The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

King of Wales Gavin Henson to play for Wales again?

+9
No 7&1/2
BamBam
yappysnap
True Raven
mikey_dragon
fa0019
Cyril
lostinwales
international198
13 posters

Go down

King of Wales Gavin Henson to play for Wales again? Empty King of Wales Gavin Henson to play for Wales again?

Post by international198 Tue 13 Sep 2016, 10:00 am

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/gavin-henson-plans-play-wales-11871449

“My career isn’t finished yet. I feel I am getting better. Who knows what else could happen? I want to get back to the top. I will never close the door on Wales and I think I can offer something different to what they have at the moment.

"I keep saying I want to play at a World Cup. The next one is 2019 so I will push for that." King of Wales Gavin Henson

international198

Back to top Go down

King of Wales Gavin Henson to play for Wales again? Empty Re: King of Wales Gavin Henson to play for Wales again?

Post by lostinwales Tue 13 Sep 2016, 10:50 am

laughing

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

King of Wales Gavin Henson to play for Wales again? Empty Re: King of Wales Gavin Henson to play for Wales again?

Post by Cyril Tue 13 Sep 2016, 11:00 am

Hopefully the World Cup won't clash with the next series of The Bachelor.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 13 Sep 2016, 11:11 am

perhaps he can expand his horizons long term... once his career is over he can star in benefits street???

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 13 Sep 2016, 12:40 pm

Oh dear, more regurgitating of clickbait BS broken broken broken broken broken broken take a day off FFS.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Sep 2016, 1:24 pm

He was getting some big compliments from Austin Health and (I think) Clive Woodward in commentary during Bristol's game last week. His distribution and defense were great. He didn't play this week against Saints and I think they were much poorer in midfield his absence. I'm not suggesting he's picked by Wales now, but we've definitely been lacking someone like him in the centre who has BOTH defensive qualities and distribution qualities. We've either ended up with the revolving door defensive guy who can distribute well (e.g. Hook) or the guy with superglue hands who goes route 1 every time but can defend really well (e.g. Roberts). It would be nice to find another like Henson who can do both, or even Henson himself if he can put a good season together at this level. I think he's maturing nicely as he gets older, but of course will always be stereotyped for his behavior in his formative years.

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Tue 13 Sep 2016, 6:07 pm

I think Scott Williams offers both but never gets a run of opportunities at 12.  However the performance in NZ hasn't helped

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 13 Sep 2016, 6:20 pm

He easily out performed Jamie Roberts in the opening game of the Prem. Really highlighted just how limited Roberts is if he can't get good ball to run off. Conversely Henson put in a range of passes, kicks and lead the backline well, also helped make his very raw 13 look far better then our academy and Eng U21's player lining up against him.

On the flip side he went off injured in a fairly innocuous challenge. That's really always been the issue with him, he's got the skill but can he stay fit?

Him going off coincided with 2 Quins tries though, one right through the centres.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Sep 2016, 7:09 pm

I read a comment I think on a Western Mail story about Henson, it may even be the one above, they basically said Henson still has his moments of genuine class, but moments are simply not enough to play international rugby these days. I think that's the be all and end all though.

Sad, because I think he had the kind of rugby brain that seemed to give him time on the ball that others simply didn't. The game has changed dramatically in the last 7-10 years, but I think had Henson stuck at it, he would have adapted to the more structured and formulaic game where others like Hook unfortunately didn't. As someone else pointed out, he was neither mentally nor physically up the to rigours of international rugby (at least, the mental rigours off the field): it's a shame he wasn't given the structured support when he was injured, and when he experienced fame. He evidently was someone who was unable to play with anything more than a niggle; not so much because he couldn't play through the pain, but because I don't think he felt comfortable being anything less than absolutely confident in his own ability.

Society has moved on in the last few years, and you hope that were a similar situation to come about again, the player wouldn't be ravaged in the public eye. The stigma around mental health is dissipating, but unfortunately it's too late for Henson. He was let down in the culture he came up in, but equally (and obviously) he let himself down too: you wonder whether he would have listened to the advice had it been there once he'd tumbled down the rabbit hole.

I don't think it's unreasonable to say he was the most complete Welsh player (or at least back) of the professional era. It's too late for a recall now, although if he is ever going to be picked, the Summer Tour whilst the first team is away with the Lions is probably his best chance. Gatland loved him, and gave him ample opportunity. Unfortunately he's probably destined to remain on fewer caps than Ceri Sweeney. I hope he's able to see out the last few years of his playing career (and then onward when he retires) with Bristol and be as happy and successful as he can be, however long it lasts. Might even go down to watch them, just to sort of say you saw George Best just before he retired.

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 13 Sep 2016, 7:15 pm

George Best?

Laugh Laugh you talk some rubbish but you've excelled yourself there

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Sep 2016, 8:07 pm

BamBam wrote:George Best?

Did you think it was a typo? Do you take issue with the comparison? A sporting player with immense talented corrupted by alcohol, fame, and mental illness? Thankfully Henson hasn't gone to the extremes of Best, but the analogy is definitely a fitting one.

Laugh Laugh etc...

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 13 Sep 2016, 9:29 pm

Agree with you there M.

He was a very talented guy, better then Hook but very similar. It as all in the head though, Hooks stuck around and got a fair few caps and a good gig at Glos. Henson met Church and was lead astray.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 14 Sep 2016, 8:28 am

Saw him last year vs Doncaster so I guess I'll be able to claim I saw the living legend! Miles to good for that level but as you say held back for other reasons. I feel a thread coming on for most talented players to never quite fulfill their potential.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Wed 14 Sep 2016, 11:08 am

yappysnap wrote:He easily out performed Jamie Roberts in the opening game of the Prem. Really highlighted just how limited Roberts is if he can't get good ball to run off. Conversely Henson put in a range of passes, kicks and lead the backline well, also helped make his very raw 13 look far better then our academy and Eng U21's player lining up against him.

On the flip side he went off injured in a fairly innocuous challenge. That's really always been the issue with him, he's got the skill but can he stay fit?

Him going off coincided with 2 Quins tries though, one right through the centres.

Henson only played 30 mins so I'm not sure you can say he easily outperformed Roberts. Quins weren't in it in the first half at all and hardly had any ball. I did think Henson played well and looked good with Pisi inside and Hurrell outside. Not defending Roberts though - he seems more one dimensional than ever.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 14 Sep 2016, 11:09 am

miaow wrote:

Did you think it was a typo? Do you take issue with the comparison? A sporting player with immense talented corrupted by alcohol, fame, and mental illness? Thankfully Henson hasn't gone to the extremes of Best, but the analogy is definitely a fitting one.

Laugh Laugh etc...

One of the consensus top 10 footballers of all time vs a man best known for shaving his legs and marrying a famous Welsh bird who could sing

Nope, no issue at all with the comparison

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_501 Thu 15 Sep 2016, 11:18 am

BamBam wrote:
miaow wrote:

Laugh Laugh etc...

One of the consensus top 10 footballers of all time vs a man best known for shaving his legs and marrying a famous Welsh bird who could sing

Nope, no issue at all with the comparison

Don't forget neither have played in a World Cup.......

chris_501

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Thu 15 Sep 2016, 1:07 pm

Flats and Shanks both agreed that Bristols game dipped massively when Henson went off. I would still love to see him playing for Wales. He brings so much to the midfield that Roberts cannot offer. Anyone still referring to reality TV really need to move with the times. He's back playing rugby and back in the top flight so there is no reason to think he couldn't make a claim for the Wales 12 shirt.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Thu 15 Sep 2016, 1:14 pm

chris_501 wrote: Don't forget neither have played in a World Cup.......

To be fair Best played for Northern Ireland in an era when qualification was a lot harder. Henson on the other hand could have been part of several Grand Slam and RWC sides.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down