The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Football Discussion

+32
TwisT
LivinginItaly
alfie
LionsV2
guildfordbat
Fernando
Geordie
Lowlandbrit
BamBam
Afro
Samo
dummy_half
lfc91
whocares
Duty281
Beer
wisden
NickisBHAFC
Ent
Born Slippy
owen10ozzy
Good Golly I'm Olly
Steffan
westisbest
Hammersmith harrier
spencerclarke
compelling and rich
Hero
GSC
Dolphin Ziggler
Atila
Crimey
36 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

International Football Discussion - Page 4 Empty International Football Discussion

Post by Crimey Fri 26 Aug 2016, 3:15 pm

First topic message reminder :

Thierry Henry has been named Belgium's assistant manager. 

Another odd appointment, it makes sense for Henry who didn't want to give up his media duties. Will be interesting to see how he improves Belgium's forwards, if he can rub off any of his playing skill onto them it'd be sure to have an effect. I'm excited to see if he can work well with Origi who is a striker in his mould.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

International Football Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: International Football Discussion

Post by Hero Fri 06 Oct 2017, 7:17 am

Steffan wrote:Ah well. At least you will get further than us this time thumbsup
International Football Discussion - Page 4 22181449_985898021574264_5584996524912717854_o

And that's being optimistic

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

International Football Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: International Football Discussion

Post by Guest Fri 06 Oct 2017, 8:20 am

Argentina are awful, but they need to win their last game away at Ecuador, in order to qualify now. Chile play Brazil, and Peru play Colombia, so it favours Messi & co still.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Fri 06 Oct 2017, 9:19 am

Ecuador lost their last 5 matches.

Argentina should be ok.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Fri 06 Oct 2017, 10:17 am

Scotland did everything right but put the ball in the back of the net last night. A vastly improved performance from when we played them away and if we'd played like that from the start of the qualifying we would have second secured easily - we always make it difficult for ourselves.

I doubt we'll get through a play off if we get one, but Im very optimistic going forward.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 06 Oct 2017, 10:56 am

Olly, you think this team can play like City? Bit early for crack, even if we're getting towards the weekend.

This team can't play with two proper midfielders unless we play three centre backs, and maybe even then

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Fri 06 Oct 2017, 11:12 am

Maybe time for a bit of realism?
Play on the counter attack, hope for the best.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Fri 06 Oct 2017, 11:17 am

I'm trying to think positively on England.

We normally sail through qualifying and then play poorly at tournaments.

Maybe it's the other way around this time.

If you have me poor in qualifying/ good at tournament, I'd take that over the opposite.
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 06 Oct 2017, 11:53 am

Ent wrote:Ecuador lost their last 5 matches.

Argentina should be ok.

Then again, Argentina haven’t won any of their previous three games, and have a pretty shoddy record against Ecuador.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 06 Oct 2017, 11:57 am

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Olly, you think this team can play like City? Bit early for crack, even if we're getting towards the weekend.

This team can't play with two proper midfielders unless we play three centre backs, and maybe even then

Not play like City - use that formation and just go for it. I'd rather see that than us trying and failing to defend and counter attack with 2 DMs
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 06 Oct 2017, 12:23 pm

Continue to pray Wilshere finds the ability to play a run of games, England badly need somebody with speed of thought in midfield.

Henderson is just far too slow processing to be the distributor and driver in midfield, and Dier is doing the holding role. In effect he offers nothing but running around for a bit.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 06 Oct 2017, 12:30 pm

I'd be looking at strengths of width and our attacking trio. Then basing the rest on hard work.

Not sure we can fit all the players we'd like at the top end. Alli would be the luxury I'd have under threat, as Rashford's pace is needed. Sterling isn't starting in my plans (I'll send a PowerPoint to the FA)

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 06 Oct 2017, 12:31 pm

3-4-3 with Dier in defence.

Hendo and Chalobah/Wilshere/Drinkwater maybe. Or Lallana if its teams we should beat and then play Alli too.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 06 Oct 2017, 2:04 pm

Henderson wouldn't start for Slovenia

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Fri 06 Oct 2017, 3:32 pm

Just John wrote:Argentina are awful, but they need to win their last game away at Ecuador, in order to qualify now. Chile play Brazil, and Peru play Colombia, so it favours Messi & co still.
If they don't beat Ecuador they could well end up in 7th though, since Paraguay are a point back and hosting Venezuela.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Fri 06 Oct 2017, 4:11 pm

GSC wrote:Dier is doing the holding role. In effect he offers nothing but running around for a bit.

Sounds almost like a CB playing in midfield, a bit like Southgate was himself
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 06 Oct 2017, 4:20 pm

I was talking about Henderson haha.

GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Fri 06 Oct 2017, 4:21 pm

Laugh Perhaps England and Liverpool are missing the possibility that Henderson is a world class CB in disguise
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 06 Oct 2017, 7:00 pm

Not the best performance but we'll of course take the 3 points from home. Great goal by Lawrence. Not bad for a so called one man team Wales

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 06 Oct 2017, 7:36 pm

Nothing like beating Georgia by a goal to show your brilliance

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 06 Oct 2017, 8:46 pm

Afro wrote:Laugh Perhaps England and Liverpool are missing the possibility that Henderson is a world class CB in disguise

Can't be any worse than Lovren laughing
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 06 Oct 2017, 9:34 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Nothing like beating Georgia by a goal to show your brilliance
England celebrated beating "tough plucky" Slovenia by a very late goal at Wembley...but that's ok yeah?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 06 Oct 2017, 9:38 pm

Poor from Ireland.
All down to Monday.

Dunno if I can see an Irish win sadly.
Don’t think Wales are a better team, we just seem a bit lost for ideas.

Hope I’m wrong.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 06 Oct 2017, 9:42 pm

westisbest wrote:Poor from Ireland.
All down to Monday.

Dunno if I can see an Irish win sadly.
Don’t think Wales are a better team, we just seem a bit lost for ideas.

Hope I’m wrong.
You got the 3 points. That's all that counted. We were poor also. Serbia lost. It all comes down to Monday for the 3 of us

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 06 Oct 2017, 9:46 pm

Can’t see Georgia getting anything in Serbia tbh

Iceland won 3-0 in Istanbul tonight which means if they beat Kosovo at home on Monday they qualify direct for the finals
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 06 Oct 2017, 9:50 pm

I don't know if I can handle Monday to be honest. I was a complete wreck by the end of tonight when we sat back at one point and allowed Georgia to press us. Goodness knows what I'll be like when there are two huge matches going on in the group vomit

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 08 Oct 2017, 12:46 pm

In all the England talk, one name was forgotten: Ross Barkley. He'd probably be perfect to play alongside Henderson in a 3-4-3 team. Get fit, get playing and he's got his best ever chance to secure an England place

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun 08 Oct 2017, 3:30 pm

Also Stefan. If results don’t go out way later a win tomorrow will be irrelevant for us.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Oct 2017, 4:47 pm

---------------------Butland-------------------
------------Keane--Stones--Maguire---------
Trippier--------------------------------Cresswell
----------------Winks---Henderson-------------
-----------------------Alli------------------------
-----------------Kane--Rashford---------------

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Sun 08 Oct 2017, 7:23 pm

It the hope that hurts the hardest.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 08 Oct 2017, 7:38 pm

Momentum for Scotland to build on despite the finish. Probably doesn't feel great now but theres hope that hasn't been there for a while.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Sun 08 Oct 2017, 8:24 pm

GSC wrote:Momentum for Scotland to build on despite the finish. Probably doesn't feel great now but theres hope that hasn't been there for a while.

Absolutely. 11 points from 15 and unbeaten in 2017 is a great turnaround to the 2016 we had. Strachan turned it around and proved to me he's still the man for the job. If it werent for that pesky Harry Kane...

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 08 Oct 2017, 8:46 pm

Strachan may have saved his job with the way they finished, although questions to be asked after being a goal up against a team with nothing to play for and not getting the win required.

England do nothing. Henderson is only going to keep his place if Dier becomes a centre back as he's not good enough to be using the ball in a 3-4-3

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 09 Oct 2017, 2:50 pm

That was like watching paint dry last night.

My biggest gripe....you have a player in Harry Kane who is on fire...scoring goals for fun.
How many crosses etc did we put in to the box? You have to give these players decent ball. And its not a lack of skilled players. Its about instructing players to do that!

So frustrating.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Oct 2017, 7:45 pm

Amazing National Anthem by the welsh. I'm a red tonight.

Be a shame if this group don't make a World Cup. Sorry Westy Hug

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 09 Oct 2017, 9:02 pm

1-0 Ireland.

Wales have a half hour to find an answer
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 09 Oct 2017, 9:22 pm

Croatia now 2-0 up so Wales must win to seal a playoff spot
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 09 Oct 2017, 9:30 pm

Wales need something special, Ireland have parked the bus.

One might bring two though...
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Oct 2017, 9:42 pm

They'll probably get Italy...

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 09 Oct 2017, 9:44 pm

All over and Ireland knock Wales out and secure a play off place. Absolute smash and grab
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 09 Oct 2017, 9:52 pm

GSC wrote:Wales need something special, Ireland have parked the bus.

From what I've been told, they don't need him at all.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 09 Oct 2017, 10:03 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:
GSC wrote:Wales need something special, Ireland have parked the bus.

From what I've been told, they don't need him at all.

Not a one man team I’d heard
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 09 Oct 2017, 10:18 pm

FreekShow wrote:Amazing National Anthem by the welsh.

Unfortunately that was as good as it got for Wales. Deliriously bad from start to finish.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 09 Oct 2017, 10:22 pm

They weren't bad, just naive.

Played the game Ireland wanted them to and got suckered right in.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Oct 2017, 10:33 pm

I wanna distance myself from all the Steffan baiting.

I spent many a summer at Barry Island as a kid and snogged my first pig there. Wales has been good to me.

I have no dog in this fight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 09 Oct 2017, 10:37 pm

I just want a #wessiworldcup before the #westimonial next summer
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Oct 2017, 10:39 pm

Gonna be a real #Westival of football with the Irish there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Oct 2017, 10:57 pm

Italy, Croatia, Portugal/Switzerland & Denmark seeds. Doubt the Irish make it, unless one of them draws Denmark.

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 10 Oct 2017, 8:50 pm

Not a great game but we got the win.

Still the play offs to go
Not a great side but we have great team spirit.

We’re close now.
Hopefully we can do the job.

No bother freek OK guinness

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Oct 2017, 8:00 am

Argentina qualify for WC, thanks to a Lionel Messi hat-trick. They join Brazil, Uruguay & Colombia. Peru face a playoff vs New Zealand.

Alexis Sanchez won't be at the World Cup after Chile were beaten 3-0 by Brazil

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 11 Oct 2017, 10:51 am

Talking to some lads about a best 11 never to play in a World Cup

Giggs.
Bale (so far)

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next