The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs West Indies - test series thread

+24
KO-KING
Hibbz
Corporalhumblebucket
compelling and rich
James100
eirebilly
msp83
LionsV2
Nathaniel Jacobs
JDizzle
KP_fan
Mad for Chelsea
Duty281
Jetty
king_carlos
jimbohammers
dummy_half
Gooseberry
sirfredperry
CaledonianCraig
GSC
VTR
guildfordbat
Good Golly I'm Olly
28 posters

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

England vs West Indies - test series thread - Page 4 Empty England vs West Indies - test series thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 10 Aug 2017, 4:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

So England have announced that the squad for this series will be announced today....will try to update as soon as it comes out!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

England vs West Indies - test series thread - Page 4 Empty Re: England vs West Indies - test series thread

Post by guildfordbat Fri 18 Aug 2017, 2:56 pm

Indeed, it does get confusing, Alfie.

Massive hail storm atm outside my house. Hopefully, it won't reach Edgbaston!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

England vs West Indies - test series thread - Page 4 Empty Re: England vs West Indies - test series thread

Post by alfie Fri 18 Aug 2017, 3:05 pm

Fairly comfortable first hour. 42 from 14 and no scares.

Roadmap probably calls for a speed up after lunch and a declaration at 600 or so as the daylight fades to give the bowlers the best conditions : but I imagine the weather will have something to say about that ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 18 Aug 2017, 3:10 pm

Without wishing to appear uncharitable ; I do think this Joseph chap could be termed a pie thrower...

Checked his history : guess he is only Twenty ; and he has a couple of three-fer efforts against Pakistan. But I'm not sure how he got them on this showing.
Only five matches so maybe they will give him time. But I don't think he will get many more...

Last edited by alfie on Fri 18 Aug 2017, 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 18 Aug 2017, 3:14 pm

Disgraceful bowling from the Windies this afternoon.

They have surrendered cheaply and are merely slinging the ball in a terrible fashion.

1) The umpire should wide a few more deliveries
2) Cook should hang around long enough to best Lara's 400*

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 18 Aug 2017, 3:16 pm

Personally think England should bat until 15/20 overs left in the day (providing there's no rain) - get upto 650-700 if possible...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 18 Aug 2017, 3:23 pm

Malan won't mind. He really needed an innings here to assure himself of some more chances.
This will get him some. And his first fifty clap will help his confidence. Jury will remain out even if he turns this into a hundred but at least it's a start.
I do like the look of his attacking strokes ; but the lack of quality in this attack (for want of a better word) renders the actual strength of his all round game still very much questionable.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 18 Aug 2017, 3:26 pm

You want 700 , Olly ?  Overkill , much ?

Perhaps Cook can go for Lara's record Smile

Think your weather reference is apposite ...they'll want plenty of time to go for the kill when they get bored with batting.

Edit ...I see Duty got there before me with that one ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 18 Aug 2017, 3:37 pm

alfie wrote:You want 700 , Olly ?  Overkill , much ?

Perhaps Cook can go for Lara's record Smile

Think your weather reference is apposite ...they'll want plenty of time to go for the kill when they get bored with batting.

Edit ...I see Duty got there before me with that one ...

Runs wont be easier to come by than when you're 500+...get those extra 100 or so then, and bowl them out twice in a row. Got three days left, no rush to declare
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 18 Aug 2017, 3:42 pm

The fielding from West Indies is utterly disgraceful
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 18 Aug 2017, 3:45 pm

Ah but will they want to bowl twice in a row ? Teams seldom do these days . Usually prefer to bat again even when they could enforce a follow on just to rest the bowlers...

Cook the double hundred - on a misfield. (Couple of overs ago I had this wild fantasy that he would go to his double with a six off the spinner ...ah well...)
Jokes aside : whatever the bowling , this has been a batting master class . Quite a decent scoring rate , chanceless - in command even when conditions were a bit difficult and Roach bowled some good stuff.
That early season form for Essex seems to have been a fair indicator that relinquishing the captaincy has indeed refreshed his batting clap

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 18 Aug 2017, 4:04 pm

Malan gone - to Chase ! On the stroke of lunch...that's what comes of playing for the interval .
He will feel he's given away a free hundred there ; but its a useful marker for him anyway.

And Cook looks imperious . Don't think I will stay up to see his three hundred though. Enjoy the batting display , everyone. Hope you get a full day.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 18 Aug 2017, 4:05 pm

Some turn there for Chase

Should've played the #Cranetrain
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 18 Aug 2017, 4:12 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Some turn there for Chase

Another one for your stable , Olly ? Hope you can keep him running longer than Ansari...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 18 Aug 2017, 4:35 pm

alfie wrote:

Another one for your stable , Olly ?  Hope you can keep him running longer than Ansari...

Considering getting the #BessBus going soon too
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 18 Aug 2017, 4:38 pm

Can't get used to this day/night schedule - was thinking the break was only 20 minutes...

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 18 Aug 2017, 4:41 pm

That bit of spin will excite Moeen for later on in the game.

Perfect platform for Stokes with the bat.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 18 Aug 2017, 4:56 pm

Pathetic West Indies continue to disgrace the game they ones adorned. England should just bat on and on and on. Bat for 3 days, and then should bowl the West Indies out twice in a day and a bit. No point declaring early and losing out on valuable day-night experience. Can do all that in the next games, try finishing in 3 days and earn some extra rest.....

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 18 Aug 2017, 5:02 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
alfie wrote:

Another one for your stable , Olly ?  Hope you can keep him running longer than Ansari...

Considering getting the #BessBus going soon too

Yeah but the BessBus only runs in Taunton! Wink

[Geek note: Somerset's young off spinner Bess has got outstanding CC stats but all his appearances have been in home matches.]

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 18 Aug 2017, 5:29 pm

they will declare for 600 and then bowl out WI for 200ish
juts like the Ind-SL series

cheap & easy runs and yet the 3 new comers at the top of the order couldn't make it count
65 is not enough Malan should have compensated by smacking a 165
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 18 Aug 2017, 5:58 pm

Now for some proper carnage with the ball.

50 all out.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Fri 18 Aug 2017, 6:31 pm

The West Indies have two Hopes in this match........................

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 18 Aug 2017, 8:26 pm

Think they have 3, Kyle, Shai and Rain!

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 19 Aug 2017, 10:25 am

This Windies attack highlights what I said prior to the series and hoping to find a new opener. It is such a feeble attack how can a big score really be rated?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 19 Aug 2017, 11:45 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:This Windies attack highlights what I said prior to the series and hoping to find a new opener. It is such a feeble attack how can a big score really be rated?

Cook/Root gonna be devastated to hear this
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 19 Aug 2017, 12:02 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:This Windies attack highlights what I said prior to the series and hoping to find a new opener. It is such a feeble attack how can a big score really be rated?

Cook/Root gonna be devastated to hear this

They have proven themselves though - the likes of Stoneman, Westley and Malan have not. Like I said Jennings should have been axed after Trent Bridge test and Stoneman tested against a real test attack - after all that is what he will face in Australia not a feeble Windies attack. Malan's sizeable score never matched Root or Cook's knock so sums up where he is at the moment.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 19 Aug 2017, 3:01 pm

Malan didn't exactly prove himself with that innings. But he did get through in difficult conditions late on day one ; and played some nice shots in getting his 65.
It surely earns him a couple more games to show what he can do.

OK I get that West Indies aren't the ideal test for Ashes Tests ; but can't do anything about that . They're here and the players will just have to be judged on how they perform in these matches. You can gets fair idea of a player even against poor opposition ; though I agree it doesn't guarantee he will be able to do the same in tougher circumstances...

Jimmy had a great first hour : TRJ just joined the party and West Indies looking all at sea at 89/5. Could be following on soon...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 19 Aug 2017, 3:10 pm

Hi Alfie - do you think then that Root would plan to enforce the follow on? I'm generally keen to do so but Test captains are far less keen these days.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 19 Aug 2017, 3:17 pm

I think he will today , guildford. (As Toby traps Dowrich to leave them six down)
Resting Anderson and Broad rather early points to it I think ? He's hoping the other bowlers can finish the job and his main pair will still be fresh to start again.

Blackwood resisting (aggressively !) - you have to admire his spirit . But not much support. Holder can bat. But then the hutch door will be open...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 19 Aug 2017, 3:25 pm

Not so sure England will force the follow-on. If they do it will deny the selectors the chance to have another look at England's new to the side batsmen. Will they want to deprive Stoneman, Westley and Malan of more key time at the crease with a chance to fill their boots and lift their confidence and self-belief?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 19 Aug 2017, 3:25 pm

Alfie - yeah, that's probably right. From a rather selfish Surrey perspective, I've been hoping to see Stoneman have another crack.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 19 Aug 2017, 3:43 pm

Yes I'd like to see Stoneman & co have another hit. But it would be a little artificial if the lead is 350 , no ?

Guess it depends really on how long the remaining West Indies wickets resist. Not sure of the weather forecast for Sunday/Monday but Root won't want to miss an opportunity to wrap up a win here.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 19 Aug 2017, 3:44 pm

Fifty for Blackwood clap

Pretty good amongst the carnage.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 19 Aug 2017, 3:48 pm

Good review ! Bairstow was adamant about that.

Holder unhappy ; but can't see what else could have caused the spike on ultra edge ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 19 Aug 2017, 3:48 pm

alfie wrote:Yes I'd like to see Stoneman & co have another hit.  But it would be a little artificial if the lead is 350  , no ?

Guess it depends really on how long the remaining West Indies wickets resist. Not sure of the weather forecast for Sunday/Monday but Root won't want to miss an opportunity to wrap up a win here.

Yes I see your point. I would say, though, that England will win this test whichever way they want. They either enforce the follow-on and win inside perhaps three and a half days or bat again and win inside four days or a little over four days. Ali strikes and seventh wicket falls.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 19 Aug 2017, 3:57 pm

Broad back and takes the eighth...

Will they last to lunch ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 19 Aug 2017, 3:59 pm

Broad takes the 8th wicket. If this is polished off quickly now then I'd expect England to enforce the follow-on.

Just an observation - why do they persist on calling the first break lunch at 4pm in the afternoon? They should call it Tea and call the later break Supper or something.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 19 Aug 2017, 4:03 pm

Top session from England thumbsup

Assuming these last two don't last too long I'd say England will probably send them back in ...might win today .

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 19 Aug 2017, 4:36 pm

Tricky decision for Root whether to enforce the follow-on. The West Indies are more than very likely to fold a 2nd time today itself, and that would give England a couple more days of rest. But if they go in and bat again, there is a chance for the likes of Stoneman, Westly and Malan to score the runs that are available in plenty and perhaps build some confidence going into proper game in the future. However, if the England top order performs as susual and leave things to Root and Cook, or Stokes Bairstow or Ali, there would be absolutely no benefit whatsoever, other than the players building up their overall numbers.
Any possibility that the WI players and their stupid board would have some new tussle and that the club lot would go home mid-way into the series?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 19 Aug 2017, 4:45 pm

Afghanistan, with the likes of Rashid Khan, Mohammed Nabi and Hamid Hasan would have been a sterner challenge. And they surely valued playing test cricket and would have at least tried to make it something like a contest. West Indies has been a complete and utter disappointment with their batting, bowling, fielding, attitude and strategies (if ever there was one).
Zimbabwe and Bangladesh have had their struggles against top sides, but they at least wanted to play, and there was some potential for the future. Bangladesh have evolved into a decent outfit at home, and have had their moments away as well in recent times. Zimbabwe gave Sri Lanka a proper run for their money recently, and had their moments against sides like Pakistan.
There is absolutely no hope about this West Indies team. Perhaps that's why they are playing the 2 Hopes in their team. Michael Holding on commentary, observed that Jason Holder as captain has it tough as he doesn't really have the quality material to work with. But more importantly, he observed that Holder, over the last 2 years, has not improved as a cricketer, with either ball or bat. Can't help but agree, and also add that the latter part wouldapply to the entire team as such.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Sat 19 Aug 2017, 5:24 pm

Yh agreed, Afghanistan would have put in more effort

Bangladesh are just better now and Zimbabwe put in more effort when they can put together a team

I would much rather have watched, England vs Bangladesh or even Afghanistan than this

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 19 Aug 2017, 5:30 pm

Plenty of overs left; England could win this tonight.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by wisden Sat 19 Aug 2017, 5:37 pm

should be over tonight..Brathwaite needs to do what he does best and dig in....can Blackwood adapt and play defensively as well as attacking, he will need to show that side of his game here too..

wisden

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sat 19 Aug 2017, 6:45 pm

The Windies are now literally Hope-less

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by wisden Sat 19 Aug 2017, 6:59 pm

64-3 , Ben Stokes bowling much better 2nd time around, showing good control, hard to see windies even batting out today

wisden

Back to top Go down

Post by wisden Sat 19 Aug 2017, 7:15 pm

Moeen strikes on the stroke of tea, 4 down

wisden

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sat 19 Aug 2017, 8:08 pm

7 down, this will be over the today, 19 wickets in a day. Despite being an England supporter I am not really enjoying this. Far too easy and the tour should be called off now

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 19 Aug 2017, 8:28 pm

The West Indies continue to embarrass. They should really go home! The WICB and WIPA are never there when you need them!!

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 19 Aug 2017, 8:30 pm

They should try forcing Holding out of retirement. Shiv Chanderpaul is playing some county cricket somewhere in England right? Is Ambrose still with the coaching staff?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Sat 19 Aug 2017, 8:58 pm

MSP

Curtley is in the commentary box. It's coming to something when you think that Ambrose could improve the batting never mind the bowling Wink

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 19 Aug 2017, 9:06 pm

That was dreadful.

The happy memories prompted earlier by Dummy's post on the other thread just make me feel so sad tonight.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next