanl
beeman
daraghj82
consigliare
monty junior
boromir
letigre
lydian
ironclad
erictheblueuk
Calder106
camerajuan
Tom_____
dummy_half
super_realist
superochog
Davie
socal1976
Boston Exile
braveheart101
legendkillar
CaledonianCraig
Josiah Maiestas
pauline1981
Mad for Chelsea
Enforcer
sportslover
yummymummy
BigSal
ROBBO_WONT_BE_CHAMP_AGAIN
34 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Murray -  You Won Queens, But You Won't Win Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty Murray - You Won Queens, But You Won't Win Wimbledon

Post by ROBBO_WONT_BE_CHAMP_AGAIN Mon 13 Jun 2011, 3:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well Andy Murray just celebrated like he had won a grand slam title. SO what he wins Queens again, but the fact of the matter is he will not win Wimbledon. He will never win a Grand Slam, cos he isnt good enough.

If he plays Fed, Rafa or Novak they will destroy him.

ROBBO_WONT_BE_CHAMP_AGAIN

Back to top Go down

Murray -  You Won Queens, But You Won't Win Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty Re: Murray - You Won Queens, But You Won't Win Wimbledon

Post by legendkillar Tue 14 Jun 2011, 6:48 pm

boromir wrote:The performance was dismal, but it was his attitude that made me say disgrace. His characteristic moaning and apathetic attitude when the chips are down. He had no fight. Didn't he realise he was in a grand slam final.

So it wasn't a case that Djokovic played the better tennis?

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Murray -  You Won Queens, But You Won't Win Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty Re: Murray - You Won Queens, But You Won't Win Wimbledon

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 14 Jun 2011, 6:50 pm

I don't think boromir realise that Djokovic went unbeaten for six months from the beginning of December until the end of May.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by boromir Tue 14 Jun 2011, 6:54 pm

Yes djokovic played the better tennis. That wasn't difficult though, Murray was dismal. i.e Your statement does not negate mine.

boromir

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 14 Jun 2011, 6:56 pm

So to play to Djokovic's level of tennis is not difficult? I wish everything was that simple

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 14 Jun 2011, 6:59 pm

boromir an interesting thought but why no likewise comments aimed at every other top player (INCLUDING Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer) who fell to defeats against Novak Djokovic from December 2010 to late May 2011.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Tue 14 Jun 2011, 6:59 pm

boromir - you are a funny guy tell us a bit about yourself.

Apart from causing ructions about Federer ( and you have only made a few posts ) it's now Murrays turn.

Are you the same boromir that had no friends on 606?

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 14 Jun 2011, 7:09 pm

For evidence during Djoko's unbelievable run here are some of his results against the GOAT Roger Federer:-

Dubai Final:-

Beat Federer 6-3 6-3 (so just as much a mauling there for the GOAT as Murray suffered)

Australian Open Semi:-

Beat Federer in straight sets again winning 7-6 7-5 6-4

Paribas Open:-

Federer beaten again 6-3 3-6 6-2

As for Rafael Nadal:-

Paribas Open:-

Nadal beaten 4-6 6-3 6-2

Sony Ericsson Open:-

Nadal beaten 4-6 6-3 7-6

Madrid Open:-

Nadal beaten in straight sets 7-5 6-4

Rome Masters:-

Another straight sets defeat for Nadal 6-4 6-4

So where are your attacks on other players?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 14 Jun 2011, 7:12 pm

To be fair guys boromir has stated a positive that Murray has a great record against the good players on tour. I sense he is not a fan of Murray's 'on court' attitude.

Please can we make sure we don't venture to 'punches' being thrown?

Thanks Smile

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 14 Jun 2011, 7:20 pm

Fair enough. My above post does underline how rich a vein of form Novak Djokovic was in. boromir you are wrong to question Andy's fighting spirit as we have seen that so many times in the past few weeks alone. However, he has his mental lapses (not many of late) and he needs to stay tuned in/focussed call it what you will throughout these crunch matches and then I am sure he will win sets and perhaps even slams. However, doesn't that speak volumes for him that he has reached THREE slam finals (unheard of for a British player in the open era) and yet we are admitting there is still room for improvement in his game - a frightening thought eh?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 14 Jun 2011, 7:24 pm

Superbly put CC Smile

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:43 pm

In the AO final Djokovic played to a really high standard for the whole match never really dropping a level and Murray was well beaten. If you look at Djokovic results in the previous rounds (including Federer in the semis) he was playing at and continued to play at that level even until Federer beat him at Roland Garros. One problem with Andy Murray appears to be playing consistently throughout a full match. He either starts off slowly or drops his concentration mid match. Against most players he can get away with it because he is the better player but against the top three it makes it an uphill struggle to get back in the match. If he could play to the standard that he displayed against Roddick and maintain that consistently in finals I'm sure he would win slams.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:52 pm

Well that is the point I made earlier Calder. Frightening to think he has reached three slam finals and yet there are areas in his game to be improved - mentalilty better tuning himself in and improving first serve percentage and second serve beefing up a bit. I'd be more concerned if he had reached three finals, played his absolute best and lost with no room for improvement which isn't the case with Andy. Three slam finals anf room for improvement - if he finds that improvement then surely a slam win is on the cards.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:09 pm

I think that's what Djokovic did this year. After being the Number 3 player more or less for the last 4 years (with the same inconsistencies as Andy) he finally found the game and more importantly confidence to kick on to the next level. Hopefully now Murray has the confidence from the clay season and Queens that he can also kick on to that level.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:45 am

Calder and Caledonian, have to agree that the biggest thing Murray needs is a bit more maturing and confidence. And there are areas of his game that he can improve, the second serve, the forehand up the line. Andy in my mind might be the most naturally gifted tennis player when compared to Nadal and Nole. But he also is probably at this stage of his life the most immature mentality of the three.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 15 Jun 2011, 7:18 am

Well socal, in the last few weeks anyway, his mind seems in a much better place so lets hope he can continue in that vein. At times at Queen's Club his first serve was very impressive so again if he can get that going in the bigger matches that would be a massive boost to his chances as well.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 15 Jun 2011, 9:29 am

CC
I didn't see that much of Andy at Queens (family commitments...), but from the little I saw it looked like he had worked on the ball toss for the serve, and was throwing the ball a little higher - this should be a good change because I think Andy's first serve goes wrong when he lets the ball get a bit low and so he either served into the net or drops below the ball and serves too long.

I still want him to go for a bit more on the 2nd serve than just the kicker that often lands mid service box and sits up.

The forehand certainly looked better during the FO, but as Socal points out, there is still room for improvement on the up the line and the off forehand (the cross court shot has always been good).

I get the impression that he is taking some of the advise from the new coaching team and making a few smallish technical changes to improve his game. Also, as you say, his head seems to be in a good place at the moment.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Wed 15 Jun 2011, 9:37 am

I agree with you dummy-half. I'm not that up on the technicalities of serving but have definitely had the impression that over the past few tournaments Andy has served a lot less into the net. Think that the new coaching set up seems to be paying off in some ways.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 15 Jun 2011, 9:42 am

The key phrase is - room for improvement. Not bad when you've already reached three slam finals. Realistic Murray fans realise he has areas to improve in and boy if he does that then a slam win will follow.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 15 Jun 2011, 10:13 am

I think it would be a big deal for tennis to have a big infusion of interest and energy coming from britain if Andy Murray wins a grandslam. The olympics are coming, the year end championship is held at the o2, and there is always wimbeldon. Murray wins a slam and I think we will see more interest and subsequently even more revenue coming for the tour. Great britain although small in terms of size with its buying power and love of sports could be a growth market for tennis.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 15 Jun 2011, 10:19 am

Well during rain breaks at Queen's both John Lloyd and Andrew Castle on the BBC disagreed with you. I think Castle said something like it would make no difference to the British public if Murray won Wimbledon as tennis can't compete with the likes of football, cricket and rugby in terms of people participation. I think he ended by saying tennis in Britain has always been a minority sport played by the privileged few and he felt sure that is how it would remain no matter what Andy Murray achieves. His opinion though not mine.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 15 Jun 2011, 10:38 am

I disagree Caledonian, when was the last time tennis had a british grandslam champion, not in anyone's lifetime. I think it would be a huge boost to the sport. People love a winner and they love a novelty. A murray grandslam the first in 70 years would give them both. I think the impact would be large, at the sametime i don't think for example it would make tennis the #1 sport in Britain. But maybe kick it up three or 4.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 15 Jun 2011, 10:41 am

Virginia Wade 1977. I can't remember any decent British players that recognised Wade as an inspiration to their tennis career.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Wed 15 Jun 2011, 10:44 am

Judy Murray was on Talksport yesterday and said more or less the same thing as Andrew Castle. My interpretation of what she said was that the tennis setup in Britain needs to make the game more accessible to a wider spectrum of the population to allow us to produce more than the occassional top player.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Wed 15 Jun 2011, 2:56 pm

Davie wrote:socal - why do you say we *should* be supporting him? Just because he is British?

I don't like Murray, I don't like Rooney or Gerrard. I don't like Martin Laird (upcoming British golfer). I don't like Ian Bell (cricket). I don't like Ronnie O'Sullivan or John Higgins. There are plenty of British sportsmen I *do* like. Also plenty of non-British sportsmen I like and dislike.

I see no reason to "like" someone just because of the country they represent

Whats wrong with Martin Laird? i can see why you might not like the others, but he seems a really nice guy who works hard at what he does. Not arrogant, always complementary to others. Bizarre one! Shocked

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 15 Jun 2011, 2:57 pm

monty junior wrote:
Davie wrote:socal - why do you say we *should* be supporting him? Just because he is British?

I don't like Murray, I don't like Rooney or Gerrard. I don't like Martin Laird (upcoming British golfer). I don't like Ian Bell (cricket). I don't like Ronnie O'Sullivan or John Higgins. There are plenty of British sportsmen I *do* like. Also plenty of non-British sportsmen I like and dislike.

I see no reason to "like" someone just because of the country they represent

Whats wrong with Martin Laird? i can see why you might not like the others, but he seems a really nice guy who works hard at what he does. Not arrogant, always complementary to others. Bizarre one! Shocked

To golf section please lads

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by consigliare Mon 04 Jul 2011, 4:04 am

camerajuan wrote:I can't believe the narrow mindedness of the OP and the haters.

They keep saying how Rafa brushed Andy aside at the FO and giving that as evidence(not just on here). They all forget that Rafa has just lost on grass to the world number 19 whom Andy just beat.
I can't believe the blind naivity from the lap dog lovers. No clue about the pecking order of top level sport.

Do you really not realise that at this stage, Rafa Nadal does not care about winning Queens again. Murray does, he thrives on maxing out 100% in these type of events where he can feel like the top dog for a while and his brainwashed public can pretend he's this great genius, and all those such labels he get's given. Different pririties here.

Nadal had just come through the gruelling marathon in the Paris dirt again, is all too aware of his recent medical history due to too much wear and tear building up so of course something had to give. He's not going to make that mistake again after getting away with such a seriously career threatening condition. He simply used this as a little warm up to get used to a bit of matchplay on grass again before recuperating and going hard at another Wimbledon bid again.

This is a guy with a champions mentality who has moved on from the little quick fire stuff and is focusing on majors, much like Federer became disinterested and everyone started getting over excited and reading too much into Murray's small time "wins" over him.

consigliare

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 04 Jul 2011, 8:11 am

Sorry consigliare you just don't have a clue do you? ALL tennis players are winners and try whatever event they are in. I don't see you disrespecting wins for Djokovic in Monte Carlo or Rome but here you are having a go at Murray's Queens Club win I wonder why?

I tell you what you better check the history of that tournament and see the other great players AND champions that have won that tournament. All of whom value that tournament greatly Murray really sticks in your craw doesn't he?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by daraghj82 Mon 04 Jul 2011, 11:56 am

murray atm is not good enough to win a slam, no offence here to any posters here from scotland Wink

daraghj82

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline1981 Mon 04 Jul 2011, 12:40 pm

It made my day when rafa beat murray it was great

pauline1981

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Mon 04 Jul 2011, 5:26 pm

pauline1981 wrote:It made my day when rafa beat murray it was great

🤦 🤦 🤦

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by beeman Mon 04 Jul 2011, 9:16 pm

pauline1981 wrote:It made my day when rafa beat murray it was great

hehe, the enigma that is Pauline strikes again!

Tell me, do you giggle with delight when animals get run over in the street or kiddies get their sweets stolen? Or is your pleasure reserved for Andy Murray?
Not bothered either way but your posts do make me chuckle...

Didn't you say in another thread that you'd had a fiver on murray to beat Nadal?

beeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Jul 2011, 9:36 pm

Tell me, do you giggle with delight when animals get run over in the street or kiddies get their sweets stolen?

Laugh

and again

Laugh

beeman, the only explanation that comes to mind... Pauline must have a very close knit family.

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 04 Jul 2011, 10:06 pm

I am hoping that pauline doesn't giggle at that sort of stuff. Though she might get her fiver back if betfred refund losing bets laughing

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Mon 04 Jul 2011, 10:10 pm

I think if you check her posts, mainly one liners there also reference to her being in a wheel chair.

Go easy guys.

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 06 Jul 2011, 12:25 pm

Nevermind he still won at Queen's though???? Wink
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 06 Jul 2011, 12:57 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Nevermind he still won at Queen's though???? Wink

Yes and joins a distinguished line of past winners such as:-

1979 John McEnroe
1980 John McEnroe
1981 John McEnroe
1982 Jimmy Connors
1983 Jimmy Connors
1984 John McEnroe
1985 Boris Becker
1986 Tim Mayotte
1987 Boris Becker
1988 Boris Becker
1989 Ivan Lendl
1990 Ivan Lendl
1991 Stefan Edberg
1992 Wayne Ferreira
1993 Michael Stich
1994 Todd Martin
1995 Pete Sampras
1996 Boris Becker
1997 Mark Philippoussis
1998 Scott Draper
1999 Pete Sampras
2000 Lleyton Hewitt
2001 Lleyton Hewitt
2002 Lleyton Hewitt
2003 Andy Roddick
2004 Andy Roddick
2005 Andy Roddick
2006 Lleyton Hewitt
2007 Andy Roddick
2008 Rafael Nadal
2009 Andy Murray
2010 Sam Querrey
2011 Andy Murray
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:01 pm

Yep he joins Sam Querrey, surely slam winning form that is!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:07 pm

I see you choose to ignore all the other winners there (greats of the game) and by the way he doesn't exactly joins Querrey as Murray has won it twice.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:10 pm

Quite a few 'one off' winners of Queens (Scott Draper, Querrey, Tim Mayotte) that don't add much to the lustre, but look at those who have won more than once - Murray is the only one who has not (yet) won a GS event.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:14 pm

Well that's cause he's a bo3 player, not cut out for 2 weeks of bo5.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:48 pm

Wow really? Not many current day pros can boast as impressive a record of finals and semis in slam events?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Wed 06 Jul 2011, 3:07 pm

Don't waste your breath CC !!

Last edited by yummymummy on Wed 06 Jul 2011, 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 06 Jul 2011, 3:13 pm

True yummy I'll leave him to stew in his hatred.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline1981 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 3:14 pm

I am a wumon

Last edited by pauline1981 on Wed 06 Jul 2011, 4:23 pm; edited 2 times in total

pauline1981

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 06 Jul 2011, 3:41 pm

Well so far i've been right with regards to Murray winning slams is concerned...

you shouldn't keep doubting me Craig thumbsup
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 06 Jul 2011, 4:39 pm

Where on this forum,or the old 606 that I frequented have I ever said Andy would win a slam? He may never win a slam but even if he doesn't he has still already had a massively successful tennis career - the most successful British player since Fred Perry in the mid-1930's, one of around an elite group of just over twenty male players in tennis history to have made the semis (or better) at all four slam events and his career still has a long course to run. I have plenty to be proud of with regards Andy Murray's achievements thank you very much.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Wed 06 Jul 2011, 4:55 pm

JM

You obviously don't like Andy Murray - That's your choice

But will you please cease with all the put-downs and the
snide comments concerning him! I notice you don't seem
to target any other player per se !!!!!1

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 06 Jul 2011, 5:22 pm

If you can't handle it yummy, you should maybe leave?
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Wed 06 Jul 2011, 5:34 pm

The same applies to you JM

But I was *here* 4 years ago (Under the same user name)
Where were you

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Wed 06 Jul 2011, 5:37 pm

sportslover wrote:I think if you check her posts, mainly one liners there also reference to her being in a wheel chair.

Go easy guys.

And what's that got to do with the price of fish ?

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next