The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The AWJ Appreciation Thread

+16
LondonTiger
bluestonevedder
Afro
No 7&1/2
Gooseberry
LordDowlais
robbo277
BamBam
Pie
yappysnap
mikey_dragon
R!skysports
Eejit
tigertattie
SecretFly
TightHEAD
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The AWJ Appreciation Thread Empty The AWJ Appreciation Thread

Post by TightHEAD Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 2:03

The man is a legend.

Lets big him up.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/lovely-thing-alun-wyn-jones-15985854

TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

The AWJ Appreciation Thread Empty Re: The AWJ Appreciation Thread

Post by SecretFly Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 2:12

He has a bird table and is kind to birds in the bad winter weather.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 2:19

I heard he is unbelievably quick to dip his full beam headlights so as not to dazzle other road users whilst driving in country lanes.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 2:31

He may indeed dip his headlights but it's more important to pull in and give way...which he of course does.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 2:34

It was just a decent thing for a human being to do. Kudos to AWJ for noticing as he would have had other things on his mind at the time.

I hope the lad still has the jacket and he plans on growing into it one day!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 2:36

tigertattie wrote:It was just a decent thing for a human being to do. Kudos to AWJ for noticing as he would have had other things on his mind at the time.

I hope the lad still has the jacket and he plans on growing into it one day!

TBH I doubt even the boys parents would have noticed him being cold.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 2:39

On a sidenote, I hope you all had a wonderful Six Nations. It really is the best time of year and its a shame that the world cup is on the other side of the planet this year as it is sort of frowned upon to get on it at 9am on a Monday morning.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 2:43

It was nice of AWJ. Always like to see player Genuinely communicate with the little kids holding their hands. Most do a grand job, others look like they are unwillingly carrying their wife's handbag in a underwear store. But if it's a moment to remember, thank Joe for allowing the dramatic weather in. Rugby is about weather as much as the game. It truly is. All the Welsh fans loved their day and they'll never forget the rain.

But back to AWJ

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 2:55

Lets send him to negotiate with the EU and secure a deal that keeps everyone happy.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 3:08

I was one that thought he should not have gone on the Lions tour and I stand by that. At the time he was not playing his best and I think was a weakness in our pack and got selected by a familiar coach.

However, this 6 nations, I can truly say he was a stand out player and captain and fully deserves to be leading the team to win the grandslam

Bravo young man

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 6:00

Awesome player. Regularly among the top stats, superb fitness, and an exceptional leader. World class individual.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 9:24

Great player, decent human being. A brilliant role model for youngsters. The world needs more of him.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 17:40

Tighthead you aren't fit to lace up his boots.

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 19:46

Pie wrote:Tighthead you aren't fit to lace up his boots. 

Whereas Pie is obviously a world class rugby player who has been lost to the game due to wanting to pursue a career in posting highly amusing comments on the Internet instead

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 20:12

BamBam wrote:

Whereas Pie is obviously a world class rugby player who has been lost to the game due to wanting to pursue a career in posting highly amusing comments on the Internet instead

I present to you a text book example of 'the pot calling the kettle black'!

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 20:18

AWJ gentlemen. If you all want threads dedicated to someone else, i.e. Best Rugby Player that Never Was. Blackest Pot on 606 - then create the thread.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 20:31

Yes boss!

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 20:43

The Oracle wrote:
BamBam wrote:

I present to you a text book example of 'the pot calling the kettle black'!

I've never accused a poster of not being fit to lace up an international rugby player's boots though angel

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 20:55

I like this sense of power! I think I'll demand to become a Mod.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 21:15

Has anyone seen AWJ helping to empty Wheelie Bins in his street? That would surely elevate him further?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 21:19

I don't get it.

He made 33 carries for 28m with only 2 defenders beaten and 6 gainline successes. He took 7 lineouts and stole none.

He's made 71/75 tackles and conceded 1 turnover, 3 penalties and made 1 handling errors, which to be fair is decent for a player in his position playing 4.5 games. I'm sure he has very good ruck stats in terms of involvements and rucks won - as Wales on the whole most likely did. But these are the stats of a solid "basics" player. A 2019 version of Steve Borthwick?

James Ryan carried more, carried further and had more gain line successes. Fewer tackles, but a higher completion rate (49/50). George Kruis made as many gain line successes and more metres through fewer carries and also had good tackle stats (67/73). Both made more errors, but took more lineouts, made some steals and Kruis also added two charge downs leading to tries.

But there is something else. Something extra. Something you definitely didn't get with Borthwick, something you don't get with Kruis, Ryan or many other locks in World Rugby right now. I just don't know what it is.

He obviously has a hugely galvanising effect on the Welsh pack and team as a whole. He is Gatland's on-field general, a real test match animal and Wales are a much stronger team with him in there. Even against Italy, the game changed when he came on. 10-12 became 10-19 within 5 minutes and 10-26 within 20.

Is it just the basics being done well at the right time? The basics being done well when the pressure comes on, when the scoreboard is against you, when your 20 phases deep in the red zone? Add that with some "unseen" work, clearing your own rucks, being hard to move at opposition rucks, leading the defensive line, niggling opponents to losing their cool while inspiring your team to keep theirs, good referee management, and it becomes quite an all-round player. The kind of player you want to have, the kind of player the opposition hate.

It doesn't need me to say it but he obviously has played a huge part in this Welsh Grand Slam and will have to play another huge part if Wales are to be successful in the autumn.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 21:20

The AWJ Appreciation Thread 1347041234 The AWJ Appreciation Thread 1347041234 The AWJ Appreciation Thread 1347041234 The AWJ Appreciation Thread 1347041234

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 21:22

He doesn't exactly empty them. He prepares a proper surface and duly proceeds to separate genuine rubbish, that goes into holes, from valuable recyclicable material, that has been overlooked by busy homeowners.. He itemises each item so that he creates specific bags with different types of plastic and paper/cardboard etc. Then bags them into separate bags and takes them personally in his lovely big LandRover to the recycle centre. Maybe detouring now and then to bring heavily pregnant ladies to the hospital just in time.

I'm glad this thread is back on track

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 21:26

That's Jake Ball's job, can't see why else he is in the squad!
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 21:29

robbo277 wrote:I don't get it.

He made 33 carries for 28m with only 2 defenders beaten and 6 gainline successes. He took 7 lineouts and stole none.

He's made 71/75 tackles and conceded 1 turnover, 3 penalties and made 1 handling errors, which to be fair is decent for a player in his position playing 4.5 games. I'm sure he has very good ruck stats in terms of involvements and rucks won - as Wales on the whole most likely did. But these are the stats of a solid "basics" player. A 2019 version of Steve Borthwick?

James Ryan carried more, carried further and had more gain line successes. Fewer tackles, but a higher completion rate (49/50). George Kruis made as many gain line successes and more metres through fewer carries and also had good tackle stats (67/73). Both made more errors, but took more lineouts, made some steals and Kruis also added two charge downs leading to tries.

But there is something else. Something extra. Something you definitely didn't get with Borthwick, something you don't get with Kruis, Ryan or many other locks in World Rugby right now. I just don't know what it is.

He obviously has a hugely galvanising effect on the Welsh pack and team as a whole. He is Gatland's on-field general, a real test match animal and Wales are a much stronger team with him in there. Even against Italy, the game changed when he came on. 10-12 became 10-19 within 5 minutes and 10-26 within 20.

Is it just the basics being done well at the right time? The basics being done well when the pressure comes on, when the scoreboard is against you, when your 20 phases deep in the red zone? Add that with some "unseen" work, clearing your own rucks, being hard to move at opposition rucks, leading the defensive line, niggling opponents to losing their cool while inspiring your team to keep theirs, good referee management, and it becomes quite an all-round player. The kind of player you want to have, the kind of player the opposition hate.

It doesn't need me to say it but he obviously has played a huge part in this Welsh Grand Slam and will have to play another huge part if Wales are to be successful in the autumn.

I wanted to stay off this thread as it is obviously a p!ss take, but I put this on the player of the 6N thread, and I hope it explains we we think so much of him in Wales:-

OK, you do not watch Wales as much as us Welsh, but because we always watch Wales, then we see the little differences he makes, he is first to every ruck, he is always in the middle of every maul, you would think our wingers would always be leading a kick chase, but you would be wrong, he is always there, he is everywhere.

Yes, we can all stand up and take notice of an epic try saving tackle, because they stand out, but AWJ is just a machine, and I do not say this in jest, but he could easily have MOM for every game he plays for Wales.

He is the same for Ospreys, I have seen this man be at the bottom of a ruck in his own 22, then get up and chase a kick from that ruck, and be the first man at the ruck in the oppositions 22.

He is always the first player standing there to stop a quick line out, he is always in the middle of the battle and communicating with everybody, including the officials, nobody sees the little non rewarding stuff he does, because people would rather see the flashing lights.

For AWJ will go down in history as one of the best players to ever represent Wales, and that is not something to be scoffed at when you think of players like Gareth Edwards, Phill Bennett, Bary John, JPR, John Dawes, to name a few.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 21:33

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 21:42

Why the blank reply SF ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 21:44

LordDowlais wrote:
robbo277 wrote:I don't get it.

I wanted to stay off this thread as it is obviously a p!ss take, but I put this on the player of the 6N thread, and I hope it explains we we think so much of him in Wales:-

OK, you do not watch Wales as much as us Welsh, but because we always watch Wales, then we see the little differences he makes, he is first to every ruck, he is always in the middle of every maul, you would think our wingers would always be leading a kick chase, but you would be wrong, he is always there, he is everywhere.

Yes, we can all stand up and take notice of an epic try saving tackle, because they stand out, but AWJ is just a machine, and I do not say this in jest, but he could easily have MOM for every game he plays for Wales.

He is the same for Ospreys, I have seen this man be at the bottom of a ruck in his own 22, then get up and chase a kick from that ruck, and be the first man at the ruck in the oppositions 22.

He is always the first player standing there to stop a quick line out, he is always in the middle of the battle and communicating with everybody, including the officials, nobody sees the little non rewarding stuff he does, because people would rather see the flashing lights.

For AWJ will go down in history as one of the best players to ever represent Wales, and that is not something to be scoffed at when you think of players like Gareth Edwards, Phill Bennett, Bary John, JPR, John Dawes, to name a few.

Thanks for your response, makes a lot of sense. You're a better team with him, that much is obvious even to me. I'll try and "player-cam" him a bit next time I'm watching him play OK

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 21:48

Oh that was just this pad acting up, Lord. The comment that didn't get through was just a laugh emoji at Tight's recent sound bite.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 21:52

Laugh

what is wrong with this one?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 21:59

That one will do, Tight.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 22:06

LordDowlais wrote:[

If this is true, and I have no reason to think you are lying, then that says a lot about the rest of the Ospreys team. That should not be physically possible unless he has the speed of Usain Bolt

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 22:23

Whilst i dont feel hes ever really stood out as an obvious "best in the world" in his position its the consistency over what is now a long career that makes him a genuine star. Never spectacular and in some regards maybe a bit of an old school lock forward without the thuggery, but hes shown time and again that as a player and leader hes hugely effective and good in all aspects of play. He has been underrated and undervalued at times.

Another thing to praise him for is remaining relatively low key and avoiding scandal on and off the pitch through his career.

Its fair for the Welsh to be proud of him, and all the British&Irish Lions folk too Whistle

The world cup, probably his last although theres a chance he could still play in 4 years, is the opportunity to really lay down a legacy. Wales are looking better now than they did going into the previous two and with both SA and Aus looking weak theres a real opportunity to reach the final. Wales have shown they know how to win big matches, and AWJ is undoubtedly a key part of that. They should feel like they can beat anyone on their day Hug

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 22:56

BamBam wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:[

If this is true, and I have no reason to think you are lying, then that says a lot about the rest of the Ospreys team. That should not be physically possible unless he has the speed of Usain Bolt

He did not beat the ball. But he was the first one there. This I have seen on numerous occasions.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 23:04

So this is the scenario

1. AWJ at bottom of ruck on 22
2. Scrum half passes back to kicker, who kicks deep within the opposition 22
3. Ospreys chasers run from within their own 22 and make the tackle on the opposition 22
4. In the time it takes for the pass back to the kicker, the kick to travel and for the catcher to be tackled, AWJ has got up off the deck, run from 22 to 22 to be in the right area, and then hit the next ruck before ~10 of his team mates (excluding anyone else in the same ruck as him, the scrum half, the tackler and possibly the kicker)

Do you see why I think it sounds crazy?

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 23:07

You're forgetting the dynamics of a cape in motion.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 23:14

BamBam wrote:So this is the scenario

3. Ospreys chasers run from within their own 22 and make the tackle on the opposition 22
4. In the time it takes for the pass back to the kicker, the kick to travel and for the catcher to be tackled, AWJ has got up off the deck, run from 22 to 22 to be in the right area, and then hit the next ruck before ~10 of his team mates (excluding anyone else in the same ruck as him, the scrum half, the tackler and possibly the kicker)

It happens like this.

The ball gets kicked from the 22, it ends up in the oppo 22, the defending player picks it up and gets tackled, and the first player to the ruck from the defending side is AWJ.

Now stop being a troll. You are not clever, so stop trying to be.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 23:29

He's not trying to be clever he's saying the ospreys team must either be slow or lazy for a guy at the bottom of the precious ruck to be second man to the ball.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 23:29

No 7&1/2 wrote:He's not trying to be clever he's saying the ospreys team must either be slow or lazy for a guy at the bottom of the precious ruck to be second man to the ball.

Well, I take it you do not watch much Ospreys games lately. Rolling Eyes

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 23:36

Which leads us to the fact you're exaggerating just a touch.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 23:42

Do you know what, the trolls on here, like you, BamBam, tighthead to name a few are seriously starting to get tiresome.

I am no more exaggerating than you do when you wax lyrical about Farrell. Now you and you mates can bugger off and leave me alone.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 23:45

LordDowlais wrote:

Similarly I wanted to steer clear of commenting, but this essentially says he runs about the most and put's the most effort in.

This is commendable, but we are talking about professional's at the top of their game. it shouldn't just be about how much effort and workload they put in.

What makes AWJ a great player, is that he leads by example by doing the above, but he also makes the right decisions and drags the other players to doing the same and putting even more efforts in. His skill in defending the maul, being able to disrupt is also understated.

I'm in the camp of saying that whilst I am not sure he would get into the England or Ireland squads on technical ability, he is exactly what England are missing at the moment in their ability to fold, and that is to be able to assess the situation, take hold of the team and say "right, we are turning this situation around"
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 23:47

It's not trolling LD. The scenario you've just given suggests that the ospreys are either very slow you're exaggerating or thinking it through logically the opposition full back etc has run the ball back to about where Jones is getting up from. He s a very good player no need to pretend.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 23:55

You are trolling, and your behaviour has driven members away from this forum. Nothing looks like changing either.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 19 Mar 2019 - 23:58

Yeah alright LD. It's not trolling to say you're wrong. It may annoy you but I'm ok with that. I'll leave it there as you're unable to respond without getting snippy.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 20 Mar 2019 - 0:06

AWJ is a great player. I don't give a damn how deficient he might be in any 'technical' rugby mumbo jumbo debate. He's great because of that warrior rage in him to drag his players through the physical stuff and rise their spirits. They play better when they see his mood and his purpose. Did he go to officer school and learn all about the tactics of great Generals? Who cares. He's the leader in the dirty battle on the ground and his troops follow his example and instincts.

And having said all that I say too, to Lord, would you every grow a thicker adult skin and stop looking to be offended so often. Rugby is a game, opposition fans watch it and rivalry brings banter and oneupmanship. This site is gone because too many fragile souls didn't want to have their opinions questioned, disagreed with or to be sneered at. It happens. That life and it's good.

Please stop giving out on every damn thread about every alternate opinion.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 20 Mar 2019 - 0:29

LordDowlais wrote:
BamBam wrote:So this is the scenario

It happens like this.

The ball gets kicked from the 22, it ends up in the oppo 22, the defending player picks it up and gets tackled, and the first player to the ruck from the defending side is AWJ.

Now stop being a troll. You are not clever, so stop trying to be.

Its not trolling to prove that you are making outlandish comments.

For me to have made an equivalent statement about Owen Farrell, I'd have to claim that he kicked and caught his own cross field kick to score a try - let me know where I've done that, and I'll happily apologise

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 20 Mar 2019 - 0:34

I saw that game. Gotta say, he was brilliant that day.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Wed 20 Mar 2019 - 0:38

SecretFly wrote:I saw that game.  Gotta say, he was brilliant that day.

Which one? The one where Farrell caught his own cross kick, or where AWJ was first to the ruck after the tackler.

Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Wed 20 Mar 2019 - 0:40

I saw the one where Farrell caught his own cross kick. The only issue I had with it, is that he then tackled himself with a no-arms shoulder charge and was not carded for it
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next