The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brexit

+16
Pr4wn
superflyweight
BamBam
Samo
dummy_half
alfie
Galted
Soul Requiem
guildfordbat
MonkeyMan
Luckless Pedestrian
navyblueshorts
lostinwales
king_carlos
CaledonianCraig
Duty281
20 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

Brexit - Page 8 Empty Brexit

Post by Duty281 Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:53 am

First topic message reminder :

"man that negotiated the Australia deal with the EU" - Who is this man? I only ask because Australia don't have a deal with the EU; they are, however, in the process of negotiating one.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Brexit - Page 8 Empty Re: Brexit

Post by Samo Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:01 pm

P&O ferries suspends all services as it plans on sacking 800 workers to replace them with cheap foreign labour.

So much for Brexit stopping this from happening. Seems like leaving the EU and losing regulations protecting workers rights wasnt a great idea after all.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:24 pm

I'm sure there'll be a half-hearted attempt to boycott P&O which'll be forgotten as soon as they drop their prices for a week.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:04 pm

Samo wrote:P&O ferries suspends all services as it plans on sacking 800 workers to replace them with cheap foreign labour.

So much for Brexit stopping this from happening. Seems like leaving the EU and losing regulations protecting workers rights wasnt a great idea after all.

What regulations protecting workers' rights have been lost since leaving the EU, and how do these apply to the scenario described?

I believe any such regulations derived from EU law e.g. the Working Time Directive were retained after leaving; in most areas, of course, UK law already went further than EU law. But I'm sure you have some examples to correct me on this point.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:16 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Samo wrote:P&O ferries suspends all services as it plans on sacking 800 workers to replace them with cheap foreign labour.

What regulations protecting workers' rights have been lost since leaving the EU, and how do these apply to the scenario described?

I believe any such regulations derived from EU law e.g. the Working Time Directive were retained after leaving; in most areas, of course, UK law already went further than EU law. But I'm sure you have some examples to correct me on this point.

There hasn't been the loss of any regulations protecting workers' rights, but that's not the real issue here.  Instead, this is an example of how yet another one of the claims put forward by the leave campaign was not accurate.  Brexit was supposed to deliver a high-skilled, high-wage economy in which British workers were no longer going to be undercut by the mass hiring of low paid agency workers (whether from the EU or otherwise - although Farage and co were obsessed with the idea of Eastern European fruit pickers).

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:51 pm

superflyweight wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

There hasn't been the loss of any regulations protecting workers' rights, but that's not the real issue here.  Instead, this is an example of how yet another one of the claims put forward by the leave campaign was not accurate.  Brexit was supposed to deliver a high-skilled, high-wage economy in which British workers were no longer going to be undercut by the mass hiring of low paid agency workers (whether from the EU or otherwise - although Farage and co were obsessed with the idea of Eastern European fruit pickers).

Also worth pointing out none of the French workers lost their jobs, although I'm sure thats just a coincidence.

Another coincidence is P&O citing "post Brexit cross-channel red tape" as a factor in the business downturn. Again, I'm sure thats just a coincidence.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:01 am

superflyweight wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Valid points but Duty's post in response to the highlighted.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:11 am

Soul Requiem wrote:
superflyweight wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Valid points but Duty's post in response to the highlighted.

I know, but I think focussing on that issue is a bit of a red herring. This could have happened whether we left or not, but one of the supposed benefits of leaving was that this wouldn't happen.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:36 am

superflyweight wrote:

I know, but I think focussing on that issue is a bit of a red herring.  This could have happened whether we left or not, but one of the supposed benefits of leaving was that this wouldn't happen.  

It is and it isn't. With regards to P&O staff it couldn't matter less, they've been screwed and that cannot be brushed under the carpet. On the other hand though misinformation of any kind needs to be challenged.

Soul Requiem

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:50 am

Laugh

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Samo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:18 am

Soul Requiem wrote:
superflyweight wrote:

I know, but I think focussing on that issue is a bit of a red herring.  This could have happened whether we left or not, but one of the supposed benefits of leaving was that this wouldn't happen.  

It is and it isn't. With regards to P&O staff it couldn't matter less, they've been screwed and that cannot be brushed under the carpet. On the other hand though misinformation of any kind needs to be challenged.

This amount of irony is head-exploding.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:44 am

Pr4wn wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:
superflyweight wrote:

I don't always agree with Soul, but I don't know of him continually posting lies and misinformation, as Samo frequently does. Am I misguided on this?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:57 am

Duty281 wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:
superflyweight wrote:

I don't always agree with Soul, but I don't know of him continually posting lies and misinformation, as Samo frequently does. Am I misguided on this?

It's the irony of a die-hard Brexiter complaining about misinformation. The passage of Brexit was based on lies and misinformation. Surely even you can admit that.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:00 am

Of course I'm not saying that people should post misinformation, but people in glass houses etc.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:01 am

Am I a die hard brexiteer? Or are you just generalising that all Brexit voters are the same?

Soul Requiem

Pr4wn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:34 pm

Rees-Mogg saying that enforcing the governments own deal - in relation to incoming border checks on goods from the EU - would be an act of self harm.

Anyone willing to admit they were conned yet?

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:17 pm

Bloody French, how dare them impose checks on people travelling from Dover, causing queues of up to 4 hours. Didnt they get the memo that was just supposed to be “Project Fear”?

How dare a sovereign nation control their borders whilst full EU members.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:42 am

I was waiting for you to blame French understaffing on Brexit.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:26 am

There werent any understaffing problems before we left. Funny that.

Its incredible to see people try and blame an EU country for treating a 3rd country who chose to be a 3rd country as a 3rd country.

Bloody French. They should be doing more to accompdate us. Who won the bloody war anyway?

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:34 am

A comment of no substance whatsoever... Again.

Instead of trotting out the same nonsense, try looking into the actual reasons for the delays. Assuming Brexit is to blame for everything doesn't wash any more.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:44 am

Samo wrote:There werent any understaffing problems before we left. Funny that.

Eh?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36877177

2016 - The Port of Dover authority said the French border control booths in Dover were "seriously understaffed" on Friday night, when problems began.

Long queues at Dover happen every year, Brexit or no Brexit. Almost as though the common factor to it isn't Brexit.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:27 am

Duty281 wrote:

Eh?

2016 - The Port of Dover authority said the French border control booths in Dover were "seriously understaffed" on Friday night, when problems began.

Long queues at Dover happen every year, Brexit or no Brexit. Almost as though the common factor to it isn't Brexit.

And if you believe that, ladies and gentlemen, you'll believe anything.

Faces are red, passports are blue. You, over there. Back in the queue.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:36 am

I've lived in Kent my entire life and have routinely been affected by traffic on the M25 for over 25 years now. This happens all the time and whilst Brexit is a convenient excuse for many it isn't the reason for the delays. It's the beginning of the summer holidays so the understaffing of the border on the French side creates issues.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:42 am

Soul Requiem wrote:I've lived in Kent my entire life and have routinely been affected by traffic on the M25 for over 25 years now. This happens all the time and whilst Brexit is a convenient excuse for many it isn't the reason for the delays. It's the beginning of the summer holidays so the understaffing of the border on the French side creates issues.

So the checking of all passports, as opposed to the checking of barely any passports, has no effect at all? Are you really that blinkered?

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:47 am

Pr4wn wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:I've lived in Kent my entire life and have routinely been affected by traffic on the M25 for over 25 years now. This happens all the time and whilst Brexit is a convenient excuse for many it isn't the reason for the delays. It's the beginning of the summer holidays so the understaffing of the border on the French side creates issues.

So the checking of all passports, as opposed to the checking of barely any passports, has no effect at all? Are you really that blinkered?

So understaffing in other words.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:48 am

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

That would be a yes, then.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:50 am

Great input again, it's as if these problems haven't always existed. If I shout Brexit loud enough it must be true.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:52 am

Pr4wn wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Eh?

And if you believe that, ladies and gentlemen, you'll believe anything.

Faces are red, passports are blue. You, over there. Back in the queue.

Yes, because this has been happening since (at least) the 1980s. If this were a new problem, you might be able to blame Brexit.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:56 am

Pr4wn wrote:

All passports were checked going into France from the UK pre-Brexit, as the UK was never in Schengen.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:01 am

Duty281 wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:

All passports were checked going into France from the UK pre-Brexit, as the UK was never in Schengen.

Having made the crossing a few times before, this is just rubbish. Either that, or you class a quick wave as a check. All passports now have to be stamped. A huge difference.

Fewer half-truths, please.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:08 am

Pr4wn wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:

Having made the crossing a few times before, this is just rubbish. Either that, or you class a quick wave as a check. All passports now have to be stamped. A huge difference.

You didn't mention stamps in your original post, which will soon be phased out in any case.

It doesn't negate the central point that long queues at Dover have been happening for decades, so it isn't related to Brexit.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:12 am

Duty281 wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:

You didn't mention stamps in your original post, which will soon be phased out in any case.

It doesn't negate the central point that long queues at Dover have been happening for decades, so it isn't related to Brexit.

You knew exactly what you were doing, equating checks now to checks then, knowing full well that the checks now are much more thorough and take much longer.

Absolutely textbook Brexit, that.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:15 am

Pr4wn wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:

You knew exactly what you were doing, equating checks now to checks then, knowing full well that the checks now are much more thorough and take much longer.

Absolutely textbook Brexit, that.

No, I wasn't equating, you just made a claim that 'barely any passports' were checked pre-Brexit, which is demonstrably false.

Duty281

Pr4wn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:44 pm

Without having scrutinised the figures , I'd have thought it is reasonable to suggest that (a) there have often been delays in busy periods ; and (b) that added complications caused by Brexit have made them a bit worse ?

Hard to see how things would have been streamlined...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:31 pm

Its worth noting that the port of Dover asked for £33m of investment after Brexit because they knew this was coming, but were only given 0.1% of that.

Its also worth noting that this isnt even the final implementation. Once the EU requires biometric checks for 3rd countries this can get much worse.

But yeah, keep blaming the French. Imagine being able to control your borders, do they not know people have summer holidays to go on?

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:01 pm

alfie wrote:Without having scrutinised the figures , I'd have thought it is reasonable to suggest that (a) there have often been delays in busy periods ; and (b) that added complications caused by Brexit have made them a bit worse ?

Hard to see how things would have been streamlined...

This is it. It's not a good enough defence to say, 'ah, this or that problem isn't caused solely by Brexit'. That's not the point. The point is that Brexit was meant to ease problems, not add to them.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:00 am

So have we taken back control or not? Because either we have and this is our fault, or its Frances fault and we havent.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:09 am

We have and it’s obviously France’s fault for not treating us as an exception. Borders are for those yucky foreigners, not us mighty, plucky Brits

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:46 am

Samo wrote:So have we taken back control or not? Because either we have and this is our fault, or its Frances fault and we havent.

Do explain because this post makes no sense.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:04 am

Soul Requiem wrote:
Samo wrote:So have we taken back control or not? Because either we have and this is our fault, or its Frances fault and we havent.

Allow me to spoon-feed you. If this indeed is the fault of the French then we have not, as promised, taken back control. If we have taken back control then we can, and probably already should already have, fixed the problems in Dover. If we haven't taken back control, then only the French can fix the problems.

Liz Truss is saying that this is all the fault of the French, which the usual Brexit teat-suckers are of course believing. That means that we clearly haven't taken back control.

Make sense?

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:10 am

Please can you use your mod powers to add Brexit teat sucker to Soul’s profile as a badge? It’s most appropriate

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:15 am

Pr4wn wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:

Allow me to spoon-feed you. If this indeed is the fault of the French then we have not, as promised, taken back control. If we have taken back control then we can, and probably already should already have, fixed the problems in Dover. If we haven't taken back control, then only the French can fix the problems.

Liz Truss is saying that this is all the fault of the French, which the usual Brexit teat-suckers are of course believing. That means that we clearly haven't taken back control.

Make sense?

You'll have to spoon feed me in more simple terms as that makes no sense at all. Issues with border control on the French side has nothing to do with the UK 'taking back control'.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:17 am

Maybe 'taking back control' means more than I thought. Maybe we're taking back control of France and reviving the spirit of Henry V.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:28 pm

Taking back control didnt mean a Frak thing, and thats the problem. Didnt stop millions buying in to it regardless.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8