The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If this is truly Djokovic's mindset about the FO I think it is wonderful for his chances

+11
bogbrush
Belovedluckyboy
Haddie-nuff
Guest82
lydian
Jahu
Henman Bill
temporary21
HM Murdock
paulcz
socal1976
15 posters

Go down

If this is truly Djokovic's mindset about the FO I think it is wonderful for his chances Empty If this is truly Djokovic's mindset about the FO I think it is wonderful for his chances

Post by socal1976 Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:36 am

"Whether or not I win the French Open, it's not going to change, significantly, the way I look at my career," Djokovic said in this video interview produced by Head, his racquet sponsor.

"Of course, it will be nice if I get to win it at least once before I stop playing tennis. But I'm not going to stress myself too much about it."

http://www.tennisnow.com/News/2016/February/Djokovic-No-Stress-to-Win-Roland-Garros.aspx

For so long in my opinion, Novak has overblown the French open win for himself and it has cost him in crucial situations when he had Nadal still playing great tennis, on the ropes at RG like no one else has ever had on multiple occasions. Each time frankly he choked away the opportunity. His level dropped at the end in the crucial stage from where it was throughout the match and bad misses occurred over and over and over again. It is because he built it up too much in his own head and psyched himself out. He has now won so much, and is so much smarter, and more mature that if he maintains this outlook of treating the RG more like just another match or tournament then he will win it this year. A loose and free Djokovic currently on tour is someone nobody can live with.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

If this is truly Djokovic's mindset about the FO I think it is wonderful for his chances Empty Re: If this is truly Djokovic's mindset about the FO I think it is wonderful for his chances

Post by paulcz Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:19 am

Novak has all cards in his hands to own all four GS and become a tennis legend. He is more experienced, plays his best tennis, has best team behind him, only thing he needs is to stay healthy or ace of spades Cool
That would be an achievement.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

If this is truly Djokovic's mindset about the FO I think it is wonderful for his chances Empty Re: If this is truly Djokovic's mindset about the FO I think it is wonderful for his chances

Post by HM Murdock Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:23 am

Good.

Was it in 2013 he asked reporters not to ask him any questions about future opponents because he didn't want to think about it? Now that was a player who was psyched out.

I, on the other hand, will be a nervous wreck during RG!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:43 am

HM Murdock wrote:Good.

Was it in 2013 he asked reporters not to ask him any questions about future opponents because he didn't want to think about it? Now that was a player who was psyched out.

I, on the other hand, will be a nervous wreck during RG!

It is always much worse for fans than for players, but Novak is so good that his fans can relax, other camps will be nervous as never. If he does, it is amazing if not he surely gets another chance.

Maybe one thing could help him, it is nobody else than Stepanek as a sparing partner, he proved to be right one at AO Very Happy

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:22 am

He'll do it this year if he isn't injured. Fed probably won't be fully at the races, murray can't do it. Wawrinka can't oull off two miracles, and it would take another miracle for rafa to find enough form

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:24 am

Murdoch, Paul I think the calmer and less psyched up he is the better. He has already shown that when he is free flowing his baseline level is so much higher than the rest of the tour. He won the AO and really outside of two really good sets he never really hit top gear very often in that tournament but he still won. I think we will see him play well if he actually sticks to the truth of this statement.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:35 am

I suspect his statement is only half true; he will feel the pressure in FO semi final or final alright.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:26 pm

More of a I'm dying to win it, since no one likes me, at least let me get the FO, and be nearer to Fed & Nadal.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:09 pm

Henman Bill wrote:I suspect his statement is only half true; he will feel the pressure in FO semi final or final alright.

I agree to an extent I mean it is easier said than done to just not make a big deal of it and treat it like another match. But if he gets pushed into a corner against an opponent that has the game to make it count the pressure of all the passed failures has to comeback. That being said I do feel he is more mature, and a better player than in 2012 and 2013 where he had his big chokes at RG. Plus a monster like the Nadal of that period does not exist. Stan is the defending champ but he doesn't have that kind of aura of consistent dominance at RG.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:38 pm

Stan is Djokovics biggest threat of late and it took an inspired Raonic 5 sets to stop him at AO. Make no mistake Djokovic fears Stan because he knows the match is often on Stans racquet because he has the power to hit right through Djokovic (and anyone else) if he's on his game. Their past matches at AO have shown that too, so RG15 wasn't a fluke.
Anyway, he still the favourite right now but there is a long way to go until RG arrives.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:58 pm

lydian wrote:Stan is Djokovics biggest threat of late and it took an inspired Raonic 5 sets to stop him at AO. Make no mistake Djokovic fears Stan because he knows the match is often on Stans racquet because he has the power to hit right through Djokovic (and anyone else) if he's on his game. Their past matches at AO have shown that too, so RG15 wasn't a fluke.
Anyway, he still the favourite right now but there is a long way to go until RG arrives.

Yeah have to say I think he'd be very pleased if someone takes Stan out early. In a strange way, clay favours Djokovic more than most of the other surfaces. Federer is not really a threat, Murray has had one good season on the stuff and still lost to Djokovic. Rafa was obviously the major problem for everyone else, but unless he finds some form which seems unlikely then can't see him being a problem. Which just leaves Stan...

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:26 pm

Henman Bill wrote:I suspect his statement is only half true; he will feel the pressure in FO semi final or final alright.

Absolutely, trying to convince himself rather than anyone else I would think.. say something often enough and you believe it Rolling Eyes
He wants that title so bad he can taste it.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:42 am

Er..why is Rafa finding form being unlikely? Are we basing on his AO form to say that? Dont forget he was playing on the HCs for the past 8 months; we shall see how he plays on clay before jumping into any conclusion.

Clay is NOT the surface that favors Novak, if not he would have won the FO by now. Its on clay at the FO that he's most vulnerable to the top players - Fed, Stan and Rafa. On the other surfaces he could beat them all ( maybe not at USO vs a top form Rafa).

A Simon or Seppi type of player will make him grind and grind; a Isner or Raonic type of player may be dangerous on clay as they are given more time to get to the balls and yet their serves are still lethal even on clay.

Clay has now become his worst surface imo, having the lowest success rate compared to other surfaces though he's no mug on clay.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:08 am

Belovedluckyboy wrote:Er..why is Rafa finding form being unlikely?  Are we basing on his AO form to say that? Dont forget he was playing on the HCs for the past 8 months; we shall see how he plays on clay before jumping into any conclusion.  

Clay is NOT the surface that favors Novak, if not he would have won the FO by now. Its on clay at the FO that he's most vulnerable to the top players - Fed, Stan and Rafa.  On the other surfaces he could beat them all ( maybe not at USO vs a top form Rafa).

A Simon or Seppi type of player will make him grind and grind; a Isner or Raonic type of player may be dangerous on clay as they are given more time to get to the balls and yet their serves are still lethal even on clay.

Clay has now become his worst surface imo, having the lowest success rate compared to other surfaces though he's no mug on clay.

Rafa hasn't won a major event for 18 months. I'd say that itself is enough to say it is unlikely he will be a threat to a dominant number one. I'd never completely write him off, but its looking more and more unlikely.

Federer isn't troubling him these days on clay. Federer himself knows this and is skipping a lot of the clay season.

Of course Simon or Seppi can make him grind, unlikely they will beat him though. Raonic or Isner are given more time to get to balls, but also people are given more time to get to theirs.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:13 am

If I was  to discount Rafa's chances (which Im not) it has to be remembered that Raonic's game has improved greatly, mainly because he has been training on clay.  Ive only ever believed that Novak's superior surface is hc.  I can see Stan (if he brings his A game) or Raonic being a threat.  Rafa indeed would have to find his past form.. but Novak can downplay his ambition, or indeed his chances as much as he likes.. like Federer before him this is the one that eludes him...he wants it and he wants it bad so yes he is under pressure imo to produce the goods once and for all. Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:44 am

I think at the moment Djokovic is superior on ALL surfaces. Doesn't mean he will win them all though...but even Federer at his peak didn't start all four slams as favourite, obviously because of Rafa.

Obviously the pressure he feels to win it is a major part of it. Although last year was the first year he didn't have to play an on form Rafa and he probably would have won it, but for Stan playing at such a high standard.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:50 am

He should be utterly relaxed; the clay GOAT is in decline, Federer is closing in on 35. Seriously, how can he lose it?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:31 am

bogbrush wrote:Seriously, how can he lose it?
Fall into the net.
Double fault on match point.
Get involved in an unnecessary bloodbath in the SF.
Get stitched up by the scheduling.
Spend the match waiting for an opponent to miss.
Too hot.
Too windy.
"Emotionally flat".
Badly-judged drop shots.

And of course:

Fogniniiiiiiiii!

Us Djoko-watchers have been spoiled for choice down the years! Wink

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:03 am

True, if he's too windy he might be troubled. Diet is key.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:11 am

Careful you are sounding like socal... he can lose it, Rafa wasn't his problem last year.. he still lost it.
As I say.. though I do not like him... watch out for Raonic
Lets not have another GLOAT debate Rolling Eyes

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:21 am

bogbrush wrote:He should be utterly relaxed; the clay GOAT is in decline, Federer is closing in on 35. Seriously, how can he lose it?

Possibly a 31 year old Wawrinka ?

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:29 am

I seem to remember many years ago everyone said Rosewall could not keep losing Wimbledon
The History books have told a different story... egg

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:30 am

Novaks FH or BH is not dominant enough on clay for him to warrant any French Open's, he isn't as talented a striker as Nadal, Stan or prime Federer which is why he will struggle to ever get his hands on the trophy.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:05 pm

Whether or not I win the French Open, it's not going to change, significantly, the way I look at my career," Djokovic said.

"Of course, it will be nice if I get to win it at least once before I stop playing tennis. But I'm not going to stress myself too much about it."

Djoko is kidding himself. It will make A BIG difference to his career is he doesn't win the French. He's already a great champion and is in the middle of a phenomenal run. But they'll always be those - fairly or not - to say "Ah, but he never won RG" if he fails to pull it off in Paris.
This is always going to be the tricky one for Nole. I still find it staggering he didn't win last year. He'd beaten Rafa and he was a set up in the final. Like Rafa at times before, Nole is trying to reduce the pressure on himself over the French.
He's firm favourite for RG , and for every tournament at the moment. Deep down, he knows just how important the French is.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:27 pm

Of course he wants it.. and he wants it bad. You can fool some of the people all of the time...etc etc.
Those who believe he doesn't are deluding themselves.. Federer wanted it and said a big thank you to Soderling
Novak wants the FO and the Olympic Gold
Federer wants the Olympic Gold.
Rafa wants the WTF

Trophy cabinets are then complete notworthy

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:33 pm

sirfredperry wrote:But they'll always be those - fairly or not - to say "Ah, but he never won RG" if he fails to pull it off in Paris.
And he will do well to ignore them.

Borg only won at two slams but everyone recognises him as a great.

Sampras never got beyond the SF at RG but everyone recognises him as a great.

I'd much rather Djokovic wins two more AO and ends on 13 than win one RG and end on 12.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:52 pm

HMM - There's no disputing the greatness of Borg and Sampras. But I bet Pete would have loved to have won all four Slams. Bit different in Bjorn's day, in that a lot of players used to skip the Australian so there was less emphasis on the career Slam.
If Djoko retired now he would be considered one of the sport's all-time greats. He'd love the French, though !

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:57 pm

Borg only won at two slams but everyone recognises him as a great.

Yes we do but ask HIM if he would love to have one the lot.. Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:04 pm

If I were Novak I would definitely take one French over two more other slams. 11 or 12 slams makes little difference, the career slam does. To be honest, both should be small fry to his realistic targets which should be the CYGS this year and closing down on 17.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:22 pm

To the comments above: yes, undoubtedly Djoko himself would love to win the French!

But I agree with the mentality of not letting it have too much effect on how he views his career.

All of the most successful players have "gaps" in their CV to a greater or lesser extent. It seems pointless to feel disappointed over the ones that got away when there is so much success that can be celebrated. They've all had careers that most players can only dream of.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:28 pm

HMM you agree with what he is saying yes!!! but good luck to you if you believe it I dont

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:49 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:HMM you agree with what he is saying yes!!! but good luck to you if you believe it I dont
What part is not believable?:

- that he'd like to win it at least once before he stops playing.
- how he views his career will not change significantly depending on whether he wins or doesn't win RG.

It seems a healthy attitude to me. He wants to win it but isn't going to obsess about it. That appears in keeping with what seems like his general attitude of being very happy with his lot in life.

I personally think he's become reconciled to the idea that he may not win it. Same as he appears to be have become reconciled to the idea that he won't get the love of the crowd.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:57 pm

HMM - Re the crowd response: Johnny Mac once said that crowds - or at least British crowds - only start loving you when you start losing. Look at the extraordinary reception Djoko got at the 2015 RG final after losing. The crowd appreciated how much he'd wanted to win and how much it hurt to lose.
Take Lleyton Hewitt. Not that much cared for when he was number one, but much appreciated in his latter years for his sheer longevity and for his perseverance and wholeheartedness at a time when he was no longer a major contender.
For Djoko, with loss will come love!

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:03 pm

I just think he is convincing himself as well as you HMM.. healthy but an unrealistic attitude He would never be where he is now had he built his career saying believing that.. He wants it Very Happy

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:14 pm

I agree it would be the icing on the grand cake for Djokovic. It would be a shame if he didn't win the French as there is no doubt he's an all time great on the very top tier of all the greats from Edberg and Boris upwards. HMM, I believe he's deeply passionate about winning RG as its the last thing in tennis he can win (except OG but that's minor compared). The problem is that every year he doesn't win it (and he's been in 3 finals now) the pressure BUILDS...so he ends up putting huge pressure on himself and therefore goes through the mantra of telling himself its not important. However, I think that will only add to the problem once the event comes. Anyway, he's an all time great whatever...and to be honest does winning all 4 these days mean QUITE as much as before when Mac, Borg, etc, tried to win all 4 given each surface then was truly different??? Its more about absolute slam count these days you feel. Obviously winning all 4 in one year is still an achievement given how hard it is to win all the major events in a short space of time.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:26 am

I think this year because of the run he is on the French open is ironically the most pivotal since 2011. Because if he wins and holds all four slams at once something that only Laver has accomlished in the open era then he will take a substantial uplift in his status among the greats. Now he is in the Agassi, Mac or higher level of accomplishment but this would push up very near the heights of Olympus. So no rest for the wicked this French Open will be the second most pressure packed for him since 2011 and ever

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:52 am

Actually I do think failing to win a USO does hang over Borg. Not the AO obviously, but he tried and was thwarted by Connors & Mac.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:03 am

I think another loss in the final would be devastating. Four finals played, four finals lost, plus a de facto final lost from 4-2 up in the 5th. They are hard numbers to bounce back from.

I think I'd prefer him to blow out in the first round than lose another final.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:07 am

I just watched this and now I feel even worse about RG.

The margins between success and failure can be miniscule. If Fed's shot were a few inches to the right, he never wins Roland Garros.

Insane.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down