The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can ANYONE stop Rafa from winning ANOTHER French Open title?

+5
kemet
JuliusHMarx
Calder106
No name Bertie
LuvSports!
9 posters

Go down

Can ANYONE stop Rafa from winning ANOTHER French Open title? Empty Can ANYONE stop Rafa from winning ANOTHER French Open title?

Post by LuvSports! Wed 23 May 2018 - 12:50

I don't think so, tbh.
But here are the people I think could trouble the greatest clay court player ever.
Thoughts?

http://richard-mills-sports.blogspot.co.uk/2018/05/can-anyone-stop-rafael-nadal-from.html

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Can ANYONE stop Rafa from winning ANOTHER French Open title? Empty Re: Can ANYONE stop Rafa from winning ANOTHER French Open title?

Post by No name Bertie Wed 23 May 2018 - 15:06

"Footnote: Andy Murray is injured, Stan Wawrinka is on the comeback trail"

I am not sure Andy Murray can be described as "injured" he is supposedly "on the slow journey back after having an operation to fix his hip injury / hip condition".  As yet he keeps declining invites to challenger tournaments saying he is not quite ready.  The BBC say it is believed Murray has had "setbacks" but this could be just hot air on their part - as possible explanation as to why Murray has declined some of the invites on tournaments Murray had hoped to make.  I just think Murray was overly optimistic on how long it would take to recover - but there seems to be very little information coming out of the Murray camp. (Ps I am sure even a fully fit / recuperated Murray would not be able to beat Nadal at RG).

As to "Can Anyone stop Rafa winning ... French Open" - the answer is no at the moment - only Rafa's body can beat him at the moment.  He can also be beaten under very damp conditions - but the game will likely be suspended under those circumstances.  When the ball gets wet Nadal loses the advantage of being able to spin the ball.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Can ANYONE stop Rafa from winning ANOTHER French Open title? Empty Re: Can ANYONE stop Rafa from winning ANOTHER French Open title?

Post by Calder106 Wed 23 May 2018 - 16:11

Out of the names mentioned I think only Thiem and Zverev would have any chance of beating Nadal. Zverev would need to get to the final to do so which considering his slam record to date would be a big step up for him. Thiem had a good year on clay in 2017 but appears to be a bit more inconsistent in 2018. I would have said Del Potro on his day but it looks like he might not even be fit enough to start this year.

As an aside the semi final last year between Wawrinka and Murray must have been pretty brutal as both picked up or worsened injuries which have more or less put them out of tennis for a year.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Thu 24 May 2018 - 22:27

Here is the draw for Roland Garros 2018. Tournament starts this Sunday 27th May:
https://www.rolandgarros.com/en-us/results/1?type=SM

The qualifiers set to be completed by tomorrow I believe. Note one Ernesto Gulbis in the qualifiers - he has made it to the final round:
https://www.rolandgarros.com/en-us/results/1?type=QM
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 24 May 2018 - 23:00

Blimey - Gulbis - whatever happened to him. 4 years ago he was talked about as one of the next gen of stars (albeit with a big mouth). All downhill since then.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Fri 8 Jun 2018 - 16:28

This is Rafael Nadal's tournament to lose. When he hangs up his racquet, I believe that his record slam tally at Roland Garros will stand for a long time.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 8 Jun 2018 - 19:21

Of course, the answer to the original question on this topic is: No.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Fri 8 Jun 2018 - 20:45

I think 12 French open would be fitting for Nadal. Twice as many as Borg, I thought 6 would never be beaten !

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 9 Jun 2018 - 16:18

Unless Nadal has a bad day at the office, no one, this time.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Sat 9 Jun 2018 - 23:49

lets see tomorrow

I think nadal hasnt been as dominant as last year (clay season I mean)

but of course, beating him in a roland garros final is the tallest wall in the sport

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down