The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gordon Banks RIP

5 posters

Go down

Gordon Banks RIP Empty Gordon Banks RIP

Post by wisden Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:21 pm

Sadly Gordon Banks passed away last night at the age of 81 at home. RIP

wisden

Back to top Go down

Gordon Banks RIP Empty Re: Gordon Banks RIP

Post by Duty281 Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:49 am

Very sad news to hear. Impeccable gentleman, World Cup winner (shame about the 1970 controversy), and one of the greatest goalkeepers to have played the beautiful game.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:49 am

Duty281 wrote:Very sad news to hear. Impeccable gentleman, World Cup winner (shame about the 1970 controversy), and one of the greatest goalkeepers to have played the beautiful game.

What was the 1970 World Cup controversy that GB was involved in?

Not in the GB World Class, but Fred Pickering was a fine striker before injury stepped in; died earlier this week - Ian Ross too, just to balance Stanley Park.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:16 am

I was referring mainly to the murky story of Banks falling ill right on the eve of the quarter-final against West Germany, as well as all the other shenanigans that went on.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:36 pm

Had to add my nod to this...81 not a bad innings , but sad just the same to hear of the demise of this great player. Four of the heroes of 1966 now in footballers Valhalla...

RIP Gordon .

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:25 pm

alfie wrote:Had to add my nod to this...81 not a bad innings , but sad just the same to hear of the demise of this great player.  Four of the heroes of 1966 now in footballers Valhalla...

RIP Gordon .

Alfie - I read that amongst the many former players at Gordon Banks' funeral was George Eastham. That name won't mean anything to 99+ per cent of posters here but you might just recall that back in the early '60s he was front and back page news as he successfully challenged in the courts the unfairness of the ''retain and transfer'' system which could tie a player to a club for life and see him go unpaid if he sought a move away. He was a non-playing member of England's '66 squad and later a team mate of Gordon Banks at Stoke City. He scored the winning goal when Stoke, with Banks still between the sticks, won the League Cup in '72.

Anyway, after his playing career here he emigrated to South Africa where he still lives now at the age of 82. He flew from South Africa to specially attend Banks' funeral. I thought that said a lot about both of them.

PS and edit: Kwini will undoubtedly remember Eastham.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:57 am

guildford,
I never saw this post, but yes, George Eastham was quite the man, player and advocate. One of very few England players who went to two World Cups and never played a match.

And I'm only here because I see his contemporary, sort of, Tommy Smith just went to see Bill Shankly in his boot room in the sky.

Harder than nails

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:13 am

Hi Kwini - it was Tommy Smith who made me also look in here now.

''Harder than nails'' +1

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:45 am

Hello guildford,
The Grim Reaper has thankfully taken a few weeks off, not taking in too many footballers and very few cricketers.
Only saw Smith once, but Shankly's bon mot about Smith not being born, but "quarried" was as graphic as it was priceless! Just one cap is as hard to comprehend as it was 50 years ago.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:02 pm

Ivor Broadis has died, aged 96.
Quite the character by all accounts, and England's longest-living international until his death this week. I wonder who succeeds him in that position?

Someone posted a wonderful video on here of Broadis a couple of years ago, still perfectly content in his Carlisle semi.
Also apparently the first player manager (of Carlisle) to transfer himself, for 18,000 pounds to Sunderland in 1949!

(I hope these things don't come in threes.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down