The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland v Canada and New Zealand x2

+18
Pot Hale
Sin é
rodders
brennomac
GunsGerms
mikey_dragon
wolfball
profitius
Maine man
carpet baboon
Rory_Gallagher
Golden
Artful_Dodger
SecretFly
Geen sport voor watjes
rapidsnowman
Notch
the-goon
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ireland v Canada and New Zealand x2 - Page 2 Empty Ireland v Canada and New Zealand x2

Post by the-goon Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

Happy for additional info, formatting,etc to be added by mods.

Here is the squad for the Canada game.

Ireland squad v Canada

Niyi Adeolukun (Connacht)*
Finlay Bealham (Buccaneers/Connacht)
Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) Captain
Joey Carbery (Clontarf/Leinster)
Sean Cronin (St Mary’s College/Leinster)
Ultan Dillane (Galway Corinthians/Connacht)
Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
Tadgh Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster)
Craig Gilroy (Bangor/Ulster)
Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
Jamie Heaslip (Dublin University/Leinster) vc
Iain Henderson (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Leinster)
Billy Holland (Cork Constitution/Munster)*
Paddy Jackson (Dungannon/Ulster)
Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster)
Dan Leavy (UCD/Leinster)*
Kieran Marmion (Buccaneers/Connacht)
Luke Marshall (Ballymena/Ulster)
Jack McGrath (St Mary’s College/Leinster)
Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster)*
Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster)
Sean O’Brien (UCD/Leinster)
Jack O’Donoghue (UL Bohemians/Munster)*
Tiernan O’Halloran (Buccaneers/Connacht)
Peter O’Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Jared Payne (Ulster)
Garry Ringrose (UCD/Leinster)*
Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
John Ryan (Cork Constitution/Munster)*
Jonathan Sexton (St Marys/Leinster)
CJ Stander (Munster)
Darren Sweetnam (Cork Constitution/Munster)*
Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster)
James Tracy (UCD/Leinster)*
Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster)
Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster)

I'm guessing the 15 that will play the ABs next weekend will all be rested, this will mean the team will most likely come from this group of players:

Iain Henderson (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
Dan Leavy (UCD/Leinster)*
Jack O’Donoghue (UL Bohemians/Munster)*
Darren Sweetnam (Cork Constitution/Munster)*
Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster)

Also, do we expect any changes to the NZ match? I imagine Henderson, Earls, POM and Jackson will likely come in. Maybe even Marshall or Ringrose if JS looks to re-jig the backline.

My team for Canada:

Iain Henderson (Ballynahinch/Ulster)- give him 50 min to prove fitness
Dan Leavy (UCD/Leinster)* // Jack O’Donoghue (UL Bohemians/Munster)*// Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster)

Dan Leavy (UCD/Leinster)* // Jack O’Donoghue (UL Bohemians/Munster)*// Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster)- not too sure who to pick here. All have put their hand up this season.

A lot of new caps but there is still a decent amount of experience in that team.

the-goon

Back to top Go down

Ireland v Canada and New Zealand x2 - Page 2 Empty Re: Ireland v Canada and New Zealand x2

Post by SecretFly Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:11 pm

profitius wrote:I think this is it.

Healy
Cronin
Bealham
Dillane
Holland*
POM
SOB
JOD*

Marmion
Jackson
Earls
Marshall
Ringrose*
Gilroy
TOH

Tracy*
Kilcoyne
J Ryan*
D Ryan
Leavy*
Carbery
L McGrath
Adeolokun*

*7 uncapped players
No Henderson.

A few of those now really need to pull up their socks at International level and offer some real competition - they have to hit Canada with the power, precision, concentration levels and 80 minute mentality that the team did against NZ.  Healy needs to get back up quickly.  He needs to be more than just a 'safe pair of hands' and be an influential power player with a lot of controlled aggression. No hot head stuff but plenty of team effort aggression.
Earls and Gilroy, if there, need to get over all these seeming confidence issues too.  They've been to school long enough, they're old enough.  No excuses; 80 minutes of good stuff not 80 mins of some good and some scary.  That 'maybe I'll be good and maybe I won't' approach is not good enough anymore.  There are too many players waiting their chance.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Ireland v Canada and New Zealand x2 - Page 2 Empty Re: Ireland v Canada and New Zealand x2

Post by carpet baboon Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:22 pm

Your right fly. If your in the team your playing to stay there. You give it every ounce of effort skill precision and belief. No half hearted saving myself bullwhip.
All out for 80 mins

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:50 pm

Doesnt leave that strong a team for Munster to take on the Maoris.

EDIT: They have already announced their team

Andrew Conway
Darren Sweetnam
Jaco Taute
Rory Scannell
Ronan O’Mahony
Ian Keatley
Duncan Williams
James Cronin
Niall Scannell
Stephen Archer
John Madigan
Darren O’Shea
Tommy O’Donnell Capt.
Conor Oliver
Robin Copeland

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, Peter McCabe, Brian Scott, Sean O’Connor, John Foley, Te Aihe Toma, Dan Goggin, Alex Wootton.

Last edited by Golden on Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:51 pm

profitius wrote:
*7 uncapped players
No Henderson.

Hendersons fit but seem to be saving him and giving him a crack at being 100% for next week which will be interesting with Toner, Ryan, Dillane and Henderson and maybe Holland too if he really steps up against Canada

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:56 pm

Golden wrote:Doesnt leave that strong a team for Munster to take on the Maoris

Seems so.  But then, it would be a serious fault if we took Canada for granted as NZ probably took us for granted.  We know only from last week how quickly expectation hits you in the bum.  So we have to be cautious.  In real terms at International level, the Canadian game is more important.  We have to sustain momentum given the games we have coming up after Canada.  It would be lovely to see Munster beat the Maoris, but we're in a rhythm sustaining exercise here and indeed, in a bit of a points sustaining exercise to.  Canada must be a priority.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:00 pm

marty2086 wrote:
profitius wrote:
*7 uncapped players
No Henderson.

Hendersons fit but seem to be saving him and giving him a crack at being 100% for next week which will be interesting with Toner, Ryan, Dillane and Henderson and maybe Holland too if he really steps up against Canada

Ahh remember the good old days when we had just the 3 decent locks in the entire country? Made picking the team. Simple.
But I do love the fact that all 5 should be destroying themselves in training to get that starting spot. Can only make them all better

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:30 pm

It's fantastic to see the depth we now have in most positions except unfortunately for 9. Conor Murray is now one of the best players we have and a real leader, but after that there is a serious drop-off in quality. Marmion and Luke McGrath blow hot and cold and to be honest I'd fear for our prospects if Murray ever ends up crocked - thankfully he's been reasonably injury-free but....

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:31 pm

carpet baboon wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
profitius wrote:
*7 uncapped players
No Henderson.

Ahh remember the good old days when we had just the 3 decent locks in the entire country? Made picking the team. Simple.
But I do love the fact that all 5 should be destroying themselves in training to get that starting spot. Can only make them all better

That's the point and I keep saying it's probably the main reason why the ABs are so good, so sharp.  They get to train alongside players that push them often harder than the opposition they're going to meet.  You need a strong squad to push training and then that training helps the team do better on the field.  The more competition behind the scenes, the harder the training, the better the end result should be............................................... in theory Whistle

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:33 pm

brennomac wrote:It's fantastic to see the depth we now have in most positions except unfortunately for 9. Conor Murray is now one of the best players we have and a real leader, but after that there is a serious drop-off in quality. Marmion and Luke McGrath blow hot and cold and to be honest I'd fear for our prospects if Murray ever ends up crocked - thankfully he's been reasonably injury-free but....
We keep saying this though. The others look awkward and iffy because they are in that classic waiting position and obviously don't get as much top grade International quality gametime as Murray.

In my opinion Murray can be hot and cold too - or at least he could be up until now. I'll be hoping he's always in hot mode from here on in.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:35 pm

brennomac wrote:It's fantastic to see the depth we now have in most positions except unfortunately for 9. Conor Murray is now one of the best players we have and a real leader, but after that there is a serious drop-off in quality. Marmion and Luke McGrath blow hot and cold and to be honest I'd fear for our prospects if Murray ever ends up crocked - thankfully he's been reasonably injury-free but....

Remember when Murray used to do that?

For me the turning point for him was the Lions tour and he seemed to really mature in the environment

Like the guys are saying about the second rows, I think Marmion and McGrath who are 24 and 23 can only improve being in the squad and hopefully getting more game time will push them on a bit more

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:21 pm

I like this team alot. I feel we can (and should if we want to set a marker for the next NZ match) run up a big score. A player like Niyi I don't think will excel against top 3 international teams but even off the bench will run rampage against Canada. Gilroy too.

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:52 pm

No mid game die off to let them play.  IF we are running circles round them, and I'm not smug enough to suggest we will be - but IF we are, then no mid game die-off to let them back.  That's what I'll be looking for.

ps - I'm talking of Canada of course.... not the ABs! Whistle

Last edited by SecretFly on Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Not grey and not a ghost Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:36 am

Likely team for NZ in Dublin

15 B Smith
14 Dagg
13 Lienart Brown
12 Fekitoa
11 J Savea
10 B Barrett
9 Perenara
8 Reid
7 Cane
6 Kaino
5 Retallick
4 Tuipolotu
3 Moody
2 Coles
1 O Franks

16 Taylor
17 Crockett
18 Faumoina
19 Squires
20 Savea
21 Smith
22 Cruden
23 Tumanivalu

I'm assuming Whitelock, Romano and Crotty are all unavailable.

Not grey and not a ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:41 am

SecretFly wrote:No mid game die off to let them play.  IF we are running circles round them, and I'm not smug enough to suggest we will be - but IF we are, then no mid game die-off to let them back.  That's what I'll be looking for.

ps - I'm talking of Canada of course.... not the ABs! Whistle

Canada don't have 3 of their most experienced players in Ardron, Cudmore and Hassler so while its an experimental Irish side its a weakened Canada side too

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:45 am

Perhaps. But if the mood wasn't right in Ireland camp, or if certain players were trying to keep safe for bigger more notable games down the line, then that Canada could still surprise and do a NZ job on us.
The one thing is certain, they'll have more fire in the blood now to try beating the side that beat the ABs. It's cyclical. They'll give it everything. We'd be wise not to stand off whilst trying to produce a measured game.

All I'm saying is keep up the tempo - go at them and don't let the foot off the peddle. The tempo must be sustained.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:47 am

Think Joes laid down the challenge of making the team or 23 the following week so if beating Canada doesn't do it then playing the ABs might do it

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:57 am

marty2086 wrote:Think Joes laid down the challenge of making the team or 23 the following week so if beating Canada doesn't do it then playing the ABs might do it

Wink I think too that the players playing against Canada are smart enough to know that pretty much Joe won't want to do too much horse trading on the side that played in Chicago come game 2. They know there is only one or two places at most available. Oh I think they will play well but just that lull mid game needs to be ironed out of the system. It was the ABs, but three tries without too much trouble in that period? We always let sides back at us and not just the ABs.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2