The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Merthyr RFC set to become new force in Welsh Rugby

+12
Pot Hale
Cardiff Dave
True Raven
Irish Londoner
PhilBB
Steffan
mikey_dragon
Stone Motif
RiscaGame
LordDowlais
Luckless Pedestrian
munkian
16 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Merthyr RFC set to become new force in Welsh Rugby - Page 2 Empty Merthyr RFC set to become new force in Welsh Rugby

Post by munkian Mon 05 Sep 2016, 12:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ponty ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Merthyr RFC set to become new force in Welsh Rugby - Page 2 Empty Re: Merthyr RFC set to become new force in Welsh Rugby

Post by LordDowlais Wed 28 Sep 2016, 1:16 pm

This one is for you Phil.

Still proving you wrong so frequently, please make sure you watch the video:-

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/how-merthyr-tydfils-economy-fighting-11944054

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Merthyr RFC set to become new force in Welsh Rugby - Page 2 Empty Re: Merthyr RFC set to become new force in Welsh Rugby

Post by PhilBB Wed 28 Sep 2016, 4:52 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

Were you honestly there Phil ?

I asked you a question to trick you, and you have been hooked left right and sinker.

Penydarren Park is currently having a massive overhaul. New stands, new suites, there has been massive investment. You would need to walk around there with your eyes closed to not notice all the work going on there.

And do you not mean the Webley suite ? Not Wigley suite ? Named after Dai Webley, one of our best serving players. Surely you would have known that though if you were there. Did you not notice the extra car parking facilities there as well ?

PhilBB wrote:Can the town host a pro rugby team needing £9m plus turnover a year (in two or three years's time) just to be as good as the NGD. I can't see it. I can't see it anywhere in Wales outside of where we have it, either.

That's why, for me, clubs like Pontypridd and Merthyr should be aiming to be the best amateur community clubs in Wales.

Your ignorance of the valleys is astounding.

Yes, I was there. I went to a funding fair for the third sector in Merthyr Borough Council. New stands? New suites? I think that you're over egging it enormously.

My 'ignorance' stems from living there. Provide me with the business case of how a pro team can be sustained and I'll read it.
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Wed 28 Sep 2016, 4:55 pm

LordDowlais wrote:This one is for you Phil.

Still proving you wrong so frequently, please make sure you watch the video:-

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/how-merthyr-tydfils-economy-fighting-11944054

Erm, how exactly is that proving me wrong when I believe that Merthyr can host a pro rugby team? It's an article about how very small steps of economic activity are happening in a place with twice the national average of long term sick.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 29 Sep 2016, 9:11 am

PhilBB wrote:when I believe that Merthyr can host a pro rugby team?

Ah good, so you agree then. Finally.

So now there should be no more of this:-

PhilBB wrote:That's why, for me, clubs like Pontypridd and Merthyr should be aiming to be the best amateur community clubs in Wales.

If, as you say, you have lived in the Valleys. Then you cannot deny the massive improvements area's like Merthyr Tydfil are making.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Thu 29 Sep 2016, 9:25 am

LordDowlais wrote:
If, as you say, you have lived in the Valleys. Then you cannot deny the massive improvements area's like Merthyr Tydfil are making.

But nowhere near enough to sustain a pro team.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 29 Sep 2016, 9:33 am

PhilBB wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

But nowhere near enough to sustain a pro team.

Why are you contradicting yourself ?

You have only just agreed that Merthyr can run a pro team.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Thu 29 Sep 2016, 9:42 am

LordDowlais wrote:

Where?
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 29 Sep 2016, 11:47 am

PhilBB wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Where?

In Merthyr.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Thu 29 Sep 2016, 11:56 am

No dog in the fight, but am interested in the politics of Welsh rugby, I can understand that Merthyr can become the dominant pro/semi-pro team with the Welsh Premiership level, given lots of money and stadium development, but making the jump from there to a region would strike me as either a very long term goal or simply impossible, I think it would be great for the Valleys to have a region of their own but without all the clubs who would have a stake in this agreeing I don't see how it would work, also it would really need somewhere else - Scotland ? - to start an extra team so that there would be an even number of sides.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Thu 29 Sep 2016, 12:26 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
PhilBB wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Where?

In Merthyr.

Where on this board, Dowellais.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sat 08 Oct 2016, 7:37 pm

Well, we sweep all before us again. What a result, after last nights disappointment, with Ospreys ripping Cardiff a new one, the mighty Merthyr put another spring in my step and absolutely smash the champions at the Wern. What a day, what an atmosphere, this Premiership rugby malarky is easy.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Oct 2016, 8:19 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Well, we sweep all before us again. What a result, after last nights disappointment, with Ospreys ripping Cardiff a new one, the mighty Merthyr put another spring in my step and absolutely smash the champions at the Wern. What a day, what an atmosphere, this Premiership rugby malarky is easy.

No one likes an arrogant gloater, Dowlais! Be magnanimous in victory. Be a true rugby supporter.

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Sat 08 Oct 2016, 8:25 pm

Are Merthyr a feeder club for the blues? Do they receive blues players? And do ponty still?

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sat 08 Oct 2016, 8:33 pm

Griff wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Well, we sweep all before us again. What a result, after last nights disappointment, with Ospreys ripping Cardiff a new one, the mighty Merthyr put another spring in my step and absolutely smash the champions at the Wern. What a day, what an atmosphere, this Premiership rugby malarky is easy.

No one likes an arrogant gloater, Dowlais! Be magnanimous in victory. Be a true rugby supporter.

Laugh

WTF ?

Ebbw fan are we ?

Come on, it's all banter.

Shouldn't you be chuffed s feck at the minute with how Dragons are doing ?

Merthyr have had nowt, for years, I am going to celebrate, whether you like it nor not. thumbsup

I took plenty of banter off the Ospreys supporters last night, if any of you are on here, I was the one with the senile old fart with a Cardiff Blues cap on, he was my old man. Top banter. clap clap

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sat 08 Oct 2016, 8:34 pm

True Raven wrote:Are Merthyr a feeder club for the blues?  Do they receive blues players?  And do ponty still?

Whats that got to do with anything ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Sat 08 Oct 2016, 8:35 pm

Just wondered, that's all

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sat 08 Oct 2016, 8:38 pm

True Raven wrote:Just wondered, that's all

Oh OK, yes we do work with Cardiff Blues. We have one player off them. But they are "our" region. Most of Cardiff's player who do not get into the region play for the rags(Cardiff RFC), they do not send many out elsewhere. 99% of our players are our own.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Oct 2016, 9:09 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Griff wrote:

Laugh

WTF ?

Ebbw fan are we ?

Merthyr have had nowt, for years, I am going to celebrate, whether you like  it nor not. thumbsup

I took plenty of banter off the Ospreys supporters last night, if any of you are on here, I was the one with the senile old fart with a Cardiff Blues cap on, he was my old man. Top banter. clap  clap

There's a decent way to go about it, and then there's the 'soccer' way which you've chosen. You're often critical of other posters on here. Don't be surprised when it comes back the other way. "We sweep all before us" and "premiership rugby malarkey is easy" is just bad form, old boy.

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sat 08 Oct 2016, 9:17 pm

get a life griff. seriously. get a life. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Oct 2016, 9:30 pm

LordDowlais wrote:get a life griff. seriously. get a life. OK

I'll remind you of that the next time you're doing your usual whining and complaining about other posters OK

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 08 Oct 2016, 10:41 pm

Loud Dowlais can gloat, moan, complain, whinge, etc all he likes as far as i'm concerned. Just wish he wouldn't post WOL/Fail stuff.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 08 Oct 2016, 11:38 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:Loud Dowlais can gloat, moan, complain, whinge, etc all he likes as far as i'm concerned. Just wish he wouldn't post WOL/Fail stuff.

Bingo

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 08 Oct 2016, 11:41 pm

Griff wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:get a life griff. seriously. get a life. OK

I'll remind you of that the next time you're doing your usual whining and complaining about other posters OK

Watch he doesn't threaten you with the foe list mind.

Wouldn't "sweep all before us" suggest you haven't lost this season? I know you're not the brightest Andy, but maybe think before you press send.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 08 Oct 2016, 11:41 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Griff wrote:

Laugh

WTF ?

Ebbw fan are we ?

Merthyr have had nowt, for years, I am going to celebrate, whether you like  it nor not. thumbsup

I took plenty of banter off the Ospreys supporters last night, if any of you are on here, I was the one with the senile old fart with a Cardiff Blues cap on, he was my old man. Top banter. clap  clap

"Senile old fart". Wow, top banter there Andy. You piece of sh1t.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 08 Oct 2016, 11:43 pm

Haha. Don't rise to him Stone.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 09 Oct 2016, 12:16 am

RiscaGame wrote:Haha. Don't rise to him Stone.

Should have complained to the mods really but thought, nah just tell it like it is
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 09 Oct 2016, 12:39 am

Stone Motif wrote:

Should have complained to the mods really but thought, nah just tell it like it is

Just wondering. Are you his old man? Or just a senile old fart taking umbrage on behalf of other senile old farts.

It could be worse, you could be living on your own with cats which apparently makes you very angry. Wink
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 09 Oct 2016, 12:56 am

Pot Hale wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

Just wondering.   Are you his old man? Or just a senile old fart taking umbrage on behalf of other senile old farts.

It could be worse, you could be living on your own with cats which apparently makes you very angry. Wink

Is this Irish bantz?
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 09 Oct 2016, 9:00 am

Pot Hale wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

Just wondering.   Are you his old man? Or just a senile old fart taking umbrage on behalf of other senile old farts.

Neighbors I think.

Ask Jimpy.

Last edited by mikey_dragon on Sun 09 Oct 2016, 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 09 Oct 2016, 9:04 am

Most of Cardiff's player who do not get into the region play for the rags(Cardiff RFC), they do not send many out elsewhere. 99% of our players are our own.

Interesting thought - what do you class as 'our own'? From what I can tell pieman came in and bought a load of players with higher-level experience, Andy Powell is on 50K a year so I'm told. It was necessary if Merthyr wanted to get a strong and lasting foothold in the premiership but I hope they have welsh rugby in mind, and don't go out and do a Ponty - we all know that ended up Smile.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sun 09 Oct 2016, 9:49 am

Laugh

OMG. Look at the Gwent fanboys getting tetchy on here. Seriously, you lot need to get that chip off your shoulders. You would think that you lot would be used to losing by now. Unless of course your last bastion of success in Gwent, Ebbw Vale, was your last bright shining light of some sort of sanctuary of some winning feeling.

You lost yesterday, get over it.

Also, to Stone Motif, who do you think you are ? If I want to call my old man senile, then I will.

FFS, what's the matter with people on here ?

Also, I am not the only member who post links to WOL on here. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 09 Oct 2016, 9:59 am

LordDowlais wrote:

Probably things like this:

LordDowlais wrote:  
OMG. Look at the Gwent fanboys getting tetchy on here. Seriously, you lot need to get that chip off your shoulders. You would think that you lot would be used to losing by now. Unless of course your last bastion of success in Gwent, Ebbw Vale, was your last bright shining light of some sort of sanctuary of some winning feeling.

Also, to Stone Motif, who do you think you are ? If I want to call my old man senile, then I will.

You post some daft(er) comments on weekends, which leads me to believe you come on here under the influence of something. Whatever it is, don't do it and type.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sun 09 Oct 2016, 10:11 am

So I cannot celebrate my home town team thumping the champs on here then can I ?

I cannot post WOL articles on here either ? Even though you do, as do many others ?

Why is it, that it is only a few Dragons fans on here who try and act as if they run this forum ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun 09 Oct 2016, 11:49 am

Your home town team that you couldn't have cared less about until Stan came in. Yeah, us Dragons supporters probably are used to losing, but at least we support our team through good and bad, unlike some who can't even nail their colours to a regional mast and jump from supporting Ponty to Merthyr, depending on who is more successful.

You are a beaut Andy.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 09 Oct 2016, 11:54 am

RiscaGame wrote:Your home town team that you couldn't have cared less about until Stan came in. Yeah, us Dragons supporters probably are used to losing, but at least we support our team through good and bad, unlike some who can't even nail their colours to a regional mast and jump from supporting Ponty to Merthyr, depending on who is more successful.

You are a beaut Andy.

Yeah. Also can you find that info in a WOL article and post it back here?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 09 Oct 2016, 12:46 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

Is this Irish bantz?

Not directed at you, Stone. My attempted humour about the unthinking/unkind remarks some posters make.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 09 Oct 2016, 1:31 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Laugh

Also, I am not the only member who post links to WOL on here. OK

Right. Anything else you like to make fun of Andy, like an ethnicity you don't like, or is it just other people's health problems?

Celebrating 'success' in the Welsh Prem is a bit like celebrating winning a game of conkers, not that there are more than about one Ebbw fans on here anyway. Personally, after they helped set pro rugby in 'Gwent' back a decade I couldn't give any more of any toss about their results than you give about the Equality Act.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 09 Oct 2016, 1:33 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

Is this Irish bantz?

Not directed at you, Stone. My attempted humour about the unthinking/unkind remarks some posters make.

Dare I ask who or what Jimpy is?
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 09 Oct 2016, 2:41 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

Is this Irish bantz?

Dare I ask who or what Jimpy is?

Another poster, but don't waste your time.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 11 Oct 2016, 12:25 pm

Oh well, Andy Powell has been forced to retire, this is the only NON WOL I could find:-

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/37614390

All the best Andy, you have been a character. Ale

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 11 Oct 2016, 12:46 pm

Phew. I do try and refrain from reading WOL links, for a number of reasons, but the one at the top of my list is that it makes my computer run slow due to the amount of ads they have. That's a shame anyway, Andy was a real character in rugby - the golf buggy incident will go down in folklore...

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Tue 11 Oct 2016, 12:48 pm

I see that Harley Thompson is causing a bit of a stir.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 11 Oct 2016, 1:01 pm

PhilBB wrote:I see that Harley Thompson is causing a bit of a stir.

He plays for Bedwas doesn't he ? What has he got to do with us ?

He just want's to come and play for Merthyr. It is for him and Bedwas to sort out.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Tue 11 Oct 2016, 1:04 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

He just want's to come and play for Merthyr. It is for him and Bedwas to sort out.

The only thing it has to do with Merthyr is that is where he wants to play. This is a thread about Merthyr.

Maybe you've read something that isn't there.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 11 Oct 2016, 1:11 pm

PhilBB wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

The only thing it has to do with Merthyr is that is where he wants to play. This is a thread about Merthyr.

Maybe you've read something that isn't there.

Bedwas are trying to hold onto him, Merthyr have offered him a contract, he has accepted, but Bedwas are saying that they stuck by him through all his injury issues and they want him to show some commitment back by staying with them, and they are asking for legal advice on the matter, they have also asked the WRU to intervene. Bedwas have NO issues with Merthyr, but have all the issues with the player himself. They want to take legal action against HIM not Merthyr RFC.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Tue 11 Oct 2016, 2:20 pm

I know.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 11 Oct 2016, 2:27 pm

PhilBB wrote:I know.

Very Happy

Well then, it's between Harley Thompson and Bedwas, nothing to do with Merthyr. So, move along, nothing to see here. Very Happy

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 12 Oct 2016, 7:38 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Oh well, Andy Powell has been forced to retire, this is the only NON WOL I could find:-

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/37614390

All the best Andy, you have been a character. Ale

Updated on the BBC. Depression rather than a injury. Seems to be taking the right steps, all the best to him.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 19 Oct 2016, 10:20 pm

Tonight's cup result;

Cardiff team X beat Cardiff team Y by 36 points to 15.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 31 Oct 2016, 10:10 am

Well, the juggernaut rolls on, an impressive away win at PYS on the weekend. They beat Llanelli 14-35. Yahoo

This comes after us beating Bargoed at their own ground in the Fosters cup.

Also, there are rumours circulating linking us us with the perma tanned one  Gavin Henson, as Stan said in the clubhouse, there is nobody in Welsh rugby that Merthyr cannot afford.

Exciting times ahead.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next