The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blackwell - Should be a wake up call for the industry !!

5 posters

Go down

Blackwell - Should be a wake up call for the industry !! Empty Blackwell - Should be a wake up call for the industry !!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 1 May 2016 - 8:19

It's all hypothetical but I believe had Murray been stopped or pulled out against Golovkin a couple of rounds before he did he'd probably be WBO 168 champion...Let's face it like Blackwell the result was never in question and a brave warrior saw months if not years taken off his career...Reminded me of Rosario v Chavez...

Not blaming referees or the corners.....Boxing is certainly not as brutal as it was 60 yrs ago...And.It's a judgement call and coaches and referees rightfully realise that earning potential goes down with every defeat and victory can change a fighters lives...Giving a fighter what they think is every chance....Besides one never thinks objectively when analysing someone we care about..

However most Referees seem loathe to stop fighters unless they are staggering about and corners seem loathe to pull there man out...

When it comes to Boxing I prefer the saying "Live to fight another day" to "Where there's life there is hope"..

Blackwell was unlucky...His corner was unlucky...the referee was unlucky...99 percent of the industry would have acted the same...

Maybe its time for it to change...Fighters can retrain if it doesn't work out...life is full of second chances....

But not if you're in a coma..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Blackwell - Should be a wake up call for the industry !! Empty Re: Blackwell - Should be a wake up call for the industry !!

Post by hazharrison Sun 1 May 2016 - 8:21

Didn't you once call Benn gutless for staying on his stool when it was plain he was shot and taking punishment from Collins?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Blackwell - Should be a wake up call for the industry !! Empty Re: Blackwell - Should be a wake up call for the industry !!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 1 May 2016 - 8:29

He hadn't been hardly touched....Looked like a one last payday snatch and grab...

Bit of a difference to Chavez v Rosario..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 1 May 2016 - 9:48

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:He hadn't been hardly touched....Looked like a one last payday snatch and grab...

Bit of a difference to Chavez v Rosario..

He was shot to pieces and could have been left permanently hurt fighting on in that shape. So the moralising all seems a bit rich.

Didn't you also rave about Taylor being allowed to carry on against Chavez when one final punch could have left him seriously hurt (regardless of whether Chavez had time to deliver it)?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 1 May 2016 - 9:58

I raved that Steele saw the flashing lights behind him and stopped the fight knowing Taylor couldn't be hurt anymore and that his examination was lightning fast because he was itching to stop it before the bell went..

2-0... Cool ..

Joking aside...Collins v Benn was a competitive fight...I'm talking about batterings..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 1 May 2016 - 10:50

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I raved that Steele saw the flashing lights behind him and stopped the fight knowing Taylor couldn't be hurt anymore and that his examination was lightning fast because he was itching to stop it before the bell went..

2-0... Cool ..

Joking aside...Collins v Benn was a competitive fight...I'm talking about batterings..

Steele was criticised for NOT seeing the flashing lights. It was a fair stoppage - Taylor was completely gone.

If anyone should be criticised it should be Taylor's corner - who told him he needed the last round. They should have told him to get on his bike.

This was also a battering - despite the fact Taylor was winning rounds. Chavez beat the living daylights out of Taylor, who was never the same again.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 1 May 2016 - 10:59

Steele definitely saw the lights, I think it was a fair stoppage but he used that as an excuse to try and take some heat off him in the aftermath, he was uncharacteristically panicky in administering the count.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 1 May 2016 - 11:05

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Steele definitely saw the lights, I think it was a fair stoppage but he used that as an excuse to try and take some heat off him in the aftermath, he was uncharacteristically panicky in administering the count.

Also,if you focus on chavez in the neutral corner staring down Taylor he lifts his hands before steel ends the fight. He knew Taylor hadn't responded and steel would have to stop the fight.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 1 May 2016 - 11:09

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Steele definitely saw the lights, I think it was a fair stoppage but he used that as an excuse to try and take some heat off him in the aftermath, he was uncharacteristically panicky in administering the count.

Video contradicts the fact that Steele "definitely saw the lights". Steele was looking directly at Taylor and the ringside official he'd picked up the count from. e was actually criticised for NOT seeing the red light in the corner behind Taylor.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 1 May 2016 - 11:18

There is no way he doesn't see the red light directly behind Taylor, you have peripheral vision so he would have noticed it.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 1 May 2016 - 11:18

He had a habit of favoring King fighters...Poor old Bruno v Tyson....Punched on the floor...elbowed..butted......Tyson v Ruddock. .

Perhaps he should have stopped Meldrick...But the examination was quicker than usual...and there was only two seconds left...

Hearns was half dead against Barkley and he let it go..

It stunk !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 1 May 2016 - 11:21

Hammersmith harrier wrote:There is no way he doesn't see the red light directly behind Taylor, you have peripheral vision so he would have noticed it.

Watch the video - he doesn't see it. He was criticised for not doing so in the aftermath.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 1 May 2016 - 11:22

I've seen it multiple times and I do not believe he fails to see it, it is directly behind Taylor; being criticised for it is no proof at all, it was nothing more than an excuse by a referee who knew he'd potentially screwed up.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 1 May 2016 - 11:24

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:He had a habit of favoring King fighters...Poor old Bruno v Tyson....Punched on the floor...elbowed..butted......Tyson v Ruddock. .

Perhaps he should have stopped Meldrick...But the examination was quicker than usual...and there was only two seconds left...

Hearns was half dead against Barkley and he let it go..

It stunk !!

It was terribly hard luck on Taylor (one of my all time faves) but Steele made the right call. It would have been reprehensible to have allowed Chavez one more shot at him.

Hearns probably got the benefit of the doubt because he was Hearns and Bruno broke the rules just as much as Tyson in that first fight. He almost constantly held with one hand and punched with the other, as well as a landing his fair share of rabbit punches.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 1 May 2016 - 11:27

Didn't make the right call....He knew the fight was over and rushed his examination..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 1 May 2016 - 11:27

Hammersmith harrier wrote:I've seen it multiple times and I do not believe he fails to see it, it is directly behind Taylor; being criticised for it is no proof at all, it was nothing more than an excuse by a referee who knew he'd potentially screwed up.

He is fixated on Taylor and the ringside official throughout the count - that's clear from the video.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 1 May 2016 - 11:29

I'm currently fixated on a picture on my wall but can still see my Television is on just like Steele with have seen the flashing light, it's complete BS to suggest he couldn't see it.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 1 May 2016 - 11:30

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Didn't make the right call....He knew the fight was over and rushed his examination..

So it was an opportunistic move from Steele? By that was handy.

Steele did his job. Taylor was completely gone and Steele's job was to stop the fight. Yeah it sucked for Taylor but it wasn't for Steele to check how long was left in the round before making his call.

Better to remember he fight in my view. It was the fight of the decade and both men were great that night.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 1 May 2016 - 11:31

Depends whether or not Taylor head is in the way or not. If your picture was in front of the tv I doubt you'd be able to see the tv

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 1 May 2016 - 11:35

Oh do me a favor....

Remember before Tyson v Bruno...Bruno's camp trying to get Steele removed for his close ties with King and they rightly called him a disgrace afterwards..

That was before Chavez v Taylor

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 1 May 2016 - 11:38

It's called peripheral vision so it is comparable.

Bless having to resort to the usual Hopkins jibes, your parents must be so proud of you.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 1 May 2016 - 11:38

HAZ WTF

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 1 May 2016 - 11:38

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Oh do me a favor....

Remember before Tyson v Bruno...Bruno's camp trying to get Steele removed for his close ties with King and they rightly called him a disgrace afterwards..

That was before Chavez v Taylor

Watch the fight back and tell me who breaks the rules most often:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NktfvqUpn9g

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 1 May 2016 - 11:42

Lights would have been flashing for 8 seconds...

Anyone can make a mistake though...Certainly didn't make too many when working for Arum or King in favor of the outsider..

Hearns was Arum's pride and joy.....He'd been doing all the promotion for Hagler-Hearns...

Remember Steele nearly getting Hagler stopped on cuts when he was killing Hearns....Gave Hearns every chance against Barkley too...

But like I said anyone can make a mistake..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 1 May 2016 - 11:47

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Lights would have been flashing for 8 seconds...

Anyone can make a mistake though...Certainly didn't make too many when working for Arum or King in favor of the outsider..

Hearns was Arum's pride and joy.....He'd been doing all the promotion for Hagler-Hearns...

Remember Steele nearly getting Hagler stopped on cuts when he was killing Hearns....Gave Hearns every chance against Barkley too...

But like I said anyone can make a mistake..

So he was a homer for Arum and King? Come off it.

I thought he was a very good referee.

Arum promoted both Hagler AND Hearns.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 1 May 2016 - 12:01

I'll be honest if Mills Lane had stopped it....Wouldn't be as much of an issue...

I don't buy the stoppage.....He was all over Mel like a rash..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 1 May 2016 - 12:17

I think fights in this country tend to get stopped too early (for my liking) in general. But the quality of refereeing and judging over here is poor. We seem to have four or five referees/judges who consistently turn out bad cards, performances and judgement calls without any repurcussions. The "better to stop too early than too late" is easy to hide behind for bad decisions.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down