The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Go Again! The Premier League thread

+35
socal1976
Nay
Holymiky
Nico the gman
dyrewolfe
Alistair
Atila
nathan
Jermaine2015
compelling and rich
Stella
Breadvan
Lowlandbrit
1GrumpyGolfer
TopoftheChops
JDizzle
Duty281
sirfredperry
hampo17
guildfordbat
Mat
kingraf
Crimey
GSC
lfc91
Dolphin Ziggler
Corporalhumblebucket
westisbest
TRUSSMAN66
Hammersmith harrier
NickisBHAFC
Hero
Fernando
Ent
Good Golly I'm Olly
39 posters

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

We Go Again! The Premier League thread - Page 11 Empty We Go Again! The Premier League thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 12 Jan 2016, 9:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

Olly wrote:Would very much appreciate it if Utd stopped being poo thanks

Ta
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

We Go Again! The Premier League thread - Page 11 Empty Re: We Go Again! The Premier League thread

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 04 Feb 2016, 10:43 am

Quality of overall player maybe, but momentum, happiness, squad cohesion and atmosphere of the club is hugely important

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

We Go Again! The Premier League thread - Page 11 Empty Re: We Go Again! The Premier League thread

Post by GSC Thu 04 Feb 2016, 10:59 am

Aye, but Swansea had the promotion momentum behind them. Picking a team up is a different job.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 05 Feb 2016, 11:01 am

Guardiola is on £25 million a year at Manchester City, most likely that is including all bonuses etc. but still a huge amount of money.

Mourinho's highest wage was supposedly £12 million a year to put it into perspective.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 05 Feb 2016, 11:16 am

If he can get it, good for him
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 05 Feb 2016, 3:29 pm

Off to villa park tomorrow - big big game

Hoping to see Bamford start and Redmond back in the side.

Need the three points, but gut feeling is a tight cagey 1-1 draw
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 05 Feb 2016, 5:04 pm

Enjoy Villa Park. Could be last time you visit it for a while(if you stay up of course).

Think it could be a draw to.

Few injuries and of course Ayew suspended.

Hopefully Bunn can continue his good form and keep his old side out.

However I was a bit critical of him Tuesday night, certainly for second goal. Went down to quick.

But have been impressed with him since he came in.

Could be one of the top keepers in the championship next season.

That is if we keep hold of him.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Feb 2016, 7:34 pm

big game at st. james' vs wba 2moro & we've got a defensive injury crisis. lose & mcclaren will be gone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 05 Feb 2016, 8:15 pm

Crimey wrote:Guardiola is on £25 million a year at Manchester City, most likely that is including all bonuses etc. but still a huge amount of money.

Mourinho's highest wage was supposedly £12 million a year to put it into perspective.

Guardiola in all honesty isn't in Mourinho's league as a manager so it's stupid money for a name manager.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Feb 2016, 9:52 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Guardiola in all honesty isn't in Mourinho's league as a manager so it's stupid money for a name manager.

Looks like it will be Mourinho vs Guardiola in Manchester next summer, so we'll get to judge for ourselves, who's worthy of their pay.

John wrote:big game at st. james' vs wba 2moro & we've got a defensive injury crisis. lose & mcclaren will be gone.

has 0-1 berahino written all over it

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 05 Feb 2016, 9:56 pm

Guardiola will be remembered longer than Mourinho

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 05 Feb 2016, 10:18 pm

For someone who isn't in his league, he gave him a few pastings.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Feb 2016, 10:24 pm

Not sure I agree with that. Do you mean in terms of achievements, because there's really not much difference. In terms of style, yes, but football is not all about one particular style of football, it's about winning & there isn't really another manager in world football, who knows how to achieve that, than Mourinho. Jose has won the Champions League with two different sides, whereas Guardiola has just won it Barcelona. Jose has won the Uefa Cup, PL, Serie A, La Liga & Primeira Liga, whereas Josep has just won league titles in Spain & Germany. So in terms of achievements, Jose has a strong case to be remembered. Character wise too, Mourinho is far more colourful & opinionated & engages with media in ways that have only further enhanced his standing as one of the most controversial figures in the game. I'd say more people, outside of the game, recognise the Jose Mourino name, than Josep Guardiola.

Who knows what they will achieve over the next decade, but I'm not sure you can state that Guardiola will be remembered more than Jose. I honestly think he needs to showcase something quite extraordinary at Manchester City, because I still think your 'remembered' comment, is purely based on that Barcelona side, including possibly the greatest footballer that there has ever been, who Guardiola will always be linked too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 05 Feb 2016, 10:36 pm

Whilst the majority of the time Mourinho and Guardiola have merely piggy-backed on the success of already-established clubs, thus contributing little of note and achieving very little, it can at least be said that the former's European victory with Porto was rather...special.

So that gives Mourinho the edge over the other hugely overrated manager.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 06 Feb 2016, 10:11 am

Duty281 wrote:Whilst the majority of the time Mourinho and Guardiola have merely piggy-backed on the success of already-established clubs, thus contributing little of note and achieving very little, it can at least be said that the former's European victory with Porto was rather...special.

That is absolutely spot on Duty, I do not buy into the theory of Guardiola turning Barcelona around as they'd taken us all the way in the Champions league and as far as i'm concerned Bayern were better under Heynckes. Mourinho has Porto and Inter as stand out achievements.

I do however think both Manchester teams will end up with the right manager; City have the players and don't require a rebuild whilst we need tinkering, would like to Guardiola take on a challenge for once though.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 06 Feb 2016, 10:23 am

city will be peps biggest challenge so far, i agree with duty that porto success (uefa then champions league back to back lets not forget) does tip mourinho in the lead. winning the league with bayern after buying dortmunds best players doesnt add up much in legacy between the two. any half decent manager would win the league with them (say pellgrini for instance, we wouldnt be lauding him as much)

mourinho now needs to prove he can stay at a club for a time without its all falling to pieces after a few years. peps hardly stuck about either to be fair. as a united fan cant say ive been mourinho's biggest fan on a personal level but he's clearly the best manager out there and will surely do better than the last two if he does come

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 06 Feb 2016, 10:29 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Whilst the majority of the time Mourinho and Guardiola have merely piggy-backed on the success of already-established clubs, thus contributing little of note and achieving very little, it can at least be said that the former's European victory with Porto was rather...special.

That is absolutely spot on Duty, I do not buy into the theory of Guardiola turning Barcelona around as they'd taken us all the way in the Champions league and as far as i'm concerned Bayern were better under Heynckes. Mourinho has Porto and Inter as stand out achievements.

I do however think both Manchester teams will end up with the right manager; City have the players and don't require a rebuild whilst we need tinkering, would like to Guardiola take on a challenge for once though.

not too sure about city not needing to rebuild HH, yaya will be gone in the summer. fernando and fernadinho both fairly average barely any back up other than delph. thats nearly a whole new midfield they need. all there full backs are average (including zab these days) and there all getting older and worse. still a total reliance on aguero up front with bony probably going, and still a decent cb to partner kompany (although pep will probably play a cm there)

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 06 Feb 2016, 12:21 pm

The cult of Pep will be remembered long beyond Mourinho. They will write books about Pep's teams years and years in the future, hark back to the Barcelona he created that reinvented how they were seen and had the whole world chasing them in terms of style. Jose may have the CV points, that Barcelona side were arguably the best theres ever been. And a real dynasty was created. There'll always be wingless wonders, Brazil 1970, Total Football and Pep's Barcelona is part of that conversation.

"Achieving very little" is just stupidity. And certainly Pep leaves his teams in better shape as he parts than Jose does.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 06 Feb 2016, 12:31 pm

Pep also tends to leave clubs without burning all his bridges.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 06 Feb 2016, 12:38 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:The cult of Pep will be remembered long beyond Mourinho. They will write books about Pep's teams years and years in the future, hark back to the Barcelona he created that reinvented how they were seen and had the whole world chasing them in terms of style. Jose may have the CV points, that Barcelona side were arguably the best theres ever been. And a real dynasty was created. There'll always be wingless wonders, Brazil 1970, Total Football and Pep's Barcelona is part of that conversation.

"Achieving very little" is just stupidity. And certainly Pep leaves his teams in better shape as he parts than Jose does.

To be honest the subsequent success of other managers puts his achievements at Barcelona into context, the group of players he inherited were the main driving force behind his success rather than he himself.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 06 Feb 2016, 12:41 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:The cult of Pep will be remembered long beyond Mourinho. They will write books about Pep's teams years and years in the future, hark back to the Barcelona he created that reinvented how they were seen and had the whole world chasing them in terms of style. Jose may have the CV points, that Barcelona side were arguably the best theres ever been. And a real dynasty was created. There'll always be wingless wonders, Brazil 1970, Total Football and Pep's Barcelona is part of that conversation.

They did achieve very little. The majority of the time Pep and Mourinho do exactly as expected, nothing more, nothing less - and the huge resources granted to them negates the challenge quite heavily. How successful would Pep be at a club at the opposite end of the spectrum?

Could Pep do something similar to what Ferguson did at Aberdeen, or Clough at Derby or Forest? I wouldn't hold my breath.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 06 Feb 2016, 12:43 pm

Out of interest Dolph who were the managers of those teams?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 06 Feb 2016, 12:45 pm

Its this bizarre view that its easy to just be the best. There's a reason Sam Allardyce doesnt get to manage Real Madrid. Pulis will never manage top four. They arent the managers for it.

And I think the man himself is the reason for the subsequent success. That Barcelona team of before Pep were nothing to what they became. The only player he did not improve was Puyol.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 06 Feb 2016, 12:46 pm

The Barcelona team before Pep were sensational Dolph, the improvements he made to them are overblown; any manager with Messi, Xavi and Iniesta is going to have success.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 06 Feb 2016, 12:48 pm

Good point, although I know it was Zagallo, but I know what you mean, and Total Football isn't really of one manager. But Pep has moved on his style to Bayern and there is no doubting City will change for Pep's influence, so its slightly different.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 06 Feb 2016, 12:48 pm

That Barca team were good, but not renowned like Pep made them.

And Leicester are winning

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 06 Feb 2016, 12:50 pm

Atrocious defending from City.

Whilst I still think Arsenal will ultimately triumph, I would love Leicester to pull off the greatest victory of them all.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 06 Feb 2016, 12:53 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Good point, although I know it was Zagallo, but I know what you mean, and Total Football isn't really of one manager. But Pep has moved on his style to Bayern and there is no doubting City will change for Pep's influence, so its slightly different.

The style might be at Bayern but he needs to replicate Heynckes treble to be remembered, just like Klopp benefitted from Bayern being in transition there is no doubting Dortmund have been as equally poor.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 06 Feb 2016, 12:55 pm

Happy to see Zabaleta back in City's team. Always been a fan

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 06 Feb 2016, 1:03 pm

Yep definitely hard to see Pep succeeding in a league where Ranieri is on top of the log
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Feb 2016, 1:15 pm

The Inter CL triumph was even sweeter, in my opinion. There was a better field in the 09/10 Champions League.

Both of Mourinho's CL wins are impressive, mind.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 06 Feb 2016, 1:25 pm

Most CL wins tend to be impressive
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Feb 2016, 1:27 pm

Smart arse.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 06 Feb 2016, 1:33 pm

We'd win the league if we had Aguero, nearly every other team in this league would win the title with Aguero up top. City are not playing well, but Aguero is incredible.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 06 Feb 2016, 1:35 pm

Leicester's shield wall is so endearing; Aguero is being bullied out of the game beautifully.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sat 06 Feb 2016, 1:43 pm

Pep has won as many trophies as a manager as he's lost league games (19).

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 06 Feb 2016, 1:45 pm

There's a lot of his dad in Kasper Schmeichel's goalkeeping.

I've heard Peter Schmeichel comment, ''Often the manager wants the ball played out from the back but sometimes you have to kick it upfield or into touch. I don't care. Just away from the goal.''

Young Kasper has far more about him than just being a hoof it away merchant but what impresses me is that, just like his father, he has the judgment and confidence to make the right decision regardless of what it looks like.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Feb 2016, 1:52 pm

Mahrez is unbelievable . Player of the year easily

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 06 Feb 2016, 1:53 pm

What a cool finish.

They still have to go to the Emirates, Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge, but are Leicester now favourites for the league?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Feb 2016, 1:56 pm

Sit back frustrate Arsenal & hit on counter, it suits Leicester. United aren't great & Chelsea have lost at home to palace, Southampton , Liverpool etc etc. Leicester have no fear about away games.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Feb 2016, 2:04 pm

This is unreal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Feb 2016, 2:06 pm

0-3

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 06 Feb 2016, 2:09 pm

This is crazy, they were fighting for their premier league survival this time last year.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Feb 2016, 2:51 pm

Pulis has decided to be overly-negative, as WBA have Lambert, Berahino, Pritchard, Sessegnon & Rondon on the bench, against a Newcastle side struggling with no confidence picard

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Feb 2016, 2:54 pm

LiamB wrote:Pulis has decided to be overly-negative, as WBA have Lambert, Berahino, Pritchard, Sessegnon & Rondon on the bench, against a Newcastle side struggling with no confidence picard

What you making of Pulis' reign? Happy with him?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Feb 2016, 2:57 pm

He's doing the job the club require. The club lack any ambition, so 17th or above & it's job done. The football we play is dire, especially at the Hawthorns. Not quite sure why we have our best attacking options on the bench, against a Newcastle side, who leak goals & have Steven Taylor back for the first time in months & Rolando Aarons at left back. They're vulnerable, so Pulis goes negative.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Feb 2016, 3:32 pm

Newcastle 1-0 WBA - Mitrovic

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Feb 2016, 3:34 pm

17% possession for WBA. Beyond bad

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 06 Feb 2016, 3:39 pm

Man city had £200m more than Leicester on the pitch today. It certainly didn't look that way

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Feb 2016, 3:43 pm

Stoke 0-3 Everton - Lennon

Hughes has a problem now, United did them with ease, out of both cups & now a mauling at home. Palace, another side in danger of entering a relegation fight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Feb 2016, 3:46 pm

Aston Villa 1-0 Norwich - Lescott

WBA up to 23% possession picard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next