The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Champions Cup Pool 2: ASM Clermont Auvergne v Ospreys, 22 November

+11
mikey_dragon
BigTrevsbigmac
Cyril
BigGee
Notch
LondonTiger
VinceWLB
maestegmafia
wayne
sensisball
George Carlin
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Champions Cup Pool 2: ASM Clermont Auvergne v Ospreys, 22 November - Page 2 Empty Champions Cup Pool 2: ASM Clermont Auvergne v Ospreys, 22 November

Post by George Carlin Thu 19 Nov 2015, 6:26 am

First topic message reminder :

Champions Cup Pool 2: ASM Clermont Auvergne v Ospreys, 22 November - Page 2 Clermo10                 Champions Cup Pool 2: ASM Clermont Auvergne v Ospreys, 22 November - Page 2 Osprey10
Clermont Auvergne v Ospreys
Sunday 22 November 2015
KO 14:00
Stade Marcel-Michelin, Clermont-Ferrand

Live on beIN Sports / Sky Sports

Referee George Clancy (Ireland)
Touch Judge 1 David Wilkinson (Ireland)
Touch Judge 2 Olly Hodges (Ireland)
Fourth Official Florian Cormier (France)
TMO Marshall Kilgore (Ireland)

A. Head to Head

4 Played 4
2 Wins 2
2 Losses 2
0 Draws 0
97 Points 72

B. Official Preview
PREVIEW: Jones ready for Clermont test
Ospreys captain Alun Wyn Jones reckons his men can face Clermont Auvergne with confidence as they look to end one of the most formidable home records in rugby.

The Welsh region opened their European Rugby Champions Cup Pool 2 campaign with a 25-13 win over Exeter Chiefs, thanks to a powerful second-half display from their pack.

The forward battle will once again be key when they take on last season's beaten finalists, who will be playing their first game of this season's competition following the postponement of their opening fixture against Bordeaux-Begles, at Stade Marcel-Michelin.

Clermont have not lost at their home fortress since 2008, and the Ospreys do not have the best of records in France having won just once in 14 trips across the Channel.

But with morale boosted by a fine victory over a Chiefs side who are flying high in the Aviva Premiership, Wales and Lions lock Jones is eagerly-awaiting the challenge ahead.

"We can travel with confidence, it has been a good start for us," he said. "It will be tough out there in a difficult environment and with the quality of the squad they have and the rugby they play. But we came through an opening game that could have gone either way so it gives us something to build on."

Head coach Steve Tandy believes his men travel with the pressure off their shoulders having taken four match points and denied Exeter a losing bonus point in what promises to be a very tight pool.

"We had opportunities in the second half which we took and remained the ascendancy and kept ourselves ahead, which is a good sign," said the former flanker.

"Everyone knows how important it is to win your home games and now it is about seeing what you can pick up on the road.We did not give Exeter a bonus point, which was a boost, and we want to go out there, score some points, and see where that takes us."

Match Facts
- In the four matches between these clubs in the Champions Cup, each has been won by the home team (two wins each).

- ASM Clermont Auvergne won the last meeting between the sides and are aiming to win consecutive matches against the Ospreys for the first time in the Champions Cup.

- The Ospreys' two victories over ASM Clermont Auvergne are the only defeats the French side have suffered in their last 12 matches against Welsh opposition (W10).

- Clermont have won their last 23 games at home in the Champions Cup.

C. Teams

Clermont Auvergne
Champions Cup Pool 2: ASM Clermont Auvergne v Ospreys, 22 November - Page 2 Lea-se10
15. Nick Abendanon; 14. David Strettle, 13. Aurélien Rougerie, 12. Wesley Fofana, 11. Noa Nakaitaci; 10. Camille Lopez, 9. Morgan Parra; 1. Thomas Domingo, 2. Benjamin Kayser, 3. Davit Zirakashvili, 4. Jamie Cudmore, 5. Sébastien Vahaamahina, 6. Damien Chouly (c), 7. Alexandre Lapandry, 8. Fritz Lee

16. Marthinius Van Der Westhuizen, 17. Raphael Chaume, 18. Daniel Kotze, 19. Flip Van Der Merwe, 20. Vito Kolelishvili, 21. Ludovic Radoslavjevic , 22. Brock James, 23 Albert Vulivuli

Ospreys
Champions Cup Pool 2: ASM Clermont Auvergne v Ospreys, 22 November - Page 2 Cather10
15. Daniel Evans; 14. Thomas Grabham, 13. Jonathan Spratt, 12. Josh Matavesi, 11. Eli Walker; 10. Dan Biggar, 9. Brendon Leonard; 1. Paul James, 2. Scott Baldwin, 3. Dmitri Arhip, 4. Lloyd Ashley, 5. Alun-Wyn Jones (c), 6. Dan Lydiate, 7. Justin Tipuric, 8. James King

16. Sam Parry, 17. Ryan Bevington, 18. Aaron Jarvis, 19. Rory Thornton, 20. Dan Baker, 21. Thomas Habberfield, 22. Sam Davies, 23. Hanno Dirksen

Last edited by George Carlin on Fri 20 Nov 2015, 3:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Champions Cup Pool 2: ASM Clermont Auvergne v Ospreys, 22 November - Page 2 Empty Re: Champions Cup Pool 2: ASM Clermont Auvergne v Ospreys, 22 November

Post by maestegmafia Sun 22 Nov 2015, 4:25 pm

Well an LBP and four tries exceeded my expectations. Good display again but still some work to do. Considering we are missing three centres, a world class scrum half, a few back rows and second rows as well as a great winger we are doing well.

Stuart Barnes rightfully slating Clancy who had his usual poor day as a ref...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Champions Cup Pool 2: ASM Clermont Auvergne v Ospreys, 22 November - Page 2 Empty Re: Champions Cup Pool 2: ASM Clermont Auvergne v Ospreys, 22 November

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 22 Nov 2015, 4:41 pm

You're missing players Maes but I wouldn't go that far... Your squad on the whole is looking a bit thin.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun 22 Nov 2015, 5:02 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
wayne wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
VinceWLB wrote:This is why Lloyd Peers will never be a good player.

What happened for you to make this comment? His selection in the team and as captain though, is now even leading their supporters to question Tandy. They have two good overseas forwards, one at TH and another at lock. If he's not yet permitting them to play at this level then let them play for the premiership select because that Ospreys team really needs some quality players!
If you are talking about Bernardo and Fia, the former is still wearing a boot that covers his leg up to his knee, and according to Fia he will be available next week, it is NOT Tandy stopping either of them, it is the Medical team.

It was them I was talking about. You said Fia was available weeks ago so not sure why he's being held back. Do you have any more locks in the squad? Peers would have looked like a gnat next to Cudmore.
Yes Fia did tell me that he would be available a couple of weeks ago, it was mentioned in one of the website interviews that he was still not ready, if you came to any of our matches you would know the Ospreys Supporters Club have 2 players come give an interview, last week one was Fia and he told a packed room he would be available for the Blues game next week, as for 2nd row Thornton was on the bench, and we have another 2 youngsters Beard and Hughes, the first is injured and the other played for the Premiership team the other night.
You need to realise we use the LV and the B&I Cup as development, when we played your team in the LV last season, we had a load of youngsters with half a dozen or so experienced players, your 23 had about a dozen or more that would have been in a Guinness League 23, we have different perspectives as to how to bring players through.
What we really could do with is a bit of a speedster at O/C Spratt is good defensively but quite pedestrian, with both John and Beck injured and Andrew Bishop having to retire we are really restricted there, even though Bishop was never that quick, the talk around our forum that Hassler is due back very soon, or whether we try to develop Dirksen there as that was the position he was brought to us to fill, personally I thought he did quite well there today even though it was to replace an injured Matavesi at I/C, we have the Blues at home next week and Zebre away the following week, it might be worth playing Josh and Hanno together for the 2 games to see how they get on before we have Bordeux/Begles in the back to back the following 2 weeks.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 22 Nov 2015, 5:06 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:

What happened for you to make this comment? His selection in the team and as captain though, is now even leading their supporters to question Tandy. They have two good overseas forwards, one at TH and another at lock. If he's not yet permitting them to play at this level then let them play for the premiership select because that Ospreys team really needs some quality players!

I made this comment when Peers made a knock on with 5 or 10 to go when there was absolutely no pressure.

And yes Thornton is still very green but he already looks like a much better player than Peers.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun 22 Nov 2015, 5:22 pm

VinceWLB wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

I made this comment when Peers made a knock on with 5 or 10 to go when there was absolutely no pressure.

And yes Thornton is still very green but he already looks like a much better player than Peers.
Vince, I watched the whole of the first half, but only flicked through the 2nd half, because I'd recorded it and I thought Lloyd had a reasonable game took a couple of lineouts and his offensive tackling I thought was very good especially in the first half, the thing is he should not be in the team, he's only there because of our unfortunate injuries and lack of resources, both Steenkamp and Bernardo would be ahead of him as I've told you in the past and Rory also had a couple of weeks off for a HIA, we are very fortunate to have a couple of workhorses like AWJ and Ashley to take the brunt of the work IMO.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 22 Nov 2015, 5:54 pm

It's a shame Beard is injured, but he and Thornton are probably better players than Peers/Ashley - he also occasionally carries the captain arm band so now I guess they have to play him.

If you're using those competitions for development then it isn't going very well results wise. Also none of the players look capable of stepping into regional rugby. If you look at the Dragons select then it has a very good balance to it. The Blues and Scarlets Premiership Selects also have that balance right IMO, but result aren't going their way, particularly for the poor Scarlets who are grouped with two of the top English championship teams.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 22 Nov 2015, 6:18 pm

Wayne just watching highlights, what do you think of the disallowed try for Arhip? Looked like it was clearly on the line to me.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 22 Nov 2015, 6:23 pm

I thought it did cut the line myself too Mikey. Quite clearly decisions went more often than not favorably to the home side.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 22 Nov 2015, 6:33 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Wayne just watching highlights, what do you think of the disallowed try for Arhip? Looked like it was clearly on the line to me.

Link?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun 22 Nov 2015, 6:35 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:It's a shame Beard is injured, but he and Thornton are probably better players than Peers/Ashley - he also occasionally carries the captain arm band so now I guess they have to play him.

If you're using those competitions for development then it isn't going very well results wise. Also none of the players look capable of stepping into regional rugby. If you look at the Dragons select then it has a very good balance to it. The Blues and Scarlets Premiership Selects also have that balance right IMO, but result aren't going their way, particularly for the poor Scarlets who are grouped with two of the top English championship teams.
Mikey you need to look at the bigger picture winning the B&I Cup is not the be all and end all, producing players for us and eventually for Wales is, with all the first team squad players you had in last years match against us, which team had more players that will eventually play RCC Cup Rugby and International Rugby, we've done this for years and we have had far more players make the leap than any other of the Regions.
As for Ashley he is only Captain when AWJ isn't there, and as I said earlier he has played reasonably well IMO the last few games, would he get in my team if any of Steenkamp, Bernardo or Thornton was available and fit, the answer would be NO, you should know the financial limitations all the Welsh Teams are under, it would be nice if money was no object for all of us and we could have the likes of Charteris, Davies and Evans still playing here, not only playing but assisting in the development of the next round of players coming through, we just don't have that kind of money. YET

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun 22 Nov 2015, 6:39 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Wayne just watching highlights, what do you think of the disallowed try for Arhip? Looked like it was clearly on the line to me.
It was touch and go to me, I don't think I would have given it to be honest, what was ludicrous IMO was the non awarding of a penalty try in the first half when he was pulled back and the TMO and Clancy thought Parra might have got across to stop the try. Utter rubbish.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 22 Nov 2015, 8:59 pm

Wayne I agree with your point there that winning the BIC is not the be all-end all, but I also think you miss my point, which has nothing to do with last year's LV cup (this competition didn't benefit any of us in its last few years of existence as far as I can see). You need to put players with potential with regional fringe players into these 'A teams' if you are to expect any sort of future for your region. To my knowledge three of the regions are doing that. Looking at the Ospreys Premiership Select it seems to me that only one player (Otten) has potential to go anywhere/make the Ospreys regional team. That's compared with several on the other three teams; you'll probably disagree with this. Also bringing them through in an environment where they are constantly losing is also no good for development purposes (cough, looking at Scarlets here too...). You can say the same about the pre-season Sevens competition where for two seasons Ospreys have been found wanting. A few years ago Ospreys would have been the team on top, with the next gen coming through after tearing through all opposition. IMO for the first time in years the Ospreys carry a lot of deadweight - you're not the only one in Wales carrying that at the moment though.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarpia Mon 23 Nov 2015, 6:46 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:

Link?

http://www.s4c.cymru/clic/e_level2.shtml?programme_id=529917760

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 23 Nov 2015, 11:31 am

Scarpia wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Link?

Tough call but the pundits thought it was a try on sky sports.

As I said earlier I am happy with the result, just have to hope we can go better at home and get much needed win vs what look like one of the better teams in the competition.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 23 Nov 2015, 8:12 pm

mikey_dragon wrote: To my knowledge three of the regions are doing that. Looking at the Ospreys Premiership Select it seems to me that only one player (Otten) has potential to go anywhere/make the Ospreys regional team. That's compared with several on the other three teams; you'll probably disagree with this. Also bringing them through in an environment where they are constantly losing is also no good for development purposes
Mikey, if you are saying that, most of that team wouldn't get in the Ospreys squad now or in the very near future you are probably right, if you take out the really experienced players Fussell and Roberts,  and add Otten to that list there are a large number of that squad who already have played for the Ospreys or will in the future, that is what development means to us. Below is the squad that we used for this match
15 Fussell
14 Tom Williams 1
13 Joe Thomas  2
12 Owen Watkin 2
11 Keelan Giles  1
10 Joel Matavesi
  9 Roberts
  1 Gareth Thomas
  2 Scott Otten
  3 Dan Suter
  4 Mathew Dodd
  5 Rhodri Hughes U20
  6 Rhys Jones
  7 Olly Cracknell U20
  8 Iferiemi Boledau
16 Marc Thomas
17 Mathew Dwyer
18 Cai Griffiths
19 James Ratti  1
20 Joe Tomalin Reeves
21 Mathew Aubrey 3
22 Joe Gage U20
As you can see Cracknell, Gage and Hughes were all U 20 Internationals a couple of seasons ago, Ratti, Giles and Williams are part of our U 18 squad, I also think Giles has already played for Wales U 18, there are a lot of people within our organisation are raving about this boy, both Thomas and Watkin were in the Wales U 20 team last season, IIRC Watkin scored a great try in one of the 6N games last season, he also formed a good partnership with the Blues boy, Aubrey was in the Wales U 18 team last season.
That team also includes 2 Army lads who have served us well (Dwyer, Boledau) and some crap Roberts and Griffiths, in other words if you think in the not too distant future only Otten would break into our Regional Squad is patently rubbish, Cracknell has already played a couple of times, we are very strong in his position but he'll add depth and will not let us down in International periods.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 24 Nov 2015, 11:26 pm

Just watched this game, Ospreys can be gutted they didn't have two more tries!

The yellow was a blatant penalty try, I can only assume the ref bottled it.

And the Arhip try looked to brush the line, remember it only needs to touch a blade of painted grass to count.

Clancy annoys me so much as a ref, he's so pedantic but it seems every match he refs there are massive bloopers. Like the yellow/red card trip on Tipuric, totally ignored as the biased tv company shows replays of supposed blocking (wtf is with that too?!).

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 Nov 2015, 6:20 am

It surprises me somewhat that most Ospreys fans are just seemingly settling for the two points, when in reality they should have got five from it. Even if one of the two Arhip incidents is given, then they win and then when you consider the one Clermont try when Rougerie did his double tackle, that he should've been penalised after the first one for making zero attempt to roll away. Just hope they don't get knocked out of the group because of those three extra points they should've had.

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 25 Nov 2015, 10:15 am

Risca Rev wrote:It surprises me somewhat that most Ospreys fans are just seemingly settling for the two points, when in reality they should have got five from it. Even if one of the two Arhip incidents is given, then they win and then when you consider the one Clermont try when Rougerie did his double tackle, that he should've been penalised after the first one for making zero attempt to roll away. Just hope they don't get knocked out of the group because of those three extra points they should've had.
Rev, nobody can accuse me of being one eyed, even though I am, I gave my view on the 2nd Arhip near try above, as for the first yes it was a Penalty try IMO, but what you have to consider the next points accumulated was Biggar's drop goal which wouldn't have been included as the game would have gone back to a restart on the halfway line, so you have to add 7 and take away 3, therefore we are still a point behind. I'm happy with 2 points out of this because I expected nothing, and furthermore over the whole game I thought they were the better team, as you say there were other incidents during the game that could and should have gone our way, the manipulation of the Broadcasters over the Tipuric trip was terrible, it was shown but even then Clancy and the officials missed it, their player should have been shown a yellow for that.
Overall I was happy with the performance and the 2 points accumulated.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 25 Nov 2015, 1:37 pm

I think the fans (and Biggar) being ecstatic over a loss and the 2 points is beginning to border on lunacy - it's also pathetic to read. Ospreys were worthy of 5 points, I agree with that, so they should be devastated. I hope for the sake of rugby that you have players back in the return fixture and turn Clermont over, and by more than 7 points.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 25 Nov 2015, 7:58 pm

Scarpia wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Link?

Cheers.
Wish S4C would use the proper names of teams though and not a Welsh translation. By the time you've worked out who's who, it's on to the next game.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun 29 Nov 2015, 4:20 pm

Vince, did you watch our game against the Blues yesterday, Tavis Knoyle a supposed International scrum half dropped an even easier ball than Ashley did from a lineout in near to the 72nd minute, in a different topic a few weeks ago I said how useless he was and I wanted him selected for the Blues, and as I envisaged he didn't prove me wrong.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 29 Nov 2015, 5:23 pm

I saw that Wayne, at least it was in appalling weather conditions unlike Peers' knock on!

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun 29 Nov 2015, 5:36 pm

VinceWLB wrote:I saw that Wayne, at least it was in appalling weather conditions unlike Peers' knock on!
He is supposed to be an International scrum half, and the ball was put into his breadbasket, how he is playing at this level is beyond me? I have no pretensions that Ashley is anywhere near that standard,(International) but he is a decent 2nd choice number 4 at Regional level and he is only in our team because of our budget and injuries, I thought he had a decent game again yesterday when he came on, making a number of tackles, taking lineouts and carrying.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 29 Nov 2015, 7:40 pm

Don't start Wayne, I saw that years ago - when he was at the Scarlets the idiot fans rated him better than Gareth Davies! Bonkers.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2