The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Political round up.............

+29
Derbymanc
king_carlos
Galted
guildfordbat
Crimey
Luke
No name Bertie
alfie
JuliusHMarx
Samo
MrInvisible
Pal Joey
BamBam
superflyweight
JDizzle
CaledonianCraig
lfc91
GSC
TRUSSMAN66
SecretFly
lostinwales
navyblueshorts
Pr4wn
Afro
Luckless Pedestrian
Soul Requiem
Muscular-mouse
Dolphin Ziggler
Duty281
33 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Political round up............. - Page 3 Empty Political round up.............

Post by Duty281 Fri 20 Dec 2019, 10:33 am

First topic message reminder :

Pr4wn wrote:Why are 16 and 17 year olds old enough to pay tax but not old enough to vote?

Good point, take them out of having to pay tax.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Political round up............. - Page 3 Empty Re: Political round up.............

Post by Duty281 Wed 29 Jan 2020, 9:33 am

Nearly out then? Excellent.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Political round up............. - Page 3 Empty Re: Political round up.............

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 29 Jan 2020, 11:06 am

Regarding UK and Huawei...Though the US primary concern is to protect Apple interests...Not sure it's a great time to be peeing off your number 1 friend just before you are negotiating a trade deal.

As for the concerns over Huawei and British intelligence...I doubt they will find much of that..

Boom Boom..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 29 Jan 2020, 12:10 pm

Apparently Ian Lavery has produced a post-mortem on the election results that claim that Labour's performance was nothing to do with how glorious leader was perceived.

Yeah. Right.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 29 Jan 2020, 12:30 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Regarding UK and Huawei...Though the US primary concern is to protect Apple interests...Not sure it's a great time to be peeing off your number 1 friend just before you are negotiating a trade deal.

As for the concerns over Huawei and British intelligence...I doubt they will find much of that..

Boom Boom..
#1 friend? Hmm. Current Administration have a funny way of showing it. They're p!ssing off all and sundry and think everyone should roll over for US Foreign Policy else trade sanctions result. Well, they can **** off.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 29 Jan 2020, 12:34 pm

I imagine working class types buying into the theory rampant on Social media and in printing media that all their troubles are/were to do with immigrants had something to do with it.

Labour held their own in REMAIN seats..

Corbyn got more votes than Brown...Miliband and Blair in 2005.

But he was a problem...For sure.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 29 Jan 2020, 1:10 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I imagine working class types buying into the theory rampant on Social media and in printing media that all their troubles are/were to do with immigrants had something to do with it.

So the middle classes don't buy into different theories rampant on Social media then?

Not how it works and you're well aware of that, prior to 2015 it was a three way battle for many seats whereas now it's just two way. Johnson obviously isn't a problem as he got more votes than any Tory leader in history aside from ironically John Major.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 29 Jan 2020, 1:12 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I imagine working class types buying into the theory rampant on Social media and in printing media that all their troubles are/were to do with immigrants had something to do with it.

Well Labour lost the popular vote in 2005, just got a massive majority anyway. Of interest with the 'more votes' line is that as of the end of 2018 there were 1.3m more voters than there were in 2005. (Total electorate 45,775,800 vs 44,403,415)

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 29 Jan 2020, 5:16 pm

The pathetic Brexit Party tw4ts showing themselves up again in the European Parliament. The only tangible benefit of Brexit is not seeing these stupid ar5eholes embarrass our country on the European stage ever again

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 29 Jan 2020, 9:17 pm

BamBam wrote:The pathetic Brexit Party tw4ts showing themselves up again in the European Parliament. The only tangible benefit of Brexit is not seeing these stupid ar5eholes embarrass our country on the European stage ever again
OK
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 31 Jan 2020, 8:18 am

This news kept away from main news media outlets. I wonder why?

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/5229475/scotland-independence-yes-survey-indyref/
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Fri 31 Jan 2020, 8:25 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:This news kept away from main news media outlets. I wonder why?

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/5229475/scotland-independence-yes-survey-indyref/

Wow one survery, is there any of that barrel left to scrape?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 31 Jan 2020, 9:02 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:This news kept away from main news media outlets. I wonder why?

You know my thoughts - Scotland can just bugger off. Even so, wow! Shock! 51% in a survey Laugh. If/when you ever get your IndyRef2, I hope they set the bar at a 2/3 majority requirement - you've seen the issues in the Brexit referendum. Even so, I hope you get your 2/3 and then just go away. Nothing personal, Craig.

Kept away from the news? It's not even 'news'. Simples - bit like Sturgeon.

Move along; nothing to see here... Tumbleweed
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 31 Jan 2020, 10:41 am

51%? That’s pretty worrying for the ‘independence’ movement. With all the Brexit stuff in the news and how today the U.K. is leaving the EU (sort of, but not quite actually leaving), you would expect the ‘independence’ side for Scotland to reach an unnatural high in the polls, before everything settles down again.

If 51% is that unnatural high, that shows the ‘independence’ side is struggling.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 31 Jan 2020, 10:58 am

Duty281 wrote:51%? That’s pretty worrying for the ‘independence’ movement. With all the Brexit stuff in the news and how today the U.K. is leaving the EU (sort of, but not quite actually leaving), you would expect the ‘independence’ side for Scotland to reach an unnatural high in the polls, before everything settles down again.

If 51% is that unnatural high, that shows the ‘independence’ side is struggling.

Maybe you don't follow politics all that much then?

Today is when Brexit becomes reality at 11 pm. But nothing will change in the interim as all trade deals with the EU and Laws remain until the end of the year when or if trade deals are signed and hereafter is when prices rise and Brexit bites. And when holidaymakers realise travelling to Europe becomes far more complicated needed Visas et al. That is when Brexit begins to hit home.

And on top of that of course we shall see Brexit talks on deals continuing without any input whatsoever from a Scottish perspective - a sure-fire pleasing aspect for Scots I think....NOT.

Also this poll was carried out by YouGov. Pre-election their last poll on Independence has shown a 5% swing to Yes in the space of six weeks or so and a 10% lead for No has disappeared and is now a 1% lead for Yes.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 31 Jan 2020, 11:03 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Duty281 wrote:51%? That’s pretty worrying for the ‘independence’ movement. With all the Brexit stuff in the news and how today the U.K. is leaving the EU (sort of, but not quite actually leaving), you would expect the ‘independence’ side for Scotland to reach an unnatural high in the polls, before everything settles down again.

Today is when Brexit becomes reality at 11 pm. But nothing will change in the interim as all trade deals with the EU and Laws remain until the end of the year when or if trade deals are signed and hereafter is when prices rise and Brexit bites. And when holidaymakers realise travelling to Europe becomes far more complicated needed Visas et al. That is when Brexit begins to hit home.

And on top of that of course we shall see Brexit talks on deals continuing without any input whatsoever from a Scottish perspective - a sure-fire pleasing aspect for Scots I think....NOT.

Yes, I do follow politics. And because of that, I know that the UK’s exit is not finalised until the 31st December 2020 - until then, the U.K. is still adherent to the ECJ/paying contributions/in the single market/in the customs union/and negotiating terms. Today is just moving day.

Oh and for your information, the rules on travel to the EU are still staying exactly the same until the 31st December (or when the transition ends), they are not changing after today. Virtually everything stays the same after today!

Last edited by Duty281 on Fri 31 Jan 2020, 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 31 Jan 2020, 11:05 am

We had a referendum on EU membership, a majority voted to leave so it's only right that we do. I'm not angry about it, just sad.

Over to you now, Johnson, Gove, Raab et al. You told us this was a good idea. Let's see it.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Fri 31 Jan 2020, 11:09 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:

Also this poll was carried out by YouGov. Pre-election their last poll on Independence has shown a 5% swing to Yes in the space of six weeks or so and a 10% lead for No has disappeared and is now a 1% lead for Yes

That would be called an outlier Craig and one to ignore for the time being, until it's backed up by other polling companies it's pretty irrelevant and the sample size isn't really worth bothering with.[/quote]

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 31 Jan 2020, 11:10 am

Duty281 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

Yes, I do follow politics. And because of that, I know that the UK’s exit is not finalised until the 31st December 2020 - until then, the U.K. is still adherent to the ECJ/paying contributions/in the single market/in the customs union/and negotiating terms. Today is just moving day.

And that is my point on the Brexit front. People are wise enough to know nothing changes just now and effects won't be felt until the EU deals end.

The bit people don't grasp is transport of fresh meat/fruit etc. Coming from EU countries it arrives fresh given the short distance it has to travel. Presuming the UK does manage to sign a trade deal here and there outwith the EU then you are looking to other continents it will be transported from at higher cost and takes longer to get here when products will be in less prime condition.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 31 Jan 2020, 11:12 am

Soul Requiem wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

Also this poll was carried out by YouGov. Pre-election their last poll on Independence has shown a 5% swing to Yes in the space of six weeks or so and a 10% lead for No has disappeared and is now a 1% lead for Yes

That would be called an outlier Craig and one to ignore for the time being, until it's backed up by other polling companies it's pretty irrelevant and the sample size isn't really worth bothering with.
[/quote]

Well I'd say it is far more relevant being that it is the most recent and the first since the General Election where SNP won in Scotland with a mandate for IndyRef whilst Scottish Tories lost heavily on a mandate of vote Tory to stop IndyRef.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Fri 31 Jan 2020, 11:13 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

And that is my point on the Brexit front. People are wise enough to know nothing changes just now and effects won't be felt until the EU deals end.

The bit people don't grasp is transport of fresh meat/fruit etc. Coming from EU countries it arrives fresh given the short distance it has to travel. Presuming the UK does manage to sign a trade deal here and there outwith the EU then you are looking to other continents it will be transported from at higher cost and takes longer to get here when products will be in less prime condition.

Most citrus fruits sold in Tescos for example are imported from South America already.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 31 Jan 2020, 11:26 am

Soul Requiem wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

Most citrus fruits sold in Tescos for example are imported from South America already.

Oh well then everything will be ok then? Phew!

Seriously though, the EU is our largest fresh food trading partner.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 31 Jan 2020, 12:55 pm

Pr4wn wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

In the summer.  Most fruit (non-citrus) comes from North Africa at this time of year.  Saying that, I've spent the past few months helping a major UK supermarket with their Brexit planning and unless an appropriate deal is struck and infrastructure and administrative solutions are found, there will be shortages of certain types of food and a rise in the prices of other foods.  

I'd be interested to know what suggestions Craig has to deal with the likely need for a hard border between a Scotland in the EU and a post-Brexit England following Scottish independence.  I'm not against an independent Scotland in the EU per se, but it's still really depressing to see that flag-waving seems to be the main focus of the independemce movement.  Why is no one presenting a proper case for it?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 31 Jan 2020, 2:09 pm

superflyweight wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

In the summer.  Most fruit (non-citrus) comes from North Africa at this time of year.  Saying that, I've spent the past few months helping a major UK supermarket with their Brexit planning and unless an appropriate deal is struck and infrastructure and administrative solutions are found, there will be shortages of certain types of food and a rise in the prices of other foods.  

I'd be interested to know what suggestions Craig has to deal with the likely need for a hard border between a Scotland in the EU and a post-Brexit England following Scottish independence.  I'm not against an independent Scotland in the EU per se, but it's still really depressing to see that flag-waving seems to be the main focus of the independemce movement.  Why is no one presenting a proper case for it?

I have no doubt finer details will come out about borders etc once we get round to IndyRef2.

My guess on how it will go is that in the interim of a Yes vote the border regs would remain the same until, if or when, Scotland were to join the EU. It would then fall upon the governments at Westminster and Holyrood to thrash out border proposals. The likelihood would be a hard border but everyone thought that with Northern Ireland and an alternative of sorts has been found.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 31 Jan 2020, 2:39 pm

Have a feeling watching Claudius and his posse screw up the Brexit transition may embolden some of the more cautious Scots to support Independence...

No reason why the EU wouldn't accept their application...

Can they sustain ???...Doubt it...But they may think the British recession just around the corner means they have nothing to lose...and fried Mars bars may catch on...

More of a Snickers Man myself...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 31 Jan 2020, 2:42 pm

Double Deckers for me. Smile

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 31 Jan 2020, 3:06 pm

Well one thing seems for certain. This government is not interested in anyone else's opinion about trade negotiations or what we should do next. No interest in what might actually help industry, for instance

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 10 Feb 2020, 8:19 am

I believe that Starmer will win the Labour leadership but I have a feeling it will be closer than expected..

Much is made of the gap in Clp nominations..

Starmer 260
Bailey....120
Nandy....50
Thorn.....18 (Won't make it)

But many of the Clps are reporting Bailey ahead on the first round and losing transfers...

Can't see Bailey getting close to the 50% she'd need on the first ballot of members but I expect the race is closer than is being reported.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 12 Feb 2020, 8:45 am

I see the deportation flight where People from home get sent back to a place which isn't home has gone ahead...Still this Govt can do what it wants..

"Boris is getting Brexit done and he can get rid of immigrants so we can get higher on the Council property list"

"Just wait we will show Fritz too just like in those old John Mills films !!!!"

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 12 Feb 2020, 11:58 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I see the deportation flight where People from home get sent back to a place which isn't home has gone ahead...Still this Govt can do what it wants..

"Boris is getting Brexit done and he can get rid of immigrants so we can get higher on the Council property list"

"Just wait we will show Fritz too just like in those old John Mills films !!!!"

That be the scheisse/lack of Opposition....
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 12 Feb 2020, 12:07 pm

Yep if the Govt treats British nationals appallingly it is Corbyn's fault....Great argument.

I voted Labour....My conscience is clear.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 12 Feb 2020, 2:08 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Yep if the Govt treats British nationals appallingly it is Corbyn's fault....Great argument.

I voted Labour....My conscience is clear.
Jesus wept! That's not what I said, but you have to admit a ****ing pathetic, weak opposition is a problem when trying to hold Johnson et al to account.

As to your vote - clear conscience? Implying that a vote for anyone else is somehow a morally dubious decision? Honestly; and you wonder why we have Brexit, Trump etc...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 12 Feb 2020, 2:11 pm

Wild idea but maybe it's the fault of the criminal themselves.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 12 Feb 2020, 3:04 pm

I look forward to nonce Rolf Harris being deported shortly afterwards. Oh and Johnson / Gove have admitted using class A drugs so that's also worthy of deportation, anywhere will do

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 12 Feb 2020, 3:42 pm

Rolf Harris....Gove and Johnson are white....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 12 Feb 2020, 4:02 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Rolf Harris....Gove and Johnson are white....

Something about the current government having more BAME representation than any other. Full of racists and those they dislike.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 12 Feb 2020, 4:09 pm

Reminds me of the old defence... "I can't be racist because one of my friends is black"

Bless..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 12 Feb 2020, 4:15 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:

Something about the current government having more BAME representation than any other. Full of racists and those they dislike.

As someone of a similar background to Priti Patel, I can confirm that regardless of her ethnicity she's a c**t.

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 12 Feb 2020, 4:16 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:Wild idea but maybe it's the fault of the criminal themselves.

Yes but...

In a sense you are punishing these people twice for the same offense. Some will be bad guys, sure. Some will have done something dumb and learnt from it. In some cases you are screwing over whole families by sending the breadwinner away. And that is ignoring the fact that many of these people have never known another country.

The whole process comes across as not discriminating enough as far as the individual cases go, and far too discriminating if you consider the background and race of the people concerned. The whole process just seems to feed off the paranoia of the average Daily Heil reader.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 12 Feb 2020, 4:20 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Reminds me of the old defence... "I can't be racist because one of my friends is black"

Bless..

Exactly the same isn't it Truss, so let me get this straight the current government has an issue with some people but not all, well it all adds up to me.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 12 Feb 2020, 5:52 pm

Food for thought why a PM with a reputation as a mysogynistic racist would want a fair share of Women and BAME Mps in his Govt before an Election....

Reshuffle coming soon isn't there...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 13 Feb 2020, 1:12 am

I thought Corbyn came across pretty well in PMQs yesterday for a change. Credit where credit's due.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 13 Feb 2020, 8:38 am

Rolling Eyes Your implication is ridiculous.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 13 Feb 2020, 8:39 am

Pr4wn wrote:I thought Corbyn came across pretty well in PMQs yesterday for a change. Credit where credit's due.
🤷 Pressure's off?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 13 Feb 2020, 10:48 am

It's a bit late now!

Speaking of PMQs, I wasn't aware of this until recently, but apparently the Prime Minister has been doing a 'People's PMQs' question-and-answer thing on Twitter. This despite the Tories claiming Westminster is now the 'People's Parliament'....  Headscratch

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 13 Feb 2020, 11:31 am

BamBam wrote:I look forward to nonce Rolf Harris being deported shortly afterwards. Oh and Johnson / Gove have admitted using class A drugs so that's also worthy of deportation, anywhere will do

I once splashed Rolf Harris with a puddle of water as a kid outside a shopping centre. Must have sensed something wasn't quite right about the guy.
He gave me an evil stare from memory... followed by an awkward 'laugh'. Splashing puddles was the 'theme of the week' at the time. I'd had lots of practise in the playground and I was deadly accurate. Well I definitely got him below the knees. Maybe I'm to blame for his evil behaviour?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 13 Feb 2020, 11:56 am

Pal Joey wrote:
BamBam wrote:I look forward to nonce Rolf Harris being deported shortly afterwards. Oh and Johnson / Gove have admitted using class A drugs so that's also worthy of deportation, anywhere will do

I once splashed Rolf Harris with a puddle of water as a kid outside a shopping centre. Must have sensed something wasn't quite right about the guy.
He gave me an evil stare from memory... followed by an awkward 'laugh'. Splashing puddles was the 'theme of the week' at the time. I'd had lots of practise in the playground and I was deadly accurate. Well I definitely got him below the knees. Maybe I'm to blame for his evil behaviour?

In the absence of large bricks, a puddle will do

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 13 Feb 2020, 11:56 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Food for thought why a PM with a reputation as a mysogynistic racist would want a fair share of Women and BAME Mps in his Govt before an Election....

Token Muslim bloke is out

Token Indian bird proven herself to be enough of a c**t to stay

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 13 Feb 2020, 12:01 pm

BamBam wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Food for thought why a PM with a reputation as a mysogynistic racist would want a fair share of Women and BAME Mps in his Govt before an Election....

Token Muslim bloke is out

Token Indian bird proven herself to be enough of a c**t to stay

Resigning to spend more time with his fellow Sontarans?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 13 Feb 2020, 12:16 pm

Such is the standard of our current government that I'll bet we will be missing Javid after he's gone.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 13 Feb 2020, 12:20 pm

Looks like a rare example of a politician having some principles, if it is because his staff was about to get sacked

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next