The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rugby World Cup, and National Anthems.

+7
SecretFly
TJ
WELL-PAST-IT
LondonTiger
Pal Joey
profitius
majesticimperialman
11 posters

Go down

Rugby World Cup, and National Anthems. Empty Rugby World Cup, and National Anthems.

Post by majesticimperialman Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:27 pm

Why when it comes to the National anthem why is there no one leading the national anthem in the Rugby World Cup?

Some one from that country chosen the sing the anthem, and not just the players?

Discuss.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Rugby World Cup, and National Anthems. Empty Re: Rugby World Cup, and National Anthems.

Post by profitius Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:32 pm

Slightly off topic but I found this comical last week.

Farce as France play Andorra's anthem instead of Albania's - then apologise to Armenia

https://www.the42.ie/france-albania-national-anthems-mistake-4800367-Sep2019/
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Rugby World Cup, and National Anthems. Empty Re: Rugby World Cup, and National Anthems.

Post by Guest Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:35 pm

Presumably an official reconciliation visit from France to Antarctica is in the offing if that's the case...

As for OP, because it sounds a lot better just hearing the crowd like one big choir - as long as mic isn't too close to the players.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:03 am

Except Antarctica is not a country, is it?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:51 am

Nor is Andorra...

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:47 am

miaow wrote:Nor is Andorra...
Unless you have a definition of country that is different to the UN you may wish to revise that statement.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:16 pm

Andora is I believe a Principality. Can you be both, I assume so as Wales seems to be.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:30 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:Andora is I believe a Principality. Can you be both, I assume so as Wales seems to be.

Wales hasn’t been a principality since the 1500s!

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:22 pm

I hate having some warbler wrecking the anthems. Its horrid.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:30 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:Andora is I believe a Principality. Can you be both, I assume so as Wales seems to be.

Being a principality just means you are not a kingdom. There are several principalities that are also countries. Andorra is actually a double principality, but it is also a Sovereign State as recognised by the UN.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:26 pm

What they need to do is for the Prince to just crown himself King. And they'll all live happily ever after.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:41 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
miaow wrote:Nor is Andorra...
Unless you have a definition of country that is different to the UN you may wish to revise that statement.

Yeah...but...in reality...not really...

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:47 am

SecretFly wrote:What they need to do is for the Prince to just crown himself King.  And they'll all live happily ever after.

Wouldn't that me matricide as he would have to kill his mother. bit drastic!
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:44 pm

I’m glad that Ireland are only lowed the one anthem, but why are they allowed to carry on Ulster’s flag as well. Surely this is extremely divisive.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:12 pm

No9 wrote:I’m glad that Ireland are only lowed the one anthem, but why are they allowed to carry on Ulster’s flag as well. Surely this is extremely divisive.

Ireland usually only use Ireland's Call when outside Ireland, 2 anthems used when at home because they are actually in the Republic of Ireland.

The flags used are not divisive but inclusive. The Irish rugby team represents the whole Ireland of Ireland. The 2 flags used are to represent the Republic of Ireland and Ulster and therefore all sections of the community are covered.

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:24 pm

But what about the Island of Island?

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:33 pm

The Welsh National Anthem is GSTQ because their country is the United Kingdom. Ulster is one third in the ROI, so the flag doesn't represent ROI and NI but rather the four provinces.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:40 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:The Welsh National Anthem is GSTQ  because their country is the United Kingdom. Ulster  is one third in the ROI, so the flag doesn't represent ROI and NI but rather the four provinces.

No, it’s not the welsh national anthem (I.e. the nation of Wales). God save the queen is the UK anthem. It’s not even England’s anthem which is why people often ask why them sing it and why they don’t choose something like Jerusalem instead.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:45 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:The Welsh National Anthem is GSTQ  because their country is the United Kingdom. Ulster  is one third in the ROI, so the flag doesn't represent ROI and NI but rather the four provinces.

Last edited by miaow on Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:46 pm

Quite a stupid comment Miaow

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:03 pm

Youre right

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:49 pm

The Oracle wrote:

No, it’s not the welsh national anthem (I.e. the nation of Wales). God save the queen is the UK anthem. It’s not even England’s anthem which is why people often ask why them sing it and why they don’t choose something like Jerusalem instead.
It was interesting today that the formalities were announced as the 'national anthem' (of Japan) and the 'anthem' (of Ireland). Wonder how they will announce it tomorrow for Wales?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:04 pm

Quite a stupid comment Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:25 pm

miaow wrote:Quite a stupid comment Aukster

Do you mean by the PA?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:40 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:
The Oracle wrote:

It was interesting today that the formalities were announced as the 'national anthem' (of Japan) and the 'anthem' (of Ireland). Wonder how they will announce it tomorrow for Wales?

Yeah, cos the host country always gets everything spot on.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:24 am

The Oracle wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:
The Oracle wrote:

Yeah, cos the host country always gets everything spot on.

The Japanese are renowned as being sticklers for etiquette.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down