The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Masters - Never Mind The Width, Feel The Quality: Notes from the Ballwasher

+33
sportform
John Cregan
4putt
Good Golly I'm Olly
owen10ozzy
NedB-H
Jermaine2015
JAS
Hero
Mad for Chelsea
Nay
beninho
Snap Hook
Davie
Hibbz
1GrumpyGolfer
Shotrock
pedro
sirbenson
McLaren
MontysMerkin
SmithersJones
raycastleunited
Scottrf
Roller_Coaster
skiddy
GPB
super_realist
Bob_the_Job
hend085
LadyPutt
I'm never wrong
kwinigolfer
37 posters

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters - Never Mind The Width, Feel The Quality: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 11 Empty PGA Tour: The Masters - Never Mind The Width, Feel The Quality: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 05 Apr 2016, 3:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

(One of our regular golf posters frequently writes amazing articles on the major events going on in the golfing world. v2 poster McLaren has suggested that as The Masters is underway, that you might all want to share in the debate - Enjoy!
Adam D)

Kwinigolfer wrote:

1).When has there ever been a Masters when so many top golfers came to Augusta at the peak of their form, or very close to it? The field of 89 may be the smallest for 14 years, and at least 20 amateurs or ceremonial entrants are irrelevant, but cases could easily be made for dozens of others, strong cases for at least a dozen.

2).I watched an old BBC documentary last night about the music and life of the great Ronnie Lane, and Kenney Jones came up with an especially bon mot that surely also seems to apply to writers talking about The Masters. Talking about speaking by phone to a dying Ronnie in Colorado, Kenney said words to the effect of:
"Ronnie, I know you can't talk to me so I'm going to ask questions that I think you'd ask me, and then I'll answer them." Brilliant. Apparently Ronnie was lying there in hysterics!
But isn't that just like writers, and especially "tourists" from other sports, regurgitating the same old stories about the same old stars? The same old Rory this, Jordan that, Jason the other, rhetorical crap??

3).First, the field. Should it be even smaller, eliminating the seniors and amateurs? Not in my book, with some caveats. Some of the amateur qualifications might seem a tad/lot contrived, but I like the Past Champion exemption, so long as there's some performance criteria attached - even if it's five strikes (missed cuts in a row) and you're out. Celebrating Past Champions is part of the appeal to the "patrons"; this year's Rounds 1 & 2 will be a lovefest for Tom Watson. Perhaps O'Meara and Mize, Lyle and Woosie will stay at home soon but you can see the likes of Couples, Langer and Vijay playing until they get kicked out.
Next year the 2016 Olympic winner will also be exempt, as he will be for all four Majors.

4).Who would you include in the Field to make it more competitive? I would say Pieters has a strong case, but he's about the only one. Aussie Open Champ Matt Jones should be there, and he would have been if he hadn't pretty much tanked the past few months, so no sympathy there. Any others?

5).Unluckiest guy not to be competing is surely David Clark. Carried Adam Scott's bag to his most successful run for two or three years but shoved aside for Steve Williams in the Majors.

6).Who do you fancy? I'll look beyond the Top Three. Just something about Jason Day but wouldn't be shocked if he ran away like Spieth did last year.
Spieth doesn't seem quite at ease with his game and would be surprised if he wins here again, this year anyway.
And Rory (hole in one on #16 yesterday!) seems a bit Sergio-like right now; just when he looks like he's moving into top gear, he hits a mental speed bump of sorts, plus his putting has been unconvincing, to say the least. His stroke looks OK so does he just have trouble reading greens, even with that laser surgery?

7).Continental Europe hasn't seen a Masters winner for almost twenty years and I can't see that changing, much as I'd like to see Stenson win the Major he perhaps deserves. The head-cover is coming off Henrik's driver this week so that's a welcome(?) tactical switch.
And GB&I are lacking convincing form, tho' Casey and Rose seem to reserve some of their best weeks for Augusta.
The Asian contingent could surprise but question marks against their best players persist: Matsuyma's putting, Ben An's neck (he reckons he hasn't hit full shots since w/d'ing from his WGC Match vs Cabrera Bello).

8).Branden Grace had a fabulous season last year, but he's missed his past two Masters cuts and doesn't seem to be in top form just yet. But Oosthuizen and Schwartzel have been flying and both seem great each way bets.
Interesting that Phil Mickelson has overtaken Woods as leading Masters money winner; can Phil's chances ever be dismissed here? In decent form all year and certainly in my top five, along with Bubba. Rickie Fowler is a popular choice in the US media but I'll look past him and prefer Dustin Johnson and Snedeker as well as Bubba among the Americans. (No American under the age of 35 has won a PGA Tournament since Spieth three months ago in Hawaii, other than Finau in the opposite field event anyhow.)

9).Which leaves Adam Scott; one month ago no-one was playing better than Scott & Watson, and even with Excitable Boy bagman Williams keeping him company rather than the calming influence of Clark, I like Adam Scott a lot. Top Five then for moi with PP odds (e.w. paying top 7!):
Scott (11/1), Watson (11/1), Mickelson (18/1), Oosthuizen (33/1), Schwartzel (35/1). Rose top Brit, Kisner top rookie and Snedeker best outsider (55/1). Regional loyalties compel the choice of Derek Bard as leading amateur.    

10).The Masters throws up some surprising groupings and it's a shame that they haven't taken advantage of the smaller field to send them out in pairs for Rounds 1 & 2.
Who do you think they'll send out with Tom Watson? Snedeker perhaps, and a youngster would be my guess.
One of the most anticipated groupings of recent years was: Who will be playing with Woods following his Mississippi rehab in 2010? Do you remember who they chose??
For the next five days I'll accept The Masters for what it is and enjoy the action; chance of rain on Thursday and cool and breezy every day thru Saturday. Perfect forecast for Sunday and I can't wait. Enjoy!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters - Never Mind The Width, Feel The Quality: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 11 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Masters - Never Mind The Width, Feel The Quality: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:53 pm

Some symmetry? Faldo shot 67 to be the last Englishman to win the masters and now Willett could be the next one after shooting 67

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters - Never Mind The Width, Feel The Quality: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 11 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Masters - Never Mind The Width, Feel The Quality: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:55 pm

Could be all over now

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:57 pm

Sport at its best can be incredibly cruel. After 4 days, Spieth is going to lose this based on one half hour.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:00 am

This is f-king unbelievable.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:00 am

Spieth needs a 4 to break level 5's on the back nine. Remember when you were a kid and had to play for level 5's?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:01 am

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:02 am

What a win. And love the talk of getting his phone on charge, using the landline and his phone home picture of his new born _ who hasn't done that??

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:02 am

SmithersJones wrote:Didn't realise Chubby was Willett's father-in-law.
Chubby looks like a gypsy gangster boss.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:03 am

GSC wrote:Sport at its best can be incredibly cruel. After 4 days, Spieth is going to lose this based on one half hour.
Yup. TBH, he's been hanging on via his putting I think. Certainly poor off the tee.

Fantastic for Willett! Looks to have a very sound, straight forward game w/ some strong nerves. Bubbly
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:09 am

5 Englishmen in the top 10, has that ever happened before?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:10 am

No talk of McIlroy today really; just caught up on the final round (x12 fast fwd on sky is handy with the pedestrian pace of many players these days). I worried when he said he would have to be aggressive today to stand a chance today and while yes he did have to take it to the course you feel he pushed the aggression to early and once more mentally he capitulated when he lost the early shots. He is a talent no doubt; but in the last 15 months he has regressed whilst others have improved. Seems strange to say given he won 2 majors only the other year and has 4 in total, but does he have enough in his locker to compete in the future in terms of where we thought he may end up majors wise. He was known as a player to overpower courses and it seems that with courses becoming more difficult to do that on he lacks other facets when compared to others. Putting, short game, scrambling, course management....all fall into very poor when comparing too Day, Spieth (despite his collapse today). I am being on the more over-critical side of things with him for sure; but he just seems to be missing not just something, but a whole lot in terms of his game ATM.

Onto Westwood...fantastic today and whilst that major alludes him still it was a nice two fingers up to his critics who believed him to be unable to contest at the top anymore.

Finally...Danny Willet. He is the epitomy of an extremely solid all round player. Not spectacular at anything rather good at everything and very very rarely does he make critical errors during his rounds. I can't remember who said it on these boards, but only a month ago or so I remember reading he would win tournaments and be consistent but he was lacking that little extra to win a major. I think this shows that if you can play solid golf consistently and keep errors to very minimal you will get chances to win the big ones.

Augusta more than any player needs to take a long hard look moving forward however; they made this a major to forget and it was only thanks to the drama down the last 9 due to player errors this tournament will be remembered. As a tournament in itself it has been far from memorable.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:11 am

On 12th tee Spieth's caddie told him he should use his 'stock shot'... Hmmm...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:11 am

By the way, my maths is pretty bad after a few tinnies. He actually shot a 41 back nine.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:11 am

SmithersJones wrote:5 Englishmen in the top 10, has that ever happened before?
Maybe in Madeira.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by skiddy Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:20 am

Dont see the point in criticising players for struggling on a gimmicky course. All that needs to be said is how well willet did to shoot a bogey free -5 round. Up there with the greatest rounds ever played under the circumstances. Well deserved win and he'll probably win more majors in the future. Shows just how strong the et is.

skiddy

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:29 am

Should Danny become a double dipper or stick with just the European tour?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:29 am

Don't think Nantz and Payne understood half of what Willett was saying....

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:38 am

No press-ups from lw1 but he's back in all the Majors, got to impress his new lady.
Why not do some press-ups tho'?

Wonderful for Willett, a long way on from the "Willett be Wilson or Wood it be ????????" (to get their first win) of old 606 days.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:45 am

Jordan Spieth: Before the crazy 12 and the dropped shots at 11 and 10 Spieth had gone from -3 to -7. What was notable in this was that he had a disagreement with his caddie and imposed his own will in the selection of the club and he seemed to be correct and got the birdies on the outward nine. I reckon that resulted in a tension between the caddie and Spieth that partly resulted in the crazy 12 where he dropped four shots. He is young and for some reason he had a few double bogeys and more on a background of otherwise super-human golf.

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:56 am

Nore,
I've thought during past tournaments that there's been tension between Spieth & Greller. Hope they get it sorted, after the Ryder Cup.

Best rouunds of the day:
67: Casey (England, sort of), Fitzpatrick (England), Willett (England)
68: Langasque (en France), JB (Kentucky)
69: Stenson (Sweden), Westwood (Worksop)

Let's play the Ryder Cup at Augusta National.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 11 Apr 2016, 1:16 am

Nore, they both agreed what to do on 12. He just hit a bad shot.
But the iron was the right one.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon 11 Apr 2016, 1:36 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Wish I'd just taken all English guys for Grumpy's game and Sporty's.

Some obvious choices Kwini; Rose and Willett in Cat A, Poulter and Westwood in Cat C. Would have been a choice to make in Cat B; Casey, Sullivan, Wood, and Fitzpatrick

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 11 Apr 2016, 1:59 am

rose Ale thumbsup

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 11 Apr 2016, 8:50 am

Outstanding finish. Was just about to go to bed after Boredan's Spieth's 11th hole.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Mon 11 Apr 2016, 9:41 am

Nice one Danny...It would be easy to say he was handed it, but his play on the last three knowing he had a lead was rock solid. Can't help but think being a new dad might have helped him this week - perspective and good distractions.

Have to say, didn't think Spieth had that level of meltdown in him, and was on the verge of declaring him the winner and going to do something else - just goes to show, that nobody is infallible and golf is not that predictable.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 11 Apr 2016, 9:47 am

I wonder how many people were "just about to go to bed".

Be interesting to see how Spieth reacts to his capitulation.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 11 Apr 2016, 9:56 am

It would have been remarkable of Spieth could have won a Masters toeing everything wide right, and he nearly did it. If he hadn't chunked the second go at 12 he may well have recovered. He barely challenged the sweet sport and was a better short Iron away from easily beating the field. I guess Spieth has set a new standard for holing mid range putts.

Not sure I subscribe to the theory there is an issue between him and his caddie, Spieth just gets a little petulant at times and the caddie is the only target for this out on the course. It would be the same regardless of who was on the bag.

I agree it cannot be seen that Danny was handed the win by Spieth, a 67 in the final round of a major which included a birdie as soon as his position was known to him is winning an event.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 11 Apr 2016, 9:57 am

Me, super

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 11 Apr 2016, 10:41 am

I was just reading Kevin Van Valkenburg's ESPN bit on Spieth's troubles on the 12th.  What I had not realised at the time was that Spieth knew that Willett had reduced his lead to 1.  Apparently Spieth (and the crowd) got a little edgy after seeing the red 4 go up next to Danny's name on the leaderboard behind the 11th.

For me that changes the context of the 12th, what seemed like a meltdown out of nowhere and of his own making my actually have been a reaction to being pressured for the first time while leader the masters.  Is it even clear that Spieth would have finished at -5 even if he had got a 3 on 12?  He was playing poorly and was spooked by the proximity of Danny.

Edit: And assuming Danny still birdies 16 and Spieth did par 12, Spieth would have had to play 13-18 thinking that he needed to play level or better. I doubt his swing would have held up enough to play shots in that context.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 11 Apr 2016, 11:31 am

He said that the reason behind his meltdown was that he started playing conservatively after the 9th, knowing par on the back 9 would do it for him. And even after bogeing 10-11 he knew he still had 13 and 15 which he could birdie, which then led him into shooting a 'conservative' fade on 12, even if he was in fact more comfortable with a draw.
Don't know what to make of that tho.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 11 Apr 2016, 11:34 am

Pedro

I think he knew he was spraying it like an 18 handicapper and that maintaining a one shot lead in those circumstances was something even his putting would do well to salvage.

Ignore his playing conservatively assertions as it was pretty clear he didn't know where the ball was going.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 11 Apr 2016, 11:40 am

By the way. I noticed Webb Simpson played with DL3 yesterday. Can you imagine the amount of asskissing that must have been going on...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 11 Apr 2016, 11:40 am

Did you see him after the Hole In 1 Pedro, he was almost fellating him.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 11 Apr 2016, 11:47 am

super_realist wrote:Did you see him after the Hole In 1 Pedro, he was almost fellating him.

vomit inducing.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 11 Apr 2016, 11:50 am

Fantastic by Willett. Hope the narrative is more that Danny won it; Spieth was already struggling by the time he reached the 12th tee, think the margin was just one then.
Willett putted Spieth-like all day, rock solid.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 11 Apr 2016, 11:54 am

Kwini

See my post above about Van Valkenburg's report.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Snap Hook Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:23 pm

Great to be English.

Well that was pretty enjoyable in the end! Danny Willett was superb, great chip at 17 and played 18 text book. Champions dinner to consist of Yorkshire pudding and gravy!

Got to feel sorry for Spieth, but got burnt in the end with his tee to green play. Two months to get it fixed for Oakmont, otherwise no way will he be contending.

Feeling more upbeat about the Ryder Cup now!

Snap Hook

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:25 pm

Can't feel sorry for someone as slow and boring as Spieth.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:31 pm

Feel that's a real opportunity missed for McIlroy to complete the grand slam. The Saturday was desperately poor from him and the first 9 yesterday was all over the place. He didn't seem to have control over any part of his game.

Willett though was teak tough yesterday. Whilst there wasn't too much pressure for most of the round, when he suddenly found himself in the lead, his play on 16 was exceptional and his chip on 17 was world class. Well-deserved winner.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:38 pm

Seems like Westwood has been overlooked a little here. I know he was mentioned once or twice but a T2 is a great result for him too - I'm sure many of us (including me) thought he was probably finished in his quest for a major but maybe not!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:44 pm

Davie

I think Westwood was on the list of players whose 2016 masters could easily be there last.  He did very well to ensure he will be back next year and is now back well inside the top 50 OWGR.  Up to 35 from 67.  

At least he will been guaranteed to be in the next few majors, not sure what his status was in them before moving back inside the top 50. (can't remember what his end of 2015 ranking was and what that would have got him into this season).
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:48 pm

Born Slippy wrote:Feel that's a real opportunity missed for McIlroy to complete the grand slam. The Saturday was desperately poor from him and the first 9 yesterday was all over the place. He didn't seem to have control over any part of his game.

Willett though was teak tough yesterday. Whilst there wasn't too much pressure for most of the round, when he suddenly found himself in the lead, his play on 16 was exceptional and his chip on 17 was world class. Well-deserved winner.

An interesting graphic from princedrac on twitter.

Nosferatu ‏@VC606 wrote:Where Rory lost #TheMasters...
Holes 4,5,10&11: 13-over par for the week!!
PGA Tour: The Masters - Never Mind The Width, Feel The Quality: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 11 Cftq5IuWEAYJIMI
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:49 pm

It did, sadly, slightly sum up Lee's major career that as soon as he was in with a shout he promptly three-putted - having looked to be putting well up until then.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:53 pm

Agree Davie, He also made some good putts, but will regret the short par putt he missed on #16.

Mac,
The irony of course is that, if Spieth had got just a little bit more of a move on, he'd've played his tee shot at #12 before Danny's birdie had been registered on the scoreboard.

Snap,
Agree re Oakmont, not sure that course suits him anyway - can seem him taking a few weeks off now, maybe only play the Byron Nelson & Players before US Open.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:58 pm

Guaranteed invites back for some who might not get there otherwise:
Westwood, Kjeldsen, Holmes, Casey, Berger, Fitz.

But perhaps Poulter has taken his last ride down Magnolia Drive?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 11 Apr 2016, 1:01 pm

pedro wrote:By the way. I noticed Webb Simpson played with DL3 yesterday. Can you imagine the amount of asskissing that must have been going on...

As super pointed out, it was nauseating. Fair enough for simpson to high five DL3. But for him to jump around and high five his own caddie was ridiculously sycophantic.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 11 Apr 2016, 1:04 pm

Born Slippy wrote:It did, sadly, slightly sum up Lee's major career that as soon as he was in with a shout he promptly three-putted - having looked to be putting well up until then.

Yes this

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 11 Apr 2016, 1:07 pm

Willett's brother on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/P_J_Willett?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Some of my favorites:
"Spieth is lining up his putt. If I'm quick I can get a beer, go to the toilet, and paint the spare room b4 he hits it"

"2 birdies from slowpoke and I'll eat my pants."

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 11 Apr 2016, 1:11 pm

super_realist wrote:Hope it's not another Spieth borefest whatever the score is. Be nice to see someone sneak in from nowhere. Willett perhaps? Seems to have gone under the radar so far.

Just catching up over my lunch break on all the debate over the weekend. I thought this gem from Super at about 7pm last night was worth highlighting. Nobody else saw that coming, what vision! And yet... he's consistently the worst perfromer in Grumpy's prediction league!

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 11 Apr 2016, 1:14 pm

super usually picks the scandis.
Willett's mother is Swedish, so maybe that's why.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next