The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Champions cup, where are all these big sponsors ?

+5
HammerofThunor
marty2086
SecretFly
No 7&1/2
LordDowlais
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Champions cup, where are all these big sponsors ? Empty The Champions cup, where are all these big sponsors ?

Post by LordDowlais Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:06 am

Well the question is in the title really. The new champions cup starts this weekend. At the start of all this fiasco we were promised by the PRL that there were 5 global brands ready to sponsor the tournament with the promise of riches for everyone. That was in 2013. Now 2yrs later we have 2 sponsors.Heineken, and Turkish airlines. Where are all these promises ? The second tier is still a joke that is not taken seriously by the French. Before last seasons tournament we were promised more sponsors, and they did not come. Now we have the PRL saying that they do not care if they get 4 or 5 sponsors because the tele money more and more than covers the difference.

When are people going to realise that these new fractions who are trying to run the game and wrestle control from the unions are not the be all and end all they claim to be ? There are now rumblings coming from England that the PRL wants to run the whole professional game there. Are they seriously to be trusted ? The PRL are just an organisation full of false promises and the European competitions are no better off than when they were run by the Unions.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

The Champions cup, where are all these big sponsors ? Empty Re: The Champions cup, where are all these big sponsors ?

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:15 am

You talking about the Halliday comments regarding taking control from the RFU for the England team? If so not sure he's in with the PRL or if he meant them to take over control.

Granted the PRL haven't been able to uphold their sanctions for breaking the salary cap but it's a democracy at the end of the day and some deals have been done. Still right behind them in trying to change Europe though to a more just method of qualification. Plenty left to do.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

The Champions cup, where are all these big sponsors ? Empty Re: The Champions cup, where are all these big sponsors ?

Post by LordDowlais Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:18 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Granted the PRL haven't been able to uphold their sanctions for breaking the salary cap but it's a democracy at the end of the day and some deals have been done. Still right behind them in trying to change Europe though to a more just method of qualification. Plenty left to do.

Smoke and mirrors 7&1/2, and you have fallen for it spectacularly. The PRL have shafted everyone over Europe, they have failed to live up to what they have promised. Rugby union will be a lost to the fans if these lot and their ilk ever take charge.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:23 am

So were you talking about Halliday or are there rumours abound?

Personally the money thing is secondary to me. Would be nice to have all the sponsors they said but is it vital to product; for me no. What was more important was that as someone who watches more Aviva than the other 2 leagues it was obviously geared towards the Pro 12 clubs. I know the argument to this was that it should be done of countries and not leagues but as it's a blub comp it's not something I did agree with.

So they've done some good for me and have some more to do in partnership with the other leagues in respect to European comps.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:25 am

Where are the 5 global sponsors ?

Why is the second tier STILL a joke ?

Where are all the nice crisp £50 notes we are all supposed to be swimming in ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:29 am

Like I said the 5 sponsors are missing but is it vital for the product? no. The 2nd comp is disappointing, seems that the English take it seriously but it's of lesser importance elsewhere. This probably links to the sponsors more directly than the top tier to be fair as you'd need more prize money for it to appear higher on the list for some. Think the money overall is pretty decent. But again for me it's was secondary. Good work in some areas, more to do.

Was it Halliday you were talking about?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:29 am

....a more just method of qualification?

Well, 7&1/2, let's wait and see what the results are of the investigations into the thee time champions. Some would already say the hints of anything being 'just' in European Rugby is quickly deteriorating into the same levels of 'justness' operating in FIFA and World Athletics, and F1.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:32 am

You left out that Heineken signed up for a lot less than they were paying in the ERC days too

That final tickets were being given away for free to those buying tickets to the AP final

The final was moved to the start of May to suit the French which led to the issues with the Pro12 final

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:35 am

This was promised in 2013:-

http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/featured-post/11984/chase-on-to-sponsor-the-10m-champions-cup

Then it changed to this in 2014:-

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/oct/04/european-champions-cup-to-announce-sponsors

Now we have this in 2015:-

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 70606.html

It has taken the PRL 2 years to deliver a quarter of what they have promised and now they are moving the goal posts. They are an organisation of liars and wise boys. It's almost as if we have Del Boy and Author Dailey running the PRL. Promising us the world and delivering us nothing but will try and make us believe they are doing the right thing. How can people fall for this rubbish ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:35 am

LordDowlais wrote:Where are the 5 global sponsors ?

Why is the second tier STILL a joke ?

Where are all the nice crisp £50 notes we are all supposed to be swimming in ?

The organisers never promised 5 sponsors right away but wanted to get to there at some stage

The second tier has went down in importance because they withdrew the qualifying spot to the ERCC and went with the ridiculous play off system instead

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:40 am

marty2086 wrote:The organisers never promised 5 sponsors right away but wanted to get to there at some stage

Have you not read this :-

http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/featured-post/11984/chase-on-to-sponsor-the-10m-champions-cup/

What happened to these sponsors:-

Anglo-French organisers of the new European tournament are understood to have opened negotiations with all five prospective backers, among them the German financial services giant, Allianz, leading backers of European football champions, Bayern Munich.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:42 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:So were you talking about Halliday or are there rumours abound?

Personally the money thing is secondary to me. Would be nice to have all the sponsors they said but is it vital to product; for me no. What was more important was that as someone who watches more Aviva than the other 2 leagues it was obviously geared towards the Pro 12 clubs. I know the argument to this was that it should be done of countries and not leagues but as it's a blub comp it's not something I did agree with.

So they've done some good for me and have some more to do in partnership with the other leagues in respect to European comps.

What's a blub?

I was against the new competition, but it's what we have now, and should be supported. Potential sponsors will probably be hesitant to invest after the fallout, but give it a little time, and I think they will start coming in.
As for entertainment value, I think it's fine, but for the French dominance. That was going to happen anyway, no matter who ran the competition, and I don't see much change looking into the next few seasons. None of the Pro12 sides will make the final this season, and possibly only Sarries out of the AP. Possibly.
Still really looking forward to a few games, and hoping my side can make it out of the group.

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:42 am

Fair enough Fly!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:44 am

Have you?

Its a newspaper report based on speculation and even if true it says they were opening negotiations not signing on

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:45 am

Ha. Club Munchkin, know full well the arguments there though!

LD, can you confirm whether it's the Halliday comments you're alluding to in the OP please?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:47 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Ha. Club Munchkin, know full well the arguments there though!

LD, can you confirm whether it's the Halliday comments you're alluding to in the OP please?

Ah, I should have twigged. I like the sound of it though. A blub competition Very Happy

As far as I'm concerned, those arguments are over, and the new competition should be supported. At least until the contract runs out Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:52 am

Remember the 2 years notice Munchkin. I imagine that's still required.

EDIT: do we have anything how much money was generated in the first year yet?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:57 am

HammerofThunor wrote:Remember the 2 years notice Munchkin. I imagine that's still required.

I wasn't really serious about only supporting until the contract runs out. I will support it whoever is running it, and will trust the Unions involved to get a deal that is fair for Pro12 sides.

Haven't read anything about the money made. Maybe it's a bit early, but will be interesting to see how they did in the first year.

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:57 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:LD, can you confirm whether it's the Halliday comments you're alluding to in the OP please?

It was off what somebody put on here.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:58 am

HammerofThunor wrote:Remember the 2 years notice Munchkin. I imagine that's still required.

Mourad Boudjellal won't say.  He says his confidentiality agreement means he doesn't have to say.  He merely confirms that whatever money was generated, most of it found its way into his pocket....  

Now enough of these invasive questions into the private matters of private clubs!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:59 am

LordDowlais wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:LD, can you confirm whether it's the Halliday comments you're alluding to in the OP please?

Probably not enough to base a view on them doing the wrong thing then.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 10 Nov 2015, 12:05 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Probably not enough to base a view on them doing the wrong thing then.

I was writing this topic after reading this:-

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 70606.html

And this part in particular:-

European bosses confirmed Turkish Airlines as their second major sponsor at Wednesday's tournament launch. Champions Cup chiefs are still chasing five overall sponsors however, with another partner likely to be confirmed next week. "There's no need to have an absolute set number," said EPCR director general Vincent Gaillard. "We started with the aim for five official partners, and we will keep on searching, but it doesn't really matter if it's four or five ultimately. "It's about the quality of the brands and the overall fit rather than the number. "So 80 per cent of our commercial revenue is set for the next three years because of the television deals so we don't have to worry imminently about sponsorship." wrote:

So it went from 5 global sponsors to "There's no need to have an absolute set number,"

And this,"but it doesn't really matter if it's four or five ultimately.

So they are going back on what they originally promised. What a stitch up.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Tue 10 Nov 2015, 12:07 pm

It was reported 3 years ago by one of the rugby writers for a national paper, can't remember which one.
He was at a do and one of the prl types was quite drunk and let slip that Europe was just the start, and that International control was their end game

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Tue 10 Nov 2015, 12:13 pm

Paul Ackford, London Times. wrote:
A couple of weeks ago, I was in a cab with a senior executive of a Premiership club. It was late, drink had been taken and the talk turned to the state of European rugby politics, which, at that stage, appeared to be favouring the English clubs’ desire to exercise greater influence over the two European rugby tournaments.

“This is only the beginning,” the grandee said. “What if I were to tell you that some of us are looking at how we can run the whole of the professional game in England, including the national team. We reckon it would

3 years ago that was published

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 10 Nov 2015, 12:20 pm

carpet baboon wrote:Paul Ackford, London Times. wrote:
A couple of weeks ago, I was in a cab with a senior executive of a Premiership club. It was late, drink had been taken and the talk turned to the state of European rugby politics, which, at that stage, appeared to be favouring the English clubs’ desire to exercise greater influence over the two European rugby tournaments.

“This is only the beginning,” the grandee said. “What if I were to tell you that some of us are looking at how we can run the whole of the professional game in England, including the national team. We reckon it would

'We reckon it would cost us about £200 million to acquire those rights from the Rugby Football Union.”
Just the tired and emotional, delusional ramblings of a maverick potentate? That’s what I thought, until I raised the topic with another leading club administrator this week. “It’s true,” he said. “There are some individuals having those conversations at the moment. The figure I heard is £250  million, which they reckon is the RFU’s approximate annual profit [£25  million], ramped up by a multiple of ten. Take that to a venture capitalist and he might be interested."'

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 10 Nov 2015, 12:23 pm

"We want the money generatin' bit, see! And yous can keep the bloody crying kids and stuff.....
What'd'ya think?"

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 10 Nov 2015, 12:33 pm

The next thing we know the PRL will want to change how the 6N works, they will be demanding more money as England's population is bigger and they have more people watching and all that crap. The PRL will ruin Rugby Union in Europe.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 10 Nov 2015, 12:34 pm

Was talking in relation to the PRL taking over England. There's not much to suggest thats the case is there?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 10 Nov 2015, 12:37 pm

LordDowlais wrote:The next thing we know the PRL will want to change how the 6N works, they will be demanding more money as England's population is bigger and they have more people watching and all that crap. The PRL will ruin Rugby Union in Europe.

And its always possible when they have their own lapdogs to follow them into whatever they do

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Nov 2015, 12:39 pm

marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:The next thing we know the PRL will want to change how the 6N works, they will be demanding more money as England's population is bigger and they have more people watching and all that crap. The PRL will ruin Rugby Union in Europe.

And its always possible when they have their own lapdogs to follow them into whatever they do

thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 10 Nov 2015, 12:41 pm

marty2086 wrote:And its always possible when they have their own lapdogs to follow them into whatever they do

And who would that be ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 10 Nov 2015, 12:44 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:And its always possible when they have their own lapdogs to follow them into whatever they do

And who would that be ?

That would be PRW of course

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 10 Nov 2015, 12:52 pm

carpet baboon wrote:Paul Ackford, London Times. wrote:

Oh well there we are. Thanks. It's clear that's their agenda then and are well on their way!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 10 Nov 2015, 12:54 pm

marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

And who would that be ?

PRW used the situation with Europe as weapon during the war between the regions and the WRU. They were nobody's lapdogs. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 10 Nov 2015, 1:06 pm

Seeing as the money aspect is important to you all does anyone know how much less the new comp is worth in sponsors and tv in comparison to old?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Nov 2015, 1:13 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Seeing as the money aspect is important to you all does anyone know how much less the new comp is worth in sponsors and tv in comparison to old?

Don't think the figures have been released yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 10 Nov 2015, 1:18 pm

Cheers Munchkin. There may well be well founded fears about the PRL but I think both aspects of this are a little premature. They haven't as yet even took over all of England and it sounds as if there's no real concrete figures on whether clubs are better off or not. I'd keep my powder dry.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Nov 2015, 1:24 pm

It's something that was talked about at the time, and not much point speculating any further as to what might happen. Not for me anyway. I don't see PRL getting their hands on £250m, and I don't believe the RFU, or the English supporters would allow that to happen anyway.

Give this new competition a bit of time, and see what happens, I suppose.

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 10 Nov 2015, 1:29 pm

Munchkin wrote:Give this new competition a bit of time, and see what happens, I suppose.

It in it's third term, and yet we still do not have all the sponsors they promised. They are also going back on what they promised as well.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 10 Nov 2015, 1:35 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

And who would that be ?

PRW used the situation with Europe as weapon during the war between the regions and the WRU. They were nobody's lapdogs. OK

Really? Then why did they jump in with the French and English with so much not in place? Maybe someone else used the war to their advantage

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 10 Nov 2015, 1:35 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Munchkin wrote:Give this new competition a bit of time, and see what happens, I suppose.

It in it's third term, and yet we still do not have all the sponsors they promised. They are also going back on what they promised as well.
Its just about to start its second season

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 10 Nov 2015, 1:38 pm

Marty, I am not turning this thread into a bun fight with you, lets just leave it there shall we ?

We can talk about the non commitment to the promises the PRL are showing if you want, but I am not getting into a Wales V Ireland peeing match with you. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Nov 2015, 1:41 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

Thought you had put me on your Foes list? I knew you wouldn't. You can't get enough of me Cool

It isn't the third term.

It goes back to what I was saying about potential sponsors possibly being a bit wary of investing after the fallout. It was fairly ugly, and it will take a bit of time for any healing to complete. If it does.

The amount of money coming in from sponsorship wouldn't do anything for Pro12 nations anyway. Not in terms of NH rugby. It's all relative, and the more sponsorship the competition brings in, the wider the gap in revenue between Pro12 and AP/T14. Under the present terms of the contract anyway.

Last edited by Munchkin on Tue 10 Nov 2015, 1:58 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 10 Nov 2015, 1:43 pm

Here we go ‘round the mulberry bush
The mulberry bush, the mulberry bush
Here we go ‘round the mulberry bush
So early in the morning

This is the way we wash our face
Wash our face, wash our face
This is the way we wash our face
So early in the morning

This is the way we comb our hair
Comb our hair, comb our hair
This is the way we comb our hair
So early in the morning

This is the way we brush our teeth
Brush our teeth, brush our teeth
This is the way we brush our teeth
So early in the morning

This is the way we put on our clothes
Put on our clothes, put on our clothes
This is the way we put on our clothes
So early in the morning…

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 10 Nov 2015, 1:45 pm

Munchkin wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Thought you had put me on your Foes list? I knew you wouldn't. You can't get enough of me Cool

It isn't the third term.

It goes back to what I was saying about potential sponsors possibly being a bit wary of investing after the fallout. It was fairly ugly, and it will take a bit of time for any healing to complete.

The amount of money coming in from sponsorship coming in wouldn't do anything for Pro12 nations anyway. Not in terms of NH rigby. It's all relative, and the more sponsorship the competition brings in, the wider the gap in revenue between Pro12 and AP/T14. Under the present terms of the contract anyway.

We were promised more money for all of us, a brand new Shangri-la of rugby where the money would be flowing and the streets would be paved with gold and we would ALL get a slice. This does not look like it is happening to me. Less sponsors than before, and all the PRL are going on is the fact that the deal with BT is keeping us going. Well the BT deal will not last forever.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 10 Nov 2015, 1:46 pm

LD, it all matters because as Munchkin says many are probably waiting for the dust to settle, just like with the Pro12 the arguing between PRW and the WRU along with the uncertainty about the Italians don't make it easy to sell a product to sponsors. Sky, BT Sport and Heineken getting burnt in the whole thing probably doesn't help matters either

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 10 Nov 2015, 1:48 pm

LD, if this is purely about money rather than sponsors and the money isn't in the public domain according to the post above what are you currently concerned with?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Nov 2015, 1:49 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

It isn't the third term.

It goes back to what I was saying about potential sponsors possibly being a bit wary of investing after the fallout. It was fairly ugly, and it will take a bit of time for any healing to complete.

The amount of money coming in from sponsorship coming in wouldn't do anything for Pro12 nations anyway. Not in terms of NH rigby. It's all relative, and the more sponsorship the competition brings in, the wider the gap in revenue between Pro12 and AP/T14. Under the present terms of the contract anyway.

We were promised more money for all of us, a brand new Shangri-la of rugby where the money would be flowing and the streets would be paved with gold and we would ALL get a slice. This does not look like it is happening to me. Less sponsors than before, and all the PRL are going on is the fact that the deal with BT is keeping us going. Well the BT deal will not last forever.

More money, but sometimes more money is less, and for us the more there is, the less there is.

We will just have to wait and see what happens. It's too early to judge the competition, and although we can speculate possible negatives, it might well turn out to be positive for all concerned. We just don't know.

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 10 Nov 2015, 2:19 pm

Out of curiosity, where did anyone promise 5 sponsors, as claimed? I can see in a referenced article that they were talking to 5 global brands but that's not promising 5 sponsors.

Since smae-old-same-old is getting their knickers in a knot over 'broken-promises' it would be interesting to see the actual promises. And if you take that as a promise then I can see you getting let down after the 'promise' of a long term relationship turns out to be a one-night-stand.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue 10 Nov 2015, 5:09 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

It isn't the third term.

The Welsh salary cap has increased hasn't it? That sounds like a result of that slice?

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next