The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was Mcgregor the toughtes opponent mayweather has faced? the stats say yes

+15
smashingstormcrow
BoxingFan88
Nadalnation
3fingers
DuransHorse
Basset
catchweight
melv500
Nico the gman
LionsV2
AdamT
EX7EY
mobilemaster8
eirebilly
Muscular-mouse
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Was Mcgregor the toughtes opponent mayweather has faced? the stats say yes Empty Was Mcgregor the toughtes opponent mayweather has faced? the stats say yes

Post by Muscular-mouse Sun 27 Aug 2017, 3:12 pm

punch stats show that mcgregor was floyds toughest opponent. punches McGregor landed and the punches Floyd managed to land show that McGregor was the toughest fight Mayweather has faced in quite some time.

Last edited by Muscular-mouse on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Muscular-mouse

Back to top Go down

Was Mcgregor the toughtes opponent mayweather has faced? the stats say yes Empty Re: Was Mcgregor the toughtes opponent mayweather has faced? the stats say yes

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 3:16 pm

Not in a million years. McGregor's punches (aside from 1 uppercut) lacked any sort of power to even phase Mayweather.

For me, it was one of the easiest fights Mayweather has ever had. Never once was he remotely out of control.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Was Mcgregor the toughtes opponent mayweather has faced? the stats say yes Empty Re: Was Mcgregor the toughtes opponent mayweather has faced? the stats say yes

Post by Muscular-mouse Sun 27 Aug 2017, 3:23 pm

eirebilly wrote:Not in a million years. McGregor's punches (aside from 1 uppercut) lacked any sort of power to even phase Mayweather.

For me, it was one of the easiest fights Mayweather has ever had. Never once was he remotely out of control.

I'm talking about on paper as the video shows McGregor had more success landing punches and avoiding punches than mayweathers most recent opponents.

Muscular-mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 27 Aug 2017, 3:28 pm

His easiest fight and his most aggressive....and rightly so....it's just completely different.

Conor landed about 25% of his shots.

Floyd had a career high of around 50%!!

The story on paper sells itself. Floyd threw more power shots than he did jabs!! Says it all really.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 3:30 pm

Don't really give much credence to stats myself. I prefer to watch the fights and what I saw, in my opinion, was complete domination from Mayweather.

40 years old, 2 years retired, ring rusty and still put McGregor away with absolute ease.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Muscular-mouse Sun 27 Aug 2017, 3:30 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:His easiest fight and his most aggressive....and rightly so....it's just completely different.

Conor landed about 25% of his shots.

Floyd had a career high of around 50%!!

The story on paper sells itself. Floyd threw more power shots than he did jabs!! Says it all really.

but what does it say that conor LANDED more punches than Robert guerrero, andre berto, manny pacquiao and received LESS punches than alvarez, berto, guerrero?

Muscular-mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Muscular-mouse Sun 27 Aug 2017, 3:31 pm

eirebilly wrote:Don't really give much credence to stats myself. I prefer to watch the fights and what I saw, in my opinion, was complete domination from Mayweather.

40 years old, 2 years retired, ring rusty and still put McGregor away with absolute ease.

All of that would be impressive if he wasn't fighting Mcgregor who has never had a pro boxing fght before

Muscular-mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 3:37 pm

Muscular-mouse wrote:
eirebilly wrote:Don't really give much credence to stats myself. I prefer to watch the fights and what I saw, in my opinion, was complete domination from Mayweather.

All of that would be impressive if he wasn't fighting Mcgregor who has never had a pro boxing fght before

Not sure what you are aiming at now? Saying that stats claim McGregor was Mayweather's toughest fight but then saying that the fact that Mayweather is 40, retired for 2 years and ring rusty matters not because McGregor has never had a pro fight?

Sorry if I am missing some point but very confused here.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Muscular-mouse Sun 27 Aug 2017, 3:51 pm

Yes exactly. You can't make excuses for Mayweather by bringing his age or retirement into the argument when his opponent is a novice.

Muscular-mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 3:58 pm

But if you believe in the stats, in saying "punch stats show that mcgregor was floyds toughest opponent. punches McGregor landed and the punches Floyd managed to land show that McGregor was the toughest fight Mayweather has faced in quite some time." then surely the stats that he is 40, been retired for 2 years and is ring rusty should also count?

If Mayweather was in his prime fighting McGregor yesterday, would the result have been the same?

Seriously unsure what point you are trying to make here.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Sun 27 Aug 2017, 4:16 pm

Is this a real article?

I await the slow motion videos of mcgregor destroying mayweather until the ref stopped the fight far too soon..

Hahahahaha

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 27 Aug 2017, 4:22 pm

He landed more than those because Mayweather fought a completely different fight. No jab. Gung-ho. Walked forward taking shots. He said he was going to do that. If he had fought the way he did against Pacman or Canelo then it would have been a farce. Conor wouldn't have landed a stance let alone a punch.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Muscular-mouse Sun 27 Aug 2017, 4:31 pm

eirebilly wrote:But if you believe in the stats, in saying "punch stats show that mcgregor was floyds toughest opponent. punches McGregor landed and the punches Floyd managed to land show that McGregor was the toughest fight Mayweather has faced in quite some time." then surely the stats that he is 40, been retired for 2 years and is ring rusty should also count?

If Mayweather was in his prime fighting McGregor yesterday, would the result have been the same?

so now you are making an excuse that he wasn't in his prime? mayweather was facing a guy who has never stepped inside the ring before as a professional, no excuses. face it McGregor landed more punches than most of floyds recent opponents and he received less punches too.

Last edited by Muscular-mouse on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Muscular-mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Muscular-mouse Sun 27 Aug 2017, 4:33 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:He landed more than those because Mayweather fought a completely different fight. No jab. Gung-ho. Walked forward taking shots. He said he was going to do that.  If he had fought the way he did against Pacman or Canelo then it would have been a farce. Conor wouldn't have landed a stance let alone a punch.

but Mayweather still landed less punches on McGregor then he did against berto, guerrero, maidana, alvarez.... so yes he you can argue McGregor landed more because Floyd was more open but then Floyd didn't land as much even though as you say, he was gung ho and throwing more shots

Muscular-mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 27 Aug 2017, 4:35 pm

Is it not obvious Floyd was trying to walk through him, mainly throwing big rights.

He didn't need his defence. It was glorified sparring and for once Floyd delivered excitement.

Conor did brilliant for debut, but Floyd had no respect for his power, or skills

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 4:39 pm

Muscular-mouse wrote:
eirebilly wrote:But if you believe in the stats, in saying "punch stats show that mcgregor was floyds toughest opponent. punches McGregor landed and the punches Floyd managed to land show that McGregor was the toughest fight Mayweather has faced in quite some time." then surely the stats that he is 40, been retired for 2 years and is ring rusty should also count?

so now you are making an excuse that he wasn't in his prime? face it McGregor landed more punches than most of floyds recent opponents and he received less punches too.

I am not making any excuses, I am saying if that you believe in stats so much to form an opinion then the biggest stat is the fact that Mayweather is 40, been retired for 2 years and as such is ring rusty. That would probably explain why McGregor landed as many punches as he did and why Mayweather didn't land so many on him.

Me, I watch a fight to form an opinion, not use stats and in my opinion, this was a very easy fight for Mayweather. Controlled from round one to the stoppage.

Can you please explain what point you are actually trying to make because I am still very unsure.

eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Muscular-mouse Sun 27 Aug 2017, 4:45 pm

eirebilly wrote:
Muscular-mouse wrote:

so now you are making an excuse that he wasn't in his prime? face it McGregor landed more punches than most of floyds recent opponents and he received less punches too.

I am not making any excuses, I am saying if that you believe in stats so much to form an opinion then the biggest stat is the fact that Mayweather is 40, been retired for 2 years and as such is ring rusty. That would probably explain why McGregor landed as many punches as he did and why Mayweather didn't land so many on him.

Me, I watch a fight to form an opinion, not use stats and in my opinion, this was a very easy fight for Mayweather. Controlled from round one to the stoppage.

Can you please explain what point you are actually trying to make because I am still very unsure.

the biggest stat would be conor being 0-0 and Floyd being 49-0... you are saying Mayweather is ring rusty as he has bene out of the ring for 2 years, how rusty must McGregor be then considering he has NEVER been in the ring....

I wouldn't say he controlled from round 1 considering he lost the first 3 rounds on 1 of the judges scorecards.

Muscular-mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 4:48 pm

Mayweather lost the first two rounds on points as he was working out McGregor's approach, good boxers do that. He was never flustered or out of control, he got McGregor to do exactly what he wanted him to do from round one.

If you do not fight for 2 years then yes, you are bound to be ring rusty... I know McGregor is a Novice, I am simply responding to what you are saying but struggling to understand you.

For the last time, I ask you. What point are you trying to make?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Sun 27 Aug 2017, 4:54 pm

He's trying to say mcgregor was mayweathers career hardest fight. It's ludicrous.

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by Muscular-mouse Sun 27 Aug 2017, 4:56 pm

eirebilly wrote:Mayweather lost the first two rounds on points as he was working out McGregor's approach, good boxers do that. He was never flustered or out of control, he got McGregor to do exactly what he wanted him to do from round one.

If you do not fight for 2 years then yes, you are bound to be ring rusty... I know McGregor is a Novice, I am simply responding to what you are saying but struggling to understand you.

For the last time, I ask you. What point are you trying to make?

You can't bring ring rust into this debate because the ring rust argument favours McGregor because he has never been in the ring whilst Mayweather was in the ring 2 years ago.

if you don't understand the point I am making just read the title of the post. Mcgregor on punch stats gave Floyd his toughest fight in recent years. Landed more punches and received less punches than most of floyds recent opponents. You then decided to make up some excuse about Floyd having ring rust even though McGregor has never stepped into the ring before picard

Muscular-mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 4:58 pm

I thought so but sheesh, I can hardly believe that he can believe this.

I think McGregor landed one decent uppercut and a few solid jabs with neither hurting Mayweather. All his other punches, quick as they were, lacked any sort of power or accuracy. Fair fecks to McGregor, he is a hard nut and took some hits but he was not remotely in the class of Mayweather last night so I cant see how this could be seen as a tough fight for Mayweather...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 5:00 pm

Muscular-mouse wrote:

You can't bring ring rust into this debate because the ring rust argument favours McGregor because he has never been in the ring whilst Mayweather was in the ring 2 years ago.

if you don't understand the point I am making just read the title of the post. Mcgregor on punch stats gave Floyd his toughest fight in recent years. Landed more punches and received less punches than most of floyds recent opponents. You then decided to make up some excuse about Floyd having ring rust even though McGregor has never stepped into the ring before  picard

Show me the punches that McGregor threw that actually had any power behind them or hurt Mayweather...

I suggest you re-watch the fight

picard
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Muscular-mouse Sun 27 Aug 2017, 5:05 pm

eirebilly wrote:
Muscular-mouse wrote:

if you don't understand the point I am making just read the title of the post. Mcgregor on punch stats gave Floyd his toughest fight in recent years. Landed more punches and received less punches than most of floyds recent opponents. You then decided to make up some excuse about Floyd having ring rust even though McGregor has never stepped into the ring before  picard

Show me the punches that McGregor threw that actually had any power behind them or hurt Mayweather...

I suggest you re-watch the fight

picard

Mcgregor a man with NO professional boxing fights goes into the ring against the greatest and he lands more punches and receives less punches than pacquiao, berto, alvarez, guerrero who are all multi weight world champions with years of boxing fights under their belts.

Muscular-mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 5:09 pm

That would be because Mayweather formed a perfect game plan to fight McGregor.

He soaked up the early pressure (no real hits from McGregor) and picked him off at will. He showed great control and economy in seeing off McGregor. He did all he had to do and no more.

I must have missed the fight where McGregor had some stunning punches that rocked Mayweather.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Muscular-mouse Sun 27 Aug 2017, 5:13 pm

Mcgregor a man with NO professional boxing fights goes into the ring against the greatest and he lands more punches and receives less punches than pacquiao, berto, alvarez, guerrero who are all multi weight world champions with years of boxing fights under their belts.

A novice fighter showing up some of boxings' finest

Muscular-mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 5:20 pm

Muscular-mouse wrote:Mcgregor a man with NO professional boxing fights goes into the ring against the greatest and he lands more punches and receives less punches than pacquiao, berto, alvarez, guerrero who are all multi weight world champions with years of boxing fights under their belts.

You refer to your title a lot so what has the above got to do with it?

Just in case your memory is bad "Was Mcgregor the toughtes opponent mayweather has faced? the stats say yes".

It does not read "McGregor with no professional boxing experience shows up former greats by landing more and receiving less punches against Mayweather"

Seriously, cop yourself on. The stats you have said have been refuted and you continue to change the goal posts.

Wont be commenting again, you have amused me though so thanks thumbsup
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Sun 27 Aug 2017, 5:25 pm

This is what happens when people who know nothing about boxing get involved, if Alvarez was to fight Mcgregor, he'd leave him unconscious in minutes.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Muscular-mouse Sun 27 Aug 2017, 5:28 pm

eirebilly wrote:
Muscular-mouse wrote:Mcgregor a man with NO professional boxing fights goes into the ring against the greatest and he lands more punches and receives less punches than pacquiao, berto, alvarez, guerrero who are all multi weight world champions with years of boxing fights under their belts.

You refer to your title a lot so what has the above got to do with it?

Just in case your memory is bad "Was Mcgregor the toughtes opponent mayweather has faced? the stats say yes".

It does not read "McGregor with no professional boxing experience shows up former greats by landing more and receiving less punches against Mayweather"

Seriously, cop yourself on. The stats you have said have been refuted and you continue to change the goal posts.

Wont be commenting again, you have amused me though so thanks thumbsup

none of the stats have been refuted as they actually happened. A novice in his first fight landed more shots against Mayweather than berto, guerrero, pacquiao, alvarez and received less shots. That is an undeniable fact.

Muscular-mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Sun 27 Aug 2017, 5:33 pm

Wow this guy does not understand boxing or punch stats at all.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sun 27 Aug 2017, 6:24 pm

Is McGregor Mayweather's toughest fight, let me think Castillo, De La Hoya, Maidana, Yeh of course he is what's that I can smell LOL.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Sun 27 Aug 2017, 10:35 pm

The reason McG landed more was because Mayweatger was walking through his punches. The stats suggest McG lacked power. Also if he took less shots than Pac, Berto, Cotto and whoever you say then it suggests McG is chinny as none of the others were stopped.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 28 Aug 2017, 12:58 am

Thats stats woud suggest that McGregor did a lot better thn expected from a boxing skills standpoint. It clearly was not Mayweathers toughest fight though. The main area McGregor ended up lacking in was less actual boxing skills and more stamina and conditioning. He has this problem in MMA also. He cuts a lot of weight and tends to look pretty hagard at the weigh ins. During fights he seems to fade considerably after a couple of rounds.

He did pretty well up to the half way point, arguably winning half of those rounds. Once he begain to run out of steam Mayweather capitaised and took over the fight, winning pretty comfortably in the end. I figured McGregor would not have the conditioning to last 12 boxing rounds but I was surprised with the lack of fizz in his punches compared to when he fights in MMA. The action in the fight seemed pretty tame. More like sparring than a full blooded fight. Skills wise McGregor held up pretty well. But way short of the kind of conditioning needed to compete for 12 rounds and seemingly unable to translate his KO power across the two codes (unless he was just unwilling to commit to big shots and was trying to pace himself).

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Basset Mon 28 Aug 2017, 2:05 am

In all fairness I bought into the fight and in the back of my mind I knew Conor wasn't going to do it but as soon as the first Bell went McGregor was so flat footsed

Basset

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Mon 28 Aug 2017, 9:30 am

The thing is boxing and mma are completely different. This is what boxing fans have been trying to say all along.

Conors power just didn't translate to the boxing ring and that's everything to do with technique. The way they fight in mma is totally different, more open guards, less lateral movement etc, they basically just eat shots until someone gets ko'd or it goes to ground.

Look at the Aldo fight, prime example. He basically ran on to a big left hook from Connor - you just won't see such carelessness in elite level boxing.

The two sports are completely different it'd a simple as that. Boxing is specialised and there's a lot more skill to it than meets the eye.

Connor did OK, he didn't look silly for the most part and he went 10 rounds with greatest of a generation so I'm not gonna shout the guy down but to say it was a tough fight for Floyd is just pure fantasy. And to think he was in with a chance of beating Floyd was even further into the realms of fantasy.

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 28 Aug 2017, 11:32 am

Im pretty sure it wasnt only boxing fans, clever as they are, that figured out MMA and boxing were different sports.

From what I witnessed, those backing McGregor were generally people that were big fan and really wanted him to win. That kind of personal support will always cloud better judgment. It helps when you have a supremelly confident guy like McGregor talking up his chances. Wishful thinking more than anything. But for every opinion I read backing McGregor to win, there was a boxing comment saying McGregor wouldnt land a punch and Mayweather would win with his shoelaces tied together and hands tied behind his back. That wasnt the case either.

Stats can always be manipulated to further an opinion, but Im guessing if those stats had been put up before the fight as a predition of how the fight would go then there would have been an awful lot of boxing experts that would have laughed them down as being fantasist. Just as using them to suggest this was Mayweathers toughest fight is fantasist stuff.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Mon 28 Aug 2017, 2:00 pm

Floyd never guarantees knock outs. He guaranteed he'd knock out McGregor. He stopped him. First clear cut stoppage since Hatton after 2 years out at 40. It wasn't his toughest fight, even Berto was tougher as Floyd had to be much more wary of what came back.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Mon 28 Aug 2017, 6:06 pm

This was Mayweathers easiest fight in a long time.

Mayweather is the master at winning 7 rounds, he often gives the opponent the beginning of a fight. He likes to see what the opponent has, before making his adjustments later.

Mayweather had zero respect for Mcgreggors power or skills, evidenced by his insistence on 8oz gloves.

Mayweather wasn't mentally alert, he wasnt switched on. Ge knew Mcgreggor couldnt put punches together in bunches, so walked forward hands high, taking shots, to tire Mcgreggor. I also believe Mayweather wanted to fool the public into believing this was a genuine fight, therefore legitimately counting towards the 50-0 record.

Mcgreggor was zero threat. Mayweather carried him into the later rounds then stopped him in the round he placed a bet on (via his hanger ons). It should be illegal.

In retrospect the fight was a farce. A legitimate one would have finished Mcgreggor off in three rounds.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Nadalnation Mon 28 Aug 2017, 9:03 pm

3fingers wrote: I also believe Mayweather wanted to fool the public into believing this was a genuine fight, therefore legitimately counting towards the 50-0 record.

Mcgreggor was zero threat. Mayweather carried him into the later rounds then stopped him in the round  he placed a bet on (via his hanger ons). It should be illegal.

In retrospect the fight was a farce. A legitimate one would have finished Mcgreggor off in three rounds.

Exactly. Mayweather carried him for a few rds to make it seem like a genuine fight. If Alvarez or Golovkin fought mcgregor with real intent they would spark him out in 2 rds max and he'd be unconscious for a long time.

This was a glorified sparring session. Floyd has enough business to know that if he ended it decisively in a couple of rds EVERYONE would have been pissed and felt cheated.

So mate, OP, stop suckling his nuts and stop deluding yourself. McGregor weren't as bad freddy Flintoff but he looked like what he is - a boxing novice.

Nadalnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Muscular-mouse Mon 28 Aug 2017, 9:51 pm

stop making excuses for Mayweather saying he could have ko'd him whenever he wanted to. The fact is he only did it in round 10 and it wasn't so much a punch that ko'd McGregor but more fatigue as every boxing expert has said.

In 10 rounds a boxing novice in his first pro fight won 3 rounds against the greatest boxer out there and had the most success in terms of punches landed/ received than many other pro boxers Mayweather has faced including berto, alvarez, pacquio, guerrero etc.

Muscular-mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Mon 28 Aug 2017, 10:06 pm

Muscular, most top boxers could win 3-4 rounds at the start against Floyd if their plan was to do that and that alone. Boxers don't fight that way at the top level as they're trying to implement their game plan and they know that other top boxers are highly unlikely to just get blasted out. That was Conors problem, he thought he could blast Floyd with his agression and as such he fought an inefficient way that sapped him. Had he been cautious his skills wouldn't have kept Floyd off so he was in a lose lose fight.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Mon 28 Aug 2017, 10:10 pm

The Champagne_Socialist is strong in this one; Mayweather won at a canter knowing his opponent possessed no actual power.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 28 Aug 2017, 10:16 pm

I think Mayweather waited for McGregor to tire, and moved up a gear when he saw McGregor start to fade. More a strategic boxing plan than a scheme to give the fans some kind of value for money and legitimise the fight. It was his last fight and he has never been bothered about entertaining the fans in the past. Good fighter as Mayweather has been, there is a narrative that once he steps into the ring its signed, sealed and delivered boxing masterclass. If he loses a round, he meant to lose it. If he gets hit with a punch, its because he allowed it. Could he have won the fight inside of three or four rounds if absolutely pressed? More than likely. But he really only took full control when McGregor began to gas and by the end he could scarcely fail to stop a legless McGregor on empty. Had McGregor been able to keep his energy level up I think Mayweather would have been as happy to just pick a points win and his several hundred million whether fans thought it sucked or not. The whole promotion didnt even attempt to disguise that this was just a gigantic money making excercise with as much emphasis on the pre fight entertainment of insult trading, one upmanship and novelty factor than the contest itself.

The result was never really in doubt for me, but so much was made of whether McGregor would even have the basic skills to give it a go that the issue of stamina was somewhat overlooked. He lacked anywehere close to the neccessary boxing fitness which made it an open and shut case even before the issue of boxing ability was a factor. He was better than I expected he would be at the actual boxing bit.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Tue 29 Aug 2017, 6:55 am

MM, Mcgreggor won three rounds, two of which Floyd only threw five punches or so.

Good on Mcteggor for landing some.shots on a guy who was plodding forward without respect. If Mayweather had boxes like that against Canelo or Pacquio they would have landed literally 100's of shots, and.floyyd would.be stretched out the ring.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Muscular-mouse Tue 29 Aug 2017, 7:31 am

3fingers wrote:MM, Mcgreggor won three rounds, two of which Floyd only threw five punches or so.

Good on Mcteggor for landing some.shots on a guy who was plodding forward without respect. If Mayweather had boxes like that against Canelo or Pacquio they would have landed literally 100's of shots, and.floyyd would.be stretched out the ring.

why are you making excuses for a guy who is 49-0? he fought the fight he did and it allowed McGregor to land 111 shots and also McGregor received less punches than alvarez, maidana, berto, guerrero.... so its not just about him plodding forward its also about McGregor being hit less.

Muscular-mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 29 Aug 2017, 9:12 am

In boxing we have a definition of what a landed punch is

I doubt he landed 111 of those

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by smashingstormcrow Tue 29 Aug 2017, 10:31 am

DuransHorse wrote:Muscular, most top boxers could win 3-4 rounds at the start against Floyd if their plan was to do that and that alone. Boxers don't fight that way at the top level as they're trying to implement their game plan and they know that other top boxers are highly unlikely to just get blasted out. That was Conors problem, he thought he could blast Floyd with his agression and as such he fought an inefficient way that sapped him. Had he been cautious his skills wouldn't have kept Floyd off so he was in a lose lose fight.

This is exactly my take on it. Any decent boxer could go in with Floyd and attempt to throw bombs for two rounds.. they might win those rounds but it is never going to win them the fight.

Besides, (clean) punches landed is just one of the criteria fights are judged on... it won't necessarily win you the round unless you're in control.

smashingstormcrow

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Tue 29 Aug 2017, 11:19 am

Why feed the troll?

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 29 Aug 2017, 11:29 am

LionsV2 wrote:Why feed the troll?

He is definitely trolling isn't he? No one can believe that's one of Floyds toughest tests, can they??

Or maybe he is clueless??

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 29 Aug 2017, 11:51 am

Was McGregor the toughest opponent Mayweather has faced? No, not even remotely.

Allow me a little side rant, if you will, but what is it these days with certain boxing fans obsessing over and looking to verify everything through numbers and / or statistics? It's the same kind of numbers obsession which had people saying, with a straight face, that this farce was 'the biggest fight in the history of boxing!'

As I said t'other day, if you go looking hard enough for an angle, you'll find one and statistics are often a wonderful tool for this, no matter how unconvincingly they're recorded or how lacking in context they are.

The idea that McGregor gave Mayweather a tougher fight than any of Maidana, Cotto, De La Hoya, Judah or Castillo is a joke. In the last twelve years Mayweather had previously stopped only two opponents, and one of them was when he had two completely free power shots on an unguarded Ortiz who wasn't paying any attention to what was actually going on. Yet here he was against the 11-years-younger, notably bigger McGregor, walking him down, abandoning his usally more cautious style and rendering his opponent clearly unable to continue.

Mayweather was able to do fight in this manner precisely because he was so in control. Forget punch stats, look with your own two eyes at the scoring criteria of boxing as the fight unfolds; clean punching, effective aggression, defence, ring generalship. It wasn't a sparkling Mayweather performance, but it didn't need to be.

I understand that presenting the fight as if it was vaguely close or competitive is handy in justifying the media circus that has surrounded it, and the astronomical amount of money involved, but come on. No disgrace in McGregor being comprehensively outclassed as that was always what was going to happen unless Floyd had turned sixty overnight, but Mayweather's toughest opponent? Leave it out.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by qc2 Tue 29 Aug 2017, 1:32 pm

what's that saying about arguing with an idiot?

qc2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next