The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blackwell hospitalised again

+8
hazharrison
Hammersmith harrier
TRUSSMAN66
BoxingFan88
wheelchair1991
Herman Jaeger
AdamT
catchweight
12 posters

Go down

Blackwell hospitalised again Empty Blackwell hospitalised again

Post by catchweight Sun 27 Nov 2016, 6:06 pm

Apparently nick blackwell went back sparring and was hospitalised requiring brain surgery again. Crazy to think he would risk it and that someone would allow him to spar.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Blackwell hospitalised again Empty Re: Blackwell hospitalised again

Post by AdamT Sun 27 Nov 2016, 6:14 pm

Yes read that yesterday. Hope it's nothing too serious and he stays away this time.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 27 Nov 2016, 6:20 pm

Silly boy hope this teaches him a lesson once and for all it's over!

Just opened a gym, punditry work for life if he wants it(likeable character) got plenty to enjoy and keep himself occupied with

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 27 Nov 2016, 6:20 pm

Whoever invited him for the spar needs to have a seriously long look at themselves

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 27 Nov 2016, 6:21 pm

Just read the brain surgery part

Jeez didn't realise that, hope he's ok

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 27 Nov 2016, 6:55 pm

Man I hate seeing things like this, wishing him a full and speedy recovery!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 27 Nov 2016, 6:59 pm

The bbbc will be investigating. Whoever the boxer and trainer that got him in sparring are could be in hot water.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 27 Nov 2016, 7:24 pm

catchweight wrote:The bbbc will be investigating. Whoever the boxer and trainer that got him in sparring are could be in hot water.

So they should be

Sparring is just as dangerous!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 27 Nov 2016, 9:30 pm

Blackwell has been saying he's finding life without Boxing devastating.......My guess is nobody got him to do anything but that he asked to be allowed to spar and the trainer probably had a weak moment.....

Boxing was his life....A lot of sportsmen get depressed when they retire.....Struggling without their first or second passion in life..

Think this is just a tragic episode and hope it will be handled sensitively...

Thoughts with the family and Blackwell.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 28 Nov 2016, 9:15 am

That is a good point. I love lifting weights and running as a hobby. If I had an injury, where I was advised not to train, I would find it very hard to stay away.

Considering that boxing is more than a mere hobby for Blackwell. It's his whole life. He has probably been boxing all his life and it was also his source of income.

He misses it.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 28 Nov 2016, 9:27 am

In that situation you're in complete control of what you do and the risk is entirely yours, this is completely different and abhorrent of those involved to let it happen.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 28 Nov 2016, 9:30 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:In that situation you're in complete control of what you do and the risk is entirely yours, this is completely different and abhorrent of those involved to let it happen.

I get that too. It shouldn't of been allowed. I was merely sating why Blackwell would still want to do it. F****ng stupid though.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 28 Nov 2016, 9:33 am

Whichever coach was involved should be thrown out of the sport (if they were aware it was Nick, rather than his brother Dan, sparring).

Just to point out: Gary Lockett wasn't involved in any way.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 28 Nov 2016, 9:42 am

Whilst I'm hoping he gets better and there's no lasting damage he really should be thinking about his family. He knows the damage it could do and would be surprised if he hasn't been told he can't get in the ring even for that. Whover was sparring with him and whoever let him in the ring (although if he was training with him and the lad it would have been his choice) should be hauled over the coals a bit

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 28 Nov 2016, 10:50 am

Unless Blackwell's ban pertains to sparring as well.. (Which it won't)

You can't take away the Trainer's licence..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 28 Nov 2016, 11:12 am

It depends what happened - we don't know yet (and might never know).

I saw Blackwell at a card in Belfast a few weeks back. He looked really well and healthy. His family must be in bits over this. I didn't realise he'd suffered further swelling on his brain. That's horrific.

Regardless who was at fault, it also drags the sport through the mud again - which sucks.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 28 Nov 2016, 11:21 am

echoing most of the comments above. I also feel sorry for they guy he was sparring with - I would imagine it wasn't his idea.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 28 Nov 2016, 11:45 am

Derbymanc wrote:Whilst I'm hoping he gets better and there's no lasting damage he really should be thinking about his family. He knows the damage it could do and would be surprised if he hasn't been told he can't get in the ring even for that. Whover was sparring with him and whoever let him in the ring (although if he was training with him and the lad it would have been his choice) should be hauled over the coals a bit

You should know all about patterns of behaviour...........

Maybe he is addicted to Boxing the same way people are to gambling, alcohol, drugs etc.........People hurt their families in all kinds of ways.....

He is in his prime...He works in a gym......Must be like an ex-alcoholic working in a bar.......

Probably pleaded to spar and the Trainer felt sorry for him...Had a weak moment....

People are human beings..........Things aren't always black and white.....We don't always have a perpetrator and victim....

Think sensitivity and common sense need to be used here..

The older you get the more grey you see in areas that were previously black and white..

Thankfully so..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 28 Nov 2016, 11:57 am

It's a really tough one Truss, as from my own experience you know some people just want to get back in there and he'll have known himself, the skill is still there, the desire and heart. Unfortunately you've got to use your head and you need to think about your family as if something does happen it's them that will bear the brunt of it.

It's a really sad situation and if i'm honest I flip from wanting to throttle Blackwell for being so stupid but then I can quite understand why he'd do it.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 28 Nov 2016, 1:06 pm

Derbymanc wrote:It's a really tough one Truss, as from my own experience you know some people just want to get back in there and he'll have known himself, the skill is still there, the desire and heart. Unfortunately you've got to use your head and you need to think about your family as if something does happen it's them that will bear the brunt of it..

Too simplistic.....

If Boxing is your life you want to box...

If you're an alcoholic you want to drink...

Don't think anybody goes out of there way to hurt their family.....They can't help themselves......Inner demons etc..

As for the trainer's part.......I lost my sister to alcohol years ago and have supported priory care over the years.......Yet a few years ago when I was in an off licence and an obvious transient alcoholic left all upset because he didn't have enough money to buy drink...When I left the shop I felt so bad for him I called him over and gave him money...and he went back in..

I should know better than anybody it was the wrong thing to do....But I had a weak moment..

Life can be complicated........People shouldn't rush to judgement.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 28 Nov 2016, 1:16 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Derbymanc wrote:It's a really tough one Truss, as from my own experience you know some people just want to get back in there and he'll have known himself, the skill is still there, the desire and heart. Unfortunately you've got to use your head and you need to think about your family as if something does happen it's them that will bear the brunt of it..

Too simplistic.....

If Boxing is your life you want to box...

If you're an alcoholic you want to drink...

Don't think anybody goes out of there way to hurt their family.....They can't help themselves......Inner demons etc..

As for the trainer's part.......I lost my sister to alcohol years ago and have supported priory care over the years.......Yet a few years ago when I was in an off licence and an obvious transient alcoholic left all upset because he didn't have enough money to buy drink...When I left the shop I felt so bad for him I called him over and gave him money...and he went back in..

I should know better than anybody it was the wrong thing to do....But I had a weak moment..

Life can be complicated........People shouldn't rush to judgement.

Sorry to hear about your sister. I have had family and friends die due to alcohol and drug abuse. It's a cruel illness and has ruined many a good person.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 12 Dec 2016, 11:06 am

...trainer and sparring partner involved both suspended

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/38286568

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Mon 12 Dec 2016, 4:28 pm

Is there any news on Blackwell, or indeed Gutnecht? haven't seen anything in the press.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 12 Dec 2016, 4:45 pm

Last i heard Gutknecht has been moved to Germany still in a coma

Blackwell no idea but Hasan Karkadi & Liam Wilkins were suspended by the BBBC

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 23 Dec 2016, 7:57 pm

Blackwell has awakened from the coma he is in. Apparently the medics only gave him a 50/50 shot of regaining conciousness. He has had to have a section of his skull removed and still remains to be seen as whether he will make a full recovery.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down