The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bob Willis Trophy

+6
LondonTiger
alfie
JDizzle
guildfordbat
Duty281
jimbohammers
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Bob Willis Trophy - Page 2 Empty Bob Willis Trophy

Post by jimbohammers Thu 30 Jul 2020, 10:37 am

First topic message reminder :

Been a while since i posted on here, hope everyone is well.

Firstly RIP Bob Willis, a proper legend.

With cricket getting underway in 2 days time i suppose i should start the thread!

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Bob Willis Trophy - Page 2 Empty Re: Bob Willis Trophy

Post by Gooseberry Mon 07 Sep 2020, 6:03 pm

Jack Leach has taken a wicket in a proper game of cricket!

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 08 Sep 2020, 6:54 am

Gooseberry wrote:Jack Leach has taken a wicket in a proper game of cricket!

No. Jack didn't get any. Was Joe Leach in Somerset's second innings Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 08 Sep 2020, 9:23 am

Good effort to bump up your guy Leach though, goose. 😉

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 08 Sep 2020, 12:31 pm

Essex take a big step to making the final by beating Middlesex by nine wickets. Porter, Cook and Harmer again doing heavy damage with the ball.

Somerset currently floundering against Worcestershire - Somerset leading by 136 with just four second innings wickets remaining. Might be time for another gallant last wicket partnership? The winners of this one will likely make the final, with Derbyshire and Yorkshire both having difficulties in t'North group.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 08 Sep 2020, 2:13 pm

Somerset have been remarkable in their lack of runs from the top order, yet their continuing winning.

Yorkshire are in a strongish position (ahead by about 70 with 5 first innings wickets left), but having lost yesterday they're up against it for time, and need to collect bonus points.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 08 Sep 2020, 2:24 pm

So Essex are confirmed as one of the finalists. Winner of Somerset v Worcestershire takes the other spot ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 08 Sep 2020, 2:56 pm

alfie wrote:So Essex are confirmed as one of the finalists. Winner of Somerset v Worcestershire takes the other spot ?

If Worcestershire win, Derbyshire could still sneak in if they win with enough bonus points (not looking likely at the moment); Somerset through with a win or a draw. I think Yorkshire are too far back, having substantially fewer bonus points in part because of the Roses match being virtually washed out.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 08 Sep 2020, 3:21 pm

Bell out for 90 in his final FC innings. No fairy-tale end for the five-time Ashes winner.

Somerset have set Worcestershire a very tough 245 to win - young Tom Lammonby getting his second FC century (in just his fifth FC match) with a 107*. Even more impressive when you consider no other batsman made higher than 21.

Looks like a Somerset/Essex final...the two strongest teams in FC county cricket.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 08 Sep 2020, 3:50 pm

Brilliant knock by Lammonby! I believe they haven’t conceded over 200 this year in the BWT, so that should be plenty to see them through through...

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 08 Sep 2020, 9:41 pm

Worcs 58/2 in pursuit of the 245 so, whilst Somerset are clearly favourites, the batting side have given themselves a half-decent start going into the final day of the regular season.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 09 Sep 2020, 1:39 pm

alfie wrote:

Not a ball bowled by Jack in the Worcs chase - can’t find anything about an injury, but he must be.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 09 Sep 2020, 1:54 pm

Might be a few nerves among the Somerset team as this eighth wicket stand takes Worcs within 74 runs...

Don't know why Leach hasn't bowled ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 09 Sep 2020, 2:39 pm

All settled then...Somerset v Essex for the final thumbsup

Don't think anyone could argue they aren't there by right.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 09 Sep 2020, 3:03 pm

The right two teams in the final, I think we'd agree. Meanwhile, Yorkshire have finished top of the North group, after Derbyshire finally fell to defeat. Yorkshire were just four points shy of overhauling Essex, with two-rain affected draws affecting the White Rose most adversely.

Hopefully the final, despite being played in autumn, will be not destroyed as a contest by rain and bad light. And hopefully Somerset, who I backed at 5/1 at the start, will triumph.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 09 Sep 2020, 4:34 pm

Duty281 wrote:The right two teams in the final, I think we'd agree. Meanwhile, Yorkshire have finished top of the North group, after Derbyshire finally fell to defeat. Yorkshire were just four points shy of overhauling Essex, with two-rain affected draws affecting the White Rose most adversely.

Three teams deserved to make the final, but of course only two could.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 09 Sep 2020, 7:02 pm

JDizzle wrote:
alfie wrote:

Not a ball bowled by Jack in the Worcs chase - can’t find anything about an injury, but he must be.

Ha yes I am going to try and style it out and say I meant the catch he took but Whistle

Rotten luck for him if he is injured again, and a genuine concern for the winter tours. I cant see anything in reports that suggest he was though (including somersets own commentary), just a note that all the wickets were falling to seam. So maybe they just chose not to bowl him?

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 22 Sep 2020, 6:59 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/54247914

The five-day Lord's final starts tomorrow at 10:30, BBC and Sky streaming it live and for free. Remarkably enough for September there's only a bit of rain around so a natural conclusion looks likely. If the game is drawn, the team with the highest first-innings score will take the trophy.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 23 Sep 2020, 5:35 pm

Somerset put into bat and are 119/4 at stumps on a rain-interrupted first day - Byrom's positive unbeaten half-century, with some eye-catching shots, a clear highlight for the batting side. Porter and Cook bowled very well in good bowling conditions, Beard and Harmer not so much.

With this pitch, the murky overhead conditions, Somerset's great bowling attack, and Essex having to bat last, I think 200 will be competitive, 250 will be a strong score and anything above 300 will be match-winning. So I give the advantage to Somerset after day one.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 23 Sep 2020, 6:53 pm

Somerset still have the strongest part of their batting line up to come too!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 24 Sep 2020, 8:59 am

It was very handy for Essex to win the toss and avoid having to go out to bat at 10:30 on a late September morning at Lord's. Back in the day, several 60 over one day county finals being played there around the same time were ruined by the team batting first losing several early wickets in the first hour.

I'm not sure I would go so far as Duty in giving advantage to Somerset after day one but they've done ok without question. Take it above 200 and they should be in with a shout. I fancy Davey and Gregory with a bit of movement and wobble to trouble the Essex batsmen.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 24 Sep 2020, 12:08 pm

206/5 now - Eddie Byrom 88* and Overton 33*.

Passed the minimum score they would have really wanted, and hopefully they can target that 300 Duty mentioned.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 24 Sep 2020, 12:48 pm

Superb partnership from these two. Not just plenty of runs, but plenty of runs at a brisk pace. With the exception of Porter and Cook, Essex's bowling has been very sub-standard.

Get to 300+ will be Somerset's next goal. 350 might even be possible with batting still to come.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Thu 24 Sep 2020, 1:15 pm

Missed all the morning, so pleased to see the score at lunch.

Are the conditions more batsman friendly or is it Somerset taking a hold of the game? With the weather forecast, and the trophy going to the team ahead after the first innings in the event of the draw, this first innings is all the more important.
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 24 Sep 2020, 2:03 pm

I'd still say the conditions favoured the bowlers. Couple of close LBW shouts this morning, and a few edges that didn't find the fielders, so not entirely plain sailing for Somerset. But once they got through the initial Porter/Cook burst, things got a lot easier.

Pelting down again now. But time enough for Byrom to complete an excellent ton. clap

Still think we'll get a winner in normal time, as it were. Conditions look clear for Saturday/Sunday, and mostly fine for Friday, so even if the rest of today gets washed out there should be at least another 270 overs in the game which will be more than enough.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu 24 Sep 2020, 4:36 pm

Not sure who said it was forecast good weather for this but shaping up for a good contest if its stays dry now.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 24 Sep 2020, 4:46 pm

A lot will depend on the Essex top three which on paper should outperform their Somerset counterparts, in particular they need to ensure that Dan Lawrence isn't coming to the crease with the ball still newish.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 24 Sep 2020, 6:54 pm

Second new ball took out the remainder of the Somerset wickets - but 301 all out is a formidable score. In the five previous FC games this season, no team made more than 200 against Somerset's bowling attack; and Essex, despite finishing unbeaten in their group, had the second-lowest number of batting points in their five FC games.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 24 Sep 2020, 7:27 pm

Eddie Byron becomes Somerset's sixth different centurion of the BWT campaign - after Steve Davies, Tom Abell, Lammonby, Bartlett and Jamie Overton. Despite not being household names, someone has always stood up for the team with the bat. That and the stable of seamers has been the hallmark of their campaign.

Despite not having seen a lot of the pitch and how it is playing, I tend to agree with with the general opinion that Somerset are on top. However, if Essex can get within 100 then a collapse is always on with Harmer in the side...

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 25 Sep 2020, 10:15 am

Duty281 wrote:Second new ball took out the remainder of the Somerset wickets - but 301 all out is a formidable score. In the five previous FC games this season, no team made more than 200 against Somerset's bowling attack; and Essex, despite finishing unbeaten in their group, had the second-lowest number of batting points in their five FC games.

Two surprising stats there, maybe says something about the pitches the BWilis has been played on?

That said Somersets bowling attack is about as strong as you're ever going to see in English domestic cricket now, so Essex are up against it batting second. But Essex do have a fair bit of class in their batting, I'd certainly peg it as their stronger suit on reputation at least, which is why I find their lack of bating points this year rather surprising. Bit they just lose a lot of tosses? Obviously Harmer has played a big part in their victories, but Essex will have to bat last against Leach who up till his run of illnesses and injuries was the most consistent wicket taking spinner in county cricket for a few seasons.

Somerset have a bit of a reputation/ recent history of being a second place team (aside from being possibly the last ever 50 over cup winners), and whilst this trophy might be seen as a bit of a mickey mouse in some circles at least you have to actually beat the next best team to win it. One of the big problems with the CC has always been that being the team with the least number of games rained off can massively increase the number of points gained. Im also sure that had Somerset won last years it would've been frowned upon as a result of their dodgy home pitches. This one they will have to win in a fair even contest with the next best based on who won the toss Whistle

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Fri 25 Sep 2020, 2:25 pm

Cook is still a class act once he's set.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 25 Sep 2020, 3:35 pm

Genuinely great to see from Cook. He had the opportunity to take a big money media contract this summer but turned it down to keep playing. Its nice to see a guy of his standing who still actually enjoys playing cricket for the sport of it.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 25 Sep 2020, 3:37 pm

It appears Cook is taking his team to what will probably be a title winning first innings lead. Class indeed .

Somerset need a bag of wickets after tea or they are going to be bridesmaids again...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 25 Sep 2020, 3:59 pm

Cook's been amazing today, still showcasing his top-class ability despite his advancing years. Love watching him play the cut shot.

Westley gone second ball after tea. Desperately needed boost for Somerset. If they can chip at least a couple more out before the new ball, still 25 overs away, they're still in this game.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 25 Sep 2020, 4:31 pm

Double wicket over from Gregory has put Somerset back in it but Essex still look favourites get a first innings lead with Cook still going. That really leaves the game wide open and hopefully a fitting finale to the season.

Praying Leach gets a wicket at some point in the game.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 25 Sep 2020, 5:30 pm

Gooseberry wrote:Double wicket over from Gregory has put Somerset back in it but Essex still look favourites get a first innings lead with Cook still going. That really leaves the game wide open and hopefully a fitting finale to the season.

Praying Leach gets a wicket at some point in the game.

Especially with the so streetwise ten Doeschate joining him.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 25 Sep 2020, 5:42 pm

Hi all - if Essex are still batting when 120 overs have been bowled, does their innings automatically end? I appreciate that was the case in all the other Bob Willis matches but wonder if that still applies as the final has an extra day. Thanks.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 25 Sep 2020, 6:10 pm

Yes, Guildford, I heard Atherton confirm that on the Sky stream earlier - 120 overs = end of innings.

Looking like Essex won't make it to 120 overs though. Really fine finish from the Somerset bowlers. Might be Cook's day, but certainly Somerset's evening. Set up for a tremendous conclusion.

Duty281

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 25 Sep 2020, 6:22 pm

Duty281 wrote:Yes, Guildford, I heard Atherton confirm that on the Sky stream earlier - 120 overs = end of innings.

Looking like Essex won't make it to 120 overs though. Really fine finish from the Somerset bowlers. Might be Cook's day, but certainly Somerset's evening. Set up for a tremendous conclusion.

Thanks, Duty. Perfect summary too. Great for this final to have some twists and turns.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 25 Sep 2020, 8:03 pm

According to the BBC, during Cook's exceptional 172 he passed Ray Illingworth, Ricky Ponting and Steve Waugh in the all-time first-class run-scoring charts - Cook is now 141st on the all-time list of FC run scorers. He's also the leading run-scorer in this year's Bob Willis Trophy, and it's almost certain he'll remain there at the end.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 26 Sep 2020, 5:22 am

Great fightback late in the day from Somerset ; but unless they can sweep away the tail for under thirty tomorrow they're still going to need to somehow win outright in the next two days... Certainly possible - weather permitting , especially with Essex having to bat last. But I think they'll be disappointed to not have first innings advantage after posting 301 .
And will need both a positive batting effort and a well timed closure to give themselves a real chance.

Could indeed be a tense finish.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 26 Sep 2020, 10:28 am

Certainly going to be a tense morning with Essex needing a mere 31 runs to take the lead, but Somerset having a pretty new ball and just the Essex lower order in their way.

BBC forecasting some rain later in the day (the Met Office, however, are not) - if that comes to fruition the next 30 minutes-1hr could be absolutely crucial.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sat 26 Sep 2020, 11:24 am

Essex take a the lead, which is huge. Means Somerset can’t just try and bat out the last two days for the draw (not that I think they could!). Probably better for the game I guess... Just please not a weather affected draw like last year’s finale!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 26 Sep 2020, 11:42 am

Not much tension at all, really! Essex breezed to the lead in no time at all. From a neutral viewpoint, that's probably better for the final as a spectacle.

If Essex bat out their 120 overs, Somerset will have 74 overs to bat today, plus the 98 left tomorrow (minus two for the change of innings). Presume Somerset might try to bat 85 overs @ at a RR of around 3, then give themselves 85 overs to bowl Essex out? Will be a tough assignment, but we are seeing some variable bounce on this pitch, and Leach might get some turn on a wearing track.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 26 Sep 2020, 12:07 pm

Didn't really expect the tension today , to be honest...rather expected an Essex lead.
But if Somerset can set some kind of a last day target , we might see a good finish on Sunday...

Rather be on Essex right now though.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 26 Sep 2020, 12:09 pm

337/8 in the end, so a lead of 36. Somerset will be hopeful of having a 180+ lead by the end of the day to keep their title hopes alive.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 26 Sep 2020, 12:21 pm

alfie wrote:Didn't really expect the tension today , to be honest...rather expected an Essex lead.
But if Somerset can set some kind of a last day target , we might see a good finish on Sunday...

Rather be on Essex right now though.

For sure, Alfie.

Somerset need to not only score runs but also take 10 wickets. As long as the rain holds off, they've just about got enough time but it'll still be mighty difficult. Harmer is a tremendous asset for Essex. He did little in Somerset's first dig but will still start today on a hat trick. Not often he goes through a county match without making a significant impact.

I only followed the end of Essex's innings on cricinfo. Even though Essex did well to get the lead and bat the 120 overs, I was surprised there didn't seem to be much attempt at any impetus from Wheater in the final 2 or 3 overs. Is that fair comment?

Also, I see Brooks only bowled 9 overs. Did he go down with an injury? Cheers.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 26 Sep 2020, 12:44 pm

Brooks apparently suffered a broken thumb yesterday. Not good luck for him - or Somerset.

Will indeed be tough for them after conceding first innings . Though just maybe Jack Leach might have a fairy tale finish to a frustrating season up his sleeve ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 26 Sep 2020, 1:01 pm

alfie wrote:Brooks apparently suffered a broken thumb yesterday. Not good luck for him - or Somerset.

Will indeed be tough for them after conceding first innings . Though just maybe Jack Leach might have a fairy tale finish to a frustrating season up his sleeve ?

Thanks, Alfie. Not convinced it'll come in the next two days but Leach deserves a reversal of fortune. In recent times he's resembled a man with a knife and fork when it's raining soup!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 26 Sep 2020, 1:59 pm

Somerset edge ahead. 40/0 off 16.

Harmer has bowled 3 maidens. Suspect he'll bowl and bowl.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 26 Sep 2020, 2:25 pm

Only following this on text : but seems Somerset bats are getting on top ? Even taking to Harmer a bit now...

Pitch flat now though it seems : unless it changes overnight might be hard to bowl Essex out even if they can set a stiff target.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next