The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland vs Wales - Six Nations Round 2

+34
Yoda
Pot Hale
Cyril
king_carlos
Geordie
WELL-PAST-IT
Duty281
Dirtydave
Heaf
BigGee
tigertattie
No 7&1/2
Intotouch
TightHEAD
The Great Aukster
RiscaGame
chris_501
Pie
Brendan
lostinwales
SecretFly
thebandwagonsociety
carpet baboon
wayne
Gooseberry
Luckless Pedestrian
Collapse2005
LondonTiger
rodders
Pete330v2
Noble-Surfer
mikey_dragon
majesticimperialman
maestegmafia
38 posters

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Ireland vs Wales - Six Nations Round 2 - Page 3 Empty Ireland vs Wales - Six Nations Round 2

Post by maestegmafia Sun 2 Feb - 13:50

First topic message reminder :

Date: Saturday, February 8
Venue: Aviva Stadium, Dublin
Kick-off: 14:15 GMT
Referee: Romain Poite (France)
Assistant Referees: Luke Pearce (England), Mike Fraser (New Zealand)
TMO: Glenn Newman (New Zealand)

WALES TEAM TO PLAY IRELAND (Saturday February 8 KO 14.15 ITV & S4C)

15. Leigh Halfpenny (86 Caps)
14. George North (92 Caps)
13. Nick Tompkins (1 Cap)
12. Hadleigh Parkes (26 Caps)
11. Josh Adams (22 Caps)
10. Dan Biggar (80 Caps)
9. Tomos Williams (17 Caps)
1. Wyn Jones (23 Caps)
2. Ken Owens (74 Caps)
3. Dillon Lewis (23 Caps)
4. Jake Ball (43 Caps)
5. Alun Wyn Jones (C) (135 Caps)
6. Aaron Wainwright (19 Caps)
7. Justin Tipuric (73 Caps)
8. Taulupe Faletau (73 Caps)

Replacements:
16. Ryan Elias (10 Caps)
17. Rhys Carre (6 Caps)
18. Leon Brown (7 Caps)
19. Adam Beard (20 Caps)
20. Ross Moriarty (42 Caps)
21. Gareth Davies (51 Caps)
22. Owen Williams (3 Caps)
23. Johnny McNicholl (1 Cap)​

Ireland (v Wales):
15. Jordan Larmour
14 Andrew Conway
13 Robbie Henshaw
12 Bundee Aki
11 Jacob Stockdale
10 Johnny Sexton (capt)
9 Conor Murray
1 Cian Healy
2 Rob Herring
3 Tadhg Furlong
4 Iain Henderson
5 James Ryan
6 Peter O’Mahony
7 Josh van der Flier
8 CJ Stander

Replacements:
16 Ronan Kelleher
17 Dave Kilcoyne
18 Andrew Porter
19 Devin Toner
20 Max Deegan
21 John Cooney
22 Ross Byrne
23 Keith Earls

Last edited by maestegmafia on Thu 6 Feb - 12:33; edited 5 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs Wales - Six Nations Round 2 - Page 3 Empty Re: Ireland vs Wales - Six Nations Round 2

Post by RiscaGame Thu 6 Feb - 16:14

I think I read earlier, that John was unable to take a full part in training this week too.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs Wales - Six Nations Round 2 - Page 3 Empty Re: Ireland vs Wales - Six Nations Round 2

Post by maestegmafia Thu 6 Feb - 18:03

Thought Leon looked abrasive and full of go forward when he came on

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 7 Feb - 8:19

RiscaGame wrote:I think I read earlier, that John was unable to take a full part in training this week too.

Yes Pivac said “It was a knock to a shoulder in a club game for WillGriff John. He’s (Sampson Lee), been covering that.”

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 7 Feb - 11:19

Press and the pundits all looking at a narrow Irish win ..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_501 Fri 7 Feb - 11:38

maestegmafia wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:I think I read earlier, that John was unable to take a full part in training this week too.

Yes Pivac said “It was a knock to a shoulder in a club game for WillGriff John. He’s (Sampson Lee), been covering that.”

How has Samson Lee been performing in the scrum for Scarlets? I still think there is a place in the squad for a pure scrummaging tight head. The conditions expected tomorrow worry me, it makes it more likely to go from scrum to scrum and neither Lewis or Brown appear the strongest in that area.

chris_501

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Fri 7 Feb - 11:49

maestegmafia wrote:Press and the pundits all looking at a narrow Irish win ..

I think Wales are the better side right now but home advantage may tip it in Irelands favour.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 7 Feb - 11:54

I've seen too many hidings in Dublin to be that confident of a result. I think it'll be tight.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 7 Feb - 11:55

Collapse2005 wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Press and the pundits all looking at a narrow Irish win ..

I think Wales are the better side right now but home advantage may tip it in Irelands favour.

That’s the general consensus in the articles I’ve read, bar a few pieces in the welsh press where they think a narrow win for wales.

I think wales attack looks good enough to trouble Ireland and pose a few questions. If Farrell had selected Cooney and mcClosky I would be more concerned about the irish threat.

Though saying that Italy didn’t really test wales defence last Saturday. If Ireland can forget the last 12 months form and play as we know they can then they may find a few holes in Wales defence that we didn’t know existed yet.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Fri 7 Feb - 12:00

I cant remember Italy ever being nilled in the six nations. Was quite surprised.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 7 Feb - 13:45

Forecast looks terrible for Dublin. 47mph winds around the time of kick off!

#shouldagotaroof!

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 7 Feb - 16:18

Hell of a stat this:

England are the only visiting side to win in Dublin in the last seven Six Nations tournaments, doing so in 2013 as well as last year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51388167

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri 7 Feb - 16:22

Good luck to Ball, Moriarty, Tompkins and North this weekend.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Fri 7 Feb - 16:31

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Hell of a stat this:

England are the only visiting side to win in Dublin in the last seven Six Nations tournaments, doing so in 2013 as well as last year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51388167

Yeah well Schmidt had a cracking home record, not that many losses at home so for England to win there twice was very good especially as they only have 3 wins in Dublin in the six nations in total.

The game in 2013 was the most horrible game in the history of the six nations 12-6 win for England, all kicks, horrible weather and rugby.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 7 Feb - 16:37

And the last time we won in Dublin:

https://youtu.be/VZKtrdD69go

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 7 Feb - 17:03

Collapse2005 wrote:
The game in 2013 was the most horrible game in the history of the six nations 12-6 win for England, all kicks, horrible weather and rugby.

Probably similar tomorrow too.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 7 Feb - 17:06

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I've seen too many hidings in Dublin to be that confident of a result. I think it'll be tight.

Yeah, I’ve been confident once or twice and then we’ve just been bullied out of it. I don’t think the weather helps us, as we will need to get on top straight away, much like we did in Cardiff last year. Big ask away from home to do that.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 7 Feb - 17:18

Yeah I was hoping for a fluid game full of excitement and dashing skill but I’m now thinking this is going to be a scrumfest

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 7 Feb - 17:30

With luck the rain will hold off, but it'll definitely be windy.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 7 Feb - 17:33

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:With luck the rain will hold off, but it'll definitely be windy.

Can do running rugby in the wind.

From what I remember the breeze swirls around the Aviva Stadium

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 7 Feb - 17:43

maestegmafia wrote:Yeah I was hoping for a fluid game full of excitement and dashing skill but I’m now thinking this is going to be a scrumfest

Well that won't be good with Dillon Lewis in there.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 7 Feb - 18:01

I get a feeling Dillon Lewis is going to be Aled Davies Mk II for you Mikey! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 7 Feb - 19:10

I wouldn’t go that far Smile. Dillon is a good player, he just goes backwards at every scrum.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 7 Feb - 19:22

Yes, a bit harsh on Dillon to be fair Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 7 Feb - 21:18

If the weather in Cork is anything to go by the winner will be whoever adapts to the conditions. Wales took 40 minutes to get used to the rain in Paris last year. If they take that long again they will probably lose.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 7 Feb - 21:20

TightHEAD wrote:Good luck to Ball, Moriarty, Tompkins and North this weekend.

Sounds like a detecive series LOL.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 7 Feb - 21:25

guestalt_physicality wrote:If the weather in Cork is anything to go by the winner will be whoever adapts to the conditions. Wales took 40 minutes to get used to the rain in Paris last year. If they take that long again they will probably lose.

They took 2 minutes to take the lead in the rain in Cardiff against Ireland last year is probably the more appropriate memory to relate to involving wales, rugby and rain.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Sat 8 Feb - 7:00; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Fri 7 Feb - 22:46

The weird thing for me about this game is that I wouldn't be surprised if either team won, and I very rarely think that. Especially about matches in Dublin. It's a real pity that the weather is going to be so awful as it could otherwise have been tremendous.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 8 Feb - 7:02

Intotouch wrote:The weird thing for me about this game is that I wouldn't be surprised if either team won, and I very rarely think that. Especially about matches in Dublin. It's a real pity that the weather is going to be so awful as it could otherwise have been tremendous.

You’re right about the weather, that’s why the extra money spent on having a roof in Cardiff was worth it.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 8 Feb - 7:14

I think most would have the game exposed to/spoiled by the elements to be honest Maes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 8 Feb - 10:29

maestegmafia wrote:
guestalt_physicality wrote:If the weather in Cork is anything to go by the winner will be whoever adapts to the conditions. Wales took 40 minutes to get used to the rain in Paris last year. If they take that long again they will probably lose.

They took 2 minutes to take the lead in the rain in Cardiff against Ireland last year is probably the more appropriate memory to relate to involving wales, rugby and rain.

No not really because that was in Cardiff in very different circumstances just before a world cup when wales were going for the slam. It does feel like you keep trolling me. I see you're no longer a moderator as well which is maybe for the best if that's how you're going to be. Ireland are at home and have a very good home record and also aren't on their last legs like they were under Schmidt. My point stands. Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 8 Feb - 10:35

Right then. Big questions for Wales are scrums and lineouts and defence this week. Those were weak against Italy. Breakdown needs extra work as well as Ireland will suffocate like they always have. Pressure is on for a few: Dillon Lewis, Justin Tipuric, Ken Owens. They have to do their jobs. Then there's the likes of Tompkins, maybe Biggar and North as well.

If Wales can move the ball wide without getting isolated that might be enough to win the game even with a poor set piece. Ireland still look limited as a rugby team and Sexton is past his best which means he isn't consistently effective, not that he can't perform to world class levels. We have to hope he doesn't have a big game today. Cooney is Ireland's biggest threat and he's on the bench which is good for us until he coms on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 8 Feb - 12:06

guestalt_physicality wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

No not really because that was in Cardiff in very different circumstances just before a world cup when wales were going for the slam. It does feel like you keep trolling me. I see you're no longer a moderator as well which is maybe for the best if that's how you're going to be. Ireland are at home and have a very good home record and also aren't on their last legs like they were under Schmidt. My point stands. Thanks.

How on earth is that trolling, picard

Last edited by LondonTiger on Sat 8 Feb - 12:45; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Insult removed)

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 8 Feb - 12:06

Against Scotland, Ireland looked quite fragile in an eggshell kinda way.  Had we cracked, I think that fragility would have told quite dramatically again in terms of the Scotland scoreboard.  
But the Irish team held it together, which did seem to really boost their confidence levels post game.  Wales are a much smarter side than Scotland, lots of more subtle strengths to play on but in terms of relentlessness, I think Scotland create more potential continuous panic in defences.  
Wales give more breathing spaces usually.

So as I look back, maybe the Irish players had reason to be lifted more than their followers seem to have been.  Scotland threw the kitchen sink at them when their confidence levels are probably at the lowest post-WC and yet they held in there and won - basically using the now largely obsolete Joe blueprint.

Scotland try to cover their defensive weakness by attacking relentlessly, even when little is on.  It maintains possession and ensures in those periods they themselves are not being attacked. So it was difficult for Ireland to be in possession and in the right areas at the same time. Hats off to Scotland for pinning Ireland down.
Wales are a more solid all round side but in being so they might very well give Ireland more chances now to expand on the little hints of inventiveness in attack they showed last week.
Knife edge wins Ireland can do but they know they now need to be more fluid in attack against the Grand Slam holders.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 8 Feb - 12:14

The Oracle wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

How on earth is that trolling, you utter, utter man-child. picard

Oh goodie! Karaoke!

Sing after me!

music  music
Turn around and ask yourself,
Turn around ask yourself,
Manchild, will you ever win,
Manchild, look at the state you're in....  music  music

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sat 8 Feb - 12:17

SecretFly wrote:
The Oracle wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

How on earth is that trolling, you utter, utter man-child. picard

Oh goodie! Karaoke!

Sing after me!

music  music
Turn around and ask yourself,
Turn around ask yourself,
Manchild, will you ever win,
Manchild, look at the state you're in....  music  music

People talk up the "hatred" between England and Scotland and the "niggle" between the opposing teams and fans. But we all know the real grudge march this weekend in Wales vs Wales Rolling Eyes

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 8 Feb - 12:48

maestegmafia wrote:

I removed the personal insult from Oracle's response. However apart from that it was a valid response to an uncalled for attack on another poster.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 8 Feb - 12:50

I understand that but every response to me from maesteg (not a conversation he's chosen to quote me) has been very contrarian on even the most minor of points like 'who adapts to the weather should win' which makes me ask the question. That's all.

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 8 Feb - 14:05

Hmm. Based my prediction on rain. Looks like spring.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 8 Feb - 14:10

POM doing the introductions for the President? Ain't that Johnny's job? The shirker!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 8 Feb - 14:11

SecretFly wrote:POM doing the introductions for the President?  Ain't that Johnny's job?  The shirker!

His hand was too sore. Already getting the ground work in for complaining to the ref
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 8 Feb - 14:13

Before a ball is kicked I’m going for a narrow win to Ireland due to home advantage
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 8 Feb - 14:17

Early test for Welsh scrum

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 8 Feb - 14:17

Which they pass with aplomb!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 8 Feb - 14:25

Jacob needs to be more than a kick first guy. More unpredictability needed.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 8 Feb - 14:31

Ireland really going after North defensively. Seems like a good tactic so far

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 8 Feb - 14:31

No idea why Stockdale didn’t pass there
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 8 Feb - 14:32

Not sure why Wales defend so narrowly, especially towards North’s wing.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 8 Feb - 14:36

Wales will need to address that surely as eventually Ireland will take advantage of it ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 8 Feb - 14:36

Lamour is a slippery little eel and wriggles through to score

Wales won't be happy with that defence, went through about 6 red shirts

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 8 Feb - 14:36

Tompkins not having a good time in defence.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next