The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aviva Premiership - Round 17

+19
nathan
Scottrf
Ozzy3213
stub
Heaf
Bathman_in_London
lostinwales
WELL-PAST-IT
bluestonevedder
propdavid_london
beshocked
Bathite
Sgt_Pooly
Geordie
formerly known as Sam
king_carlos
yappysnap
doctor_grey
LondonTiger
23 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Aviva Premiership - Round 17 - Page 2 Empty Aviva Premiership - Round 17

Post by LondonTiger Thu 17 Mar 2016, 8:05 am

First topic message reminder :

Table

Aviva Premiership - Round 17 - Page 2 Table110

Fixtures

Fri 18th Mar 16

19:45 Bath Rugby  v   Newcastle Falcons BT Sport

Sat 19th Mar 16

15:00 Harlequins  v   Worcester Warriors

Sun 20th Mar 16

13:00 Exeter Chiefs  v   Northampton Saints Sandy Park BT Sport
14:00 Wasps  v   Sale Sharks
15:00 London Irish  v   Gloucester Rugby
15:15 Leicester Tigers  v   Saracens BT Sport

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership - Round 17 - Page 2 Empty Re: Aviva Premiership - Round 17

Post by stub Sat 19 Mar 2016, 5:57 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Well Its down to Irish or Falcons.

Personally I think its time the league was ring fenced....this season...ie now. Wink Very Happy

I've been saying that for a while from a Wuss point of view but with no support!! I actually still think it's a good idea with a couple of additions from below. Give the 14 teams time to consolidate and grow and invest in their infrastructure. Tough on the teams that miss out though..

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat 19 Mar 2016, 6:02 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Big game for Irish tomorrow. If they get nothing out of this one, I think they're down.

I have to agree, tomorrow is Poopie or bust for us. Win and get to within 1 win of Falcons and it's game on. Lose and I think confidence will be completely shot and fat lady will be starting to warm up.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 19 Mar 2016, 6:08 pm

stub wrote:

Personally I think its time the league was ring fenced....this season...ie now. Wink Very Happy

I've been saying that for a while from a Wuss point of view but with no support!! I actually still think it's a good idea with a couple of additions from below. Give the 14 teams time to consolidate and grow and invest in their infrastructure. Tough on the teams that miss out though..

I agree

From our point of view we played our best rugby last season when London Welsh were down near the half way mark. We had nothing to fear and played some lovely rugby. This season we have gone back to dirge!

With a sealed 14 league team...all team would improve their rugby.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 19 Mar 2016, 6:53 pm

Or there would be nothing to play for after a couple of months and competition would fade. In a league system there's nearly always something to play for. I also think it's sometimes good for teams to go down, rebuild and then come back again.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 19 Mar 2016, 7:07 pm

I always thought it should be relegation every other season, based on a combined results from the two seasons

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 19 Mar 2016, 7:59 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Or there would be nothing to play for after a couple of months and competition would fade. In a league system there's nearly always something to play for. I also think it's sometimes good for teams to go down, rebuild and then come back again.
I really don't see a problem in the American sports leagues. And none have relegation.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 19 Mar 2016, 8:50 pm

They have the draft system which helps the under performing teams rebuild and improve. Now I wouldn't be opposed to players having to play uni rugby and progress to the AP from there. Would mean that they wouldn't be exposed to the full physicality of top flight rugby until 21. Can't see how that would be brought in now though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat 19 Mar 2016, 10:39 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
stub wrote:

I agree

From our point of view we played our best rugby last season when London Welsh were down near the half way mark. We had nothing to fear and played some lovely rugby. This season we have gone back to dirge!

Yes, I think that's the thing, keep pushing hard for pride. And if the season is a bust then start to strategise for the next one. The established clubs would not support this because it threatens some of their hard won advantages. Not sure I'd like a draft though but then again not properly thought it through yet! Anyway GRAND SLAM!! rose

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 19 Mar 2016, 11:19 pm

Because in the sealed Pro12 all the teams progress and improve...

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sun 20 Mar 2016, 12:22 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Because in the sealed Pro12 all the teams progress and improve...

I dont think you can compare like for like in this instance. And to be fair, lower pro 12 teams like Connacht have improved in that league haven't they?

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 20 Mar 2016, 12:57 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:They have the draft system which helps the under performing teams rebuild and improve. Now I wouldn't be opposed to players having to play uni rugby and progress to the AP from there. Would mean that they wouldn't be exposed to the full physicality of top flight rugby until 21. Can't see how that would be brought in now though.
You hit a couple of good points here:
First the draft in American sport only helps good organisations which had bad years. It is common for poor organisations to remain poor and good organisations to remain good for extended periods of time. Yet the poor teams usually (with a few exceptions) usually battle it out to the end. Typically making a better match of it week by week than London Welsh during most of their two seasons in the Premiership.
It is an interesting question whether 18, 19, 20 year olds should be allowed to play in the Premiership. Based upon what i see in American Football, in a perfect world my answer would be no. There are always a few exceptions, but I think there is a big difference between playing men fully filled out and at the top of their game to playing within the 18-20 age group. The level of physicality is still that one level up in the Premiership. I would not be surprised, though I have no data at the moment, that players who start earlier get injured more often later on. This is one reason why the NFL limited the minimum age of players. I agree, I can't see how to bring that into the Premiership.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 20 Mar 2016, 1:58 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:
stub wrote:

I agree

I agree.  LI have suffered from a perfect storm this year with just about everything going wrong that could but I think they have all the ingredients to be much better next year.  However if, as is more than likely, they go down you can expect to see yet another asset stripping like we have seen in recent years which started their downward slide.  

Of course the 'top' teams aren't likely to want ring-fencing as that would give the 'lesser' teams more chance to develop and challenge their position.

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 20 Mar 2016, 2:30 am

stub wrote:
Heaf wrote:PS I'm more annoyed that it messed me up on Superbru Smile

Superbru?
prediction league ... I've won the premiership group I'm in for the last two seasons but this year has been going down hill lately (ironically) - on the plus side I've just won the 6N one ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 20 Mar 2016, 7:34 am

Heaf top teams? The top four teams in the AP have been in almost constant rotation. Tigers are the only consistent and currently it looks as though we may well miss out this year

The reason NFL teams play hard for the entire season is because the owners have a tendency to fire the general manager and head coach if they think they have under performed. I'm not sure I'd want a Black Monday scenario in the AP.

Stub, Connacht have improved recently but the Dragons and the two Italian teams are still awful. In fact this season there's been a general malaise in the Pro12, probably a RWC hangover.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 20 Mar 2016, 8:18 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:The reason NFL teams play hard for the entire season is because the owners have a tendency to fire the general manager and head coach if they think they have under performed. I'm not sure I'd want a Black Monday scenario in the AP.
This is very true, I think. It always seems a quarter or a third of coaches are being let go, and many of the general managers, too. I never thought of it much but that would drive competitiveness. You think the reason we might not see that so much is there are more decent coaches available for each NFL position than the Premiership?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 20 Mar 2016, 8:21 am

doctor_grey wrote:And Quins because yesterday I met a really pretty Quins fan in my office and had the joy of checking her knee for flexion and extension, over and over.  
How could Quins lose with so much at stake?  I certainly hope Quins failure does not effect a budding doctor-patient relationship.  Imagine finding a fine looking English Rugby fan over here?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 20 Mar 2016, 8:42 am

doctor_grey wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:The reason NFL teams play hard for the entire season is because the owners have a tendency to fire the general manager and head coach if they think they have under performed. I'm not sure I'd want a Black Monday scenario in the AP.
This is very true, I think.  It always seems a quarter or a third of coaches are being let go, and many of the general managers, too.  I never thought of it much but that would drive competitiveness.  You think the reason we might not see that so much is there are more decent coaches available for each NFL position than the Premiership?

Unemployment would focus the mind a touch. I think it's in the American psyche to expect quick results. The commercial nature of their sport demands it. We seem a little more ready to wait and develop internally but the NFL doesn't think like that, everything is brought in and when not working sold off. There's no real club loyalty as we would know it.

But sure the coaches are that much more plentiful, the college scene certainly provides options but many who are fired on Black Monday quickly walk into jobs elsewhere. Chip Kelly having failed spectacularly at the Eagles was let go and then given another NFL job within a month.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 20 Mar 2016, 11:51 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Heaf top teams? The top four teams in the AP have been in almost constant rotation. Tigers are the only consistent and currently it looks as though we may well miss out this year

The reason NFL teams play hard for the entire season is because the owners have a tendency to fire the general manager and head coach if they think they have under performed. I'm not sure I'd want a Black Monday scenario in the AP.

Stub, Connacht have improved recently but the Dragons and the two Italian teams are still awful. In fact this season there's been a general malaise in the Pro12, probably a RWC hangover.
I was thinking more top half of the table and that kind of makes my point - why would they want more competition from the teams that are normally too busy worrying about relegation ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 20 Mar 2016, 1:38 pm

What a try! We are competing for the ball well here.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 20 Mar 2016, 1:47 pm

Chiefs distinctly second best so far today.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 20 Mar 2016, 2:43 pm

Damn. Well done Chiefs.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 20 Mar 2016, 2:47 pm

Not sure why mallinder is moaning, clearly no try

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 20 Mar 2016, 2:54 pm

nathan wrote:Not sure why mallinder is moaning, clearly no try
True but how the ref can say he's not looking at the ball?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 20 Mar 2016, 2:55 pm

I disagree, Saints player did little wrong, thing they've been pretty hard done by there.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 20 Mar 2016, 2:57 pm

Wasps dealing out another wupping so far too

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 20 Mar 2016, 2:58 pm

Looked a clear knock on to me?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 20 Mar 2016, 2:59 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:

I disagree, Saints player did little wrong, thing they've been pretty hard done by there.
It was a clear knock on, it went forwards off Gibson.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 20 Mar 2016, 3:08 pm

Wasn't given as a knock on. Exeter restarted with a penalty, referee appeared to indicate a player taken out in the air (I had the sound off).
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 20 Mar 2016, 3:18 pm

As I previously said, it's still not a try.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 20 Mar 2016, 3:29 pm

Logo could be in trouble there

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 20 Mar 2016, 3:31 pm

Bosch did dip a little but logo can't have any complaints there

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 20 Mar 2016, 3:35 pm

Looked like the scrum should of gone the other way

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 20 Mar 2016, 3:55 pm

Brown is having a great game

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 20 Mar 2016, 4:09 pm

Bit meh from the Tigers, really needed to finish some of those plays off.

Sarries are being a bit slow to move at the rucks

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 20 Mar 2016, 5:16 pm

Congratulations Irish!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 20 Mar 2016, 5:18 pm

Well its safe to say this weekend couldn't have gone much worse for us.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Sun 20 Mar 2016, 6:41 pm

Pretty laughable that David Humphreys is trying to blame the ref for his team's defeat.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 20 Mar 2016, 6:50 pm

SirBurger wrote:Pretty laughable that David Humphreys is trying to blame the ref for his team's defeat.
Seems to be a lot of ref whinging from DORs this year, but I'm pretty shocked that I don't think I've heard cockers having a moan!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sun 20 Mar 2016, 6:53 pm

What with Goode off next weekend i can see Falcons getting relegated now.

Stanley is okay but doesn't have the clutchness Goode can have in a must score situation.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 20 Mar 2016, 7:25 pm

nathan wrote:
SirBurger wrote:Pretty laughable that David Humphreys is trying to blame the ref for his team's defeat.
Seems to be a lot of ref whinging from DORs this year, but I'm pretty shocked that I don't think I've heard cockers having a moan!

I think Mauger has said it's all about calm on the sidelines this season. Cockers normally wears his heart on his sleeve and to be fair there's more to complain about with our players than there is refereeing decisions.

Inaccurate performance from Tigers but we were in control for much of the game. If we'd been more clinical in the final third we could have got a TBP whilst Sarries were missing key players. At least we made sure they left with nothing.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 20 Mar 2016, 7:28 pm

Grand Slam Geordie OK

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 20 Mar 2016, 7:40 pm

nathan wrote:

I know we've moaned about referees on here, but Tom Coventry has remained tight lipped on them which I am glad about.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 20 Mar 2016, 7:48 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:

Whether it was a penalty or not, Gibson clearly knocked on.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 20 Mar 2016, 7:53 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:Wasn't given as a knock on.  Exeter restarted with a penalty, referee appeared to indicate a player taken out in the air (I had the sound off).

TMO said it was played in the air AND a knock on.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 20 Mar 2016, 8:00 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
nathan wrote:

I think Mauger has said it's all about calm on the sidelines this season. Cockers normally wears his heart on his sleeve and to be fair there's more to complain about with our players than there is refereeing decisions.

Inaccurate performance from Tigers but we were in control for much of the game. If we'd been more clinical in the final third we could have got a TBP whilst Sarries were missing key players. At least we made sure they left with nothing.

Real shame that the lineout was at times a shambles. Scrum so much better than at Allianz - helped by Brits not able to hook but equally unable to drive. Thacker clearly got the better of him at scrum time with some wonderful strikes of the ball.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 20 Mar 2016, 8:52 pm

The man is a buffoon ... Glaws got away with murder constantly dropping the scrum 5m from their line and only getting a YC after the 5th time and then claiming they had no replacement so scrums went uncontested ... yeah right

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 20 Mar 2016, 8:56 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:
nathan wrote:

I know we've moaned about referees on here, but Tom Coventry has remained tight lipped on them which I am glad about.

Pretty sure I have heard Delaney moaning though.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 21 Mar 2016, 4:45 am

LondonTiger wrote:
Ozzy3213 wrote:
nathan wrote:

Pretty sure I have heard Delaney moaning though.

I doubt that greatly, as Delaney is not involved in matchday/playing affairs and is never interviewed after games. The only time I can recall him being interviewed by anyone this season is over the whole Andy Goode affair.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 21 Mar 2016, 5:15 am

Heaf does enough morning about refs for the London Irish contingent Wink

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 21 Mar 2016, 6:16 am

I only saw the first half of our game yesterday and the referee appeared to be doing ok. A lack of clinical edge from us however very nearly cost us that game. I have no idea how it was 10-10 at the break. I thnk they'd been in our 22 twice whilst if we'd taken even half the chance we'd created we'd have had 3 or 4 tries. We'll need to be a lot sharper in the next few weeks if we're going to pick up the wins we need to get above Falcons.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next