The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Howard Davis R.I.P.

5 posters

Go down

Howard Davis R.I.P. Empty Howard Davis R.I.P.

Post by Atila Thu 31 Dec 2015, 4:13 pm

Howard Davis, most outstanding boxer at 1976 Olympics, dead at 59
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxing/howard-davis--most-outstanding-boxer-at-1976-olympics--dead-at-59-063724682.html

Howard Davis Jr., who was voted the most outstanding fighter at the 1976 Olympics in Montreal in a year in which the U.S. may have fielded its greatest team ever, died Wednesday at 59 after a short battle with cancer.

His brother, Kenny Davis, confirmed the news.

Davis won the lightweight gold medal at the 1976 Games, just five years after he had taken up boxing. He was an inspirational figure as he fought for his 37-year-old mother, who had died of a heart attack two days before the Games began.

The 1976 Olympic boxing tournament featured some of the greatest fighters to have ever lived, including Americans Sugar Ray Leonard and Michael Spinks and Cuban heavyweight Teofilo Stevenson, but it was Davis who won the Val Barker Award as the Games' most outstanding boxer.

He used his fast hands and precise punches to take the gold, defeating Simion Cutov of Romania in the final match. He'd also beaten the likes of Aaron Pryor and Thomas Hearns in the amateurs.

Writing in Sports Illustrated after the Olympics, the legendary Pat Putnam said, "Howard Davis is even more skilled as a fighter than Leonard. A remarkably clever boxer, he thinks people who can take a punch to deliver one are foolish."

Davis, who had a 125-5 amateur record, told Putnam in Montreal that he didn't see the sense of getting into slugfests.

I'm no brawler. The Europeans take a lot of punches. They get cut up, and looking ugly is just part of the day's work. But I don't want to be ugly. I'm not crazy.

Davis had a solid, though not spectacular, career as a pro. He went 36-6-1 with 14 knockouts as a pro, but failed to win a world title. He lost WBC lightweight title bouts to Jim Watt in 1980 and Edwin Rosario in 1984. He dropped an IBF junior welterweight title match to Buddy McGirt in 1988.

After his fight career ended, Davis stayed in the sport and began training fighters. He eventually began to train MMA fighters as well as boxers and became the striking coach for the American Top Team in Florida. Among his MMA pupils was UFC Hall of Famer and former light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell. He also promoted MMA fights, and his company, Fight Time Promotions, got a contract with the CBS Sports Network to do shows. In 1976, Davis was signed to a deal with CBS, the first among his teammates to land a network television deal.

Davis was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer in the summer and given a grim prognosis. Doctors told him he likely had less than a year to live. Davis, who never smoked or drank alcohol, told the SunSentinel that once he learned that, he stopped chemotherapy and tried non-conventional methods to save his life.

But Davis was known for a sunny disposition and a willingness to fight to overcome any obstacle. He reacted with grace when he learned the bad news and vowed to battle to remain alive.

I never ask why I got [cancer]. I just started fighting. If you are a champion, champions don't quit.

He dropped from 195 pounds to 138, according to Sherdog, but continued to seek a cure. He got off chemotherapy when the doctor estimated he had less than a year to live and tried to find alternative treatment methods.

Randy Gordon, the former chairman of the New York State Athletic Commission, was close with Davis for his entire adult life. He said he'll remember Davis as an elite athlete but moreso as one of boxing's true good guys.

"He was a loyal friend and devoted husband, father and brother," Gordon told Yahoo Sports. " ... He had the fastest pair of hands I ever saw. He was a very hard worker in the gym. On the road, he ran like no fighter I ever saw. In 1979, I clocked him in the mile at 4:20. I am sure if he put his mind to it, he could have approached the world record. He told me a few years ago that he enjoyed training fighters, promoting MMA and playing music – he played guitar – more than he enjoyed fighting. I believe he was Florida's busiest MMA promoter. To know Howard Davis was to love him. Heaven is gaining one very special angel."

Services are pending.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Howard Davis R.I.P. Empty Re: Howard Davis R.I.P.

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 31 Dec 2015, 6:38 pm

Rip

Before my time

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 31 Dec 2015, 9:22 pm

rip

Remember his fight with Camacho

decent fighter

Last edited by ONETWOFOREVER on Fri 01 Jan 2016, 8:35 am; edited 2 times in total

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu 31 Dec 2015, 9:30 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:rip

Remember his fight with Leonard.

Does not get credit for it.
Davis never fought anyone called Leonard. At least not as a professional he didn't.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 01 Jan 2016, 8:34 am

Atila wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:rip

Remember his fight with Leonard.

Does not get credit for it.
Davis never fought anyone called Leonard. At least not as a professional he didn't.

Leonard???

never mentioned Leonard mate.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 01 Jan 2016, 11:10 am

Howard Davis was a very talented man.  A great Amateur boxer and a very good musician....Played the drums, keyboard and guitar to a high standard....

Won gold and the Val barker trophy in 76 for the best boxer in the Montreal games and considering the Spinks boys, Leonard and Tate were all on the team.... its a good pointer to how good he was...

AS AN AMATEUR !!..........Where his lack of power and somewhat inconsistent chin wasn't a huge problem...

As a pro he could also be his own worst enemy......When his power and chin wasn't an issue and his great skills excelled against world class opposition he some how found a way to lose....

Who can remember him out boxing the next Roberto Duran "Edwin Rosario" in his hometown and only needing to stay on his feet to win the WBC title when in the last 15 seconds he got caught !!.

He took Watt lightly...and it bit him in the butt.....Another winnable fight.  For years he wouldn't discuss the Watt fight as he was embarrassed at that defeat.....

Somehow finding himself fighting Camacho with the flu and weighing ten pounds less than his opponent on the night..............Fighting the dangerous Joe Manley on very short notice when honing in on another title shot......

However when his skills flourished he beat an unbeaten prospect in Tony Balthazar...beat the respected former world champion Claude Noel and who can forget his draw against the superb unbeaten Meldrick Taylor.....

Davis was a cocky man who later turned into an intelligent and reflective individual....

As a pro..A bit of an enigma.  Glimmers of brilliance....glimmers of mediocrity.  Hard to know how good a pro Howard really was ???..

However we do know he was a wonderful Amateur boxer who won Olympic gold and was voted the best boxer in the Olympics..

How many can say they achieved that ???.......Very few !!!!!!

Be proud and rest in peace...... rose

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 01 Jan 2016, 12:40 pm

Happy new year all

Davis definitely had a strange career as a pro. No doubting the talent. In the UK we were pleasantly surprised by Watt's performance but from an objective perspective it was pretty disappointing from Davis' perspective.

Though when you think that he went on to drop the split to an unbeaten Rosario, get a draw with a young but unbeaten Taylor (some combined hand speed on show)... And he wasn't outclassed in the Camacho fight.. maybe you have to think old arrrrm punches Jim, wasn't quite the lucky plodder he's sometimes portrayed. Davis was certainly cocky and confident, and may have believed his own hype... But not much excuse for taking your first world title shot lightly. 

Think truss summed it up, with Davis as a pro... flashes of brilliance amidst some mediocrity... But as an amateur... It was some Olympic team  to 'star' in.

RIP

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down