The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Warrior mindset - Youngsters lacking?

5 posters

Go down

A Warrior mindset - Youngsters lacking? Empty A Warrior mindset - Youngsters lacking?

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 29 May 2012, 5:01 pm

I remember the spirited fights Robin Hasse gave against Rafa on Wimbledon 2nd or 3rd round, for that sake A Fella gave one hell of a fight against Roger Federer [could have even won it], not to forget Big Johhny Bravo leading 2 sets to 1 against Rafa in FO 1st round, the common point between them is all fought bravely against the odds but went down in the end. The crowd realized the fight, fans relished it.

Its often the fight explains the character more than the results, while all these where unfortunate to draw big seeds in earlier rounds they decided to turn up and fight and give the seeds one hell of a time rather than bowing out without turning up thinking they got a bad draw.

This is exactly the case with S Bolleli, I once wrote in 606, that this guy is the poor version of Roger Federer, had a similar style of RF but 0% mentality on hardwork or for fight, he just didn't turn up for the match against Rafa, yes beating Rafa is close to impossibility in RG even the GOAT RF found it hard way, but what about a fight?

Should these players be penalized for losing so badly? may be some points deduction? Rolling Eyes , its ironic that some youngersters even given the talent doesn't wanna work hard and take the sport as a hobby at the highest level rather than any kind of serious profession. There was thread raised do Murray treat tennis just as a profession without enjoying it? but even in that case there is some work ethic from the poor guy, but I got no words to explain the anger in seeing some youngsters bow out without even trying.

Maybe rather than point deduction how about triple pay as bonus for beating a top seed ? Very Happy do you think the incentives might make them work hard to go for the giant kill, so rather than worrying about being drawn on the same side of a top seed, some might see this as a chance of being lucky to have drawn against the top seeds as they have a chance to earn a lot of big money?

Ferrer for all the limited talent never goes down without a fight, may be the current generation should learn a lot from the Pest of past.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

A Warrior mindset - Youngsters lacking? Empty Re: A Warrior mindset - Youngsters lacking?

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 29 May 2012, 5:11 pm

Meanwhile Dolog the 16th seed lost the 1st round match to Sergiy Stakhovsky

Stakhovsky(UKR) def. Alexandr Dolgopolov(UKR)[16]
6-7(4) 6-4 7-6(4) 3-6 6-3

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

A Warrior mindset - Youngsters lacking? Empty Re: A Warrior mindset - Youngsters lacking?

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 29 May 2012, 5:29 pm

Gulbis is a prime example of what you are saying ic.. the poor little rich guy who played for a hobby.. didnt need the money so didn´t bother to train.. yet had all that talent.. where is he by the way ???

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 29 May 2012, 5:30 pm

Bolleli has being spiralling down for a while...was 30-40 in the world but now down at 111 (I think)...and you have to figure that for these journeymen it must be almost like a civilian being traipsed out to fight a gladiator in the Coliseum - the will to win must be sapped almost immediately.

At the end of the day re: talent...you do need the will to win and thats another talent in its own right. We've seen countless talented youngsters who flatter to deceive in a few matches only to start descending once the true grind starts, e.g. Gulbis is a great case in point.

I dont think you can coach will to win...it comes from within and I'm not sure an incentive or penalty can motivate it other than what fundamentally motivates the player to start with.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 29 May 2012, 5:31 pm

lol...HN...see we both picked party-animal Gulbis as an example of someone with no fight in them. Donald Young is another I think.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 29 May 2012, 6:43 pm

invisible - I agree with the general thrust of your article.

I would however question your description of Bolelli as "the poor version of Roger Federer" Erm

There were undoubtedly flashes today of just what Bolelli can do for short bursts ; but not a single title to his name, and just one final reached, after almost nine years as a pro ....?? To merit the label of even 'a poor version' of RF methinks you'd need to be a lot better than Signor Bolelli is .......

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Tue 29 May 2012, 7:23 pm

I'm a youngster and I have a warrior mindset. Unfortunately though I have no game.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 May 2012, 7:29 pm

A warriors mindset is not really what youngsters need. At some stage even the best players have endured a hammering. The response from the defeat is what is key. Do players go away and put more practice in and improve? Or players only as good as they are going to get.

Let's be frank there has been no change really in the top 4 for nearly 3 years. Some players may only reach say 65 in the world and not excel beyond that. It becomes a case of Capability v Ability. What abilities do players have and what are they capable of?

I think it is harsh to fine them or even reward them. If they want to play at Slams then they have to put the work in year in year out to earn a spot.

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 29 May 2012, 8:35 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:Gulbis is a prime example of what you are saying ic.. the poor little rich guy who played for a hobby.. didnt need the money so didn´t bother to train.. yet had all that talent.. where is he by the way ???

Exactly HN, Gulbis is the same guy who scared Rafa to a defeat in Wimbeldon but there afterwards he never really cared for the game and played just for fun. furious

@LYD - yea you nailed it when it comes to will power, it can't be trained, but where are the guys with will power and the passion for the game, are they not coming up the rank coz of finances? may be ATP should invest more to find talented youngsters with passion for the game.

@Lags - poor version of RF in terms of style, he has an elegant style, he is no way near RF [not even 1% when comes to consistency, hardwork or passion for the game]. I have said about this a long time back, if I remember it was in 2008 @ 606.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 29 May 2012, 8:42 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:A warriors mindset is not really what youngsters need. At some stage even the best players have endured a hammering. The response from the defeat is what is key. Do players go away and put more practice in and improve? Or players only as good as they are going to get. .

LK, some players dont even turn up for the match with a mindset to play thinking they got an unlucky draw of facing a top seed early on compared to other players of same ranking having an easy outing, this kind of mindset have to be changed.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 May 2012, 9:37 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:A warriors mindset is not really what youngsters need. At some stage even the best players have endured a hammering. The response from the defeat is what is key. Do players go away and put more practice in and improve? Or players only as good as they are going to get. .

LK, some players dont even turn up for the match with a mindset to play thinking they got an unlucky draw of facing a top seed early on compared to other players of same ranking having an easy outing, this kind of mindset have to be changed.

Granted, but look at the rankings it is made up of up and coming players and players falling from their peak. Dimitrov is a classic example of someone who came up the rankings and then fell again. Would we say that was down to attitude or his game being near complete?

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 30 May 2012, 3:56 am

obvious , tats my point Dimi just dont have a warrior mindset to puch himself on tougher matches.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down