The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales vs France Six Nations 2016

+58
Notch
tatterd
rainbow-warrior
Barney McGrew did it
gavstar
englandglory4ever
Shifty
VinceWLB
glamorganalun
nathan
Geordie
Engine#4
Exiledinborders
RDW
Scottrf
Heaf
LondonTiger
wales606
seanmichaels
Pot Hale
Rory_Gallagher
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Cyril
hugehandoff
Gwlad
westisbest
gregortree
Cardiff Dave
wayne
sensisball
funnyExiledScot
wrfc1980
Fanster
offload
BigTrevsbigmac
GavCanDance
rumpelstiltskindoh
Dontheman2
RubyGuby
PenfroPete
Blueschief
chris_501
ScarletSpiderman
Luckless Pedestrian
carpet baboon
majesticimperialman
eirebilly
mikey_dragon
Seagultaf
RiscaGame
whocares
True Raven
exile jack
LordDowlais
bedfordwelsh
Knowsit17
munkian
maestegmafia
62 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Wales vs France Six Nations 2016 - Page 3 Empty Wales vs France Six Nations 2016

Post by maestegmafia Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:13 am

First topic message reminder :

Wales v France

Date: Friday, 26 February
Venue: Principality Stadium, Cardiff
Kick-off: 20:05 GMT

Coverage: Live on BBC One Wales & S4C, commentary on Radio 5 live sports extra, BBC Radio Wales, BBC Radio Cymru & BBC Sport website and BBC Sport app, plus live text commentary.

Wales team: Liam Williams (Scarlets), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Jonathan Davies (ASM Clermont), Jamie Roberts (Harlequins), George North (Northampton ), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Gareth Davies (Scarlets); Rob Evans (Scarlets), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Samson Lee (Scarlets); Bradley Davies (Wasps), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys); Dan Lydiate (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues, CAPT), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons).

Replacements: Ken Owens (Scarlets), Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues), Rhys Priestland (Bath), Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues).

France Team: Maxime Medard; Virimi Vakatawa, Maxime Mermoz, Jonathan Danty, Djibril Camara; Jules Plisson, Maxime Machenaud; Jefferson Poirot, Guilhem Guirado (capt), Rabah Slimani, Alexandre Flanquart, Paul Jedrasiak, Antoine Burban, Damien Chouly, Wenceslas Lauret.

Replacements: Camille Chat, Uini Atonio, Vincent Pelo, Yoann Maestri, Loann Goujon, Sebastien Bezy, Francois Trinh Duc, Gael Fickou.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:04 pm; edited 2 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Wales vs France Six Nations 2016 - Page 3 Empty Re: Wales vs France Six Nations 2016

Post by maestegmafia Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:30 am

munkian wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:I'm not sure how anybody can mention Amos' lack of game time or rushing him back either, when he has played more than Anscombe (I believe).

They e played about the same amount of time but Anscombe is a few years older and more experienced at both playing at a high level and at getting prepared after recovering  from injuries.

I don't think the two players scenarios are as comparable as you think.

Amos will get his chance, he won't get wasted. No need to rush him

Should let him play for Dragons then - could really use him against Glasgae

Maybe they will? Unless he is in the extra backs reserved for emergency injury cover

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Wales vs France Six Nations 2016 - Page 3 Empty Re: Wales vs France Six Nations 2016

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:47 am

maestegmafia wrote:
munkian wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:I'm not sure how anybody can mention Amos' lack of game time or rushing him back either, when he has played more than Anscombe (I believe).

They e played about the same amount of time but Anscombe is a few years older and more experienced at both playing at a high level and at getting prepared after recovering  from injuries.

I don't think the two players scenarios are as comparable as you think.

Amos will get his chance, he won't get wasted. No need to rush him

Should let him play for Dragons then - could really use him against Glasgae

Maybe they will? Unless he is in the extra backs reserved for emergency injury cover

They haven't.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:14 am

munkian wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:RE: Amos - Its just a thought as IMO he had become a first choice during the RWC. Maybe he is being saved for the England game in a few weeks when he should be back to match fitness. thumbsup

By having no matches ?

He played and scored recently to prove his fitness - do we want to risk him getting injured again? thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:15 am

Amos is the extra man for the Welsh squad
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:15 am

RubyGuby wrote:
munkian wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:RE: Amos - Its just a thought as IMO he had become a first choice during the RWC. Maybe he is being saved for the England game in a few weeks when he should be back to match fitness. thumbsup

By having no matches ?

He played and scored recently to prove his fitness - do we want to risk him getting injured again? thumbsup

So if hes 'proved' his fitness why not have him in the 22 ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:16 am

munkian wrote:Amos is the extra man for the Welsh squad
thumbsup

Then in Gatland we have to trust. Howley on the other hand Sad

What would we give for a world class backs coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by RubyGuby on Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by GavCanDance Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:20 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:I am glad he's picked Cuthbert (would have scored that run in James had)

Maybe so.  But would Cuthbert would have made the try saving tackle that James made in the Ireland match?  I'm not convinced.  France seem to be very attack oriented at the moment, so the Welsh defense needs to be functioning and Cuthbert would have to be a target in their game plan - he's a very weak link, defensively.

Obviously I hope he has a blinder of a game and proves me and his other critics completely wrong though!  I'd be more than happy to eat my words! Wales

GavCanDance

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:32 am

GavCanDance wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:I am glad he's picked Cuthbert (would have scored that run in James had)

Maybe so.  But would Cuthbert would have made the try saving tackle that James made in the Ireland match?  I'm not convinced.  France seem to be very attack oriented at the moment, so the Welsh defense needs to be functioning and Cuthbert would have to be a target in their game plan - he's a very weak link, defensively.

Obviously I hope he has a blinder of a game and proves me and his other critics completely wrong though!  I'd be more than happy to eat my
words!  Wales

Amos could've done both - or at least got a hand off in
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:07 pm

I think Amos deserves his chance, he did not let us down during the WC and it's not as if Tom James or Alex Cuthbert have not been given enough opportunities, Amos is a very skillful player, he has a good sidestep, he is very intelligent and he does score tries. 

I do not know what Gatland and Howley are on about when they keep making excuses for not picking him.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:16 pm

Because hes not a bosh merchant that run straight into contact ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by wrfc1980 Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:24 pm

On paper most are going with a Welsh win. If I was betting Id probably do the same. However I can't help but feel this will be really tough for Wales. I think the lack of creativity and subtlety may really cause Wales problems. Wales are not going to physically dominate the French, the majority of the collisions are going to be 50/50. I therefore struggle to see what facet of the game Wales see themselves dominating?

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:26 pm

wrfc1980 wrote:On paper most are going with a Welsh win. If I was betting Id probably do the same. However I can't help but feel this will be really tough for Wales. I think the lack of creativity and subtlety may really cause Wales problems. Wales are not going to physically dominate the French, the majority of the collisions are going to be 50/50. I therefore struggle to see what facet of the game Wales see themselves dominating?

Have you watched the French national team play rugby at all in the last year? In what way have they improved from last year?

They have some fine young players in Plisson and Danty, don't get me wrong but i wouldn't suggest they're in the same class as Biggar and Roberts at the moment

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by wrfc1980 Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:30 pm

Roberts has been great defensively this championship, infact he's been amazing. However he's offered little going forward. Biggar has a great kick chase but again does not unlock opposition defenses. I see much of this game as a stalemate. I think home advantage will tell and Wales will win, but as stated in my above post I think its going to be one big grind and wouldn't be shocked to see France come out on top.

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:36 pm

wrfc1980 wrote:On paper most are going with a Welsh win. If I was betting Id probably do the same. However I can't help but feel this will be really tough for Wales. I think the lack of creativity and subtlety may really cause Wales problems. Wales are not going to physically dominate the French, the majority of the collisions are going to be 50/50. I therefore struggle to see what facet of the game Wales see themselves dominating?

You don'T need to 'dominate' any facet of the game to win, it can certainly help but isn't necessary - what area has any one team 'dominated' in the tournament so far ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:37 pm

True Raven wrote:

Have you watched the French national team play rugby at all in the last year?  In what way have they improved from last year?

They have some fine young players in Plisson and Danty, don't get me wrong but i wouldn't suggest they're in the same class as Biggar and Roberts at the moment

Would that be "World Class" by any chance? Wink

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by wrfc1980 Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:42 pm

I guess what I am trying to say is that Wales big strength is their physicality which leads to penalty's and point scoring opportunities. I don't think they will necessarily win this physical battle against the French. I haven't seen much from Wales for a few years which suggests they can change tack and become more expansive. Even most Welsh observers would agree that Wales attacking proress under Howely is pretty pants.

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:53 pm

France dominated the scrum in the second half in Paris and crushed the life out any Irish come back. After their try they also dominated possession for the majority of the final 10 minutes, allowing the Irish no sniff of a scoring chance. So dominance of one or more facets of play can certainly win games.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:15 pm

wrfc1980 wrote:I guess what I am trying to say is that Wales big strength is their physicality which leads to penalty's and point scoring opportunities. I don't think they will necessarily win this physical battle against the French. I haven't seen much from Wales for a few years which suggests they can change tack and become more expansive. Even most Welsh observers would agree that Wales attacking proress under Howely is pretty pants.

Against Italy last year? We could have just played the forwards game, try to beat them upfront and tried to get penalties all game, as you suggest. But we were very expansive. A couple of tries from our own 22, for example. So they can change tack. Not as easy against better opposition, admittedly, but doesn't mean they can't.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dontheman2 Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:29 pm

Ffs wfc! Just try and enjoy it eh. Before you start pulling us to pieces or we'll all have to start crying. Have a go on this
https://youtu.be/r3hFzpUq6w4

Dontheman2

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:10 pm

I see Hallam Amos has not been allowed back to the Dragons, as he is the replacement back in case of injury, does anybody know if anyone has been allowed back to any of the Regions, I would assume either Moriarty or King would be the forward replacement, I wouldn't mind it being King, that way we could have 2 proper 2nd rows playing for us on Saturday against Connacht. Wouldn't mind James back.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:32 pm

Dontheman2 wrote:Ffs wfc! Just try and enjoy it eh. Before you start pulling us to pieces or we'll all have to start crying. Have a go on this
https://youtu.be/r3hFzpUq6w4

No "WRU" on the jersey? Noticed last week that when Scotland ran out, it said "Scotland" on the back of their track tops. "WRU" on the Welsh version. Should say Wales imo.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:11 pm

France head coach Guy Novès has opted to make five changes for Friday's Six Nations game against Wales in Cardiff.

Three of those come in the pack, with Rabah Slimani returning at tighthead prop in place of Uini Atonio.

Paul Jedrasiak comes into the second row as Yoann Maestri drops to the bench, while there's also a change in the back row as Antoine Burban takes over from Yacouba Camara.

Racing 92's Maxime Machenaud is given the nod at scrum-half ahead of Sébastien Bézy, while the final change sees Stade Français wing Djibril Camara earn a start.

Prop Vincent Pelo and fly-half François Trinh-Duc are also named on the bench as France bid to make it three wins out of three so far in the Six Nations.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:23 pm

That looks like a good French team. I surprised that Camara hasn't performed so well at international level as he has at club. Marchenaud seems to be a surprise selection.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:39 pm

Cement Head now on Cuthbert.

Cement wrote:don't think he's far away from getting back to some form and some confidence."

Brilliant

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:59 pm

I've been very critical of Frnce over the last 2/3 seasons, and running up to this tournament have been a little worried as I like Noves, and some of his selections seem pretty positive and forward thinking.

However looking at this France team compared to one of 6 years ago (Last time they won tournament) and it's clear to see they aren't the same animal by a long shot...

Mas
Domingo
Sarzevski
Pape
Maestri
Dusatuior
Harinordaquay
Picamoles
Parra
Yachvilli
Jauzion
Clerc
Rougerie

There were a ton of world class players in that team, if we were picking a team of the 6N right now I don't think many French players would make it.

I like what France are going to do, and wouldn't write them off totally, but like Scotland I see them as a work in progress, and stern opposition they will be, that tiny little extra capable of beating this Wales team in Cardiff I don't see.

SOB going off in Paris was huge IMO and the Irish team have become weaker by the round, France may not win an away game in reality.

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:11 pm

Was expecting a couple of changes only so have to say am quite surprised.
Machenaud instead of Bezy, why not , similar players but Machenaud did well every time he came from the bench and has more experience.
Burban instead of Camara, very surprised. Burban is more physical though and Noves must be trying something to disrupt the Welsh backrowers specially Warburton. Problem is that Burban is very injury prone these days. Was hoping to see Chouly moved to the flank and have a real number 8 instead...
Djibril Camara on the wing is clearly the biggest one : he's probably 6 or 7 in the pecking order, lacks discipline and no experience at this level. Big big call but again Bonneval was probably seen as too soft to face Cuthbert or North.
Think Poirot will struggle against Lee while our replacement LH is uncapped and lacks form imo.
All in all there is plenty of gambles in this team combined with a serious lack of experience so we could easily a trashing by Wales if something does not work out.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:37 am

whocares wrote:Was expecting a couple of changes only so have to say am quite surprised.
Machenaud instead of Bezy, why not , similar players but Machenaud did well every time he came from the bench and has more experience.
Burban instead of Camara, very surprised. Burban is more physical though and Noves must be trying something to disrupt the Welsh backrowers specially Warburton. Problem is that Burban is very injury prone these days. Was hoping to see Chouly moved to the flank and have a real number 8 instead...
Djibril Camara on the wing is clearly the biggest one : he's probably 6 or 7 in the pecking order, lacks discipline and no experience at this level. Big big call but again Bonneval was probably seen as too soft to face Cuthbert or North.
Think Poirot will struggle against Lee while our replacement LH is uncapped and lacks form imo.  
All in all there is plenty of gambles in this team combined with a serious lack of experience so we could easily a trashing by Wales if something does not work out.

Thanks for the insight, will be a brutal but close game I reckon thumbsup
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:27 am

munkian wrote:
whocares wrote:Was expecting a couple of changes only so have to say am quite surprised.

Thanks for the insight, will be a brutal but close game I reckon thumbsup

Inclined to agree, looks like an abrasive selection

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:04 am

maestegmafia wrote:Marchenaud (sic) seems to be a surprise selection.

Why do you say that? France improved both times he came off the bench.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:48 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Marchenaud (sic) seems to be a surprise selection.

Why do you say that? France improved both times he came off the bench.

Thought they were using him as an impact player

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:15 am

I had all but written France off using my head all week, now I wake up game day expecting to be humped by 50 +

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:48 am

It'll be close either way
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:50 am

Fanster wrote:I had all but written France off using my head all week, now I wake up game day expecting to be humped by 50 + men

Shocked

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:54 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
Fanster wrote:I had all but written France off using my head all week, now I wake up game day expecting to be humped by 50 + men

Shocked

picard
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:01 pm

Puerile, I know, but it was an open goal Smile

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:25 pm

For Wales the priority must be not to allow France the kind of attacking platforms Ireland and Scotland were able to exploit. Though the French offense hasn't been convincing in itself, Wales have been defending in a way which just invites opposition momentum and pressure. Especially with Cuthbert on the wing, long drawn-out phases of defending on the fringes or near the line are best avoided as much as possible. While I rate Cuthbert as an attacking player, I can't oppose the wave of criticism he's generally subject to as his defence has been comical to put it kindly.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:57 pm

Yes I wouldn't rate Cuthbert's chances as high if required to stop Vakatawa single handedly. If France are still in the game at half time (ie. not conceded any soft tries) then they have a fairly handy bench, although the scrum will suffer somewhat with the replacement props.

Could be a tight, tense affair with one mistake either way deciding the winner.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:16 pm

sensisball wrote:Yes I wouldn't rate Cuthbert's chances as high if required to stop Vakatawa single handedly. If France are still in the game at half time (ie. not conceded any soft tries) then they have a fairly handy bench, although the scrum will suffer somewhat with the replacement props.

Could be a tight, tense affair with one mistake either way deciding the winner.

I don't fancy Norths chances either or for that matter James if he had been picked.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:44 pm

Cuthbert is on the opposite wing to Vakatawa this week, I think. Pretty sure Vakatawa has changed wings.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:17 pm

The famous roof is fecked apparently, so will remain open to the elements.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35653445

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:36 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Puerile, I know, but it was an open goal Smile

Suits you.
Nowt wrong with being silly now and again anyway LP. Keep it up.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:46 pm

Bonne chance to anyone on here venturing into Cardiff tonight and good luck on getting back home, whether it be late into the night or early Saturday morning.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:54 pm

Wales to help England by knocking France off their unbeaten perch.
Hug

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:59 pm

Why always blydi Delilah?
It's not unusual, is by far the better song.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:04 pm

Is Fofana injured, or just out of favour?

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:09 pm

Brian Moore agreeing with Jiffy re overlaps; gonna be a long night of numbers, numbers.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:16 pm

Barnes' ego always has to have an impact on the game

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:21 pm

Paddy Doyle.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:25 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:Brian Moore agreeing with Jiffy re overlaps; gonna be a long night of numbers, numbers.

It's not unusual.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:27 pm

France were once a great team to watch but these late cheap shots are a disgrace...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next