The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Champions & Challenge Cup finals to be held in Spain

+7
Cyril
Luckless Pedestrian
marty2086
tigertattie
Senlac
SecretFly
Eejit
11 posters

Go down

Champions & Challenge Cup finals to be held in Spain Empty Champions & Challenge Cup finals to be held in Spain

Post by Eejit Mon 03 Apr 2017, 8:07 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39479673

Looks a cracking stadium. Bilbao 2018 looks like a great weekend

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Champions & Challenge Cup finals to be held in Spain Empty Re: Champions & Challenge Cup finals to be held in Spain

Post by SecretFly Mon 03 Apr 2017, 8:25 pm

Hmmm... I was going to say the organisers will have their work cut out for them getting two sides into the final that will fill that... but I did my wiki stuff and it holds only 53,000. It looks much bigger in that photo from the BBC site.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Champions & Challenge Cup finals to be held in Spain Empty Re: Champions & Challenge Cup finals to be held in Spain

Post by Eejit Mon 03 Apr 2017, 8:42 pm

Dare I say it may attract the neutral fan easier than Edinburgh will.

Sunshine and cervezas infinitely more appealing than the Scott Monument and that ugly parliament.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by Senlac Tue 04 Apr 2017, 10:39 am

And hopefully far enough away from Gibraltar to avoid the Great British Brexit Bombing
Senlac
Senlac

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 04 Apr 2017, 10:55 am

The Spanish could be doing their own 'bombing' - Bilbao is in Basque country.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Senlac Tue 04 Apr 2017, 2:00 pm

Of course, when Britain starts making a fool of itself, defend it by slandering other countries...how very British!
Senlac
Senlac

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 04 Apr 2017, 2:15 pm

Senlac wrote:Of course, when Britain starts making a fool of itself, defend it by slandering other countries...how very British!

Libel not slander!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Apr 2017, 2:43 pm

Senlac wrote:Of course, when Britain starts making a fool of itself, defend it by slandering other countries...how very British!

Who's British? SecretFly?! Oh boy!

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed 05 Apr 2017, 12:50 pm

Maybe we'll see a Spanish team make their first final

Tumbleweed

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 05 Apr 2017, 3:53 pm

It looks like a beautiful city.

They drink kalimotxo in Bilbao. I've tried that. Far too drinkable.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 05 Apr 2017, 3:58 pm

Isn't this a bit of a kick in the teeth for Italy who have had the hosting plucked out of their grasp on an occasion or two?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 05 Apr 2017, 4:09 pm

Cyril wrote:Isn't this a bit of a kick in the teeth for Italy who have had the hosting plucked out of their grasp on an occasion or two?

It is. But sure aren't the Italians used to getting kicked in the teeth at this stage? If they didn't get kicked in the teeth they might be induced to bring forth a lawsuit that might ruin the EPCR.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 05 Apr 2017, 4:11 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Cyril wrote:Isn't this a bit of a kick in the teeth for Italy who have had the hosting plucked out of their grasp on an occasion or two?

It is.  But sure aren't the Italians used to getting kicked in the teeth at this stage?  If they didn't get kicked in the teeth they might be induced to bring forth a lawsuit that might ruin the EPCR.
The Pro12 kicked their molars out first though. The EPCR are just sweeping up the enamel.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 05 Apr 2017, 4:15 pm

Laugh

Cyril... you're a delicious cad at times OK

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 06 Apr 2017, 7:08 am

Jaysus. Bilbao one year, Newcastle the next.

So they're going for the biggest meteorological and cultural contrasts year to year as they possibly can then?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Thu 06 Apr 2017, 8:31 am

So they're going for the biggest meteorological and cultural contrasts year to year as they possibly can then?

So Bilbao has bad weather and nobody likes to party?

How Sad.
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 06 Apr 2017, 9:09 am

TrailApe wrote:

So Bilbao has bad weather and nobody likes to party?

How Sad.
That's it exactly. You cannot get a decent bottle of Brown in Bilbao.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 06 Apr 2017, 9:19 am

Which Italian city bid for it?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 06 Apr 2017, 12:14 pm

marty2086 wrote:

Milan (San Siro). It all got caught up in the cross-over from Heineken to Champions Cup in 14/15 and it went to HQ (the safe option, I guess, given the turmoil over negotiations). I think Stade was the other bid.

You would have thought Italy would have been considered the next time they went outside of the Home Nations or France?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 06 Apr 2017, 12:21 pm

I think the Pro 12 will be happy with the Spanish choice, its one of the places that was talked about expanding into.
They had a big crowd for last years local cup final, the Top 14 final and some H-cup games in the past. This could be a nice tester to see if there is the support for a Pro 12 team, and would certainly generate intrest to make it more viable.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 06 Apr 2017, 12:24 pm

Cyril wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

Milan (San Siro). It all got caught up in the cross-over from Heineken to Champions Cup in 14/15 and it went to HQ (the safe option, I guess, given the turmoil over negotiations). I think Stade was the other bid.

You would have thought Italy would have been considered the next time they went outside of the Home Nations or France?

2014/15 isn't this season, did any Italian cities bid this season?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 06 Apr 2017, 12:25 pm

Kingshu wrote:I think the Pro 12 will be happy with the Spanish choice, its one of the places that was talked about expanding into.
They had a big crowd for last years local cup final, the Top 14 final and some H-cup games in the past. This could be a nice tester to see if there is the support for a Pro 12 team, and would certainly generate intrest to make it more viable.

They were all in Basque country too weren' they?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 06 Apr 2017, 12:27 pm

Last edited by Luckless Pedestrian on Thu 06 Apr 2017, 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forget I said anything.)

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 06 Apr 2017, 12:28 pm

marty2086 wrote:
Cyril wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

Oh, I didn't realise you meant this season! I'm not aware of who bid this season.

My point was more that European rugby (EPCR, Pro12 etc) seems to be wooing Spain while Italian rugby is on its knees. That's business though, I guess.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 06 Apr 2017, 12:33 pm

From wiki
There are over 51,123 registered rugby union players in Spain, with more than 220 clubs across the country.

The rugby club Biarritz Olympique, who come from the French Basque Country have played Heineken Cup matches at the 32,000-seat Estadio Anoeta in San Sebastián, Spain and attracted sell-out crowds.

On 17 April 2016, in what is considered by many a milestone in the increasing popularity of rugby in Spain, a crowd of 26,500 attended to the Copa del Rey de Rugby final at Estadio Nuevo José Zorrilla in Valladolid. This was the 6th time that this stadium was sold out since its inauguration in 1982, including football matches

Top 14 final in Camp Nou, Barcelona attracted 99,124

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 06 Apr 2017, 12:37 pm

Cyril wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
Cyril wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

Oh, I didn't realise you meant this season! I'm not aware of who bid this season.

My point was more that European rugby (EPCR, Pro12 etc) seems to be wooing Spain while Italian rugby is on its knees. That's business though, I guess.

How?

If the Italians didn't bid then what is expected to happen? You can't have people make bids then hand it to someone who didn't

As you said though it's a business, the bid that makes the best business case will get the games

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 06 Apr 2017, 12:39 pm

marty2086 wrote:
Cyril wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
Cyril wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

How?

If the Italians didn't bid then what is expected to happen? You can't have people make bids then hand it to someone who didn't

As you said though it's a business, the bid that makes the best business case will get the games
Yes, I realise that. I think we were at crossed purposes OK

I doubt the Spanish bid had the best business case (otherwise it would be England or France hosting every year). This looks like a 'growing the game' option.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 06 Apr 2017, 12:50 pm

Cyril wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
Cyril wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
Cyril wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

How?

I doubt the Spanish bid had the best business case (otherwise it would be England or France hosting every year). This looks like a 'growing the game' option.

Why would England or France win the bids every year?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 06 Apr 2017, 12:54 pm

marty2086 wrote:
Cyril wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
Cyril wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
Cyril wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

How?

We're getting off topic now Very Happy You know the reasons why so let's not de-rail the thread, eh? OK

I just think that Spain is now the new flavour of the month.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 06 Apr 2017, 1:01 pm

Cyril wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
Cyril wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
Cyril wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
Cyril wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

How?

We're getting off topic now Very Happy You know the reasons why so let's not de-rail the thread, eh? OK

I just think that Spain is now the new flavour of the month.

No actually I really don't know why hence the question.

Part of the Spanish business case would likely include the growth of the game which is an added advantage for the Spanish bid and the future of ECPR

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 06 Apr 2017, 1:16 pm

There was a Spanish team in the 2012–13 European Challenge Cup and the next near had to withdraw and were replaced by a Portuguese team Lusitanos XV

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 06 Apr 2017, 1:39 pm

Im buzzing that we have it for 2019!!

Great work by the team. The World Cup here was a MASSIVE success, and im sure we'll put on a great show for the Cup finals aswell!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down