The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow Warriors v Munster, 2 December

+13
Rory_Gallagher
A Simply Mesmeric Try
eirebilly
Bind up
EST
jimbopip
RDW
cakeordeath
demosthenes
MacKnocked-on
funnyExiledScot
BigGee
George Carlin
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Munster, 2 December Empty Glasgow Warriors v Munster, 2 December

Post by George Carlin Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:30 pm

Glasgow Warriors v Munster, 2 December Glasgo10            Glasgow Warriors v Munster, 2 December Munste10
Glasgow Warriors v Munster Rugby
Friday 2 December 2016
KO 19:35
Scotstoun Stadium

Live on BBC Alba and TG4

Referee: Nigel Owens (WRU, 142nd competition game)
Assistant Referees: Dan Jones (WRU), Dunx McClement (SRU)
Citing Commissioner: Paul Minto (SRU)
TMO: Jon Mason (WRU)

A. Head to Head

28 Played 28
11 Wins 16
16 Losses 11
1 Draws 1
566 Points 639

B. Form

Sat 22 October 2016
Munster Rugby 38 -  17 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 19 February 2016
Glasgow Warriors 27 - 24 Munster Rugby

Sat 30 May 2015
Munster Rugby 13 - 31 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 28 February 2015
Munster Rugby 22 - 10 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 20 December 2014
Glasgow Warriors 21 - 18 Munster Rugby

C. Teams

Glasgow Warriors 
Glasgow Warriors v Munster, 2 December Chick_10
Peter Murchie, Rory Hughes, Nick Grigg, Mark Bennett, Tommy Seymour, Peter Horne, Ali Price; Gordon Reid, Fraser Brown, Sila Puafisi, Tim Swinson, Rob Harley, Josh Strauss, Chris Fusaro, Ryan Wilson (capt).

Replacements: Corey Flynn, Alex Allan, D'arcy Rae, Rob McAlpine, Langilangi Haupeakui, Nemia Kenatale, Rory Clegg, Lee Jones.

Munster Rugby
Glasgow Warriors v Munster, 2 December Terryw10
Andrew Conway; Darren Sweetnam, Jaco Taute, Rory Scannell, Ronan O'Mahony; Ian Keatley, Duncan Williams; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Billy Holland; Peter O'Mahony (capt), Tommy O'Donnell, Jack O'Donoghue.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, Thomas du Toit, Stephen Archer, Donnacha Ryan, Robin Copeland, Te Aihe Toma, Dan Goggin, Alex Wootton.

Last edited by George Carlin on Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Munster, 2 December Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors v Munster, 2 December

Post by BigGee Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:07 pm

Hard to see Hoggy, Johnny G, Zander, Dunbar or Finn playing this week. The rest of the internationalists should be back though, so we should have a stronger team than last weekend.

God knows we need a better performance though and we really need to see some sort of reaction from the team. It will set them up nicely for the Euros if we can produce this week. Glasgow have always prided themselves with being able to eck something out of these international periods with our back up teams, but it did not go that way this time. Two very dissapointing performances and also the memory of that last game against Munster.

It won't be easy though as Munster are on some sort of a roll at the moment. They are in danger of becomming our nemisis this season.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Munster, 2 December Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors v Munster, 2 December

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:17 pm

Tough fixture this. Is Earls going to be playing? He'll get a warm reception.

There should be a few returning players: Brown, Allan, Swinson, Harley, Strauss, Price, Horne, Hughes and Seymour spring to mind, potentially Favaro as well. Glasgow sorely need these guys back. Last weekend was possibly the worst I've seen from Glasgow since the pre-Lineen days.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:18 pm

I should also have added MOTM Ryan Wilson.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:23 pm

I don't think that Toonie will be able to rest anyone - I think that we'll see a full international side put out.

If Glasgow loses yet another home game, their whole season is at risk of de-railing.

We'll know from Toonie's selection whether or not he has chosen to comprehensively abandon the league campaign in preference to trying to do something in Europe this year. We now know that the squad is not strong enough to make a meaningful play for both this season.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:24 pm

Wilson only played 2 games, so hopefully will be back as well. Favaro played in all 3 for Italy, so i think he will get a rest and come back for the Euros. Fusaro is back now, so there is a bit of cover there now.

It might be better for Earls if he did not play, as he still seems to be full of bile about the sending off and he might well do something stupid again. His antics don't seem to have gone down that well in the rest of Ireland, there was an article in one of the Irish papers calling him out about it and most of the comments on it where not very favourable towards him. We don't really need this hanging over the match, it has left a bad taste.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:29 pm

George Carlin wrote:I don't think that Toonie will be able to rest anyone - I think that we'll see a full international side put out.

If Glasgow loses yet another home game, their whole season is at risk of de-railing.

We'll know from Toonie's selection whether or not he has chosen to comprehensively abandon the league campaign in preference to trying to do something in Europe this year. We now know that the squad is not strong enough to make a meaningful play for both this season.

His hands may well be tied and the SRU may give some guidance on who can play. To be fair, I think all the internationalists who played all three games should have a week off. That is a selling point of playing for a Scottish club that you will be well managed. If he was to play them next week, then they would have to sit out one of the Euro games, both of which we have a chance of winning.

The league is going to be a lot tighter this year. I am not suggesting we throw this game, by any stretch of the imagination, but our season won't be over if we don't win it either. What we need is a much better performance, it is not the losing of the last two games that bothers me, so much as the way we lost them.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:38 pm

BigGee wrote:
George Carlin wrote:I don't think that Toonie will be able to rest anyone - I think that we'll see a full international side put out.

His hands may well be tied and the SRU may give some guidance on who can play. To be fair, I think all the internationalists who played all three games should have a week off. That is a selling point of playing for a Scottish club that you will be well managed. If he was to play them next week, then they would have to sit out one of the Euro games, both of which we have a chance of winning.

The league is going to be a lot tighter this year. I am not suggesting we throw this game, by any stretch of the imagination, but our season won't be over if we don't win it either. What we need is a much better performance, it is not the losing of the last two games that bothers me, so much as the way we lost them.

Agreed. You only need to scrape into the play-offs and peak at the right time. Finishing top of the pile with points to spare doesn't mean an awful lot once the play-offs get underway.

Toonie will surely focus on the Euros to the extent he's given the choice. He has unfinished business there, and surely Fagerson, J Gray, Russell, Dunbar and Hogg at the very least need a week off.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:08 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
BigGee wrote:

Agreed. You only need to scrape into the play-offs and peak at the right time. Finishing top of the pile with points to spare doesn't mean an awful lot once the play-offs get underway.
I have already pretty much assumed that this is not a problem which we'll have to contend with.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:18 pm

Despite the result did anyone play well in last week's loss?

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:24 pm

MacKnocked-on wrote:Despite the result did anyone play well in last week's loss?

Big Brian was playing well before he was sent off, which I thought was a really tough one, he did make contact but not with any force or intent and was binding on as he did so. It was a case of playing to the letter of the law, not the spirit. George Horne looked lively when he came on and the new young prop, Adam Nicol had a decent showing. Nick Grigg was the pick of backs but that is picking at straws really. It was a poor performance all round.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:04 pm

Agreed on Big Brian - he was having a decent game. I could see him forming a handy partnership with Jonny Gray.

The new number 8 looked technically poor when he came off the bench, as you would expect with his pedigree. He's obviously used to just running into people and smashing them out of the way, but at this level body positioning and how you carry the ball is fundamental. He has a lot to learn.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:36 pm

When is the disciplinary hearing for Big Brian?

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:56 pm

demosthenes wrote:When is the disciplinary hearing for Big Brian?

Most likely tomorrow, and more than likely a 3 week ban reduced to 2 for Keith Earls type remorse

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:13 am

cakeordeath wrote:

Most likely tomorrow, and more than likely a 3 week ban reduced to 2 for Keith Earls type remorse

Except in his case it might be genuine!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:18 am

BigGee wrote:
cakeordeath wrote:

Thanks. I wonder if we will contest it, or just go for damage limitation?

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:01 am

demosthenes wrote:
BigGee wrote:
cakeordeath wrote:

Thanks.  I wonder if we will contest it, or just go for damage limitation?

Best not to contest I would have thought. He should weep openly at the hearing, and then blame the Ospreys player afterwards on social media for deliberately getting his head in the way in a calculated act of gamesmanship.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:58 pm

Large Brian suspended for one week.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:36 pm

15. Peter Murchie (107)
14. Rory Hughes (23)
13. Nick Grigg (7)
12. Mark Bennett (57)
11. Tommy Seymour (90)
10. Peter Horne (105)
9. Ali Price (30)

1. Gordon Reid (102)
2. Fraser Brown (54)
3. Sila Puafisi (30)
4. Tim Swinson (85)
5. Rob Harley (145)
6. Josh Strauss (97)
7. Chris Fusaro (112)
8. Ryan Wilson (118) CAPTAIN

Replacements

16. Corey Flynn (7)
17. Alex Allan (33)
18. D'arcy Rae (12)
19. Rob McAlpine (3)
20. Langilangi Haupeakui (3)
21. Nemia Kenatale (0)
22. Rory Clegg (12)
23. Lee Jones (40)

10 international players back, but some key men rested.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:51 pm

Well probably much as expected for Glasgow. All the internationalist who played 3 games, get a rest and will be back for the euros next weekend.

It is a much stronger team than last week and will need to step up against what will be a strong a confident Munster side.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:54 pm

That is probably the smallest midfield 10,12,13 in professional rugby history!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:29 am

Well, it's not a bad XV. Front and back row are solid. Bluto-Batman-Fozzie, lots of in your face there. Rob Harley will be a line out option and will tackle himself to a standstill, but he's not 750 minutes! But who is?
There's plenty of pace in the backs but it's probably the first time we'll ever have seen a professional side where both wingers dwarf both centres.
The real concern is on the bench. After the O's game certain sections of the Scotstoun crowd were all for passing the hat round in order to finance a third class ticket back to Kiwi-a-go-go land for Mr Flynn. Rory Clegg rated only a ba' hair higher in their esteem.
Kenetale? Rob McAlpine?? Hear that sound? That's Toonie scraping the bottom of the Tombola-barrel.
The one thing that jumps out from this selection is the number of rested players; Simone, Jonny, Fagerson, Dunbar, Hogg, Very Naughty Boy, Dancer who will probably be eating croissants in a boulevard café soon. Toonie has obviously decided which tournament is his main priority this season.
Predictions? Bonus point win for the Warriors, with angel MOTM.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:08 am

jimbopip wrote:Well, it's not a bad XV. Front and back row are solid. Bluto-Batman-Fozzie, lots of in your face there. Rob Harley will be a line out option and will tackle himself to a standstill, but he's not 750 minutes! But who is?
There's plenty of pace in the backs but it's probably the first time we'll ever have seen a professional side where both wingers dwarf both centres.
The real concern is on the bench. After the O's game certain sections of the Scotstoun crowd were all for passing the hat round in order to finance a third class ticket back to Kiwi-a-go-go land for Mr Flynn. Rory Clegg rated only a ba' hair higher in their esteem.
Kenetale? Rob McAlpine?? Hear that sound? That's Toonie scraping the bottom of the Tombola-barrel.
The one thing that jumps out from this selection is the number of rested players; Simone, Jonny, Fagerson, Dunbar, Hogg, Very Naughty Boy, Dancer who will probably be eating croissants in a boulevard café soon. Toonie has obviously decided which tournament is his main priority this season.
Predictions? Bonus point win for the Warriors, with angel MOTM.

That's the spirit!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:15 pm

Unfortunately I can only see a heavy loss for Glasgow.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:26 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:That is probably the smallest midfield 10,12,13 in professional rugby history!

Smallest lock combination as well, and a back row with Fusaro at 7 and Wilson at 8 is hardly pulling down trees either.

Still, as Mrs fES constantly reassures me, size isn't everything.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:31 pm

I think there's an important role to play for Rory Hughes in that back line. Someone is going to need to offer a direct crash ball option and he looks the likely candidate. They will need to use him well.

Impact options off the bench look scant. If there's a solid definition of an "impact sub" to be found then Lee Jones is the opposite of it, Rob McAlpine looked a bit spindly last time I saw him play and the "Human Locomotive" has next to no technical skills whatsoever based on evidence thus far.

Glasgow are heavily dependent on Munster not showing up here. Munster need to extend the same courtesy to Glasgow as Ulster did to Edinburgh a couple of weeks back (i.e. play like complete strangers for 70 minutes).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:41 pm

Jaco Taute is going to be hurtling headlong into Horne/Bennett/Grigg all day long. I can't see that team getting a result here, Munster are on a bit of a roll and Glasgow, well....aren't.

I'm with you fES on the American 8, I don't buy the 'he's big argument'', so is virtually every south sea island back row player. He's not quite in the Jarred Firth category of bad signings, but he's not far away.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:16 am

EST wrote:

I'm with you fES on the American 8, I don't buy the 'he's big argument'', so is virtually every south sea island back row player.  He's not quite in the Jarred Firth category of bad signings, but he's not far away.

You are being a bit harsh on him, he has had three games off the bench, one of which he was sent off very dubiously and unfortunately for him.

The game was lost when he came on last week and he tried to force it. He was not the reason we lost the game!

He deserves a fair crack, I don't think you can be that judgemental yet. He has got something about him and is undoubtedly explosive, but it is a question of whether he can learn to channel it properly at this level.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bind up Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:38 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Glasgow are heavily dependent on Munster not showing up here. Munster need to extend the same courtesy to Glasgow as Ulster did to Edinburgh a couple of weeks back (i.e. play like complete strangers for 70 minutes).

Always a possibility. Half-backs are possibly Munster's weakest point. Williams has definitely improved the last two seasons but isn't pulling up trees. I think Keatley has gone backwards.

Would be a great result for Munster's play off hopes if we win this. Don't see it though. Surely Glasgow will be up for this after the Ospreys & Champ Cup games.

Bind up

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:45 am

Bind up wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Always a possibility. Half-backs are possibly Munster's weakest point. Williams has definitely improved the last two seasons but isn't pulling up trees. I think Keatley has gone backwards.

Would be a great result for Munster's play off hopes if we win this. Don't see it though. Surely Glasgow will be up for this after the Ospreys & Champ Cup games.

Glasgow will be motivated and up for it, and Toonie will be asking for a reaction, but I'm just not sure that the Glasgow team is as good as the Munster team. The Glasgow collective will be strong though, and the workrate from that pack should be massive. I just think that Glasgow lack the class in the backs and the power in the forwards to really own this game. Plus the bench is weak.

Hope I'm wrong!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:50 am

BigGee wrote:
EST wrote:

I'm with you fES on the American 8, I don't buy the 'he's big argument'', so is virtually every south sea island back row player.  He's not quite in the Jarred Firth category of bad signings, but he's not far away.

You are being a bit harsh on him, he has had three games off the bench, one of which he was sent off very dubiously and unfortunately for him.

The game was lost when he came on last week and he tried to force it. He was not the reason we lost the game!

He deserves a fair crack, I don't think you can be that judgemental yet. He has got something about him and is undoubtedly explosive, but it is a question of whether he can learn to channel it properly at this level.

Perhaps, BigGee. I don't have anything against him as a player, I just don't see why Glasgow brought somebody over, who from the evidence I have seen thus far, needs 1-2 years of pro experience to reach the heights Glasgow require. He is big and fast and does have the physical potential to be good, but he is a long way off the required standard just now.

I would also add that Glasgow's recent history in signing American players has not been positive - neither Carlin Isles and Folau Niua lasted a very long time.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:57 am

Just on the Glasgow number 8 jersey, how long is Adam Ashe out for? He'd have been extremely handy during this period.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Bind up Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:58 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Bind up wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Glasgow will be motivated and up for it, and Toonie will be asking for a reaction, but I'm just not sure that the Glasgow team is as good as the Munster team. The Glasgow collective will be strong though, and the workrate from that pack should be massive. I just think that Glasgow lack the class in the backs and the power in the forwards to really own this game. Plus the bench is weak.

Hope I'm wrong!

Being honest I know next to nothing about the players on the Glasgow bench.

Either way will be a close game I imagine. Actually quite looking forward to it. This is the start to run of 7/8 big games for Munster. Will be the real barometer to Erasmus's influence.

Bind up

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:05 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Just on the Glasgow number 8 jersey, how long is Adam Ashe out for? He'd have been extremely handy during this period.

I'm not sure fES, you're right though - he is just the standard of player you want to be playing during the AI period - not quite international standard, but better than most of the competition.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:09 am

According to Sky Sports and BBC he's out for the "rest of the year" after hip surgery.

I can think of a couple of low impact fixtures around the turn of the year that would be ideal for a comeback.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:13 am

That should fine, Nasi Manu should be out with his bi-monthly injury just around that time. I'll be happy to see the behemoth that is Jamie Ritchie fill the void.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:21 am

I actually think I've seen a bit of progress from Ritchie this season, and I like him at 7 where he does less ball carrying into contact. He works nicely with Bradbury at 6.

Manu starts again this evening, so we can assume that he'll be injured by Christmas. It's CDP we need back.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:30 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:I actually think I've seen a bit of progress from Ritchie this season, and I like him at 7 where he does less ball carrying into contact. He works nicely with Bradbury at 6.

Manu starts again this evening, so we can assume that he'll be injured by Christmas. It's CDP we need back.

True, he has made more of an impact of late. He still needs to fill out, and cut out the almost constant arm waving at the referee at ruck time (it's almost Kellock-esque), but he does seem to be showing signs of why the SRU fast tracked him. I assumed we would see CDP this week, hope whatever is keeping him back isn't serious.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:55 am

What's most worrying about CDP is that he's not even listed as injured - so what is keeping him out!

Apologies to the great unwashed for talking about Edinburgh on their thread...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:19 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:What's most worrying about CDP is that he's not even listed as injured - so what is keeping him out!

Don't apologise. This is like being upgraded from economy to first class for them.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:37 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:What's most worrying about CDP is that he's not even listed as injured - so what is keeping him out!

Don't apologise. This is like being upgraded from economy to first class for them.

I presume that you mean we are suddenly surrounded by braying toffs talking nonsense? Correct.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:42 am

George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

I presume that you mean we are suddenly surrounded by braying toffs talking nonsense? Correct.

Rather a case of social climbers trying to bask in the reflected glory of a team that has a realistic chance of winning the league (again).

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:30 am

Solid side from Munster. If Munster were at home I would say they would win but away to Glasgow, I think the Glasgow will have a little too much. Good to see Bennett back.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:50 am

Glasgow's defence is very questionable so far. Good try for Munster.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:02 am

That's us Frak then. Clegg is on

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:06 am

I wonder what the penalty count for Munster is now

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:07 am

cakeordeath wrote:I wonder what the penalty count for Munster is now

They are on a final warning.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:08 am

And there is the YC. Stupid from Munster.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:15 am

I thought Hughes got scragged by the collar when in the air

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:19 am

Glasgow simply look a side seriously lacking in confidence.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next