The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prefontaine Classic, Diamond League, June 3 & 4

+9
UN03
teassoc
Just a runner
djlovesyou
lfc91
jjimbojames
ryanbailey
bigjonatkinson
lsabre
13 posters

Go down

Prefontaine Classic, Diamond League, June 3 & 4 Empty Prefontaine Classic, Diamond League, June 3 & 4

Post by lsabre Wed 01 Jun 2011, 8:10 pm

The next leg of the Diamond League series in line is the renowned Prefontaine Classic in memory of legendary distance runner Steve Prefontaine that takes place in Eugene, Oregon, in two parts on Friday and Saturday. The meeting is brimming with heavy-loaded line-ups and sublime athletics stars across the board and some, such as the men's and women's dashes, aren't confirmed or even out yet.

From a British point of view, as I've speculated for some time now ever since he joined Alberto Salazar's group, based in the very host city, the standout entry is Mo Farah who will be embarking on a 25-lap venture on Friday evening in quest of Jon Brown's UK record of 28:18.14 over 10000m set in Brussels back in 1998.

The setting could hardly have been better than a ground graced with great distance running tradition, likely very favourable conditions, fast pacemaking and a star-packed field that involves the likes of Imane Merga (ETH), Moses Masai (KEN), Sileshi Sihine (ETH), Zersenay Tadese (ERI), Geoffrey Kipsang (KEN), Leonard Komon (KEN), Mark Kiptoo (KEN), Abebe Dinkesa (ETH) and Gallen Rupp (USA).

Honestly, save some disaster, I cannot think how Jon Brown's record could survive the onslaught of Farah who has showed ever more capable of even drawing into the territory of the very great, that is under 27 minutes.

Apart from that, another likely British record could be lying afoot in the men's long jump where Greg Rutherford has made a very promising start to his season and looks poised to leap into new territories. Hengelo's winner and Olympic champion Irving Saladino will be also there, yet struggling for form in these early stages World champion Dwight Phillips looks as though he's going to give the affair a miss. Also very notable is the appearance of new decathlon sensation Aston Eaton in the field.

Jemma Simpson, as very much expected since spending plenty of time in Oregon as well, is contesting her very first 800m race of the season against a world-class field including Caster Semenya (RSA), Janeth Jepkosgei (KEN), Anna Pierce (USA), Alysia Montano (USA), Pamela Jelimo (KEN) and Kenia Sinclair (JAM).

Andy Turner is involved in the highly-hyped rematch between David Oliver and Xiang Liu in the 100m hurdles while Michael Bingham goes in the men's 400m against mighty Jeremy Warriner and Angelo Taylor, as well as the man that pipped him to the European title Kevin Borlee (BEL).

Starting-lists:
http://www.diamondleague-eugene.com/en/Live-StartlistsResults/Overview/

Last edited by lsabre on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:29 am; edited 5 times in total

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Prefontaine Classic, Diamond League, June 3 & 4 Empty Re: Prefontaine Classic, Diamond League, June 3 & 4

Post by bigjonatkinson Thu 02 Jun 2011, 8:45 am

Can't wait for this meet, the line ups look seriously tasty indeed.

I have one criticism though: How has Justin Gatlin sneaked back into the Diamond League when, as we know (or thought we knew) from DC, that past cheats would not be welcome to race in this series?

bigjonatkinson

Back to top Go down

Prefontaine Classic, Diamond League, June 3 & 4 Empty Re: Prefontaine Classic, Diamond League, June 3 & 4

Post by ryanbailey Thu 02 Jun 2011, 8:49 am

because DC is English of course. Or is just the silly european invites that DC will not be getting.

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by jjimbojames Thu 02 Jun 2011, 8:53 am

bigjonatkinson wrote:Can't wait for this meet, the line ups look seriously tasty indeed.

I have one criticism though: How has Justin Gatlin sneaked back into the Diamond League when, as we know (or thought we knew) from DC, that past cheats would not be welcome to race in this series?
Steve Mullings is also in the field - and has served a 2 year ban, and has run on the European circuit. The inconsistency is dreadful. Whilst I would personally rather no drug cheats were invited, one can see why DC would be pretty hacked off, as that's now female hurdlers and long jumpers and male 100m runners getting the nod - but not him. IIRC he's the only one who's actually 'fessed up - perhaps this is why the invites haven't been coming?

jjimbojames

Back to top Go down

Post by bigjonatkinson Thu 02 Jun 2011, 8:59 am

ahh, so the Euro events line ups are organised by someone else from US. DC should try to get a race in Eugene or NY, but to be fair everyone in this line up is arguably DC's equal or superior over 100m. Oh well, lets see what Gatlin can do against his first truly high-class field since his return. I feel Dwain would have gained hugely from this sort of competition since his own comeback, and probably would have run more under 10 secs than the one time last year.

bigjonatkinson

Back to top Go down

Post by bigjonatkinson Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:04 am

Can see your point Jimbojames, DC's full confession along with his book must have seriously irked some officials, sponsors and most importantly promoters.

Added to what I've said just now about how higher class competition would be a benefit to him, I'll add a caveat that the siege mentality he has acquired since everyone turned against him has also spurred him on.

One of the most impressive demonstrations of a rock solid mentality I have seen in the sport for years was his 2008 season where he had to literally come first in every race from Indoor, right through the outdoor season as UKA made it clear he wouldn't be picked as 2nd fastest (although academic in the end, but still holds true for the indoors), meanwhile with his olympic trial going on in the background

bigjonatkinson

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:05 am

So am i right in understanding that DC isnt being invited to these meets beacuase he was a drugs cheat but others such as gatlin are getting invites. Could someone please explain?

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:11 am

I'm not the old 'You can't win without PEDs' comments from Dwain really helped that much.

Seems a shame that he can't get invites whilst unrepentant dopers manage to get in easily and are now flourishing (Mullings for example).

It's almost as if the commentators have been told not to mention it or something. They should get David Harmon from the cycling to commentate. He always plays the 'well done for winning, but I'm not going to pretend I'm happy' card every time someone likes Ricco or Vinokourov wins a race.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by jjimbojames Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:27 am

lfc91 wrote:So am i right in understanding that DC isnt being invited to these meets beacuase he was a drugs cheat but others such as gatlin are getting invites. Could someone please explain?
There is a 'gentlemen's agreement' between the Euro promoters not to invite convicted drug cheats (I think of two year bans and above). That said, several people have slipped through the net in the past. Some people believed DC was at a loss as his event is likely to draw headlines (for the wrong reasons) and thus he wouldn't get an invite, but given Mullings and now Gatlin, that can't really stand.

jjimbojames

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:31 am

Realy dont understand that at all, no wonder DC feels hard done by. Its a shame to, as DC seems to be close to the best shape hes ever been in, and he will never achieve times hes capable of if hes not racing against the best!

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Thu 02 Jun 2011, 4:46 pm

The women's 400m hurdles line-up has not come out yet but let me tell you that Perri Shakes-Drayton will be racing in her first outing over the sticks this season. And judging by her 400m PB of 51.47 secs from the inside lane in Rome, I'm expecting her to run something really fast and give the top names a tough run for their money!

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by Just a runner Fri 03 Jun 2011, 4:46 am

very excited about the 10k and really hope that Farah can get a good time. Nice to see a quality field put together and will be interesting to see how Mo copes with a blistering pace (assuming that happens)

As for DC, whether he should be running or not, he really has got into shape and I think is in with a good chance of sub10 this season and given the right conditions, a low 9.9

Just a runner

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 5:00 am

Just a runner wrote:very excited about the 10k and really hope that Farah can get a good time. Nice to see a quality field put together and will be interesting to see how Mo copes with a blistering pace (assuming that happens)

As for DC, whether he should be running or not, he really has got into shape and I think is in with a good chance of sub10 this season and given the right conditions, a low 9.9

True, i used to be all about the shorter distances and paid little attention to the likes of the 10k. but having an athlete like farah who can geniunly compete on a world level has captured my interest in the event.

As for DC, its a shame our best sprinter is at the end of his career. Just out of curiosity is there any british sprinter you think could or will break the 10 second barrier in the next few years?

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by jjimbojames Fri 03 Jun 2011, 5:28 am

James Dasaolu, Simeon Wiliamson and Harry AA if they stay in one piece, have all looked capable of sub-10

Some of our emerging youngsters like David Bolarinwa in a few years, if we keep the pressure off, may come through

Have to say it always amazes me that we don't seem to find the talent, given the ethnic mix of GBR society, but possibly many potential sprinters are playing football and rugby instead

jjimbojames

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 5:35 am

I was excited about Simeon Williamson and thought he was on the verge of sub 10 2 years ago then he picked up that injury! think his season opener this season was something like a 10.8, dont know what to make of that. Think dasalu is capable but as for harry AA, think it could just be beyond him. Bolarinwa is a hell of a prospect, 3 pb's already this season. Actualy posted an article the other day asking how good people thought he was/could be.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 03 Jun 2011, 7:46 am

Be great if Mo can get around the 27 minute mark today. I know they're supposed to be pacemaking it at around 26:40 through halfway. People are talking up Komon as if he could break the WR tonight, but I'm not so sure.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Fri 03 Jun 2011, 8:04 am

djlovesyou wrote:Be great if Mo can get around the 27 minute mark today. I know they're supposed to be pacemaking it at around 26:40 through halfway. People are talking up Komon as if he could break the WR tonight, but I'm not so sure.

If he did, I was wondering whether he'd be tempted to double up in 2012? My guess would be yes but only if he got a few scalps.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 03 Jun 2011, 8:16 am

teassoc wrote:
djlovesyou wrote:Be great if Mo can get around the 27 minute mark today. I know they're supposed to be pacemaking it at around 26:40 through halfway. People are talking up Komon as if he could break the WR tonight, but I'm not so sure.

If he did, I was wondering whether he'd be tempted to double up in 2012? My guess would be yes but only if he got a few scalps.

He could do. The 10000 is first and he'll have 4 days recovery before the 5000 heats.

He would probably prefer it if the 5000 was first to be honest.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Just a runner Fri 03 Jun 2011, 8:28 am

I hope Mo goes close to the pace, but runs his race. It´s easy to get carried away, but he´ll know what sort of shape he is in and it would be great to see a sub 27 from Mo. I think he´ll do 27:01 personally but use it as a platform to go sub 27 soon

Any UK 100m men to go below 10 seconds? not of the current crop (except Chambers as previously mentioned) but maybe some of the youngsters coming through

Just a runner

Back to top Go down

Post by UN03 Sat 04 Jun 2011, 11:16 am

Is it at 6 or 7 o'clock? the bbc sport website is confusing.

UN03

Back to top Go down

Post by jjimbojames Sat 04 Jun 2011, 11:23 am

UN03 wrote:Is it at 6 or 7 o'clock? the bbc sport website is confusing.
Says 7pm on red button online, but they just said 6pm on BBC 2!!!!!

jjimbojames

Back to top Go down

Post by jjimbojames Sat 04 Jun 2011, 1:09 pm

Red Button now - sort of 6.10pm start!

jjimbojames

Back to top Go down

Post by CJB Sat 04 Jun 2011, 2:00 pm

CJB

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 04 Jun 2011, 2:01 pm

By the way, Tyson Gay has laid down his marker in a superb world-leading 9.79 secs (1.1m/sec) in the 100m in Clermont, Florida! More later!

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by jjimbojames Sat 04 Jun 2011, 2:07 pm

PSD 5th in 55.36 (Ran 56.03 for 2nd in Rabat this time last year, for comparison)
WL of 53.31 for Demus, from Spencer, Walker and Hejnova

jjimbojames

Back to top Go down

Post by jjimbojames Sat 04 Jun 2011, 2:22 pm

WTF is Soboleva doing in the w1500m!?!? If it's 'the' one, they really don't give a sh1t about the drug cheats, do they? Rolling Eyes

jjimbojames

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 04 Jun 2011, 2:34 pm

By the way, Perri Shakes-Drayton did still edge inside the Daegu A standard there.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by jjimbojames Sat 04 Jun 2011, 2:38 pm

13.33 for Turner to take 4th behind a WL of 12.94 for DO, and 13 flat for Liu Xiang

jjimbojames

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 04 Jun 2011, 2:43 pm

Not bad at all from Andy who was saying that he was going to test that sore achilles of his on the track yesterday, 13.33 (1.8m/sec) is his second fastest this season. David Oliver looks to be getting back on top of his game and I think everyone else is going to have to chase hard from now on!

Last edited by lsabre on Sat 04 Jun 2011, 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by jjimbojames Sat 04 Jun 2011, 3:22 pm

Posted on wrong thread!

9.80 for Mullings for the win, Gatlin 9.97 for 6th

w800m coming up!

jjimbojames

Back to top Go down

Post by CJB Sat 04 Jun 2011, 3:23 pm

All 8 under 10.02

CJB

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 04 Jun 2011, 3:28 pm

Greg Rutherford has moved into second in the long jump with a windy 8.01m in the fourth round (2.5m/sec) but needs to step it up, he can definitely win this!

Last edited by lsabre on Sat 04 Jun 2011, 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by jjimbojames Sat 04 Jun 2011, 3:32 pm

Now a slightly windy 8.32 in the 5th to lead (+2.1)

jjimbojames

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzymiyagh1 Sat 04 Jun 2011, 7:42 pm

Cannot believe the double standards at play here, right before the world's eyes. All these athletes who have previously transgressed, who are running in these events - and DC still left out. I know that DC probably shook certain sensibilities with his book and revelations, but that is of course not a formally presented rationale for his continued marginalisation. As it stands, the position with regards to his continued exclusion is inconsistent and stinks of blatant, political hypocrisy.

The authorities should be properly brought to task on this...

Izzymiyagh1

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sat 04 Jun 2011, 8:05 pm

Think it's probably double standards, but I still don't have a lot of sympathy for Dwain.

I'm a fan of his, but he made his bed.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by camerajuan Sat 04 Jun 2011, 8:07 pm

Right with you Izzy.

If Mullings, Gatlin et al are in, the organisers have NO reason to keep Chambers out.

Its pathetic.

camerajuan

https://www.youtube.com/user/pondguard22?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Sun 05 Jun 2011, 6:44 am

Can he take any kind of action on this? Or only against the British Olympics selection?

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by trickstat Sun 05 Jun 2011, 6:51 am

You are assuming that DC would have been able to get a spot in the Eugene race. I'm not totally sure he would have got that anyway.

I can't claim to be an expert but is there a danger that any legal fees would be greater than any appearance money he would have received for one meeting?

trickstat

Back to top Go down

Post by trickstat Sun 05 Jun 2011, 6:54 am

Is it me or has Greg Rutherford become much more consistent this year? He's in danger of becoming a real medal contender for Daegu.

trickstat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 Jun 2011, 9:05 am

When Tomlison, Rutherford and others established themselves as UK long -jumpers there was the hope that they would make an impact on the "world scene" - that hasn't really happened and there was a sense of them perhaps not reaching their potential. However I am beginning to feel more optimistic and hopefully now they can go on and continue to push British long jump forward.

Also there was a whole crop of British male 100m talent that appeared a few years ago but they haven't made much of an impact on the world scene (apart from in the relays).

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down