The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Champions Cup Pool 2: ASM Clermont Auvergne v Ospreys, 22 November

+11
mikey_dragon
BigTrevsbigmac
Cyril
BigGee
Notch
LondonTiger
VinceWLB
maestegmafia
wayne
sensisball
George Carlin
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Champions Cup Pool 2: ASM Clermont Auvergne v Ospreys, 22 November Empty Champions Cup Pool 2: ASM Clermont Auvergne v Ospreys, 22 November

Post by George Carlin Thu 19 Nov 2015, 6:26 am

Champions Cup Pool 2: ASM Clermont Auvergne v Ospreys, 22 November Clermo10                 Champions Cup Pool 2: ASM Clermont Auvergne v Ospreys, 22 November Osprey10
Clermont Auvergne v Ospreys
Sunday 22 November 2015
KO 14:00
Stade Marcel-Michelin, Clermont-Ferrand

Live on beIN Sports / Sky Sports

Referee George Clancy (Ireland)
Touch Judge 1 David Wilkinson (Ireland)
Touch Judge 2 Olly Hodges (Ireland)
Fourth Official Florian Cormier (France)
TMO Marshall Kilgore (Ireland)

A. Head to Head

4 Played 4
2 Wins 2
2 Losses 2
0 Draws 0
97 Points 72

B. Official Preview
PREVIEW: Jones ready for Clermont test
Ospreys captain Alun Wyn Jones reckons his men can face Clermont Auvergne with confidence as they look to end one of the most formidable home records in rugby.

The Welsh region opened their European Rugby Champions Cup Pool 2 campaign with a 25-13 win over Exeter Chiefs, thanks to a powerful second-half display from their pack.

The forward battle will once again be key when they take on last season's beaten finalists, who will be playing their first game of this season's competition following the postponement of their opening fixture against Bordeaux-Begles, at Stade Marcel-Michelin.

Clermont have not lost at their home fortress since 2008, and the Ospreys do not have the best of records in France having won just once in 14 trips across the Channel.

But with morale boosted by a fine victory over a Chiefs side who are flying high in the Aviva Premiership, Wales and Lions lock Jones is eagerly-awaiting the challenge ahead.

"We can travel with confidence, it has been a good start for us," he said. "It will be tough out there in a difficult environment and with the quality of the squad they have and the rugby they play. But we came through an opening game that could have gone either way so it gives us something to build on."

Head coach Steve Tandy believes his men travel with the pressure off their shoulders having taken four match points and denied Exeter a losing bonus point in what promises to be a very tight pool.

"We had opportunities in the second half which we took and remained the ascendancy and kept ourselves ahead, which is a good sign," said the former flanker.

"Everyone knows how important it is to win your home games and now it is about seeing what you can pick up on the road.We did not give Exeter a bonus point, which was a boost, and we want to go out there, score some points, and see where that takes us."

Match Facts
- In the four matches between these clubs in the Champions Cup, each has been won by the home team (two wins each).

- ASM Clermont Auvergne won the last meeting between the sides and are aiming to win consecutive matches against the Ospreys for the first time in the Champions Cup.

- The Ospreys' two victories over ASM Clermont Auvergne are the only defeats the French side have suffered in their last 12 matches against Welsh opposition (W10).

- Clermont have won their last 23 games at home in the Champions Cup.

C. Teams

Clermont Auvergne
Champions Cup Pool 2: ASM Clermont Auvergne v Ospreys, 22 November Lea-se10
15. Nick Abendanon; 14. David Strettle, 13. Aurélien Rougerie, 12. Wesley Fofana, 11. Noa Nakaitaci; 10. Camille Lopez, 9. Morgan Parra; 1. Thomas Domingo, 2. Benjamin Kayser, 3. Davit Zirakashvili, 4. Jamie Cudmore, 5. Sébastien Vahaamahina, 6. Damien Chouly (c), 7. Alexandre Lapandry, 8. Fritz Lee

16. Marthinius Van Der Westhuizen, 17. Raphael Chaume, 18. Daniel Kotze, 19. Flip Van Der Merwe, 20. Vito Kolelishvili, 21. Ludovic Radoslavjevic , 22. Brock James, 23 Albert Vulivuli

Ospreys
Champions Cup Pool 2: ASM Clermont Auvergne v Ospreys, 22 November Cather10
15. Daniel Evans; 14. Thomas Grabham, 13. Jonathan Spratt, 12. Josh Matavesi, 11. Eli Walker; 10. Dan Biggar, 9. Brendon Leonard; 1. Paul James, 2. Scott Baldwin, 3. Dmitri Arhip, 4. Lloyd Ashley, 5. Alun-Wyn Jones (c), 6. Dan Lydiate, 7. Justin Tipuric, 8. James King

16. Sam Parry, 17. Ryan Bevington, 18. Aaron Jarvis, 19. Rory Thornton, 20. Dan Baker, 21. Thomas Habberfield, 22. Sam Davies, 23. Hanno Dirksen

Last edited by George Carlin on Fri 20 Nov 2015, 3:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Champions Cup Pool 2: ASM Clermont Auvergne v Ospreys, 22 November Empty Re: Champions Cup Pool 2: ASM Clermont Auvergne v Ospreys, 22 November

Post by sensisball Thu 19 Nov 2015, 12:33 pm

with a cracking start to their T14 season , a month off for the world cup, plus their internationals firmly back in place, cant see past a fairly comfortable Clermont win ( 10 to 15 points ?). should be competitive for the first 60.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Champions Cup Pool 2: ASM Clermont Auvergne v Ospreys, 22 November Empty Re: Champions Cup Pool 2: ASM Clermont Auvergne v Ospreys, 22 November

Post by wayne Thu 19 Nov 2015, 3:29 pm

There is talk on our forum that Jarvis and Howells from last weeks squad are probably out, I can understand that with Howells as it appeared he pulled or tore something in his leg on or above the knee, but IIRC Jarvis was on for the whole of the 2nd half, if he is missing the 2 reserve T/Hs from last week are selected for the B&I cup match against London Scottish, so will it be Fia selected, in our supporters lounge after the game last week he told the fans he'll be ready for the Cardiff Blues game the following weekend.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 19 Nov 2015, 8:42 pm

I knew how eels was out but didn't know Jarvis was too?

Dimitri had a good game but only lasted half a game. Let's hope neither injuries are serious.

Great performance last week but this is a huge game.

I would be proud of the boys if they can get a losing BP, a win would be massive

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Thu 19 Nov 2015, 9:09 pm

I'd be surprised and overjoyed if we get anything out of this Maes, yes it looked very serious and season ending, it happened very close to me and nobody else was involved, Howells had had a pretty good game up to that point, as for Jarvis who knows? I don't remember him coming off injured, could it have been done in training this week. Suter and Griffiths are the T/Hs for the B&I Cup, so in a way if he is out it can only mean Fia comes in, and I would like that, obviously without the injury.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 20 Nov 2015, 10:25 am

I see Fia almost didn't play the last season because of a knee ligament injury. Serious gamble by the O's to sign him then but he has the right built for a modern day TH but i think he was only 3rd choice TH at the Highlanders last season so i wouldn't get my hopes too high.

Ideally, you don't want Suter anywhere near the squad when traveling to a place like Clermont so Fia should come straight into the 23 for this week and Arhip will probably play 70+ minutes.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 20 Nov 2015, 10:44 am

Isn't arhip only just back from injury too?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 20 Nov 2015, 10:59 am

I don't think so, he was away with Moldavia a couple of weeks ago and should be fit and ready for a long battle on Sunday.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 20 Nov 2015, 12:14 pm

ASM Clermont Auvergne:
15. Nick Abendanon; 14. David Strettle, 13. Aurélien Rougerie, 12. Wesley Fofana, 11. Noa Nakaitaci; 10. Camille Lopez, 9. Morgan Parra; 1. Thomas Domingo, 2. Benjamin Kayser, 3. Davit Zirakashvili, 4. Jamie Cudmore, 5. Sébastien Vahaamahina, 6. Damien Chouly (c), 7. Alexandre Lapandry, 8. Fritz Lee
16. Marthinius Van Der Westhuizen, 17. Raphael Chaume, 18. Daniel Kotze, 19. Flip Van Der Merwe, 20. Vito Kolelishvili, 21. Ludovic Radoslavjevic , 22. Brock James, 23. Albert Vulivuli

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 20 Nov 2015, 12:15 pm

Ospreys:
15. Daniel Evans; 14. Thomas Grabham, 13. Jonathan Spratt, 12. Josh Matavesi, 11. Eli Walker; 10. Dan Biggar, 9. Brendon Leonard; 1. Paul James, 2. Scott Baldwin, 3. Dmitri Arhip, 4. Lloyd Ashley, 5. Alun-Wyn Jones (c), 6. Dan Lydiate, 7. Justin Tipuric, 8. James King
16. Sam Parry, 17. Ryan Bevington, 18. Aaron Jarvis, 19. Rory Thornton, 20. Dan Baker, 21. Thomas Habberfield, 22. Sam Davies , 23. Hanno Dirksen

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 20 Nov 2015, 12:19 pm

So the only change is Grabham for Howells, the rumours about Jarvis was just that.
TOUGH TOUGH GAME COMING UP, excellent Clermont team.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 20 Nov 2015, 3:21 pm

Man, that is one brutal Clermont pack.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 20 Nov 2015, 4:26 pm

George Carlin wrote:Man, that is one brutal Clermont pack.
George the backs are not too shabby either, I'm really worried about this.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Nov 2015, 1:35 pm

Cracking score Clermont.

I can't believe the call on the yellow etc though. There's no way Parra is stopping Arhip from that close.

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 22 Nov 2015, 1:35 pm

What was that kick and (no) chase? Ludicrous stuff from the Ospreys.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 22 Nov 2015, 1:40 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Cracking score Clermont.

I can't believe the call on the yellow etc though. There's no way Parra is stopping Arhip from that close.

Yeah I have to agree. A close call but Ospreys were hard done by there.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 22 Nov 2015, 1:58 pm

Is Bendy really the European Player of the Year (from the offy match feed)?

Well done him and his strange hair.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 22 Nov 2015, 2:07 pm

I bet a few people are asking why Strettle was not playing for England in the WC, he has looked sensational.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Nov 2015, 2:22 pm

Oh wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 22 Nov 2015, 2:24 pm

That is really so poor for Nakaitaci (sp?). Really casual, no awareness- no way he should have let himself be beaten to that ball!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Nov 2015, 2:24 pm

How casual was Nakataci? That's a bit similar to the Howley try from a few years back.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Nov 2015, 2:26 pm

Huge chance there. Clermont are imploding somewhat

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 22 Nov 2015, 2:28 pm

The bad news for O's is Arhip had to come off.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 22 Nov 2015, 2:28 pm

This is going to be a great last 25 minutes now.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 22 Nov 2015, 2:28 pm

Blimey what a turnaround, well done Ospreys, was not expecting that. I bet Nakataci will be getting some bollocking in the video review tomorrow!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Nov 2015, 2:29 pm

Good job I'm already streaming on my phone, as I want to watch Dragons Premier Select on S4C.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 22 Nov 2015, 2:30 pm

On paper Clermont are such a strong side but they're mentally fragile under pressure.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 22 Nov 2015, 2:33 pm

How was that a knock on?

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 22 Nov 2015, 2:37 pm

Come on you Ospreys.

Would love it if they could drop a major French side at home.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 22 Nov 2015, 2:39 pm

This is why Lloyd Peers will never be a good player.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Nov 2015, 2:41 pm

I do think Rougerie should probably have been pinged for not rolling after his first hit. It's led to a try too. Would love to see that again

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 22 Nov 2015, 2:43 pm

Great feet by Streetle though. I am actually quite glad he won't be playing for England!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 22 Nov 2015, 2:46 pm

A bit of a harsh yellow there, he hardly touched him, penalty would have been fine

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 22 Nov 2015, 2:46 pm

So an Ospreys gets a yellow card for barely grabbing a Clermont player but Clermont 8 gets nothing for tripping Tipuric?

Poor refereeing is sabotaging the game of rugby.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 22 Nov 2015, 2:50 pm

Thats a completely undeserved bonus point win.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 22 Nov 2015, 2:52 pm

Well played Stretts - the class act on the field today.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 22 Nov 2015, 2:56 pm

Thats one of the best try i have ever seen at the end.

Great game Ospreys.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 22 Nov 2015, 2:57 pm

Well Ospreys would have taken 2 points before the game. Great never say die effort from them.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 22 Nov 2015, 2:57 pm

Great game, great counter-attack at the end.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Nov 2015, 2:58 pm

Very well played. Probably deserved more too, given a few things went against them.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 22 Nov 2015, 3:02 pm

Ospreys hung in well but a very very sloppy performance at home by Clermont. Really lacked discipline & accuracy.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 22 Nov 2015, 3:05 pm

ASM deserved the win, but Ospreys fully deserving of the two BPs

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 22 Nov 2015, 3:11 pm

Doesn't seem out of the ordinary Clermont getting iffy decisions at home - how else would you have such a great home record for so long. Well done Ospreys, you did a lot better than I thought possible by the sound of it. Some players to come back for the next round and who knows... Though if you do make progress then Tandy keeps his job which is only bad news.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 22 Nov 2015, 3:49 pm

VinceWLB wrote:This is why Lloyd Peers will never be a good player.

What happened for you to make this comment? His selection in the team and as captain though, is now even leading their supporters to question Tandy. They have two good overseas forwards, one at TH and another at lock. If he's not yet permitting them to play at this level then let them play for the premiership select because that Ospreys team really needs some quality players!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun 22 Nov 2015, 3:50 pm

well I thought that was a very good game of rugby with some cracking tries. Strettle's efforts, the crossfield kick to Fofana, and the two terrific scores from Ospreys right at the death. Think Clermont were good value for the win, but a very good two points picked up by the Ospreys, and fully deserved. Massive difference between a 5-0 split and a 5-2 one. A very open group this one.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun 22 Nov 2015, 3:58 pm

Absolutely fantastic never say die attitude from my team, that was 2 points more than I expected from this game.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarpia Sun 22 Nov 2015, 4:01 pm

Have the Ospreys ever won a game with Clown Clancy in charge?
Great effort from The Ospreys when all seemed lost. Play that way on a regular basis and you'll fill The Liberty. Two away BPs could prove invaluable in this group.

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun 22 Nov 2015, 4:02 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:

What happened for you to make this comment? His selection in the team and as captain though, is now even leading their supporters to question Tandy. They have two good overseas forwards, one at TH and another at lock. If he's not yet permitting them to play at this level then let them play for the premiership select because that Ospreys team really needs some quality players!
If you are talking about Bernardo and Fia, the former is still wearing a boot that covers his leg up to his knee, and according to Fia he will be available next week, it is NOT Tandy stopping either of them, it is the Medical team.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun 22 Nov 2015, 4:08 pm

Scarpia wrote:Have the Ospreys ever won a game with Clown Clancy in charge?
Great effort from The Ospreys when all seemed lost. Play that way on a regular basis and you'll fill The Liberty. Two away BPs could prove invaluable in this group.
For him to compare the pull back by Sam Davies on Strettle and the early tackle by their 7 on Dmitri says it all to me about his competence, for him to say he was being consistent with what happened in the first half was laughable.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 22 Nov 2015, 4:18 pm

wayne wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

If you are talking about Bernardo and Fia, the former is still wearing a boot that covers his leg up to his knee, and according to Fia he will be available next week, it is NOT Tandy stopping either of them, it is the Medical team.

It was them I was talking about. You said Fia was available weeks ago so not sure why he's being held back. Do you have any more locks in the squad? Peers would have looked like a gnat next to Cudmore.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next