The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland v England The Grand Slam

+23
TrailApe
munkian
BigTrevsbigmac
whocares
Recwatcher16
Engine#4
eirebilly
Gooseberry
wolfball
Rugby Fan
westisbest
englandglory4ever
Steve_rugby
poissonrouge
majesticimperialman
The Great Aukster
Pot Hale
geoff999rugby
SecretFly
lostinwales
Rory_Gallagher
Scottrf
Geen sport voor watjes
27 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ireland v England The Grand Slam - Page 2 Empty Ireland v England The Grand Slam

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Sat 11 Mar 2017, 9:57 pm

First topic message reminder :

As an Ireland fan I would like to move quickly onto next weeks Grand Slam decider. England rightly are 6nations champions by a mile. This is the coup de grace for England to win back to back Grand Slams and the world record for 19 wins on the trot.

For Ireland other than the possibility of ruining the party there isn't much to play for so with that in mind I would like to put forward a proposed Irish team for next Saturday.

15 Rob Kearney (deserves another chance)
14 Adam Byrne (why not
13 Ringrose (Still improving)
12 Henshaw
11 D Kearney (Good at resourcing rucks)
10 Sexton
9 Marmion (Murray needs a rest)
8 Heaslip (best No.8 in the world bar none)
7 SOB (best converted No.8 in the world)
6 Conan or Leavy (POM and CJ need a rest and these guys are great)
5 Toner
4 Someone from Leinster
3 Furlong
2 Best if he wants to but otherwise someone from Leinster
1 Healy/McGrath

Subs - Anyone from Leinster and their mother or even the ball boy who threw the ball at Nige.

Why the Leinster bias you might ask...well its clear they are by far the best team in Ireland with the best players and play the way Joe likes...winning rugby. Secondly it doesn't matter a damn whether we win or lose next Saturday. Lastly its going to be physical and with the upcoming European Championship games I would like to ensure that the Leinster players are well toned for their game against Wasps....nothing to do with ensuring the Munster lads are not put in harms way....

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Ireland v England The Grand Slam - Page 2 Empty Re: Ireland v England The Grand Slam

Post by munkian Tue 14 Mar 2017, 8:29 am

I think its harsh to say a lot of the irish team didnt turn up - they were just outplayed by Wales.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Ireland v England The Grand Slam - Page 2 Empty Re: Ireland v England The Grand Slam

Post by TrailApe Tue 14 Mar 2017, 8:38 am

I do love the comments from the England players as they desperately try to find something to say to hype the Ireland side as they look to "create history" (c) Eddie Jones 'My Book of Favourite Sayings' 3rd edition.

Ooh the bitterness oozing out - did the naughty English upset you somehow this 6N?
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Tue 14 Mar 2017, 9:37 am

munkian wrote:I think its harsh to say a lot of the irish team didnt turn up - they were just outplayed by Wales.

Somebody said Heaslip played last week? Don't remember seeing him on the pitch.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 14 Mar 2017, 9:50 am

englandglory4ever wrote:
munkian wrote:I think its harsh to say a lot of the irish team didnt turn up - they were just outplayed by Wales.

That's nothing new when the other forwards aren't on top - hes a flat track bully and a show pony.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue 14 Mar 2017, 9:59 am

TrailApe wrote:
I do love the comments from the England players as they desperately try to find something to say to hype the Ireland side as they look to "create history" (c) Eddie Jones 'My Book of Favourite Sayings' 3rd edition.

Ooh the bitterness oozing out - did the naughty English upset you somehow this 6N?

Bitterness? No - it's funny, TA. Where's your sense of humour gone - you normally have one?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 14 Mar 2017, 10:50 am

englandglory4ever wrote:

Alas, short term memory is the first thing to go.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 14 Mar 2017, 10:52 am

englandglory4ever wrote:

He was the fella with the white boots and blonde highlights.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Tue 14 Mar 2017, 10:54 am

rodders wrote:
englandglory4ever wrote:

Oh that was Heaslip! The one who did not very much.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 14 Mar 2017, 10:56 am

englandglory4ever wrote:
rodders wrote:
englandglory4ever wrote:

Oh that was Heaslip! The one who did not very much.

He sleeps in an O2 tent so sometime struggles at sea level.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 14 Mar 2017, 11:17 am

Better than having O2 and other stuff injected into your ass I suppose..... Whistle

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 14 Mar 2017, 11:19 am

munkian wrote:
englandglory4ever wrote:

That's nothing new when the other forwards aren't on top - hes a flat track bully and a show pony.

You won Munk. Smile. It's Tuesday. You must be over the rush-of-blood to the head by now.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 14 Mar 2017, 11:28 am

SecretFly wrote:
munkian wrote:
englandglory4ever wrote:

You won Munk.  Smile.  It's Tuesday.  You must be over the rush-of-blood to the head by now.

What's that got to do with Heaslip being a luxury player ? Are you saying hes in a fine run of form or a go to player when you are under the cosh ?

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue 14 Mar 2017, 11:31 am

I have to say, I thought Heaslip was particularly ineffective. He repeatedly took the ball into heavy traffic and got flattened, and never seemed to vary his play. Maybe it was a tactic, but I thought Ireland's attack just got slowed as a result.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 14 Mar 2017, 11:35 am

munkian wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
munkian wrote:
englandglory4ever wrote:

You won Munk.  Smile.  It's Tuesday.  You must be over the rush-of-blood to the head by now.

What's that got to do with Heaslip being a luxury player ? Are you saying hes in a fine run of form or a go to player when you are under the cosh ?

I'm saying you sound like you have stomach upset since that fine win at the weekend. Maybe just a release of pent-up tension/hate. But some valium and maybe a Rennie or two might cool the mind by tomorrow.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidsnowman Tue 14 Mar 2017, 11:40 am

Munkian wrote:What's that got to do with Heaslip being a luxury player ? Are you saying hes in a fine run of form or a go to player when you are under the cosh ?

Don't even know why I'm rising to this..

Heaslip was fantastic during the autumn internationals in particular when Ireland beat the All Blacks.

He has 95 Ireland caps, 5 lions caps and has the following trophy haul:

3 heineken cups
3 pro 12 titles
1 European challenge cup
3 six nations titles (including 1 grand slam)

also as an individual
nominated for World player of the year twice
nominated for European player of the year four times

Not bad for a luxury player.

Sometimes he has a quiet/bad game.

You have been off on one since Wales beat Ireland - enjoy the win - leave out the bitter stuff.

rapidsnowman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 14 Mar 2017, 11:44 am

rapidsnowman wrote:
Munkian wrote:What's that got to do with Heaslip being a luxury player ? Are you saying hes in a fine run of form or a go to player when you are under the cosh ?

Don't even know why I'm rising to this..

Heaslip was fantastic during the autumn internationals in particular when Ireland beat the All Blacks.

He has 95 Ireland caps, 5 lions caps and has the following trophy haul:

3 heineken cups
3 pro 12 titles
1 European challenge cup
3 six nations titles (including 1 grand slam)

also as an individual
nominated for World player of the year twice
nominated for European player of the year four times

Not bad for a luxury player.

Sometimes he has a quiet/bad game.

You have been off on one since Wales beat Ireland - enjoy the win - leave out the bitter stuff.

I really haven't. And how is it bitter ? We won.

Its an impressive list of achievements but hes hardly been tearing up trees lately has he ?

Nice avoidance of both my question btw
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 14 Mar 2017, 11:50 am

munkian wrote:

Its an impressive list of achievements but hes hardly been tearing up trees lately has he ?

Well yeah, he has.... except for against Wales at home.  He had a bad game.  Didn't your great old warrior Captain, AWJ, have a few bad games this 6N?  It happens.  Hartley - probable Lions captain - knows how it goes too.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 14 Mar 2017, 11:55 am

SecretFly wrote:
munkian wrote:

Well yeah, he has.... except for against Wales at home.  He had a bad game.  Didn't your great old warrior Captain, AWJ, have a few bad games this 6N?  It happens.  Hartley - probable Lions captain - knows how it goes too.

Ok, so any critique of Irish players is only allowed by a select committee of impartial judges, got it.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidsnowman Tue 14 Mar 2017, 11:57 am

Yes Wales won and deservedly so. On many of threads since you never miss an opportunity to have a dig at an Irish player. Maybe I am imagining it - but I don't think so.

Your questions?
Is he a luxury player?
No I don't think he is. He get s through a massive amount of work and is never substituted - never stops running (except when he hits a Welsh wall of course).

Are you saying he's in a fine run of form or a go to player when you are under the cosh ?
He didn't do well against Wales but then who did? Many Irish fans would like to see Stander at 8 and POM at 6 to see how that went. I wouldn't argue. Heaslip has been a great servant to Irish rugby but maybe the time is right for a changing of the guard/. Having said that he could have a stormer against England.

rapidsnowman

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 14 Mar 2017, 11:59 am

munkian wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
munkian wrote:

Ok, so any critique of Irish players is only allowed by a select committee of impartial judges, got it.

You can say what the hell you like, Munk. And I'll respond in kind by saying you released a lot of inner tension at the weekend. It's nice to be loved Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 14 Mar 2017, 12:08 pm

Is the definition of a luxury player one who only gets slagged off when you lose?

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 14 Mar 2017, 12:09 pm

Heaslip hasn't done particularly well in the 6 nations either this year or last year. Just like Best he didn't perform well enough vs Scotland or Wales.

Perhaps England at home, can reignite the fire for both.

Heaslip is capable of playing well just needs to find some form.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 14 Mar 2017, 12:12 pm

beshocked wrote:Heaslip hasn't done particularly well in the 6 nations either this year or last year. Just like Best he didn't perform well enough vs Scotland or Wales.

Perhaps England at home, can reignite the fire for both.

Heaslip is capable of playing well just needs to find some form.

He got World Rugby try of the year from last years 6 nations. But yeah I guess scoring is seen as an uneccessaryluxury by this Ireland team on evidence of the last game.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 14 Mar 2017, 12:15 pm

Gooseberry 2 tries vs Italy.... Italy aren't exactly the benchmark in NH rugby are they?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 14 Mar 2017, 12:25 pm

beshocked wrote:Gooseberry 2 tries vs Italy.... Italy aren't exactly the benchmark in NH rugby are they?

try telling that to Chris Ashton....

Look I only bought it up to make a cheap crack at Ireland.

We agree hes a class player, his record speaks for itself ..inclduing his try scoring record which for a forward is pretty good. Couple of quiet games doesnt change that, although hes looking more shaky for a Lions spot than he wouldve done 3 months ago.

I wouldnt write him off from having a significant influence of the England game though.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 14 Mar 2017, 12:29 pm

Gooseberry wrote:Is the definition of a luxury player one who only gets slagged off when you lose?

Well Heaslip then again doesn't qualify. He gets slagged off 24-7, regardless of form. Oh well, they'll all be saying lovely things about him at his funeral.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 14 Mar 2017, 12:50 pm

Gooseberry it's not just a couple of quiet games, he didn't have a particularly good 6 nations last year either.

A brace vs Italy doesn't change that.

Doesn't mean Heaslip can't turn things around though.

Secretfly not true, if Heaslip plays well I'll give him credit, he's just been a bit overhyped. He got nominated for player of the year last year, for the AIs, not his 6 nations performances.

If Heaslip doesn't play well vs England he might well not tour with the Lions.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 14 Mar 2017, 1:11 pm

rapidsnowman wrote:Yes Wales won and deservedly so. On many of threads since you never miss an opportunity to have a dig at an Irish player. Maybe I am imagining it - but I don't think so.

Your questions?
Is he a luxury player?
No I don't think he is. He get s through a massive amount of work and is never substituted - never stops running (except when he hits a Welsh wall of course).

Are you saying he's in a fine run of form or a go to player when you are under the cosh ?
He didn't do well against Wales but then who did? Many Irish fans would like to see Stander at 8 and POM at 6 to see how that went. I wouldn't argue. Heaslip has been a great servant to Irish rugby but maybe the time is right for a changing of the guard/. Having said that he could have a stormer against England.

I think Stander had a fine game against Wales but was succesfully marked by Warburton and Tips all game without SOB or Heaslip backing him up.

If you aren't imagining it Im sure its fairly easy to go back through the threads and quote where I have been unjustifiably harsh on any particular players.

Whilst you are there you can see where I congratulated Ireland on a fantastic match and wished them luck against England.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 14 Mar 2017, 1:35 pm

beshocked wrote:Gooseberry it's not just a couple of quiet games, he didn't have a particularly good 6 nations last year either.

Secretfly not true, if Heaslip plays well I'll give him credit, he's just been a bit overhyped. He got nominated for player of the year last year, for the AIs, not his 6 nations performances.

I'm not concerned about the Lions and I'm not talking about you, shocked.  Talking about mostly my fellow countrymen.  Heaslip never gets such great press over here, even when he is playing great - and nope, when he's on form he's not over-hyped - he's largely often overlooked as other more 'sexy' fan-choice players often get the kudos instead of him.

He has bad games yes.... just as other players around him have bad games.  But his form has been great in the last year or so and when he leaves Irish fans will realise how much of himself he gave to the cause.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 14 Mar 2017, 1:55 pm

SecretFly wrote:Better than having O2 and other stuff injected into your ass I suppose..... Whistle

Yeah I hear that stuff can make you do odd things like tackle the posts and refer to yourself in the 3rd person.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue 14 Mar 2017, 5:34 pm

beshocked wrote:Gooseberry it's not just a couple of quiet games, he didn't have a particularly good 6 nations last year either.

How do you know that he got nominated for the AIs and not the Six Nations or June test series?

I only ask because the nominations were for test matches played from Six Nations up to 5th November.  So it can't have just been the AIs since only one AI test had been played.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Tue 14 Mar 2017, 9:51 pm

Bitterness? No - it's funny, TA. Where's your sense of humour gone - you normally have one?

My profound apologies - written in a rush.

I ballsed up and thought you were Welsh.

I abases myself before thee and implore forgiveness.
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue 14 Mar 2017, 9:59 pm

TrailApe wrote:

My profound apologies - written in a rush.

I ballsed up and thought you were Welsh.

I abases myself before thee and implore forgiveness.

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2