The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barker could fight Sergio Martinez

+7
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Valero's Conscience
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Seanusarrilius
captain carrantuohil
Michael Easton
Young_Towzer
11 posters

Go down

Barker could fight Sergio Martinez Empty Barker could fight Sergio Martinez

Post by Young_Towzer Thu 09 Jun 2011, 12:19 pm

Darren Barker has been tweeting about a fight with Sergio Martinez and Martinez also mentioned the Brit as a possible opponent, should expected the fight with manufactured Chavez Jr not go ahead, now i have a ton of respect for Darren as a bloke in and out of the ring but this is a fight too ambitious imo. However, he may never get another shot, i'd defend the European title and angle for a shot at a fighter like Chavez, who Barker would school imo, if i was Barker.

They have apparently spoken about an October 1st fight in the USA against Maravilla, HBO won't know Barker from Charlie Adam though!!

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Barker could fight Sergio Martinez Empty Re: Barker could fight Sergio Martinez

Post by Michael Easton Thu 09 Jun 2011, 12:25 pm

I doubt HBO would put this fight on air; they put the kibosh on Zbik as an opponents for Martinez because he was unknown and can see Barker being given a similar excuse.

Then Arum will choose Barker as an opponent for Chavez and he'll be perfect.

Michael Easton

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Thu 09 Jun 2011, 12:54 pm

Then Arum will choose Barker as an opponent for Chavez and he'll be perfect.
Lets hope so, Barker will school him imo

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 09 Jun 2011, 12:59 pm

Have to agree with YT here. God knows that the middleweight division is generally at one of the lowest ebbs in its distinguished history, but it's hard to think of any fighter in or around the top 10 160 lb contenders whom I wouldn't give a favourite's chance against young Chavez. That includes Barker, and I'm a long way yet from being convinced that Darren is of genuinely world championship calibre.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 09 Jun 2011, 2:00 pm

Barker will get KTFO against Martinez in 5. Euro level fighter who just so happens to be in a euro level division, so good luck to him. Martinez KTFO inside 5

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 09 Jun 2011, 3:27 pm

I feel sorry for Martinez, he is a top top fighter on a hot streak and can't find any marquee fighters. Middleweight is very weak, suppermiddle is very strong and bar cotto the LMW division is also quite weak. I know he wants a supperfight with manny or Floyd, but neiter of tem would step up to 154lbs as they would both probably lose to the bigger man.

He can step up to 168lbs but given he is a small Middleweiggt I can't see him beating any of kessler, ward, froch etc. Cotto would be a good fight but not very competetive and cotto has lost a bit of public appeal since marg. Chavez would be easy money for Sergio. Chavez, although a terrible champion, has a huge fanbase and millions watch him either to support him or to see him get beat. I think that barker gets taken out in 6 rounds by Martinez. He is decent but nit world class whereas Sergio is.

Sergio should hold out for Alvarez. Like Chavez, he is very beatable and has an even larger fanbase so it would sell very well

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 09 Jun 2011, 3:41 pm

I'd be disappointed if Martinez fights Barker, he's better than that and can surely get someone better, no disrespect to Barker but he's only Euro level.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 09 Jun 2011, 4:00 pm

Barker would be schooled like a chinese kid.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Thu 09 Jun 2011, 4:33 pm

Barker deserves his chance if he gets it and he should take it. Martinez would be a hot favourite no doubt but to say Barker is only European level is doing him a bit of an injustice. He hasn't fought at world level yet so we just don't know.

Macklin may yet beat Sturm and become a legitimate world champion in a couple of weeks so let's get things into a bit of perspective shall we?
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmythebullet Thu 09 Jun 2011, 4:37 pm

Barker UD Wink

Jimmythebullet

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Easton Thu 09 Jun 2011, 4:42 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Barker would be schooled like a chinese kid.

I have to ask - schooled like a chinese kid? Eh?

Michael Easton

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 09 Jun 2011, 4:45 pm

Michael Easton wrote:
Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Barker would be schooled like a chinese kid.

I have to ask - schooled like a chinese kid? Eh?

Think he means he will be taught Acrobatics and Caligraphy

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Thu 09 Jun 2011, 4:53 pm

Barker could beat Chavez jr I agree, although the consensus is Zbik beat him but was robbed by the judges so Darren may have to do a real number on him to avoid suffering a similar fate - the guy is one of the most protected fighters I've ever known.

Martinez is a bridge too far for barker. Boxing is all about levels and Martinez is a cut above him, and would give him a lesson IMO. I have a lot of time for Sergio, a class act in and out of the ring. I'd back him to beat both manny and floyd but those fights will never happen - he's too big and too good for floyd or arum to risk it. He may have to look north rather than south of 160 to get a big fight. He's established as the best 160lb fighter, and this year we will determine the best 168lb guy when ward and froch meet. A bout with the winner would be huge. I think ward will beat froch in a close fight, but I'd back Martinez to beat ward even at 168 - or as catchweights are so popular nowadays maybe they could do 165. I'd just love to see Martinez get the big fight his career and ability deserve - the biggest likelihood is a rubber match with Williams (who Sergio has beaten twice IMO).
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Thu 09 Jun 2011, 4:56 pm

Barker could beat Chavez jr I agree, although the consensus is Zbik beat him but was robbed by the judges so Darren may have to do a real number on him to avoid suffering a similar fate - the guy is one of the most protected fighters I've ever known.
I'll second that

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down