The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread

+9
Seagultaf
PhilBB
Luckless Pedestrian
LordDowlais
ScarletSpiderman
bedfordwelsh
Stone Motif
RiscaGame
munkian
13 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread - Page 3 Empty Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread

Post by munkian Wed 13 Jul 2016, 12:27 pm

First topic message reminder :

Blues away Boxing Day, Gyppos at the Dave on New Years Day
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 01 Aug 2016, 9:09 pm

GavinDragon wrote:MD sounds good to me. I will be in the marquee before and after most games this season. Ale Ale Ale

Do you go over the hazel terrace to watch it? I'll be over there more likely, might even be given a free ticket here and there as well Yahoo.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 01 Aug 2016, 9:20 pm

ST's are in the Hazell Stand. I usually have the wife and nipper with me, but as I said I will be in the marquee before and after most games, probably doing the raffle for the supporters club.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 01 Aug 2016, 9:50 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:

Agreed. A risk. I am only basing it on his physique and what I saw in the brief spell vs Nottingham last season. Big unit, but may not make the grade. I am looking forward to seeing how he goes.

He has the build to be Gough/BBBD type, you need Hill or Screech starting as the main line out jumper though.

If Joe Davies is that good then I'd shift one of those to blindside, or.... How are Evans, Crosswell and Thomas in the lineout jumper department? I think we're pretty well covered in back-row. It seems a few people don't rate Ed Jackson but from what I seen of him he's very good.

Gavin next season I have the opportunity to attend a few more games...when I'm not working weekends. And it could be 2 weekends with one Saturday per month....not ideal but I get a top-up for doing so. If we're around I'll have to catch up with you over a pint of diet lemonade.

And ditch Landman? Had a quieter second season but arguably our best forward now. Not sure any of the back rows would I'm pet as a middle jumper either.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 01 Aug 2016, 9:57 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
munkian wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Anyway, speaking of the 2016/17 season, I'm looking forward to seeing Sam Beard play. Not a big-name signing (are any of our signings big-name signings?) but Edinburgh fans had only good things to say about him.

Forwards we need not backs but yeah, he seems like he has good potential

Outside of the 10 jersey I think we have some good cover in the backs. Don't we still have the midfield that played most of last season available? Hughes and....
I also hope guys like Dixon, Morgan, Amos, Hewitt and Meyer get the opportunity to play a few games together - it's an exciting backline. Anyone believe that McCleod might get the nod at fly-half through being the most experienced guy?

I picked Warren in my starting xv and McLeod on the bench in the hope he can provide some control. It's a talented but still very young back line. I'd probably rotate Warren/Morgan and Dixon/Howard. Harsh on Hughes but Tyler will disappear on Wales duty for part of the season. In fact the post above and thinking about Hughes makes me wonder if a list of squad filler of pro12 standard is more relevant than our best xv.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 02 Aug 2016, 8:09 am

Stone Motif wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:

Agreed. A risk. I am only basing it on his physique and what I saw in the brief spell vs Nottingham last season. Big unit, but may not make the grade. I am looking forward to seeing how he goes.

He has the build to be Gough/BBBD type, you need Hill or Screech starting as the main line out jumper though.

If Joe Davies is that good then I'd shift one of those to blindside, or.... How are Evans, Crosswell and Thomas in the lineout jumper department? I think we're pretty well covered in back-row. It seems a few people don't rate Ed Jackson but from what I seen of him he's very good.

Gavin next season I have the opportunity to attend a few more games...when I'm not working weekends. And it could be 2 weekends with one Saturday per month....not ideal but I get a top-up for doing so. If we're around I'll have to catch up with you over a pint of diet lemonade.

And ditch Landman? Had a quieter second season but arguably our best forward now. Not sure any of the back rows would  I'm pet as a middle jumper either.

No, where did I suggest that? Davies (if he's any good) to partner Landman is what I had in mind. If they can't then we might need to shift someone like Screech to 6, which would be harsh on our blindsides who each play pretty well. 

Is James Thomas fit for purpose yet? He looked promising.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Tue 02 Aug 2016, 9:07 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:

And ditch Landman? Had a quieter second season but arguably our best forward now. Not sure any of the back rows would  I'm pet as a middle jumper either.

No, where did I suggest that? Davies (if he's any good) to partner Landman is what I had in mind. If they can't then we might need to shift someone like Screech to 6, which would be harsh on our blindsides who each play pretty well. 

Is James Thomas fit for purpose yet? He looked promising.

Ah right. TBH putting Screech to blindside is almost as bizarre as dropping Landman, I'd say 6 was one of only a few positions where we have any competent depth - Thomas (if he gets back to form), Crosswell, Evans...
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 02 Aug 2016, 9:57 am

Thomas, Evans and Crosswell are all lineout options too. Griffiths/Cudd can also be lifted.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Tue 02 Aug 2016, 10:23 am

GavinDragon wrote:Thomas, Evans and Crosswell are all lineout options too. Griffiths/Cudd can also be lifted.

Not confident in any of those jumping against anyone half decent, Thomad maybe...and taking Griffiths or Cudd out of any play off the set piece for their limited impact at a line out seems like a poor trade off
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 02 Aug 2016, 10:46 am

Landman has to be captain this season too. No more of this has to be a Welsh captain, narrow minded nonsense.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 02 Aug 2016, 11:04 am

Stone Motif wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:Thomas, Evans and Crosswell are all lineout options too. Griffiths/Cudd can also be lifted.

Not confident in any of those jumping against anyone half decent, Thomad maybe...and taking Griffiths or Cudd out of any play off the set piece for their limited impact at a line out seems like a poor trade off

Take the point taking them away from the loose play. Lighter jumpers and quicker lifting, along with a quick throw, can secure quick ball if we are against bigger, heavier packs. Plus most defensive lineouts focus on the two locks anyway.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 02 Aug 2016, 11:28 am

RiscaGame wrote:Landman has to be captain this season too. No more of this has to be a Welsh captain, narrow minded nonsense.

His senseless red card didn't help his case though I agree he is a leader.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 02 Aug 2016, 1:42 pm

He is probably the only person guaranteed a start. I would have him as captain.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 02 Aug 2016, 1:52 pm

munkian wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:Landman has to be captain this season too. No more of this has to be a Welsh captain, narrow minded nonsense.

Wasn't that the season before last? I'm sure he can be forgiven now, seeing as it's (as far as I recall) his only misdemeanour since he's been here.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 02 Aug 2016, 3:23 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
munkian wrote:

Wasn't that the season before last? I'm sure he can be forgiven now, seeing as it's (as far as I recall) his only misdemeanour since he's been here.

They all seem to roll into one Shocked

Quite right, and yeah - I agree - should be Captain.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3