The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Merthyr RFC set to become new force in Welsh Rugby

+12
Pot Hale
Cardiff Dave
True Raven
Irish Londoner
PhilBB
Steffan
mikey_dragon
Stone Motif
RiscaGame
LordDowlais
Luckless Pedestrian
munkian
16 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Merthyr RFC set to become new force in Welsh Rugby - Page 3 Empty Merthyr RFC set to become new force in Welsh Rugby

Post by munkian Mon 5 Sep 2016 - 12:05

First topic message reminder :

Ponty ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Merthyr RFC set to become new force in Welsh Rugby - Page 3 Empty Re: Merthyr RFC set to become new force in Welsh Rugby

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 10:31

When is AWJ signing?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Merthyr RFC set to become new force in Welsh Rugby - Page 3 Empty Re: Merthyr RFC set to become new force in Welsh Rugby

Post by LordDowlais Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 13:04

mikey_dragon wrote:When is AWJ signing?

how are Newport doing mikey. Laugh

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 13:15

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 13:29

mikey_dragon wrote:

Thing is, we could probably afford him. You might jest, but we have the richest owner in the country, and his ambitions are a lot loftier than people would like to believe.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 13:31

So are Merthyr going to be like the Man City of the rugby world?

If LD is representative of their fans, it would appear so

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 13:37

BamBam wrote:So are Merthyr going to be like the Man City of the rugby world?

We are already getting accused of this. Rolling Eyes

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 13:39

LordDowlais wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Thing is, we could probably afford him. You might jest, but we have the richest owner in the country, and his ambitions are a lot loftier than people would like to believe.

So when is he signing? Nobody is off limits for Stan. I bet Mat Giteau is on the wishlist too.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 13:40

Well I'd tone down the gloating and claims of might/juggernaut/being able to afford anyone, then you may not receive those "accusations"

At the moment, they appear completely based on truth

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 13:41

BamBam wrote:Well I'd tone down the gloating and claims of might/juggernaut/being able to afford anyone, then you may not receive those "accusations"

Why does it concern you ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 13:42

mikey_dragon wrote:So when is he signing? Nobody is off limits for Stan. I bet Mat Giteau is on the wishlist too.

Do you think it's a bad thing mikey ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 13:45

BamBam wrote:So are Merthyr going to be like the Man City of the rugby world?

Yep. We all thought it was great news when Merthyr became a team 'on the up' but if LD is like all their fans then it's basically Ponty No2. They were supposedly going to establish better links with the Blues Region but none of that has happened, unless this season is just a one-off so that they can bring in those players into a winning environment.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 13:46

LordDowlais wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:So when is he signing? Nobody is off limits for Stan. I bet Mat Giteau is on the wishlist too.

AWJ playing for Merthyr would be terrible. I believe he should be Wales captain and we need him to be playing regular rugby at the highest level.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 13:46

LordDowlais wrote:

I do, I personally feel that the premiership teams should be feeder teams for the regions and develop young players and not buy over the hill players looking for a last pay cheque like Ponty and now Merthyr are doing. However, I have a region to support and if it was my local club I may feel differently and see wining the Welsh Premiership the main goal.

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 13:49

LordDowlais wrote:
BamBam wrote:Well I'd tone down the gloating and claims of might/juggernaut/being able to afford anyone, then you may not receive those "accusations"

Oh it doesn't, just means you're an even bigger mug than I'd previously thought, which is saying something thumbsup

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 13:52

BamBam wrote:If LD is representative of their fans, it would appear so

Very Happy

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 13:55

True Raven wrote:I do, I personally feel that the premiership teams should be feeder teams for the regions and develop young players and not buy over the hill players looking for a last pay cheque like Ponty and now Merthyr are doing. However, I have a region to support and if it was my local club I may feel differently and see wining the Welsh Premiership the main goal.

OK fine, but for that to work, then it must be a two way street. But Cardiff Blues have said they want nothing to do with anything outside of Cardiff. So how do you think us clubs should do things when it is not a one way street ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 13:55

BamBam wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Oh it doesn't, just means you're an even bigger mug than I'd previously thought, which is saying something thumbsup

picard

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 13:57

mikey_dragon wrote:AWJ playing for Merthyr would be terrible. I believe he should be Wales captain and we need him to be playing regular rugby at the highest level.

I was trying to match your levels of sarcasm mikey, it is blindingly obvious that the players you have mentioned would never be playing in Merthyr. What I am asking is, do you think what Merthyr are doing is a bad thing ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 14:02

LordDowlais wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:AWJ playing for Merthyr would be terrible. I believe he should be Wales captain and we need him to be playing regular rugby at the highest level.

I was trying to match your levels of sarcasm mikey, it is blindingly obvious that the players you have mentioned would never be playing in Merthyr. What I am asking is, do you think what Merthyr are doing is a bad thing ?

No you were actually being serious, and I still can't believe it! To answer this particular question then refer to my post in reply to BamBam.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 14:10

mikey_dragon wrote:To answer this particular question then refer to my post in reply to BamBam

BamBam is clueless, he just come's on here to throw insults around. You and he could make a good double act. I take it you mean this reply:-

mikey_dragon wrote:Yep. We all thought it was great news when Merthyr became a team 'on the up' but if LD is like all their fans then it's basically Ponty No2. They were supposedly going to establish better links with the Blues Region but none of that has happened, unless this season is just a one-off so that they can bring in those players into a winning environment.

If this is it, then I will answer. For a start, you bang on about establishing better links with the Blues region, you do realise that they have openly announced that they want nothing to do with anything outside of Cardiff don't you ? So what would you have the clubs to do ? Just blindly go developing players, at an expense, for Cardiff Blues, with nothing in exchange ? It is a two way street boi bach, and that has been closed at one end by Cardiff Blues.

So I will ask again, do you think what Merthyr are doing is a bad thing ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 14:12

mikey_dragon wrote:No you were actually being serious, and I still can't believe it!

please tell me this is more sarcasm. Laugh

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 14:19

LordDowlais wrote:You do realise that they have openly announced that they want nothing to do with anything outside of Cardiff don't you ?

You've said that twice now. Have you got a link?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 14:20

LordDowlais wrote:
If this is it, then I will answer. For a start, you bang on about establishing better links with the Blues region, you do realise that they have openly announced that they want nothing to do with anything outside of Cardiff don't you ? So what would you have the clubs to do ? Just blindly go developing players, at an expense, for Cardiff Blues, with nothing in exchange ? It is a two way street boi bach, and that has been closed at one end by Cardiff Blues.

So I will ask again, do you think what Merthyr are doing is a bad thing ?

When and where was this announcement, word of mouth around the Wern again? From what I read the whole point of Sir Stan investing in Merthyr was to take Ponty's place as the Blues feeder in the valleys and right now it seems that they're taking their place on more than just that front. My post also alluded to why it would be a bad thing to continue with this, and True Raven also did that in his post.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 14:21

LordDowlais wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:No you were actually being serious, and I still can't believe it!

please tell me this is more sarcasm. Laugh

Hey nobody is off limits, not my words fam.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 14:37

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:You do realise that they have openly announced that they want nothing to do with anything outside of Cardiff don't you ?

Here's a few:-

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/cardiff-blues-stop-providing-players-10432970

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/full-cardiff-blues-interview-caused-10436984

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/cardiff-blues-take-over-cardiff-10987053

Cardiff Blues are now officially a stand alone entity. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 14:53

None of those links show the Blues saying they 'want nothing to do with anything outside of Cardiff'. None of them.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 15:05

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:None of those links show the Blues saying they 'want nothing to do with anything outside of Cardiff'. None of them.

They are now stand alone, they have taken over Cardiff RFC and are not sending any players to any other clubs in the region. There is an interview somewhere with Richard Holland, he announces that they are not going to have anything to do with anybody outside of Cardiff, as soon as I find it I will post it here.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 15:07

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:None of those links show the Blues saying they 'want nothing to do with anything outside of Cardiff'. None of them.

Gotta love The Wern chit-chat. It's becoming as bad as Sardis Road chit-chat!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 15:12

He says they'll actively be looking to bring players through from the clubs in the region if they're good enough. I don't know how that counts as not having anything to do with the clubs.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 15:19

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:He says they'll actively be looking to bring players through from the clubs in the region if they're good enough. I don't know how that counts as not having anything to do with the clubs.

In other words, he will take players developed by the clubs, but he will not be sending anyone back. Like I said, it's a two way street.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 15:30

So based on that alone you're assuming that Cardiff Blues don't want anything to do with Merthyr? That's an incredibly stupid thing to do.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 15:31

But that's not the Blues wanting 'nothing to do with anything outside of Cardiff'. It's really not.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 15:34

When I get time I will find the interview. I will put it on here and you can read it for yourself.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 15:36

I look forward to it. OK

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 15:40

This all I can find for a minute:-

LINKS WITH PREMIERSHIP CLUBS
Historically, we have been servicing the two Premiership clubs in Pontypridd and Cardiff RFC.

Rather than servicing down, we want to permit up if there is talent being generated through Pontypridd and Cardiff.

That makes absolute sense to me and the board will be supporting it.

On a weekly basis, between 15-20 of our players get offered to Pontypridd and Cardiff for selection.

We are under no contractual obligation to supply players.

We are effectively paying players to play for the Premiership clubs and that can’t go on.

When you are providing the large majority of their squads, we can’t afford it.

The Premiership clubs have to become self-sufficient.

The bit in bold is what I am alluding to, and he is correct, we do need to be self sufficient. But if that means we keep hold of our best players, then so be it. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 15:45

That's in one of the links you posted. But I'm still waiting for a link to the article where the Blues 'openly announced that they want nothing to do with anything outside of Cardiff'.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 15:55

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:That's in one of the links you posted. But I'm still waiting for a link to the article where the Blues 'openly announced that they want nothing to do with anything outside of Cardiff'.

I have read it somewhere. I just need to remember where. I was debating with PhillBB on this thread about it as well.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 16:12

Have you tried yourimagination.com?

Run

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 16:19

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Have you tried yourimagination.com?

Run

I know I have read it, something about cutting ties, and looking after themselves.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 16:24

But nothing where they say they want nothing to do with anyone outside Cardiff.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Blues Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 18:32

LordDowlais wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Have you tried yourimagination.com?

Run

I know I have read it, something about cutting ties, and looking after themselves.

Cardiff Blues have never said they want nothing to do with anyone outside of Cardiff. They simply said they could not run a squad 50-60 players and offer most of them out each week to the prem clubs. Ponty and Cardiff have to run their own squads. They still have some players from the blues but not as many due to the smaller squad.

If Cardiff Blues wanted nothing to do with anyone outside of Cardiff then why are they taking B&I cup games to Merthyr and Ponty?

Don Blues

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 19:33

LordDowlais wrote:This all I can find for a minute:-

LINKS WITH PREMIERSHIP CLUBS
Historically, we have been servicing the two Premiership clubs in Pontypridd and Cardiff RFC.

Rather than servicing down, we want to permit up if there is talent being generated through Pontypridd and Cardiff.

That makes absolute sense to me and the board will be supporting it.

On a weekly basis, between 15-20 of our players get offered to Pontypridd and Cardiff for selection.

We are under no contractual obligation to supply players.

We are effectively paying players to play for the Premiership clubs and that can’t go on.

When you are providing the large majority of their squads, we can’t afford it.

The Premiership clubs have to become self-sufficient.

The bit in bold is what I am alluding to, and he is correct, we do need to be self sufficient. But if that means we keep hold of our best players, then so be it. OK

I do wonder whether some DH comments are designed to confuse and keep the waters muddy, but there we are.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 20:07

LordDowlais wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:

Here's a few:-

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/cardiff-blues-stop-providing-players-10432970

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/full-cardiff-blues-interview-caused-10436984

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/cardiff-blues-take-over-cardiff-10987053

Cardiff Blues are now officially a stand alone entity. OK

They always were standalone mun.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 1 Nov 2016 - 3:51

Don Blues wrote:
If Cardiff Blues wanted nothing to do with anyone outside of Cardiff then why are they taking B&I cup games to Merthyr and Ponty?

Good question.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 1 Nov 2016 - 3:54

He did gain three WOL articles clicks though. Good baiting LD.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 2 Nov 2016 - 17:26

I believe it remains the case that standalone Cardiff are running 2 teams; 1 in the Pro12 and 1 in the Welsh Prem plus they also farm out individuals to other clubs such as Ponty and Merthyr. That must equate to a considerable amount of players on the books.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 2 Nov 2016 - 18:25

RiscaGame wrote:

He did gain three WOL articles clicks though. Good baiting LD.

Cardiff related articles too.
Must be difficult to find amongst the wall-to-wall team Wales stuff which dominates from the start of the season to the end. Then there's the summer tour etc.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 3 Nov 2016 - 14:06

I'm shocked to hear Merthyr aren't even top of the league

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 5 Nov 2016 - 0:31

Still not top Shocked

Very lucky Aberavon slipped up last night too.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 5 Nov 2016 - 10:47

RiscaGame wrote:Still not top Shocked

Very lucky Aberavon slipped up last night too.

Nevermind, I'm lead to believe they're still above Newport and that's what matters most to this guy.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next