The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland v Australia, 12 November

+47
RuggerRadge2611
majesticimperialman
BigGee
westisbest
Notch
stub
wolfball
Shifty
lostinwales
rumpelstiltskindoh
doctor_grey
profitius
toml
cakeordeath
emack2
BamBam
EWT Spoons
nickj
Majestic83
highland_scot
IanBru
EST
MacKnocked-on
TheMildlyFranticLlama
bsando
Senlac
NeilyBroon
SecretFly
Tattie Scones RRN
No 7&1/2
Hazel Sapling
beshocked
boomeranga
GunsGerms
yappysnap
jimbopip
reallybored
GLove39
munkian
funnyExiledScot
RDW
tigertattie
TJ
bedfordwelsh
R!skysports
mikey_dragon
George Carlin
51 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Scotland v Australia, 12 November - Page 4 Empty Scotland v Australia, 12 November

Post by George Carlin Sun 06 Nov 2016, 11:36 am

First topic message reminder :

Scotland v Australia, 12 November - Page 4 Scot_f10       Scotland v Australia, 12 November - Page 4 Wallab10
SCOTLAND v AUSTRALIA
12 November 2016
14:30 GMT
BT Murrayfield, Edinburgh

Live on BBC One

Referee: John Lacey (Ireland)
ARs: [tbc]
TMO: [tbc]

A. Head to Head

29 Played 29
9 Won 20
0 Drawn 0
20 Lost 9
364 Points 706

B. Recent Form

18 October 2015
Twickenham
35-34 to Australia

23 November 2013
Murrayfield, Edinburgh
15 – 21 to Australia

5 June 2012
Hunter Stadium, Newcastle
6 – 9 to Scotland

21 November 2009
Murrayfield, Edinburgh
9 – 8 to Scotland

25 November 2006
Murrayfield, Edinburgh
15 – 44 to Australia

20 November 2004
Hampden Park, Glasgow
17 – 31 to Australia

C. TEAMS:

SCOTLAND 
Scotland v Australia, 12 November - Page 4 Stillg10
Stuart Hogg, Sean Maitland, Huw Jones, Alex Dunbar, Tim Visser, Finn Russell, Greig Laidlaw (capt); Allan Dell, Ross Ford, Zander Fagerson, Richie Gray, Jonny Gray, John Barclay, Hamish Watson, Ryan Wilson.

Replacements: Fraser Brown, Gordon Reid, Moray Low, Grant Gilchrist, John Hardie, Ali Price, Pete Horne, Rory Hughes.

AUSTRALIA
Scotland v Australia, 12 November - Page 4 Roy__h10
Israel Folau, Dane Haylett-Petty, Tevita Kuridrani, Reece Hodge, Henry Speight, Bernard Foley, Will Genia; Scott Sio, Stephen Moore (capt), Sekope Kepu, Rory Arnold, Adam Coleman, David Pocock, Michael Hooper, Lopeti Timani.

Replacements: Tolu Latu, Tom Robertson, Allan Alaalatoa, Rob Simmons, Will Skelton, Dean Mumm, Nick Phipps, Quade Cooper.

Last edited by George Carlin on Thu 10 Nov 2016, 5:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Scotland v Australia, 12 November - Page 4 Empty Re: Scotland v Australia, 12 November

Post by RDW Fri 11 Nov 2016, 11:27 am

tigertattie wrote:Jonny is an effective carrier but he doesn't carry that often! It's no criticism of the boy, it's purely because he's too busy getting involved in the mud to be free to carry!

Again I disagree - during the 6N he was one of our top carriers. Just looked at the stats v France and only Josh Strauss made more carries then him! I'm sure there would be a similar story in the other games too.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Scotland v Australia, 12 November - Page 4 Empty Re: Scotland v Australia, 12 November

Post by George Carlin Fri 11 Nov 2016, 11:29 am

It's actually Wilson that will be a weakness in his position - not Watson. His ground skills aren't good enough for an open side and he lacks the carrying ability of a true 8.

Watson deserves his chance, Hardie is on the bench if he looks out of his depth. I was actually delighted to see Watson's name on the team sheet. He's undeniably a form pick and deserves his chance. So deck it, let's see how he gets on.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 11 Nov 2016, 11:32 am

Its highly inconvenient to have this scheduled at the same time as the England game, I reckon this could be a really good game to watch!!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 11 Nov 2016, 11:34 am

BamBam wrote:Its highly inconvenient to have this scheduled at the same time as the England game, I reckon this could be a really good game to watch!!
That's England's fault for letting SKY dictate things for em!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 11 Nov 2016, 11:51 am

The clash works well for me.

It's too tense for me to actually watch the Scotland game, so I'll just watch the English one and try not to check the Twitter updates on the Scotland match too often.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Fri 11 Nov 2016, 12:01 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
boomeranga wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
boomeranga wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Scotland v Australia, 12 November - Page 4 Cw5o4u5WEAAEWik

I've spent the day (SH) analysning and I note:

1) There's only one completely clean shaven bloke in that line up.
2) Baldy has a Welsh sounding name.
3) All Scots are hipsters.

Let's hope your compatriots have done a similar level of analysis! Laugh

Apparently when grilled by the Scottish media the aussie players knew very little about our team, but they did say that they have watched Braveheart...

Very Happy are you saying there is no beardy revolution underway over there?  You Honour, I call Mr GLove to the stand.  No more questions.

Being us, we think Braveheart is really 'Mad Max IV - beyond beyond thunder dome' so our TVs told us it was Rob Roy they had been studying.

I think this game will mean a fair bit to our guys (and supporters).  I know and accept the revenge card rightly sits in your mits but we've also taken a fair amount of Poopie over that result last year.  I don't understand the reasoning for picking 27 locks but we've picked all our best players including recalling Genia after Phipps had a good game last week and could have justified starting again.

That's a fair point - we've only ever seen the fallout from a Scotland point of view.  How did the Aussie media and public react to the game? You did win, but you were one messed up Scotland lineout away from losing!

We were, for sure.

A couple of things about it for me.

Firstly, I personally didn't feel we robbed you. I thought we had had the better of the game. Right or wrong, that was my view of it.

Secondly, I think we as a people tend to move on from most sport things relatively quickly if we are able. We whinge really hard and shamelessly in an immediate get-it-out-ugly way. Cheik's press conferences really are are Australia, but his honesty and smile the next week are as well. Bodyline acknowledged, we don't bear (bare?) a lot of grudges.

With that game, people kept bringing us back to it. Doing so has made it big for us as well. People kept bringing us back to the Sffas in 2011 as well but I think there was more an acceptance of that because, in our minds, the Saffas made the run of play more than y guys did in 2015. Plus Poey was so good against the Saffas that we didn't care anyway.

As I said, all that for right or wrong.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri 11 Nov 2016, 12:02 pm

IMO what Jonny does is tidy up rubbish ball and set it up again. He carries a fair but but not for many yards

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 11 Nov 2016, 12:20 pm

boomeranga wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
boomeranga wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
boomeranga wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Scotland v Australia, 12 November - Page 4 Cw5o4u5WEAAEWik

I've spent the day (SH) analysning and I note:

1) There's only one completely clean shaven bloke in that line up.
2) Baldy has a Welsh sounding name.
3) All Scots are hipsters.

Let's hope your compatriots have done a similar level of analysis! Laugh

Apparently when grilled by the Scottish media the aussie players knew very little about our team, but they did say that they have watched Braveheart...

Very Happy are you saying there is no beardy revolution underway over there?  You Honour, I call Mr GLove to the stand.  No more questions.

Being us, we think Braveheart is really 'Mad Max IV - beyond beyond thunder dome' so our TVs told us it was Rob Roy they had been studying.

I think this game will mean a fair bit to our guys (and supporters).  I know and accept the revenge card rightly sits in your mits but we've also taken a fair amount of Poopie over that result last year.  I don't understand the reasoning for picking 27 locks but we've picked all our best players including recalling Genia after Phipps had a good game last week and could have justified starting again.

That's a fair point - we've only ever seen the fallout from a Scotland point of view.  How did the Aussie media and public react to the game? You did win, but you were one messed up Scotland lineout away from losing!

We were, for sure.  

A couple of things about it for me.  

Firstly,  I personally didn't feel we robbed you.  I thought we had had the better of the game.  Right or wrong, that was my view of it.

Secondly, I think we as a people tend to move on from most sport things relatively quickly if we are able.  We whinge really hard and shamelessly in an immediate get-it-out-ugly way.  Cheik's press conferences really are are Australia, but his honesty and smile the next week are as well. Bodyline acknowledged, we don't bear (bare?) a lot of grudges.

With that game, people kept bringing us back to it.  Doing so has made it big for us as well.  People kept bringing us back to the Sffas in 2011 as well but I think there was more an acceptance of that because, in our minds, the Saffas made the run of play more than y guys did in 2015. Plus Poey was so good against the Saffas that we didn't care anyway.

As I said, all that for right or wrong.

it really was a strange game. On the face of it you outscored us 5 tries to 3 but we also destroyed you in the scrum and got a lot of penalties - there are many different ways to win a rugby game.

I don't think anyone would have begrudged Scotland the win if we had won but likewise you can't give away 5 tries to 3 and have complaints about losing.

The *he who shall not be named* refereeing issue unfortunately became the side show that detracted from what was a fantastic rugby spectacle.

Personally I like games against Australia more than any other tri-nations team, mainly because you are the team we are probably most likely to beat out of the 3! Saying that I would fancy our chances against the current South African team.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 11 Nov 2016, 1:41 pm

Intersting stats..

"Scotland have won 14 and lost 14 of Vern Cotter's 28 matches in charge, scoring 64 tries in the process (averaging 2.3 per game). Under previous coach Scott Johnson they won five of their 16 matches, scoring 23 tries (average 1.4 per game)."

- BBC

So VC has made a significant difference as we all knew anyway. Nice to see the stats laid out like that though..

here's link to the article on the beeb.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37928317

Getting pretty darn excited for this one! Mainly because both teams scream running rugby!! However, we have to accept that it may be a rusty Scottish side tomorrow no matter how well they've prepared or the warnings from Wales game etc.

Weather report - http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2650225?day=1

Its looking perfect! Overcast with bit of sun, just over 10 degrees temp, light west wind.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 11 Nov 2016, 2:01 pm

This is going to be a cracker! I'm not expecting a Scotland win, though I do think we can keep it close. I think both sides can afford to play with an adventurous style, and if we're within a score with ten to go then who's to say what'll happen?

Who's going?
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 11 Nov 2016, 2:12 pm

George Carlin wrote:It's actually Wilson that will be a weakness in his position - not Watson. His ground skills aren't good enough for an open side and he lacks the carrying ability of a true 8.

Watson deserves his chance, Hardie is on the bench if he looks out of his depth. I was actually delighted to see Watson's name on the team sheet. He's undeniably a form pick and deserves his chance. So deck it, let's see how he gets on.

Agreed. Watson has been terrific for a good while now, and it's great to see a coach make such a bold call on form.

Ryan Wilson will be found out, and although not surprised, Grant Gilchrist has done nothing to merit his place on the bench.

Happy for Fagerson. Dell is fortunate due to our injury crisis at loosehead, although I will say that Dell has played well for Edinburgh when I've seen him - big workrate.

I think we are going to struggle, but very much looking forward to seeing how the new starters get on.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri 11 Nov 2016, 2:12 pm

Boomeranga - I don't think "we woz robbed" but you were lucky to win. Two Scotland mistakes in the final few mins let aus within scoring range. Its those two mistakes that cost us the game.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 11 Nov 2016, 2:23 pm

Wish I was going Bru Crying or Very sad

I told some Aussie mates to go to the cafe royal morning of the game so you've been warned!

Barclay, Watson, Wilson to me doesn't shout physicality but it definitely shouts good hands and support lines. Remember in the RWC Vern had Cowan and Hardie playing this is practically the same, two 7's to combat Australia's two 7's in Hooper and Pocock.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri 11 Nov 2016, 2:25 pm

Dell had a good game the last game I saw him play. Held up his side of the scrum and featured really well in the loose. Against Zebre and we got beat but thats the MFLs for you.
His stats are
1 kick(?) no passes, 6 runs for 29m, 2 clean breaks
2 turnovers conceded, 6 tackles non missed, no penalties
Edinburgh lost 2 scrums - can't remember what happened but I don't remember Edinburgh having a hard time

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 11 Nov 2016, 2:48 pm

I do remember when Dickinson first broke onto the scene and didn't exactly set the world alight. In fact he was under a lot of heavy criticism I remember (partly because he was used as tight head cover too). I think Dell will come good - we just have to be patient, also he has Richie supporting him so I reckon he will hold his own. I'm willing to trust Cotter on this!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 11 Nov 2016, 7:55 pm

Just reminding myself of what happened last time.

My god, we need to improve our driving maul defence.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Fri 11 Nov 2016, 10:51 pm

TJ - on that basis you would have been lucky to win as well. Your second and third tries came directly following Wallaby mistakes. And have you seen a try like your first one since?

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 11 Nov 2016, 10:54 pm

Glasgow try it all the time! Well, a few times a season. The move, apparently, is called the 'Gordie'!
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Fri 11 Nov 2016, 11:03 pm

Then I stand corrected!

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 11 Nov 2016, 11:17 pm

All set for tomorrow! Can't wait...

Scotland v Australia, 12 November - Page 4 14993366_1482225721792838_1283083584874275674_n

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 11 Nov 2016, 11:27 pm

Ensconced in our luxury hotel just waiting for the morrow. Anyone recommend a watering hole for before the convicts are put to the sword? Or one for drowning my sorrows afterwards?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 12 Nov 2016, 1:37 pm

Go Scotland Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 12 Nov 2016, 2:12 pm

I've got the fear!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sat 12 Nov 2016, 2:16 pm

Tell me about it, so nervous now!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sat 12 Nov 2016, 2:17 pm

I just get annoyed when I see BVC he should have had longer with the team, instead of getting shunted by Townsend

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sat 12 Nov 2016, 2:18 pm

Good god, I just agreed entirely with what Andy Nichol was saying! Shocked

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Sat 12 Nov 2016, 2:24 pm

One player to watch for Australia is Adam Coleman.

The wallaby second rows have been pretty soft for a while, but this guy is teak tough and fairly abrasive. They seem to have found a good partnership with him and Arnold, definitely an upgrade in physicality over their second rows in recent years.

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat 12 Nov 2016, 2:32 pm

Good start. The Scots are looking sharp!
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 12 Nov 2016, 2:32 pm

Decent start, bit of obstruction from Hogg though!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 12 Nov 2016, 2:34 pm

Ffs Wilson!! No pressure on him at all

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 12 Nov 2016, 2:35 pm

Our 5m line is not where Dell and fagerson would want their first scrum!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 12 Nov 2016, 2:35 pm

Wilson is awful!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 12 Nov 2016, 2:39 pm

Very lucky to get out of that with no points - let off from Wilson's mistake

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sat 12 Nov 2016, 2:40 pm

HUW JONES!! Magic from Russell

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 12 Nov 2016, 2:40 pm

Marvelous!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 12 Nov 2016, 2:40 pm

Yeeeeeees!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 12 Nov 2016, 2:43 pm

Lacey giving us all the calls just now - thought fagerson collapsed first

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 12 Nov 2016, 2:43 pm

We're on course to win 80-0.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 12 Nov 2016, 2:46 pm

Glorious Aussie try

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 12 Nov 2016, 2:46 pm

Hats off. Great try.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sat 12 Nov 2016, 2:46 pm

That was far too easy for Australia

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sat 12 Nov 2016, 2:47 pm

Visser living up to his revolving door reputation

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 12 Nov 2016, 2:53 pm

These Aussies can really play.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 12 Nov 2016, 2:54 pm

Aus ripping us to shreds off first phase

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 12 Nov 2016, 2:56 pm

Fagerson is struggling

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sat 12 Nov 2016, 3:01 pm

Huw Jones, new Scottish hero!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat 12 Nov 2016, 3:01 pm

Great try!
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 12 Nov 2016, 3:01 pm

Huw Jones justifying his selection!!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 12 Nov 2016, 3:04 pm

Sit down Foley!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 12 Nov 2016, 3:06 pm

This is pretty exciting. Certainly Scotland look like they can really bring it to the Aussies.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next