The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Masters - Never Mind The Width, Feel The Quality: Notes from the Ballwasher

+33
sportform
John Cregan
4putt
Good Golly I'm Olly
owen10ozzy
NedB-H
Jermaine2015
JAS
Hero
Mad for Chelsea
Nay
beninho
Snap Hook
Davie
Hibbz
1GrumpyGolfer
Shotrock
pedro
sirbenson
McLaren
MontysMerkin
SmithersJones
raycastleunited
Scottrf
Roller_Coaster
skiddy
GPB
super_realist
Bob_the_Job
hend085
LadyPutt
I'm never wrong
kwinigolfer
37 posters

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters - Never Mind The Width, Feel The Quality: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 12 Empty PGA Tour: The Masters - Never Mind The Width, Feel The Quality: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 05 Apr 2016, 3:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

(One of our regular golf posters frequently writes amazing articles on the major events going on in the golfing world. v2 poster McLaren has suggested that as The Masters is underway, that you might all want to share in the debate - Enjoy!
Adam D)

Kwinigolfer wrote:

1).When has there ever been a Masters when so many top golfers came to Augusta at the peak of their form, or very close to it? The field of 89 may be the smallest for 14 years, and at least 20 amateurs or ceremonial entrants are irrelevant, but cases could easily be made for dozens of others, strong cases for at least a dozen.

2).I watched an old BBC documentary last night about the music and life of the great Ronnie Lane, and Kenney Jones came up with an especially bon mot that surely also seems to apply to writers talking about The Masters. Talking about speaking by phone to a dying Ronnie in Colorado, Kenney said words to the effect of:
"Ronnie, I know you can't talk to me so I'm going to ask questions that I think you'd ask me, and then I'll answer them." Brilliant. Apparently Ronnie was lying there in hysterics!
But isn't that just like writers, and especially "tourists" from other sports, regurgitating the same old stories about the same old stars? The same old Rory this, Jordan that, Jason the other, rhetorical crap??

3).First, the field. Should it be even smaller, eliminating the seniors and amateurs? Not in my book, with some caveats. Some of the amateur qualifications might seem a tad/lot contrived, but I like the Past Champion exemption, so long as there's some performance criteria attached - even if it's five strikes (missed cuts in a row) and you're out. Celebrating Past Champions is part of the appeal to the "patrons"; this year's Rounds 1 & 2 will be a lovefest for Tom Watson. Perhaps O'Meara and Mize, Lyle and Woosie will stay at home soon but you can see the likes of Couples, Langer and Vijay playing until they get kicked out.
Next year the 2016 Olympic winner will also be exempt, as he will be for all four Majors.

4).Who would you include in the Field to make it more competitive? I would say Pieters has a strong case, but he's about the only one. Aussie Open Champ Matt Jones should be there, and he would have been if he hadn't pretty much tanked the past few months, so no sympathy there. Any others?

5).Unluckiest guy not to be competing is surely David Clark. Carried Adam Scott's bag to his most successful run for two or three years but shoved aside for Steve Williams in the Majors.

6).Who do you fancy? I'll look beyond the Top Three. Just something about Jason Day but wouldn't be shocked if he ran away like Spieth did last year.
Spieth doesn't seem quite at ease with his game and would be surprised if he wins here again, this year anyway.
And Rory (hole in one on #16 yesterday!) seems a bit Sergio-like right now; just when he looks like he's moving into top gear, he hits a mental speed bump of sorts, plus his putting has been unconvincing, to say the least. His stroke looks OK so does he just have trouble reading greens, even with that laser surgery?

7).Continental Europe hasn't seen a Masters winner for almost twenty years and I can't see that changing, much as I'd like to see Stenson win the Major he perhaps deserves. The head-cover is coming off Henrik's driver this week so that's a welcome(?) tactical switch.
And GB&I are lacking convincing form, tho' Casey and Rose seem to reserve some of their best weeks for Augusta.
The Asian contingent could surprise but question marks against their best players persist: Matsuyma's putting, Ben An's neck (he reckons he hasn't hit full shots since w/d'ing from his WGC Match vs Cabrera Bello).

8).Branden Grace had a fabulous season last year, but he's missed his past two Masters cuts and doesn't seem to be in top form just yet. But Oosthuizen and Schwartzel have been flying and both seem great each way bets.
Interesting that Phil Mickelson has overtaken Woods as leading Masters money winner; can Phil's chances ever be dismissed here? In decent form all year and certainly in my top five, along with Bubba. Rickie Fowler is a popular choice in the US media but I'll look past him and prefer Dustin Johnson and Snedeker as well as Bubba among the Americans. (No American under the age of 35 has won a PGA Tournament since Spieth three months ago in Hawaii, other than Finau in the opposite field event anyhow.)

9).Which leaves Adam Scott; one month ago no-one was playing better than Scott & Watson, and even with Excitable Boy bagman Williams keeping him company rather than the calming influence of Clark, I like Adam Scott a lot. Top Five then for moi with PP odds (e.w. paying top 7!):
Scott (11/1), Watson (11/1), Mickelson (18/1), Oosthuizen (33/1), Schwartzel (35/1). Rose top Brit, Kisner top rookie and Snedeker best outsider (55/1). Regional loyalties compel the choice of Derek Bard as leading amateur.    

10).The Masters throws up some surprising groupings and it's a shame that they haven't taken advantage of the smaller field to send them out in pairs for Rounds 1 & 2.
Who do you think they'll send out with Tom Watson? Snedeker perhaps, and a youngster would be my guess.
One of the most anticipated groupings of recent years was: Who will be playing with Woods following his Mississippi rehab in 2010? Do you remember who they chose??
For the next five days I'll accept The Masters for what it is and enjoy the action; chance of rain on Thursday and cool and breezy every day thru Saturday. Perfect forecast for Sunday and I can't wait. Enjoy!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters - Never Mind The Width, Feel The Quality: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 12 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Masters - Never Mind The Width, Feel The Quality: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by pedro Mon 11 Apr 2016, 1:16 pm

Interesting Willett comes from just down the road from Westwood.

pedro

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters - Never Mind The Width, Feel The Quality: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 12 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Masters - Never Mind The Width, Feel The Quality: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by raycastleunited Mon 11 Apr 2016, 1:24 pm

Tremendous from Willett. Solid week then a great final round and a well deserved win.

I couldn't help feel that the timing of his elevation to the top of the leaderboard was perfect for him. The first shot he had to play as leader was a straight forward 8 iron with a touch of draw to the middle of the green. Probably his easiest shot of the day. Fair play to him he had to execute it, but he had a lot of margin for error. I think the ensuing birdie gave him the confidence to hit a good tee shot and chip on 17, and then the up and down gave him the boost to hit a good drive on 18 when he was being severely distracted on the tee. All about momentum, Willett never had the chance to doubt himself.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 11 Apr 2016, 1:30 pm

As for Rory, he made a lot of mistakes trying to force things because he felt he had to. And he was pretty unlucky with a number of approaches seemingly defying gravity and not filtering down off the contours towards the hole. And of course he putting within 15 feet is below par.

BUT... the windy conditions never favour him. A week of calmer and wetter weather resulting in softer greens and McIlroy could easily have won .

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 11 Apr 2016, 1:31 pm

Don't forget it was a 181 yard 8 iron he "just" had to hammer to a quite narrow target with soup one side and no real bail out right. Was mentioned on the BBC coverage that it was a good use of adrenaline and I'd add control on to the back of that.

I was going to go to bed but Spieth's 4 hole birdie fest made me hang on to see if one of the best major rounds ever was being put together. Rather glad I stayed up now!

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 11 Apr 2016, 1:32 pm

Don't forget it was a 181 yard 8 iron he "just" had to hammer to a quite narrow target with soup one side and no real bail out right. Was mentioned on the BBC coverage that it was a good use of adrenaline and I'd add control on to the back of that.

I was going to go to bed but Spieth's 4 hole birdie fest made me hang on to see if one of the best major rounds ever was being put together. Rather glad I stayed up now!

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Mon 11 Apr 2016, 1:35 pm

Don't know if it was widely reported or been commented on before, but during the third round, Bubba hit deep into the trees. He went in to find it and there was a young spectator in there...

Bubba "Would you mind moving, you're not meant to be in here?"

Kid "Neither's your ball.."

Bubba "Well I've two green jackets, so thanks for coming"
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 11 Apr 2016, 1:36 pm

"Neither's your ball" is an excellent reply.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 11 Apr 2016, 1:48 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:Don't forget it was a 181 yard 8 iron he "just" had to hammer to a quite narrow target with soup one side and no real bail out right. Was mentioned on the BBC coverage that it was a good use of adrenaline and I'd add control on to the back of that.

No it's quite a wide target for an 8 iron. And if he had pulled it the ball would have gone straight at the flag and given him a birdie chance too. If he had pushed it he would have still been on the green (although with a tricky downhill putt). As for distance, well he needed to hit it c.170 and allow a skip forward and roll out. If he'd come up a little bit short he would still be on the green with an uphill putt.

If I stepped on the tee and someone told me I was leading the Masters, I'd choose 8 iron to 16th every time ahead of driver through a narrow tunnel of trees like 18 or many of the other holes.

Go to Northwick Park - there's an exact replica of 16, you can play it yourself and decide how difficult it is (minus the "patrons").

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 11 Apr 2016, 2:16 pm

raycastleunited wrote:
super_realist wrote:Hope it's not another Spieth borefest whatever the score is. Be nice to see someone sneak in from nowhere. Willett perhaps? Seems to have gone under the radar so far.

Just catching up over my lunch break on all the debate over the weekend. I thought this gem from Super at about 7pm last night was worth highlighting. Nobody else saw that coming, what vision! And yet... he's consistently the worst perfromer in Grumpy's prediction league!

Bit harsh.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 11 Apr 2016, 2:19 pm

pgatour.com website has no sense of humour.
Quoted many of the Willett family tweets, but none that refer to Jordan Spieth or his slow play . . . . . . .

Europe's Ryder Cup automoatic qualifying places currently held by:
Willett, McIlroy, Fitzpatrick Sullivan, Stenson, Rose, RCB, Garcia, Pieters

I think we'd take our chances with those nine and three others . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 11 Apr 2016, 2:24 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:pgatour.com website has no sense of humour.
Quoted many of the Willett family tweets, but none that refer to Jordan Spieth or his slow play . . . . . . .
Surprised they didn't omit the 'fat lady' part. Thought it'd be too offensive for their demographics...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 11 Apr 2016, 3:11 pm

Kwini

Your list of Ryder cup automatic places highlights the point made on this forum many times about Shane's schedule. He way well have earned a 3 year PGAT exemption and can therefore take some time to adjust to the ways of PGAT sucess but he needs to find some form soon if he wants to play in the Ryder cup. It would seem his current schedule isn't doing too well on that front and we can assume the Ryder cup is a goal of his.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon 11 Apr 2016, 3:27 pm

super_realist wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:
super_realist wrote:Hope it's not another Spieth borefest whatever the score is. Be nice to see someone sneak in from nowhere. Willett perhaps? Seems to have gone under the radar so far.

Just catching up over my lunch break on all the debate over the weekend. I thought this gem from Super at about 7pm last night was worth highlighting. Nobody else saw that coming, what vision! And yet... he's consistently the worst perfromer in Grumpy's prediction league!

Bit harsh.

Also was the only one to have picked Willett albeit as a reserve. A confirmed case of LPRPitis

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 11 Apr 2016, 3:29 pm

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2016/tournamentid=2016038/news/newsid=289716.html

Shane Lowry would do himself a favour by winning this again!

Mac,
Lowry certainly needs to improve his results and he certainly missed a big opportunity by failing to capitalise on last week's good start - on the plus side, he's got what he would probably see as the heart of his schedule coming up, plus is qualified for every event he might feel like playing in. He's a long way adrift in "European" points but not so far in World Points and now it's just a question of playing well in the big events.
Also, Westwood probably has been alerted by DC to the fact that he's only a point (and a fraction) behind Pieters in the final "World" automatic spot. Hopefully that will focus him a bit in the coming months - he should now qualify for all the big events.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 11 Apr 2016, 3:31 pm

Willett cost Fergie £8k.

https://twitter.com/gcw/status/719521602002685952
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Mon 11 Apr 2016, 3:43 pm

Spieth was an incredible champion in defeat, a credit to the sport!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Mon 11 Apr 2016, 3:46 pm

I love the irony of Danny Willett's brother calling someone a slow golfer.....Danny Willett is just as slow as Spieth in my opinion!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 11 Apr 2016, 5:06 pm

super_realist wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:

Bit harsh.

Just had a look at the 2015 full year fantasy league table... apologies it was a bit harsh, you did finish 18th out of 30.

Although you were bottom out of the regulars who entered 30+ events laughing laughing

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 11 Apr 2016, 8:49 pm

Another near miss at a major seems to have got to DJ

Dancing with a dog; https://twitter.com/GolfChannel/status/719580791089573889
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 11 Apr 2016, 9:41 pm

You know, until yesterday, I didn't notice the similarities to Jordan Spieth's game and mine. Wink

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 11 Apr 2016, 10:24 pm

Shotrock

You hole everything inside 20 feet? Wink
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 12 Apr 2016, 8:35 am

McLaren wrote:Pedro

I think he knew he was spraying it like an 18 handicapper and that maintaining a one shot lead in those circumstances was something even his putting would do well to salvage.

Ignore his playing conservatively assertions as it was pretty clear he didn't know where the ball was going.
Yeah, right. So ignore the player, who's not given you any evidence to date that he talks BS, but believe a journo who is, basically, making it up as he goes along? Nonsense. For someone who bangs on about evidence, you're on pretty thin grounds there.
Spieth was way off his best, which as you said above, makes it pretty amazing that he almost won but I'd tend to take his word about why the wheels came off in preference to some op ed piece based on pure conjecture.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 12 Apr 2016, 8:40 am

Bob_the_Job wrote:Don't know if it was widely reported or been commented on before, but during the third round, Bubba hit deep into the trees.  He went in to find it and there was a young spectator in there...

Bubba "Would you mind moving, you're not meant to be in here?"

Kid "Neither's your ball.."

Bubba "Well I've two green jackets, so thanks for coming"
Ahh Bubba. Class as usual Rolling Eyes. Idiot. Classic from that kid, whomever he/she was Laugh.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 12 Apr 2016, 10:05 am

Navy

I don't know what journo you are talking about but it is MY assertion that he didn't know where the ball was going. He may well have been trying to play conservatively but it was spraying it all over the shop and not his conservative play that caused him issues.

Was a hallucinating or did Spieth really hit it in the trees what seemed like every second hole?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 12 Apr 2016, 1:27 pm

Mac,
I agree that Spieth might have been playing "conservatively" and quite possibly not therefore as focussed as he might have been, but his conservative play had brought him five birdies on the front, not using his driver until #9. He reached the 2 x Par-5's (near as damnit anyway) with three wood off the tee and a long iron, and made five birdies. Ridiculous to say he "was spraying it all over the shop".

Stupid mistake on #12 though but he did just fine on 13, 15 and 16 (missed a shortie there), not spraying it at all there. Mental mistakes on #12 in my view, and that will haunt him long (but probably not very long!) after any swing defect has been corrected.

Interesting that Spieth was leader in scoring on Par-5's (Willett was about 69th) and birdies, but Danny was in top two on Par-3's and 4's.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Tue 12 Apr 2016, 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 12 Apr 2016, 1:37 pm

A quick thought, has Spieth's meltdown been over egged?

He shot a final round 73 while leading a major. I would like to bet that would quite often get the job done.

A 73 is miles away from a really bad final round while in the lead, for example in the last 20 years;

Norman shot 78 @ 96 masters
Rory 80 @ 2011 Masters
Goosen 81 @ 2005 US open
DJ 82 @ 2010 US open
Jean van de velde 77 @ 99 Open (and total mess on 18)

Please feel free to come up with a few more examples (in last 20 years or whenever)

Or what about Rocco for a comparison of performance on the 12th, he had a 10 when in contention at the 2006 Masters.

The score entered is the total for the week, a single hole's score is a statistical quirk. The real story of the day was that the leader shot +1 and was passed by one of the great final rounds in the Masters history. Discuss?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 12 Apr 2016, 1:39 pm

Kwini

As I said it doesn't matter what his strategy was, but I assume it didn't involve hitting every second shot right. Yes he had a good score on the front nine on sunday but overall his ball striking was poor and it caught up with him.

See my above post for how I think the day should be viewed.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 12 Apr 2016, 2:18 pm

McLaren wrote:....The score entered is the total for the week, a single hole's score is a statistical quirk.  The real story of the day was that the leader shot +1 and was passed by one of the great final rounds in the Masters history. Discuss?
Nope. It's not. You're removing all context from Spieth's +1 and that's not going to work I'm afraid. Nice try though.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 12 Apr 2016, 3:23 pm

Surely part of the context also is, though, that Spieth's rounds were 66 - 74 - 73 - 73; +4 for his final three rounds, whereas Danny Willett was -3?

For his Round 1 66, Spieth was quoted as saying he got "absolutely everything" he realistically could have out of his round.
He came in to Augusta not playing anywhere near his 2015 level and had a history of blocking drives right for the past couple of months.

Like Day and Rory, Spieth's not-so-good form is still pretty bl00dy good, better than the absolute best of more than a few others.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 12 Apr 2016, 4:25 pm

Kwini

Yes I would agree with that.  We need to avoid getting caught up in the TV station analysis which appears only to have considered the possibility that Spieth crumbled and handed victory to Willett.

As the days have passed since the events conclusion I have become more sure that Danny won the event, and that Spieth was only just playing well enough to win.  In the end Spieth didn't quite play well enough and did actually shot an ok number for round 4 of a major.  And as you point out he didn't have an under par round after round 1 and was beaten over days 1-4 by Willitt and over days 3-4 be a considerable 7 shots.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 12 Apr 2016, 6:19 pm

Presidents Cup Captains for 2017:
US: Steve Stricker, Skipper for the first time of asking.
Internationl: Nick Price, Hoping third time's the charm.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 12 Apr 2016, 8:07 pm

McLaren wrote:Kwini

Yes I would agree with that.  We need to avoid getting caught up in the TV station McLaren analysis which appears only to have considered the possibility that Spieth crumbled and handed victory to Willett.

Fixed that for you

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 13 Apr 2016, 11:15 am

Michael Greller made a facebook post reflecting on the Masters which Stephanie Wei reposted with his permission.

Greller wrote:A Friday afternoon at the 2011 U.S. Amateur at Erin Hills served as foreshadowing for a scene I’ve witnessed unfold a handful of times now. I remember it vividly and learned so much about myself and then 17-year-old, Jordan Spieth. We had just met a few weeks earlier at the U.S. Jr. Amateur, where he won the title for a second time. Our paths crossed again at Erin Hills, at the most important amateur golf tourney of the year. I was fortunate enough to caddie for Justin Thomas in three of these, including Erin Hills. Justin played incredible in the stroke play qualifying and made it into the second round, no small feat. It was there that an Englishman named Jack Senior beat Justin and thus also ended my weeklong fairytale from teaching sixth grade. I was bitter, angry and every bit not a role model for how to lose.

Jordan, with his dad Shawn on the bag, had continued to advance at that U.S. Amateur and so I decided to stick around and follow them. Lo and behold, he advanced all the way to the quarterfinals where he met none other than Jack Senior. My emotions were running high and I wanted nothing more than for Jordan to pummel Jack. Jack built a huge lead at the turn and had Jordan on the ropes. I seethed and mumbled things under my breath, acting every bit like a sore loser. But Jordan battled back and eventually squared up the match heading into the par 5, 18th. Jordan was one hole and one more match from punching his ticket to The Masters. I grew sick to my stomach as Jordan made bogey on the last hole. Jack had two putts to advance to the semifinals and continue on in the biggest stage of amateur golf. Jack lagged the putt to about two and half feet.

What happened next and later that night shocked me. Jordan took off his hat and said, “That’s good”. He walked over to Jack, looked him square in the eyes and shook his hand like a gentlemen. Rather than run to the locker room and escape the scene, he stuck around and thanked his friends who had followed him. This kid who I had just met weeks earlier then invited me to join him and his dad for dinner. We laughed and shared stories late into the night from the U.S. Jr. Amateur as well as the U.S Amateur. He never once said a bad word about Jack. There was no panic, anger or sadness. Jordan didn’t want sympathy after that U.S. Amateur loss. His self-belief and character never wavered.

A couple weeks later Jordan defeated Jack in singles at the Walker Cup. Jack went on to describe Jordan saying, “He is just such a talent. He possesses so much talent and then just doesn’t fear anything. But he is just such a nice and down to earth guy. I know for a fact if I qualify for The Open and see him there then he will come over and speak to me. That’s the kind of person he is. When we won the Walker Cup he was one of the guys out celebrating with us, he is a class act.”

I’ve been fortunate enough to ride shotgun with Jordan for every step of his PGA Tour career. What a journey he has taken me, my wife, his family and friends on. Not even five years after that Erin Hills loss, he has won nine times around the world. Two majors. One Fed Ex Cup Title. Been #1 golfer on the planet. Two President’s Cup teams. One Ryder Cup team. A future Olympian. And the experiences off the course have been absolutely priceless.

Through it all, there have been tough losses and surely will be more. After the Grand Slam chase ended on the last hole at The Open, Jordan was there to congratulate his friend Zach Johnson and even flew home with him. The next month when Jason Day won his first major, Jordan was nothing but first class and respectful to Jason throughout that final round.

The 2016 Masters stung. Hats off to Danny Willett for an incredible final round, and more importantly, becoming a father. We have received an outpouring of support and thoughtful messages. But don’t feel sorry or sad for us. We won’t get stuck in this moment, nor should you. We will work harder, fight harder and be better for it. We will bounce back as we have done many times.

At the end of the day, golf is a sport. I am especially thankful to have an unconditionally loving wife Ellie Greller, family and friends who treat us the exact same regardless of wins and losses. This isn’t life and death stuff. There are far greater struggles that exist in this world than not winning The Masters. We are beyond blessed to do what we do. We are grateful to work alongside the greatest golfers and caddies in the world. It is a challenge we relish.

A wise coach reminded me recently, winning shows your character and losing shows ALL your character. Jordan continues to model grace and humility through wins and especially losses. The student continues to teach the teacher, and now millions others, just like he did at Erin Hills.

Jordan Spieth is the same genuine, grounded and humble person he was five years ago, in victory or defeat.

http://www.weiunderpar.com/?p=44286#sthash.HxKpGscv.dpuf

If that isn't the creepiest thing you have read this week then WTF are you into?

It sounds like Greller almost worships Spieth in a cult leader type fashion as if Spieth is offering great wisdom.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 13 Apr 2016, 11:37 am

Over react much Mac? Just sounds like a nice piece written about a friend and colleague - and matches up pretty well with what people see through the TV screens

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 13 Apr 2016, 11:53 am

Conspiracy theory:
You don't think it's possible that this is a quasi-resignation-by-mutual-consent letter, Mac?
You go quietly and write a nice epitaph to our relationship and here's a million bucks. Good Luck!

Probably not, but does seem a bit strange. Altho' also agree w/Davie, is consistent with the TV image..

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 13 Apr 2016, 12:20 pm

Guy writes something nice about his friend. And gets abused for it, its not creepy at all. And as mentioned, it makes out that Jordan is actually an all right guy, which he seems to be. How pissd off would you be having to give the green jacket like that, but he handled it well, and the stupid questions he was asked.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 13 Apr 2016, 12:50 pm

Davie

Maybe it's just me (but I assume Super will agree) that you don't talk about your friends in the tone of worship. Greller talks about Spieth as if he is some sort of messiah.

Benhino

I agree, Spieth seems like a nice guy but the tone of the article was a little strange to me. The talk about Spieth taking him and his family on a journey is weird. Hell, he met Spieth when he was 17, exactly how many 17 year old's can offer any great insight on the world?

Kwini

It is certainly possible that this is a quasi resignation letter, but I haven't noticed the tension between them that you have spoken about of late. By Spieths own account Greller gave sound advice about what to do on 12 but Jordan chose to ignore it.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 13 Apr 2016, 12:59 pm

Mac,
Many 17-y-o's are considerably wiser than their elders. And often far more inspiring. (I'm sure my children would agree . . . . . )

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 13 Apr 2016, 1:03 pm

Kwini

I am sure my mother said the same thing about me on whatever forum's she posts on. But she would be seriously wrong.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 13 Apr 2016, 1:23 pm

McLaren wrote:Davie

Maybe it's just me (but I assume Super will agree) that you don't talk about your friends in the tone of worship.  Greller talks about Spieth as if he is some sort of messiah.

I just re-read it in case I missed something first time around. Nope.

Which part exactly is "creepy"? Where does he talk about him as some sort of messiah?

A five year "journey" from one of the better amateurs in the world to world professional #1 and major successes would be quite a "journey" for anyone

Come on - be more specific .. which words creep you out?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 13 Apr 2016, 1:59 pm

Davie

There are not specific words that creep me out (could that ever happen?) but the constant fawning tone really does give me the willies.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 13 Apr 2016, 2:08 pm

Interesting - thanks for posting.

Taking it on face value. It strikes me as a good passage and if it's true makes me think more of Spieth.

Scratching the surface a bit. Perhaps bigging up a colleague/friend is something that's a good thing, particularly when you're part of a very close knit and small team that's just made a mistake that had millions of people witness it. It might not be what or how we would do it (very reserved British "chin up" pep talk anyone?) but, there you go. Folks is different.

Nothing creepy or deifying about it to me.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 13 Apr 2016, 2:47 pm

I don't find it creepy. Just a bit OTT, but maybe that's the way some people think. I find this analysis of what happened has gone overboard. Much prefer the Boris Becker line, after losing his winning streak at Wimbledon. "I didn't lose a war. Nobody died. I lost a tennis match."

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 13 Apr 2016, 3:13 pm

Isn't that effectively what Greller said though? "This isn’t life and death stuff. There are far greater struggles that exist in this world than not winning The Masters."

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Wed 13 Apr 2016, 3:14 pm

Sounds gloriously immature to me, but I am so glad Jordan didn't bad mouth Jack! He was a teacher?

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 13 Apr 2016, 4:10 pm

Davie wrote:Isn't that effectively what Greller said though? "This isn’t life and death stuff. There are far greater struggles that exist in this world than not winning The Masters."
Yes, and this is what I meant by OTT. Greller said it in an essay type form, Becker said it in 12 words. But as I said, that's how some people do things. I prefer Beckers phrase.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 13 Apr 2016, 5:59 pm

This is exactly how the apostles spoke of JC. OTT big time.
Only difference in the story is that Spieth didn't have to carry his bag to Golgata himself...

But dare I ask: how 'humble' did Spieth look when handing the green jacket to Willet?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Wed 13 Apr 2016, 6:47 pm

puligny wrote:Sounds gloriously immature to me, but I am so glad Jordan didn't bad mouth Jack! He was a teacher?

My thoughts exactly
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 13 Apr 2016, 8:25 pm

I thought Spieth looked very humble handing the jacket over. WTF did you expect? A stand up comedy routine?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 13 Apr 2016, 8:29 pm

Adam D wrote:(One of our regular golf posters frequently writes amazing articles on the major events going on in the golfing world. v2 poster McLaren has suggested that as The Masters is underway, that you might all want to share in the debate - Enjoy!
Adam D)

Almost a week late I've just noticed this was added to Kwini's original blog when it was made a global sticky. I wonder if Adam realizes these articles go on every week and not just major events. While we surely agree with the sentiments, am I the only one to find this rather patronizing from someone who spends his weekends watching men in tights?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next