The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Every Joshua Fight Now Be PPV?

+3
BoxingFan88
Guest82
Pedro147
7 posters

Go down

Will Every Joshua Fight Now Be PPV? Empty Will Every Joshua Fight Now Be PPV?

Post by Pedro147 Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:01 pm

Just reading the article below and in my opinion you'll only see Joshua fight going forward if you're willing to pay PPV barring a David Price type chin revelation.....

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/how-much-does-an-anthony-joshua-fight-generate/

THE Anthony Joshua juggernaut rolls on. On Saturday night, in front of 20,000 roaring fans, Joshua cooly dismantled America’s Dominic Breazeale over seven rounds. For a boxer who is, let’s remember, only 17 fights into his professional experience, he’s doing the business in the ring. And he’s doing real business outside the ropes.

As well as selling out the O2 arena, his fights since boxing Dillian Whyte in December 2015 have been on pay-per-view. If he’s watched by around 500,000 households, that generates around £8.5 million. The gate at the O2, we’re told, raises about £3 million and on top of that will be money from international television and sponsorship.

Joshua himself clearly appeals to big companies. Under Armour, Lucozade and Beats for example were prominent during this fight week. Those are major brands and major endorsements infrequently associated with British boxing. “You could say [an Anthony Joshua fight generates] 13, 14, 15 million pounds,” promoter Eddie Hearn told Boxing News. That would be money generated by the event as a whole, to be shared amongst the relevant players. “That’s revenue, you’ve got to take out Breazeale, Sky – we [Matchroom promotions] don’t get £16.95 and 20 percent of that is VAT by the way, so it’s £14 net. He’s in a position now, there’s not many fighters that earn the kind of money that Joshua does and there’s a very select club and that club is Pacquiao, Mayweather, Canelo and Joshua. Basically that’s it. I’m talking multi-millions every time they fight. Whereas the others are earning ones and so forth. But away from that is the endorsement side also, there’s no fighter that is earning what he’s earning via endorsements.”

But the promoter added, “He don’t even really think about it. This is a guy who’s got millions in the bank and basically lives with his mum in a flat in north London. The mentality is brilliant. And that’s why I’m so confident in him. I said to him after this fight, go away and just be a young man. Everything is just regime, regime, appearances, sponsorship days… That’s one of my fears about this fight particularly, that he hasn’t had that rest. Camp has been hard. He has been very tired and it hasn’t been perfect but he’s a pro. The problem is after the Charles Martin fight, he didn’t train for four or five weeks, but he had sponsorship requests, award ceremonies, up and down the country, internationally all the time. So by the time he started his camp he was shattered. It’s been hard graft. The plan now is, four or five weeks, just do nothing. Just go and enjoy yourself.”

Joshua isn’t expected to fight again until early November. It could be New Zealand’s Joseph Parker who occupies the mandatory position to challenge Joshua. “Our mandatory I think won’t be called until November 20, he could have a voluntary or we could have the mandatory and fight Parker,” Hearn continued. “It’s a good fight, you’ve got a young hungry heavyweight, a good heavyweight who can punch. I think it’s a good fight.”

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Will Every Joshua Fight Now Be PPV? Empty Re: Will Every Joshua Fight Now Be PPV?

Post by Guest Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:20 pm

Eddie wants a diamond encrusted Ferrari so yeah, PPV all the way. If he puts on good undercards and AJ's opposition is good quality though, then people will be happy/happier to pay for it but they do need to get value for money.

Back to top Go down

Will Every Joshua Fight Now Be PPV? Empty Re: Will Every Joshua Fight Now Be PPV?

Post by Guest82 Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:46 pm

I paid for the last PPV, but it's strange really because I was more interested in watching Groves v Murray and I probably wouldn't have paid for that.

My own stupid fault really.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:00 pm

People want entertainment and are prepared to apy through the nose for it. It's all subjective as the David Haye "Haye Day" shows. Some people are happy to pay for that cr*p. Me, I'd only watch it if they beat a "celebrity" to death every half hour

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:15 am

Depends on the card, didn't pay for the last one

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:56 pm

Yes all his fights will be ppv.

For me to watch them, it will need to be someone interesting and a decent undercard... When you know the main event might last 20 seconds you do need a decent undercard. I haven't bought the last three. But why would Eddie care about little old me when plenty will part with their cash a little easier.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:50 am

Obvious answer is yes if people keep buying it..

Didn't buy this one or the Martin one...

But can't blame Hearn because mugs-a-plenty abound..

Boxing is a business first..Sport later..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:57 am

Yes. In order to pay Joshua he needs PPV receipts.

Incredibly popular who seems to have crossed over.

I just catch his KOs on a Vine posted to social media the next day.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by rover and under Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:16 am

Sky Sports App pretty much show all of Joshua's fights as soon as they are over anyway. Against Brezeale we didn't actually see a hell of a lot of action until the KO. Just get the free app and wait a week to see the full fight on demand

rover and under

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down