The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rugby World Magazine 100 best rugby players in the world right now...!

+5
Geordie
mikey_dragon
Taylorman
LondonTiger
maestegmafia
9 posters

Go down

Rugby World Magazine 100 best rugby players in the world right now...! Empty Rugby World Magazine 100 best rugby players in the world right now...!

Post by maestegmafia Mon 17 Jun 2019, 6:04 pm

100 best rugby players in the world right now – 2019 edtition

Who is the best player in the world? In the new issue of Rugby World magazine we countdown the 100 best players in the world right now.

It’s 18 months since England fly-half Owen Farrell topped the chart!

The list of the 100 players was put together by Rugby World’s expert panel, which included Olympic gold medal-winning sevens coach Ben Ryan, Wasps Ladies director of rugby Giselle Mather, broadcaster Ross Harries and Kiwi writer Liam Napier as well as the magazine’s editorial team.

We gave recent form precedence over past achievements and looked at players’ influence and importance in their teams – club and country – as well as skill-sets.

New Zealand have the highest representation of players on the list, with 21, followed by England (17), South Africa (12) and Wales (10). There are also nine Irish players and five Scots, with 15 countries represented in all.

The age of players spans from 21 to 37, while the most common positions are back three (19%) and back row (18%).

Rugby World's top 20

20: James Ryan (Ireland)

19: Jonathan Davies (Wales)

18: Jamie George (England)

17: Alex Goode (England)

16: Stuart Hogg (Scotland)

15: Ardie Savea (New Zealand)

14: Peceli Yato (Fiji)

13: Faf de Klerk (South Africa)

12: Billy Vunipola (England)

11: Pauline Bourdon (France women)

10: Tadhg Furlong (Ireland)

9: Viliame Mata (Fiji)

8: Finn Russell (Scotland)

7: Ben Smith (New Zealand)

6: Owen Farrell (England)

5: Liam Williams (Wales)

4: Brodie Retallick (New Zealand)

3: Mako Vunipola (England)

2: Beauden Barrett (New Zealand)

1: Alun Wyn Jones (Wales)

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Rugby World Magazine 100 best rugby players in the world right now...! Empty Re: Rugby World Magazine 100 best rugby players in the world right now...!

Post by LondonTiger Mon 17 Jun 2019, 8:42 pm

I saw this article at the end of last week, wrote up a big piece to accompany it, then thought about how much grief it could create and hit delete.

To be honest I always find these lists a touch fatuous, Rugby being a team sport and all. 3 FHs in the top 8 seems to show that imo. I am sure plenty would argue strongly with Farrell being so high. Barrett has been having  pretty average time, and (failed humour coming now) only BamBam's wife ranks AWJ as number 1.

So please all debate this in the positive manner we can manage when we try. 

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Rugby World Magazine 100 best rugby players in the world right now...! Empty Re: Rugby World Magazine 100 best rugby players in the world right now...!

Post by Taylorman Mon 17 Jun 2019, 9:09 pm

He’s having a better time than World POTY Sexton though. Oops, missed the red text.Whistle Sure is a team game and the World Cup is all that matters this year.
For me the Super sides are coming through nicely, gaps like 6 and 7 with Squire in punishing form, Cane and Savea both at the top of their games now. So for me, right at this moment, that list doesn’t go close to representing the top 20. Perhaps for two or three months ago it might.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 17 Jun 2019, 9:11 pm

On the choice of AWJ as number one, England Sevens Superstar Ben Ryan said, “He’s like superglue for any team he plays for, unbreakable in the toughest of moments and that simultaneously elevates those around him too.

“He leads from the front with the highest level of guile, intellect and bravery that is a rarity even among the greats.”

This year AWJ captained Wales larger squad to their longest ever winning streak and against the odds then captained a rather un-fancied the Wales to the grand slam in probably the most competitive Six Nations of the professional era.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 17 Jun 2019, 9:14 pm

Taylorman wrote:He’s having a better time than World POTY Sexton though. Oops, missed the red text.Whistle  Sure is a team game and the World Cup is all that matters this year.
For me the Super sides are coming through nicely, gaps like 6 and 7 with Squire in punishing form, Cane and Savea both at the top of their games now. So for me, right at this moment, that list doesn’t go close to representing the top 20. Perhaps for two or three months ago it might.

Hopefully this years Rugby Championship and RWC will uncover a good number of new rugby superstars to feature on this list. Part of the enjoyment of watching it is to see new players impress for all teams.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 17 Jun 2019, 10:43 pm

Yes I'm not sure of our lot who will be very new- Ennor, Havili could make a late rush...both very talented players. Reece if he's chosen to play for NZ. Ioane of Highlanders could push Mo'unga.

Our issue will be getting back the experienced guys...in form. Cane, Retallick, Whitlock, Moody, Franks, Ben Smith, SBW, Coles, Squire.

Coles, Retallick, Cane, SBW are all returning recently and starting to show very good form. If Canes still tender from his neck injury he aint showing it, flying into everyone and everything.

Chiefs and Highlanders wins on the weekend- versus sides that had to win to qualify were ridiculous..Rebels with Quade and Genia collapsing completely in Canberra 66-0.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 17 Jun 2019, 10:46 pm

We are all sitting blind on NH player form until the pre-RWC warm up matches in August.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 17 Jun 2019, 11:18 pm

Yep, hence my comment. We are now at critical SR knockout stage. 4 sides in. Form has got to be pretty much near peak now, and its showing...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 17 Jun 2019, 11:29 pm

Taylorman wrote:Yep, hence my comment. We are now at critical SR knockout stage. 4 sides in. Form has got to be pretty much near peak now, and its showing...

Not expecting to see much rotation of players? Other than form or injury issues.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 19 Jun 2019, 12:50 am

AWJ at number one folks Wink.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 19 Jun 2019, 11:32 am

mikey_dragon wrote:AWJ at number one folks Wink.

Money changing hands there eh? Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 19 Jun 2019, 11:35 am

I asked my wife and she said that AWJ isn't in the top 100 lock forwards in the world right now

I thought that was a bit excessive personally

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 19 Jun 2019, 11:42 am

Considering he hasn't yet got a club to play for next season it does seem a little odd.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 19 Jun 2019, 11:49 am

maestegmafia wrote:On the choice of AWJ as number one, England Sevens Superstar Ben Ryan said, “He’s like superglue for any team he plays for, unbreakable in the toughest of moments and that simultaneously elevates those around him too.

“He leads from the front with the highest level of guile, intellect and bravery that is a rarity even among the greats.”

This year AWJ captained Wales larger squad to their longest ever winning streak and against the odds then captained a rather un-fancied the Wales to the grand slam in probably the most competitive Six Nations of the professional era.

Based on the six nations its not an unreasonable claim. He was immense as captain. He is the best captain in world rugby right now for sure.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 19 Jun 2019, 11:50 am

I think that only having one representative from arguably the most difficult position on the pitch (centre) is a little odd.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 19 Jun 2019, 11:55 am

Farrell is sometimes a centre. Hooker, number 8, scrum half, out half and 15 are probably more key positions.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 19 Jun 2019, 12:02 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:Farrell is sometimes a centre. Hooker, number 8, scrum half, out half and 15 are probably more key positions.

True.

They may be more key positions, but I think the mix of skills and qualities required to play in the centres makes them more difficult to master. Given that, I'm surprised not to see at least one or two more.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down