The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should the current Welsh coaching team be sacked?

+9
RuggerRadge2611
catchweight
TightHEAD
TJ
nathan
majesticimperialman
exile jack
SecretFly
Steffan
13 posters

Go down

Poll

Should the current Welsh coaching team be sacked? Vote_lcap27%Should the current Welsh coaching team be sacked? Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 6 ]
Should the current Welsh coaching team be sacked? Vote_lcap0%Should the current Welsh coaching team be sacked? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Should the current Welsh coaching team be sacked? Vote_lcap14%Should the current Welsh coaching team be sacked? Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 3 ]
Should the current Welsh coaching team be sacked? Vote_lcap18%Should the current Welsh coaching team be sacked? Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 4 ]
Should the current Welsh coaching team be sacked? Vote_lcap41%Should the current Welsh coaching team be sacked? Vote_rcap 41% 
[ 9 ]

Total Votes : 22

Should the current Welsh coaching team be sacked? Empty Should the current Welsh coaching team be sacked?

Post by Steffan Sun 25 Feb 2018, 2:13 pm

Just a poll to see people's opinion on here

And to debate your opinion on the matter

I would say that yes there needs to be some fresh blood. Problem is I am not sure who is available at the moment

I am sure some of you more knowledgeable rugby fans will have an idea though

That is if you think Gats and Co should go. Maybe you think they are doing a grand old job

Discuss

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Should the current Welsh coaching team be sacked? Empty Re: Should the current Welsh coaching team be sacked?

Post by SecretFly Sun 25 Feb 2018, 2:28 pm

Dangerously close to a traditional English response to losing.

Gatland is a fine coach.  Now, I'm not saying he operates alone but he's the overlord and, with Wales, he's worked about as much magic as he can over his tenure.  He gets hit by injuries and bad form players as much as any team does but he's a damn fine coach.  We all 'hate' him here in Ireland - and he 'hates' us.  But that's a 'hate' of mutual respect.  He knows we think him a dangerous and formidable thinking coach. He knows a little of the 'hate' is fear. We hope his 'hate' of us is a grunt of respect too.
If I were Welsh I'd want him to continue with this newish incarnation of Wales International until the world cup (they look an exciting team on the dash and if they hone it to Scottish levels, then they'll have a side that no team will like defending against
Anyway, by WC time it might be a successful competition for the Welsh and if not, I'd say Gatland will be finishing up his Welsh adventure anyway.  He won't have to be pushed.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Should the current Welsh coaching team be sacked? Empty Re: Should the current Welsh coaching team be sacked?

Post by Guest Sun 25 Feb 2018, 2:59 pm

My opinion:

Let Gats see out his contract. He's overseen a lot of good stuff. Then let the new coach bring in whatever back room staff he likes, and if that means the remaining/current Welsh coaches get the sack then so be it. New coach should not be lumbered with existing coaches, IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by exile jack Sun 25 Feb 2018, 3:00 pm

If you look closely at the performances of Ireland,Scotland and England yesterday the Welsh coaching team must face the reality that they cannot prepare the 23 for international rugby.Yesterday,leaving aside the absence of any hwyl,the front row was invisible,Hill does not have the power to be an international lock,the back row lacks speed,we lack ball carriers,the tactical kicking is atrocious,the speed of the alignment following ruck and maul is poor and we pick a 10 whose time has come and gone and a 9 who is too slow to get the ball away and who can't box kick.We also have a back 3 that carries little threat as a unit.

When you add to that forwards and backs coaches
who demonstrably have failed to advance the team,a defence coach who thinks rugby games should be won by the team that tackles most and a Head Coach drifting to the end of his contract the future does not appear bright.

Some might think this a bit harsh but consider this:there have been far too many matches similar to yesterday where the team goes absent for long periods;far too many player selections not based on form;far too many rugby weaknesses not addressed;far too many opportunities not taken to change the style of play;far too many entries in the Gatland et al excuse playbook.

Watch yesterday's game with the sound off and you decide how many times Wales threatened the Irish line.If I had a wish granted by the WRU I would ask that the Scotland game yesterday was played 24x7x14 to the Welsh players and management.

What about Wales v Italy and Wales v France.Don't care,can't be bothered.Not wasting my money or time.

exile jack

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 25 Feb 2018, 5:07 pm

I think Gatland is a good coach. He as been the best coach Wales have had for a long time.
But a head coach can only do so mutch, the rest of the coaches have to be up to his standard/s. But my point is are the likes of Howley, Edwards, Mcbride, up to the job of getting Wales in the wining mood.

I do not think Wales will want to change any coaches  before the  next RWC. 

But if you do change your coach/es who do you bring in to replace them?
And how long does he.they get to turn the team/squad around?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 25 Feb 2018, 6:50 pm

Need to wait for their new style of play to bed in, get some more experience for the younger guys. Think it's too late in the cycle to get rid

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 25 Feb 2018, 7:32 pm

I think its too late in the WC cycle to get rid as well. Last year was the time after the 6N. I think they should go tho - I don't think gatland can take the team any further and I think his coaching ability is flattered by the good group of players he has had to work with.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sun 25 Feb 2018, 9:29 pm

Poor Gats, the Welsh fans are never happy. The guy is the most successful coach Wales will ever get yet they don't appreachiate him.

Careful what you wish for!
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 25 Feb 2018, 9:34 pm

Wales would be mad to get rid of Gatland. Hes a top coach.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 25 Feb 2018, 9:35 pm

They won't. He's already said he's off back to NZ when his contract expires. And that's when he'll go, IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Sun 25 Feb 2018, 9:38 pm

I don't like Gatland, I don't make that a secret, however his results and record speak for itself.

I ask the question is he the one to get the best out of this current crop of players? You can't deny he did well with the golden generation of Roberts, Hook, North, Cuthbert, Williams, AWJ and Warbs.

Now I feel someone like Pivac or Dai get more out of Liam Williams, Patchell, Anscombe, Moriarty, Shingler et al
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Mon 26 Feb 2018, 1:28 pm

Sack the coaching team.... since when has football mentality rules in rugby...

Brilliant result against Scotland
Great performance against England (not forgetting 2nd World Ranking team at home, and only 6 point loss)
Cr@p performance against a far better Irish side (yet, 3 tries with so little possession and territory - shows and attacking game is coming)

Sack the coaching team 18 months from a World cup.. Who do we bring in. Another poor sod to fail like Gareth Jenkins.

Grow up... We stick with the set up and let Gatland do what he's good at. After all, the next RWC will be his final audition for the job he wants (All Blacks).

(not voted by the way, as the options seem loaded).

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 26 Feb 2018, 1:41 pm

options loaded?

I think "See how things go...maybe the next RWC at least" would suit your comments, No9

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Mon 26 Feb 2018, 1:49 pm

Well not really, as we know there'll be a change after the RWC.

Gatts is leaving then, and other contracts also come to an end. It will be up to the new "head" coach to appoint his team. At that time, it may be Pivac or maybe someone else will be the flavour of the month by then.

But talk of sacking the team, is just silly.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 26 Feb 2018, 4:44 pm

Should have got rid of Gatland after the last RWC.

Gatland's win percentage has fluttered around the 50% mark.

In the 6 nations, the only coaches with lower winning %s are France and Italy....

Wales haven't made much progress in the last few years.

There's the belief every year that Gatland will come good but hasn't happened for years.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 26 Feb 2018, 5:27 pm

beshocked wrote:Should have got rid of Gatland after the last RWC.

In the 6 nations, the only coaches with lower winning %s are France and Italy....

There's the belief every year that Gatland will come good but hasn't happened for years.

A new coach won't make a shred of difference at this point, welsh rugby structure at the lower levels needs to improve. Gatland's done a great job in the quite amateur set-up we have whilst carrying Laurel and Hardy. Over 70% in the 6N is decent, without a loss to Scotland or Italy might I add Beshocked, and also a good win rate over France in recent years.

I did think we'd come good this year but it's been disrupted by injury and a bit of a transitional period... there's always next year I guess.

As for the thread I wouldn't take much notice of it. The poster is one of the Ponty ilk. Er.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 27 Feb 2018, 9:12 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
beshocked wrote:Should have got rid of Gatland after the last RWC.

A new coach won't make a shred of difference at this point, welsh rugby structure at the lower levels needs to improve. Gatland's done a great job in the quite amateur set-up we have whilst carrying Laurel and Hardy. Over 70% in the 6N is decent, without a loss to Scotland or Italy might I add Beshocked, and also a good win rate over France in recent years.  

I did think we'd come good this year but it's been disrupted by injury and a bit of a transitional period... there's always next year I guess.

As for the thread I wouldn't take much notice of it. The poster is one of the Ponty ilk. Er.

Disagree. Wales need a fresh approach.

France are in the doldrums though.

There's always next year when it comes to Gatland.... but not much seems to change.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 01 Mar 2018, 6:59 pm

Wales have done much better under Gatland than any coach since the 1970's. I wish he'd stop going on "leave" though. He only seems to be in work half the time.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 02 Mar 2018, 4:08 pm

Shifty wrote:Wales have done much better under Gatland than any coach since the 1970's.  I wish he'd stop going on "leave" though.  He only seems to be in work half the time.  
I think we can be certain those days are now behind him, Shifty. Oh he might do the Lions job again but I don't think he'll be getting leave from WRU by then.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 02 Mar 2018, 4:09 pm

He might even become the first time Permanent Lions coach! Full time permanent Lions coach until he retires from coaching. He can play Xbox games for three years and then put on his tracksuit in the 4th.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down