The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lemieux Vs Stevens - SPOILERS

+9
Atila
Dylan1979
Baby faced assassin
catchweight
Hammersmith harrier
Derbymanc
Jermaine2015
BoxingFan88
mobilemaster8
13 posters

Go down

Lemieux Vs Stevens - SPOILERS Empty Lemieux Vs Stevens - SPOILERS

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 12 Mar 2017, 9:31 am

Anybody watch this last night? Was ana absolute slugfest. Really enjoyable fight with Stevens being knocked out cold...Literally...In 3 rounds.

Taken out on a stretcher...All OK now mind which is the main thing.

But MAN...Did Lemiuex really Frak punish him tonight.

Big fan of David...Decent boxer...Superb power....And seems a genuinely nice guy outside the ring.

Where does he go now though?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Lemieux Vs Stevens - SPOILERS Empty Re: Lemieux Vs Stevens - SPOILERS

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 12 Mar 2017, 10:09 am

Great fight was an absolute war for 3 rounds

Thought Stevens was just getting into it after the fast start from lemieux then bam

Ko of the year contender for sure

Hope Stevens is OK

Think lemieux is number 3 in the division behind Jacobs and ggg

Stevens will still give anyone else in the top 10 all they can handle though

Will golden boy risk canelo? Doubt it

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Sun 12 Mar 2017, 10:53 am

Sensational KO by Lemieux. I don't think he should go for a second bout with GGG. But Lemieux/Alvarez/GGG all lining up to take Saunders' belt.

Last edited by Jermaine2015 on Sun 12 Mar 2017, 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sun 12 Mar 2017, 11:20 am

Jermaine2015 wrote:Sensational KO by Lemieux. I don't think he should go for a second bout with GGG. But Lemieux/Alvarez/Lemieux all lining up to take Saunders' belt.

Holy Moley, someone save this, Jermain has given credit :-).

Is it just me or does boxing seem to be picking up again? I know we're still going to have the usual crappy bouts but we seem to be getting some decent bouts this year

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Sun 12 Mar 2017, 11:48 am

Think it's better for boxing when bouts finish with a KO/TKO tbh. No reason to dispute the decision.

Just look at the fight in Germany last night, Andrade dominated Culkay yet one of the blind judges scored it a draw. Embarrassing

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 12 Mar 2017, 11:55 am

Jermaine2015 wrote:Think it's better for boxing when bouts finish with a KO/TKO tbh. No reason to dispute the decision.

Just look at the fight in Germany last night, Andrade dominated Culkay yet one of the blind judges scored it a draw. Embarrassing

He's only a paper champion anyway so who cares, most reports of the fight suggests it was largely competitive.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Sun 12 Mar 2017, 12:04 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
Jermaine2015 wrote:Think it's better for boxing when bouts finish with a KO/TKO tbh. No reason to dispute the decision.

He's only a paper champion anyway so who cares, most reports of the fight suggests it was largely competitive.
Andrade won the first four rounds easy. The switched off. Culkay is just a pressure fighter. No real plan b. He made in competitive but he was no way near winning the fight.

I've got no opinion on these WBA regular joke belts

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 12 Mar 2017, 12:05 pm

Jermaine2015 wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:

Andrade won the first four rounds easy. The  switched off. Culkay is just a pressure fighter. No real plan b. He made in competitive but he was no way near winning the fight.

I've got no opinion on these WBA regular joke belts

You do have an opinion on them Gerry, you're very vocal about regular champions being bums when they're English.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 12 Mar 2017, 12:11 pm

Cracking 3 round fight between Stevens and Lemieux. I knew that fight would deliver.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Sun 12 Mar 2017, 8:47 pm

Lemieux is limited but man can he punch

Thing is apart from GGG there isn't a boxer Lemieux can't best....he just has the power to mow anyone at 160

Think Canelo will be looking at Lemieux after chavez..... that's a winnable fight for Lemieux, Canelo is hittable and it'll be a great fight
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dylan1979 Sun 12 Mar 2017, 9:34 pm

Baby faced assassin wrote:Lemieux is limited but man can he punch

Thing is apart from GGG there isn't a boxer Lemieux can't best....he just has the power to mow anyone at 160

Think Canelo will be looking at Lemieux after chavez..... that's a winnable fight for Lemieux, Canelo is hittable and it'll be a great fight

Great fight, shame I didn't back the 'under' or the Lem KO as I'd originally planned to, oh well.

Lemieux seems to have a lot more focus on his career right now, maybe that's down to the change he made
with his team not long ago, who knows.

As for Lemieux v Nelo, not sure if it's a fight Canelo will jump at. Got a feeling Oscar won't be too keen on making it happen either. Be great if it did though, I think David stops him.

Dylan1979

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sun 12 Mar 2017, 11:31 pm

Wow, read that Lemieux rehydrated to 177lbs and Stevens to 170lbs for a middleweight fight. Too much I think. No way should they be allowed to weigh more than the division weight limit above.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 13 Mar 2017, 7:35 am

What's stopping boxing from bringing in a rule that you can't rehydrate above the weight limit above?

Rehydration is essential it's safer for the brain so personally I'm not for a return of same day weigh ins but surely it would be a better sport with caps

A 10lb cap would be ok then you'd always have the fighters weighing approx the same weight what's stopping this from happening I wonder?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 13 Mar 2017, 8:53 am

Herman Jaeger wrote:What's stopping boxing from bringing in a rule that you can't rehydrate above the weight limit above?

Rehydration is essential it's safer for the brain so personally I'm not for a return of same day weigh ins but surely it would be a better sport with caps

A 10lb cap would be ok then you'd always have the fighters weighing approx the same weight what's stopping this from happening I wonder?

Why not weigh in on the day of the fight fully hydrated to save the 10 lb cap? Weight could be controlled in the lead up rather than afterwards.

Brutal KO from Lemieux. What does it say about Golovkin's chin that he went in with both and grinned at them?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Mon 13 Mar 2017, 10:34 am

Think it should be controlled, but as mentioned it is technically healthier than boxers who've destroyed themselves getting down to the weight on the day of the fight

Think maybe a % of your body weight could be allowed e.g 10% so middleweights cant weigh above 176 or featherweights above 138

10% might be a bit high but you get the idea
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 13 Mar 2017, 10:41 am

hazharrison wrote:
Herman Jaeger wrote:What's stopping boxing from bringing in a rule that you can't rehydrate above the weight limit above?

Why not weigh in on the day of the fight fully hydrated to save the 10 lb cap? Weight could be controlled in the lead up rather than afterwards.

Brutal KO from Lemieux. What does it say about Golovkin's chin that he went in with both and grinned at them?

It tells us he is a beast! GGG is a monster at 160, no matter what competition he has faced. Nobody can dispute that, including me!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 13 Mar 2017, 8:10 pm

He'll end up having to pound a few of these guys again - like Hagler had to with the likes of Hamsho and Obelmijias.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 13 Mar 2017, 10:05 pm

I would prefer they went to same day weigh ins which would really shake up the weight classes.

The day before weigh ins was a good theory but I dont think they ever envisaged how messed up it would become. Its led to fudging across the weight classes and absurdities all over the place by incentivising extreme weight cutting.

A guy like Canelo weighs a healthy 190lbs outside of fight camp. Trains down to 170lbs to get in fighting shapes and then a day or two before the weigh in strips himself aother 15/16lbs of water in order to fight at a 154 or 155lb limit. Totally nuts.

There are enough weight classes in boxing now that there should be no need for extreme weight cutting and boxers fighting dehydrated.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 14 Mar 2017, 12:40 pm

I agree about Canelo. No doubt he walks around near 14 stone. He is a very thick set build.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 14 Mar 2017, 10:36 pm

I like Lemieux. He's not a bad boxer, but his power is a great leveller. He can be very exciting to watch too. I know boxing can be all about the art of hitting without getting hit, but give me knockouts of the type Lemieux showed on Saturday over the technical brilliance of Ward & Mayweather any day. Clever and efficient they may be, but exciting they are not.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Dylan1979 Tue 14 Mar 2017, 10:42 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:I like Lemieux. He's not a bad boxer, but his power is a great leveller. He can be very exciting to watch too. I know boxing can be all about the art of hitting without getting hit, but give me knockouts of the type Lemieux showed on Saturday over the technical brilliance of Ward & Mayweather any day. Clever and efficient they may be, but exciting they are not.

Hear, hear!

Dylan1979

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down