The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ebbw Vale smash Pontypridd AGAIN

+10
True Raven
bedfordwelsh
Luckless Pedestrian
Steffan
Stone Motif
LordDowlais
PhilBB
munkian
Coleman
mikey_dragon
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ebbw Vale smash Pontypridd AGAIN  Empty Ebbw Vale smash Pontypridd AGAIN

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 15 May 2016, 5:05 pm

38-12 to the new champions Ebbw Vale. Great to see a new champ and even better that it's a Gwent club. Ebbw are certainly a team to be admired having come up from division 1 not so long ago. Now let's congratulate Ebbw and laugh at Ponty and their fans, the worst bunch in world rugby.

*http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/36290508

Last edited by mikey_dragon on Sun 15 May 2016, 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Ebbw Vale smash Pontypridd AGAIN  Empty Re: Ebbw Vale smash Pontypridd AGAIN

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 15 May 2016, 5:07 pm

And a shout out to Bedford, who must still be at Sardis Road living it up with his fellow fans. I'm sinking a desperado for you right now pal.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Sun 15 May 2016, 5:24 pm

RGC Won yesterday as well. They come up to the Prem instead of Pooler.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 15 May 2016, 5:38 pm

Yeah I did hear. There's been a bit of crying over that, but it's the way it is. Great news that North Wales have a team in the premiership.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 15 May 2016, 6:21 pm

PhilBB if you read this, you re-tweeted me at approx. 17:52. Now you know my identity.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 16 May 2016, 8:28 am

Poor dabs Sad
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Mon 16 May 2016, 8:32 am

mikey_dragon wrote:PhilBB if you read this, you re-tweeted me at approx. 17:52. Now you know my identity.

What was the tweet about? I retweeted loads yesterday but I'll see if I can work it out.

As for the result, wasn't it marvellous?
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 16 May 2016, 10:16 am

PhilBB wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:PhilBB if you read this, you re-tweeted me at approx. 17:52. Now you know my identity.

What was the tweet about? I retweeted loads yesterday but I'll see if I can work it out.

As for the result, wasn't it marvellous?

Something along the lines of "unlucky ponty, you're nothing without Cardiff Blues academy players, etc." It was a WUM, nobody bit though Sad.

Yes it was a great result for Welsh rugby as well as Ebbw as far as I'm concerned. Ponty will certainly lose their dominance over this competition for the next few years whilst the Gwent clubs should get stronger. I also believe Cardiff and Merthyr RFC will get stronger as the regions' resources will be focused here.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 16 May 2016, 10:40 am

SUFTMOG Very Happy
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Mon 16 May 2016, 10:42 am

mikey_dragon wrote:

Something along the lines of "unlucky ponty, you're nothing without Cardiff Blues academy players, etc." It was a WUM, nobody bit though Sad.

Yes it was a great result for Welsh rugby as well as Ebbw as far as I'm concerned. Ponty will certainly lose their dominance over this competition for the next few years whilst the Gwent clubs should get stronger. I also believe Cardiff and Merthyr RFC will get stronger as the regions' resources will be focused here.

Ah, I'll have a look.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out in the future. Pontypridd have signed older players like Wayne Evans, Dicomidis and (I think) Darren Waters. They seem happy to fill up with 25+ year olds who want some pocket money for playing rugby after their pro careers have finished. That's a fine strategy if those players stay fit.

I watched the game yesterday and thought that Geraint Walsh looked a good player at that level. And then I remembered him when he stepped up to the pro game and there can be no better (well, maybe Dicomidis) example of the enormous (and growing) gulf between the two standards.

I think that Merthyr are signing up a lot of the ex-Academy players that previously (like Hemi Barnes and Jake Thomas) would have gone to Pontypridd. That's going to stem another flow of players into Pontypridd, which isn't good news for them.

The Rags will be an interesting watch.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 16 May 2016, 10:45 am

Sorry, are 'the rags' Cardiff RFC's 'seconds' team below the Welsh premiership ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Mon 16 May 2016, 10:49 am

munkian wrote:Sorry, are 'the rags' Cardiff RFC's 'seconds' team below the Welsh premiership ?

The Rags are Cardiff RFC who play in the WP. The club's second team.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 16 May 2016, 10:51 am

PhilBB wrote:
munkian wrote:Sorry, are 'the rags' Cardiff RFC's 'seconds' team below the Welsh premiership ?

The Rags are Cardiff RFC who play in the WP. The club's second team.

Got you, though they had another team then too which seemed daft.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 16 May 2016, 11:29 am

This game was a better game to watch than both the European finals.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Mon 16 May 2016, 11:39 am

LordDowlais wrote:This game was a better game to watch than both the European finals.

Now that's a claim.

I think that we're seeing a trend across the sport in which many prefer the slapstick lower standards of the community game over the chess like professional game.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 16 May 2016, 11:48 am

PhilBB wrote:prefer the slapstick lower standards of the community game over the chess like professional game.

Rugby is not chess, they are two different sports. Also, I would not say the game yesterday was slapstick. Ebbw Vale were excellent, they played some very good rugby and they mixed it up as well, with some good forward play along with some slick backs moves.

I think you are being very disrespectful to the teams playing in that game yesterday. It was a cracker.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Mon 16 May 2016, 11:54 am

LordDowlais wrote:
PhilBB wrote:prefer the slapstick lower standards of the community game over the chess like professional game.

Rugby is not chess, they are two different sports. Also, I would not say the game yesterday was slapstick. Ebbw Vale were excellent, they played some very good rugby and they mixed it up as well, with some good forward play along with some slick backs moves.

I think you are being very disrespectful to the teams playing in that game yesterday. It was a cracker.

That's why I wrote 'chess like'.

The standard of play yesterday was low in comparison with the pro game. That's obvious. It makes for a version of entertainment if you don't like rugby played with patterns, organisation, defensive alignment and correct decision making.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 16 May 2016, 12:13 pm

PhilBB wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Ah, I'll have a look.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out in the future. Pontypridd have signed older players like Wayne Evans, Dicomidis and (I think) Darren Waters. They seem happy to fill up with 25+ year olds who want some pocket money for playing rugby after their pro careers have finished. That's a fine strategy if those players stay fit.

I watched the game yesterday and thought that Geraint Walsh looked a good player at that level. And then I remembered him when he stepped up to the pro game and there can be no better (well, maybe Dicomidis) example of the enormous (and growing) gulf between the two standards.

I think that Merthyr are signing up a lot of the ex-Academy players that previously (like Hemi Barnes and Jake Thomas) would have gone to Pontypridd. That's going to stem another flow of players into Pontypridd, which isn't good news for them.

The Rags will be an interesting watch.

Ponty have always signed older players and their local guys, evidently it's worked well for them in past. I'm not sure how supplemented they were by professional and academy players, my guess is that they were supplemented fairly well, but now they find themselves being less supplemented as the months and seasons go by. They always bit the hand that fed and now here we are, Ponty are on a downward spiral.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Mon 16 May 2016, 12:24 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
Ponty have always signed older players and their local guys, evidently it's worked well for them in past. I'm not sure how supplemented they were by professional and academy players, my guess is that they were supplemented fairly well, but now they find themselves being less supplemented as the months and seasons go by. They always bit the hand that fed and now here we are, Ponty are on a downward spiral.

They have been hugely supplemented in the past but, thankfully, Wilson now seems to be stopping that.

I think it's a bit early to predict a downward spiral but the average age of their starting players on Sunday was 27.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 16 May 2016, 12:28 pm

In the past haven't Ponty beat all and sundry, going unbeaten or losing just one game in a season? Those were in fairly recent times, I think. In that regard I would say Ponty are on a downward spiral. They will still be a good WP team next season there's no doubt about that, but they won't be dominating and not for a long time (if ever again).

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 16 May 2016, 12:48 pm

LordDowlais wrote:This game was a better game to watch than both the European finals.

This is surely a WUM from Bowelais, who has nothing but disgust for teams 'that don't turn up'. Ponty ship 30 barely-answered points and somehow it's a cracker....
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Mon 16 May 2016, 12:59 pm

Stone Motif wrote:

This is surely a WUM from Bowelais, who has nothing but disgust for teams 'that don't turn up'.  Ponty ship 30 barely-answered points and somehow it's a cracker....

Trolls cannot be consistent
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 16 May 2016, 1:30 pm

I was at the game. Ponty were terrible and deserved to be stuffed Laugh

Well done Ebbw though. The fans were a good crack. Probably the last time I see Ponty play for a while as moving abroad in September

Shame after winning the league they couldn't put in a decent playoff performance. Quite baffled by it to be honest. Ah well...it could worse...I could be a Newpert Gwent Monmouthshire Cross Keys supporter Yahoo

Anyway...I'm defecting to Real Madrid next season. If I can get a ticket that is.Yipeeeeeeee

Regards

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 16 May 2016, 2:10 pm

Steffan wrote:Shame after winning the league they couldn't put in a decent playoff performance.

Ah, so Ponty were the real winners because they topped the league before the playoffs. Sorry, but it doesn't work like that.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 16 May 2016, 3:52 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
Steffan wrote:Shame after winning the league they couldn't put in a decent playoff performance.

Ah, so Ponty were the real winners because they topped the league before the playoffs. Sorry, but it doesn't work like that.
The point I was trying to make is that after finishing above all the other teams, it's a a bit bonkers how Ponty played so pathetic in the final. I know the rules as did Ponty. Good effort though Wink

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 16 May 2016, 3:58 pm

If you know the rules, why say that Ponty won the league?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 16 May 2016, 4:01 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:If you know the rules, why say that Ponty won the league?
You fell for it Yahoo

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 16 May 2016, 4:02 pm

I probably shouldn't ask, but what exactly did I fall for?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 16 May 2016, 4:06 pm

Anyway. I best leave here. Got a funeral to go to tomorrow. He was a big Ponty fan by the way. Good riddance to a Ponty fan I bet you all think. Says a lot about you guys hey...

Well done to Ebbw winning the league. Good crack with the supporters yesterday. As real rugby should be

Regards

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 16 May 2016, 5:49 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:And a shout out to Bedford, who must still be at Sardis Road living it up with his fellow fans. I'm sinking a desperado for you right now pal.

Cheers Mikey

It was a mad rush home Saturday evening after managing to wangle today off, it was a very slow drive home to Bedford today with a few coffee stops. It was a cracking day out yesterday, some of the Ponty fans point blank refused to believe that it was going to be anything bar a Ponty win and why did Ebbw even bother turning up etc as there was no way they were going to end the season without anything.

That said after the game they were on the whole gracious in defeat. The game started off with Ponty on the front foot and I did think we were in for a long day but after that and the scrum aside we were dominant in every facet.

Our lineout and driving maul work was outstanding all day and we took our chances very well. Sweet, Kynes and Langdon had fantastic games and Hudd was his usual aggressive self.

Well Done Boys cracking day cracking atmosphere and a heavy night was had.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 16 May 2016, 5:55 pm

PhilBB wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

That's why I wrote 'chess like'.

The standard of play yesterday was low in comparison with the pro game. That's obvious. It makes for a version of entertainment if you don't like rugby played with patterns, organisation, defensive alignment and correct decision making.

Not for the entire game it wasn't there were patches were some of the play was poor but some of the skill on show and the pace it was played at was very high indeed.

Sometimes the final execution was what let both teams down but that happens at the highest level as well
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Mon 16 May 2016, 6:05 pm

Steffan wrote:Anyway. I best leave here. Got a funeral to go to tomorrow. He was a big Ponty fan by the way. Good riddance to a Ponty fan I bet you all think. Says a lot about you guys hey...

Well done to Ebbw winning the league. Good crack with the supporters yesterday. As real rugby should be

Regards

It actually says a lot about you that you're twisted enough to assume people think that

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 16 May 2016, 6:52 pm

True Raven wrote:
Steffan wrote:Anyway. I best leave here. Got a funeral to go to tomorrow. He was a big Ponty fan by the way. Good riddance to a Ponty fan I bet you all think. Says a lot about you guys hey...

Regards

It actually says a lot about you that you're twisted enough to assume people think that

Absolutely.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 16 May 2016, 9:10 pm

Regards

What total utter bollards. Whilst we all slate each on here and sometimes goes a bit far the fact that you think that of people says more about you than the rest of us sadly.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 16 May 2016, 9:16 pm

Regards

You dozy twonk Steff. Best admit you've been a silly sod I reckon.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 16 May 2016, 9:20 pm

A massive set back for the Blues region.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 16 May 2016, 9:33 pm

Whole match repeated on S4C tonight at 10pm.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 16 May 2016, 10:31 pm

Sweeney's banjo clearly out of tune.
Can't find the cow, let alone its @rse.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 16 May 2016, 10:57 pm

Ponty 0-14 Ebbw HT.
Two tries and two convos I think. Thought the last convo was missed though. Better check with Rick O'Shea.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 17 May 2016, 9:20 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:Whole match repeated on S4C tonight at 10pm.

Did we still SMASH em in the re run to dave? Smile
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Tue 17 May 2016, 9:48 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:
Not for the entire game it wasn't there were patches were some of the play was poor but some of the skill on show and the pace it was played at was very high indeed.

Sometimes the final execution was what let both teams down but that happens at the highest level as well

Completely disagree. Each faction of the game was well below the standard of the pro game, from organisational play to individual skill levels.

PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 17 May 2016, 11:07 pm

PhilBB wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:

Completely disagree. Each faction of the game was well below the standard of the pro game, from organisational play to individual skill levels.

Still fun to watch though.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Wed 18 May 2016, 6:25 am

Congrats BW and to all at Ebbw Vale. Was an exciting match to watch played at a frenetic pace! I echo MD's comments; it is good to see the league won by a well run, community Gwent club.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 19 May 2016, 9:27 pm

GavinDragon wrote:Congrats BW and to all at Ebbw Vale. Was an exciting match to watch played at a frenetic pace! I echo MD's comments; it is good to see the league won by a well run, community Gwent club.

Cheers GD, was a great day and great to finally get over the line as even in the days before the Regions were managed a few semi finals and a final but always fell at last hurdle. There are some really good players coming through again and I hope the Dragons have a look at some of them from time to time.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Mon 23 May 2016, 4:21 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
Cheers GD, was a great day and great to finally get over the line as even in the days before the Regions were managed a few semi finals and a final but always fell at last hurdle.  There are some really good players coming through again and I hope the Dragons have a look at some of them from time to time.  

Couple of questions:

a) who are you thinking of as 'coming through'?
b) Why only the NGD to have a look at them?
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 26 May 2016, 12:22 pm

They're in our region so should be the NGD priority. That won't stop them getting poached by the west wales teams first though I guess.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Thu 26 May 2016, 12:50 pm

I think other than Keddie, none will make the step up if I am honest. Saw both Sweet and Jones play for the A side in the BIC and neither particularly impressed. That being said it is probably hard to in a scratch side.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 26 May 2016, 1:22 pm

Maybe not soon, but in the future there could be more. Some slip through net and reappear years down the line.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Thu 26 May 2016, 1:32 pm

Absolutely agree. The key is to make the premiership as competitive as possible and to raise the standard as much as possible (if the regions are not going to run fully pro A sides).

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 26 May 2016, 1:34 pm

They're going to, aren't they? If we do have A teams I feel that the premiership should be invested in regardless.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next