The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frampton and Quigg meet in February unification confirmed

+16
3fingers
Dipper Brown
mobilemaster8
Nico the gman
rodders
BoxingFan88
Hammersmith harrier
Jermaine2015
Rowley
Coxy001
milkyboy
spencerclarke
AZZJ44
Herman Jaeger
Pound-for-Pound
Pedro147
20 posters

Go down

Frampton and Quigg meet in February unification confirmed Empty Frampton and Quigg meet in February unification confirmed

Post by Pedro147 Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:47 am

http://www.matchroomboxing.com/news/frampton-and-quigg-meet-in-february-unification/

Carl Frampton and Scott Quigg will meet for the IBF and WBA World Super-Bantamweight titles at the Manchester Arena on Saturday February 27 2016.

The eagerly anticipated showdown between the British rivals was announced live on Sky Sports News this afternoon with the pair putting titles, unbeaten records and bragging rights on the line in the blockbuster.

Belfast favourite Frampton took the IBF crown from Kiko Martinez last September and has defended the title twice this year, stopping Chris Avalos in Belfast in February before an exciting debut on US soil in May where he climbed off the canvas twice in the opening round to defeat Alejandro Gonzalez Jr.

Bury ace Quigg’s reign as WBA champion began in October 2013 and the 27 year old has racked up five successful defences in that time, stopping Martinez in his last outing in Manchester in July to follow wins over Diego Silva, Tshifhiwa Munyai, Stephane Jamoye and Hidenori Otake.

Both fighters and their teams expressed their delight at setting up what promises to be the fight of the year.

“I’m delighted that we have finally got this fight signed,” said Frampton. “This is the fight everyone has wanted for years, none more so than myself. I’m the legitimate champion and I’m going to his backyard to defend my title because that’s what champions do. On February 27 the fans will find out who the real champion is, I’m going to win this fight in style.”

“I’ve finally got the fight I’ve wanted for so long,” said Quigg. “February 27 will be the best night of my life. I’ve dedicated my life to this sport and I have never been more confident going into a fight, I know I will beat him in every department. This is a great fight for the sport and I’m delighted to bring it to Manchester and unify the division.”

“I am very pleased that we have managed to get this fight made,” said Frampton’s manager Barry McGuigan. “It will be a momentous occasion for British and Irish boxing. This is the fight the fans have craved and the one we have wanted all along. The atmosphere will no doubt be electric, but there is only going to be one winner on February 27, Carl ‘The Jackal’ Frampton!”

“Yes! All I can say is yes – get in!” said Quigg’s promoter Eddie Hearn. “This is been hard work but worth every second. I want to thank everyone involved for their desire in making this fight happen and now we have an event that will go down in the history of the sport. Two World champions, two fantastic fighters collide at the Manchester Arena. Can you even imagine the atmosphere, the tension, the drama? This is what it’s all about, roll on fight night! Scott Quigg has all the momentum going into the fight and will be crowned unified World champion on February 27.”

Information on ticket on-sale dates and the undercard will be revealed in a UK press tour that will begin later in November.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Frampton and Quigg meet in February unification confirmed Empty Re: Frampton and Quigg meet in February unification confirmed

Post by Pound-for-Pound Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:43 am

Can't see anything but a fire fight between these 2 and with both showing that they don't have granite chins (not saying they're packing glass or anything) I suspect it won't go long.

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Frampton and Quigg meet in February unification confirmed Empty Re: Frampton and Quigg meet in February unification confirmed

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:48 am

Should have happened 6 months ago and some.

Lost a bit of it's sheen for me with featherweight looking the more enticing division right now. Santa Cruz, Selby Lomachenko and Russell jr up there, I think the fans are more interested in that lot to be honest.

Still quite a good domestic though, but winner to face off against Santa Cruz and this fight would have had double the buzz. I can see the winner making a string of uninspiring defences living off the win to be honest.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AZZJ44 Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:41 am

Herman Jaeger wrote:Should have happened 6 months ago and some.

Lost a bit of it's sheen for me with featherweight looking the more enticing division right now. Santa Cruz, Selby Lomachenko and Russell jr up there, I think the fans are more interested in that lot to be honest.

Still quite a good domestic though, but winner to face off against Santa Cruz and this fight would have had double the buzz. I can see the winner making a string of uninspiring defences living off the win to be honest.

Better late than never though surely? Good grudge match with two fighters at their peaks (presumably).
As a boxing fan how can you sound gutted at that?

AZZJ44

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:42 am

Can't wait for this fight. Has the look of a classic. I'm hoping for a quigg win but think it will be Frampton. I enjoy watching both fighters though so should be enjoyable whatever the outcome.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:49 am

Fight announced the week Santa Cruz announces he's staying at feather.  

Glad you're happy anyway.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:56 am

Can see the winner moving up for an even bigger fight with Selby down the line

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:40 am

Pedro147 wrote:
“Yes! All I can say is yes – get in!” said Quigg’s promoter Eddie Hearn. “This is been hard work but worth every second. I want to thank everyone involved for their desire in making this fight happen and now we have an event that will go down in the history of the sport. Two World champions, two fantastic fighters collide at the Manchester Arena. Can you even imagine the atmosphere, the tension, the drama? This is what it’s all about, roll on fight night! Scott Quigg has all the momentum going into the fight and will be crowned unified World champion on February 27.”

Good to see Eddie reining in the hyperbole, I was worried he might try and make this little domestic dust up a ppv.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:44 am

milkyboy wrote:
Pedro147 wrote:

Good to see Eddie reining in the hyperbole, I was worried he might try and make this little domestic dust up a ppv.

Not sure a unification counts as a little domestic dust up....

It would be better than some of the PPV headliners we've had, looking forwards to it.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:59 am

Herman Jaeger wrote:Should have happened 6 months ago and some.

Nothing personal meant by this Herman but this sort of thing really gets on my tw&t end. Is there literally nothing on here we won't be negative/cynical about? This is a cracking fight, two evenly matched fighters, both unbeaten, both good to watch and both with styles that should in theory gel pretty well and someone still finds a way to pee on it. To be honest as a fan if you can't get excited about this fight boxing might not be the sport for you.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:04 am

Funny how Rigondeaux not only loses his WBO title, just the WBA take his title and give it to paper champion Quigg...Farce

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:11 am

It was a joke coxy. 

Although I do struggle a bit with the idea of a 'unification' (where one of them has a diamond emeritus wba crisp bag type thing).

But hey it's a good fight, when such match ups are few and far between... I'll be looking forward to it.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:35 am

Does any British fight fan care about Lomachenko, Russell or Santa Cruz? As far as we're concerned Frampton, Quigg and Selby are the ones to watch.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:38 pm

Just doesn't have the buzz about it that it would have had six months ago that's all. The division has become diluted. Back then you had a nice little group of talent and it would have meant a lot more to become the best super bantam in the world. Nobody knew how good Santa Cruz was so there was more the element of the unknown which creates that excitement amongst fans. There just seems less to play for now, and the excitement has shifted to the featherweight division 
for me, which has a nice pool of talent(let's hope that lot get it on.) Can't see the winner moving up so I can't see where the challenges are going to come from assuming Rigondeaux is out and Donaire not looking the force of old. 

Just my opinion, no need to get uptight Hammersmith.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:19 pm

This is a great fight and I can't wait I will even pay PPV if I have to as it will be worth it. I'm still picking Frampton, but his last fight got me thinking a bit more, I'm still going to put it down to travelling to America.

Donaire has more than enough to beat the winner he has looked decent back at super bantam albeit against weaker opposition

Would be a massive event

If rigo decides to fight again there are opportunities as well, still an exciting division

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:42 pm

You're right, Donaire would be no easy fight for either of them.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:04 am

Hate to be cynical but can see a slightly controversial stoppage for Quigg in Manchester followed by a summer rematch in Belfast....possibly leading to a 3rd fight to settle the rivalry once and for all....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:05 am

rodders wrote:Hate to be cynical but can see a slightly controversial stoppage for Quigg in Manchester followed by a summer rematch in Belfast....possibly leading to a 3rd fight to settle the rivalry once and for all....

Hmmm would be interesting, depends if Howard Foster is involved....

Mind you neither of them have granite chins.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:26 am

Both fighters in their prime, both unbeaten what's not to like about this fight, we keep hoping for fights like this and get disappointed when it never happens, at last something exciting to look forward too.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:32 am

Even without titles on the line this is seen a f*cking good "trade" fight and those who can't get excited about it, like Rowley says, may need to find out what channel the crown green bowls is on

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:37 am

BoxingFan88 wrote:
rodders wrote:Hate to be cynical but can see a slightly controversial stoppage for Quigg in Manchester followed by a summer rematch in Belfast....possibly leading to a 3rd fight to settle the rivalry once and for all....

I don't see the issue with Frampton's chin at all. Both knockdowns in his last fight were because he was off balance, not due to power or anything like that. And apart from one knockdown several years ago Quigg has shown to have a very good chin. There getting hit really hard in the head, of course they'll go down from time to time!

It's seems to be now that if you hit the floor once in your career you've chin problems, the new craze in recent years. Goes nicely with people who lose their 0 being hype jobs, have padded records or that it was only a matter of time before they were found out.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:04 am

Not sure if id agree with that Pedro, in regards to Quigg.

He got dropped by a jab at domestic level and the only reason why his chin looks "very good" is because he has fought no decent opposition apart from Kiko.....in which the first round he was marked up and chased around the ring not having a clue what was happening until he caught him with a peach.

That was, imo, the first real fighter he has been in with, and even though he stopped him in brilliant fashion (which I know Hearn would have used in his negotiations to bring the fight the Manchester) I still feel its 70/30 in favour of Carl and im expecting a dominant performance with a mid to late stoppage.

Could be wrong, Quigg could catch him with a peach and that's that.

That's whats great about Boxing.

On a side not I've just booked a hotel for the fight going get tickets - see you there if your attending.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:12 am

Pedro147 wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:

I don't see the issue with Frampton's chin at all. Both knockdowns in his last fight were because he was off balance, not due to power or anything like that. And apart from one knockdown several years ago Quigg has shown to have a very good chin. There getting hit really hard in the head, of course they'll go down from time to time!

It's seems to be now that if you hit the floor once in your career you've chin problems, the new craze in recent years. Goes nicely with people who lose their 0 being hype jobs, have padded records or that it was only a matter of time before they were found out.
With you on this one Pedro, Frampton looked more embarrassed than hurt, 1st knockdown can't remember him taking a count.

Chinny is usually when your legs are all over the place or you hit the canvas every time you take a decent shot,Calzaghe got decked 1st round against Hopkins must have been because he was chinny.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:14 am

mobilemaster8 wrote:Not sure if id agree with that Pedro, in regards to Quigg.

He got dropped by a jab at domestic level and the only reason why his chin looks "very good" is because he has fought no decent opposition apart from Kiko.....in which the first round he was marked up and chased around the ring not having a clue what was happening until he caught him with a peach.

That was, imo, the first real fighter he has been in with, and even though he stopped him in brilliant fashion (which I know Hearn would have used in his negotiations to bring the fight the Manchester) I still feel its 70/30 in favour of Carl and im expecting a dominant performance with a mid to late stoppage.

Could be wrong, Quigg could catch him with a peach and that's that.

That's whats great about Boxing.

On a side not I've just booked a hotel for the fight going get tickets - see you there if your attending.

I'm not saying Quigg is a great boxer (I think Frampton a better boxer) and generally relies on his size and good engine over opponents. But the fact he was marked up by Kiko who is a decent enough puncher but didn't look like going over would suggest again that his chin is ok.

I mean Naz got dropped by Daniel Alicia and a few times by Kelley but both were balance issues. Naz then went in with MAB and took some serious big shots but never went down. Not saying they've identical chins but going down and in some cases being hurt doesn't mean you've a bad chin.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:31 am

So whos going?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:08 am

I'm going. Just booked my hotel. A couple of the boys are Man Utd supporters (shows the poor company I keep) and apparently they play Arsenal at OT that weekend so I'm told they'll get us tickets for that, should be quite the weekend!

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:18 am

If people are holding Framptons last fight against him then they may as well judge quigg on his performance against that Japanese fella. Everyone is entitled to an off night. I suspect both will bring their A-Game to this one. Meaning a Frampton mid-to-late stoppage providing quigg doesn't land a hayemaker.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:27 am

Frampton points for me. Expect him to win by 3-4 rounds

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:06 am

I'm DAVE667 wrote:Even without titles on the line this is seen a f*cking good "trade" fight and those who can't get excited about it, like Rowley says, may need to find out what channel the crown green bowls is on

Used to love Tony Allcock's action. Haven't watched it for years mind. Is he still playing?

I think everyone is looking forward to it but featherweight has superseded it in terms of interest probably hence why I said I feel the buzz has been a touch diminished. I could be wrong and am sure it will still be electric on the night.

I honestly don't see either fighter as chinny, Rocky Marciano hit the deck a few times in his career but nobody is calling him chinny. Both Frampton and Quigg have always recovered quickly from their knock downs. Chinny is a fighter who looks like they'll go with 75% of any good clean shots they take and normally stagger around when they go down.

Frampton the better boxer but Quigg a great engine. Great fight, difficult to call with absolute certainty.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:26 am

Herman Jaeger wrote:
I'm DAVE667 wrote:Even without titles on the line this is seen a f*cking good "trade" fight and those who can't get excited about it, like Rowley says, may need to find out what channel the crown green bowls is on

Used to love Tony Allcock's action. Haven't watched it for years mind. Is he still playing?

I think everyone is looking forward to it but featherweight has superseded it in terms of interest probably hence why I said I feel the buzz has been a touch diminished. I could be wrong and am sure it will still be electric on the night.

I honestly don't see either fighter as chinny, Rocky Marciano hit the deck a few times in his career but nobody is calling him chinny. Both Frampton and Quigg have always recovered quickly from their knock downs. Chinny is a fighter who looks like they'll go with 75% of any good clean shots they take and normally stagger around when they go down.

Frampton the better boxer but Quigg a great engine. Great fight, difficult to call with absolute certainty.

David Bryant for me...pipe smoking sportsmen, gotta love it.

I think the home crowd and a new sense of belief will give Quigg a boost. Still think it goes to points and it's a cigarette paper between the two but ask me again tomorrow as a while back I would have happily gone for Frampton.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:23 am

I can't see this one going 12 - and I have this sneaking suspicion that Quigg will stop Frampton. He'll go in as a slight underdog but with home advantage. Both will be massively ready for this, but I think that Quigg's going to catch Carl with a humdinger of a shot that puts him on queer street.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:27 am

The way your luck's going bouncy, that means I'm definitely having a fiver on Frampo points.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:31 pm

It's usually the best way to predict a fight - the exact opposite of what I reckon laughing

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:37 pm

3fingers wrote:If people are holding Framptons last fight against him then they may as well judge quigg on his performance against that Japanese fella. Everyone is entitled to an off night. I suspect both will bring their A-Game to this one. Meaning a Frampton mid-to-late stoppage providing quigg doesn't land a hayemaker.

Framptons last fight was as much poor preparation as anything, don't think he'll make the same mistake again

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:38 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:I can't see this one going 12 - and I have this sneaking suspicion that Quigg will stop Frampton. He'll go in as a slight underdog but with home advantage. Both will be massively ready for this, but I think that Quigg's going to catch Carl with a humdinger of a shot that puts him on queer street.

Quigg may be at home, with the support Frampton has he could have the crowd it'll be interesting to see

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:48 pm

marty2086 wrote:
3fingers wrote:If people are holding Framptons last fight against him then they may as well judge quigg on his performance against that Japanese fella. Everyone is entitled to an off night. I suspect both will bring their A-Game to this one. Meaning a Frampton mid-to-late stoppage providing quigg doesn't land a hayemaker.

Framptons last fight was as much poor preparation as anything, don't think he'll make the same mistake again

as per my comments on the other thread... I think he just wanted to make a statement on his US debut, and tried to take the guy out early. Didn't fight his normal game nor show the guy respect. Once he settled down, he won a hard fought fight but with a bit to spare.

Quigg has to land a hayemaker to win this... which is not beyond the realms of possibility... but Frampton points is the percentage call for me. Don't see how quigg wins if it goes the distance.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:57 am

As spectacular as Quigg's win over Martinez was, he had a dreadful opening round until he landed a big shot. He didn't look at all comfortable on the back foot (which is a shame as Brian Hughes had him boxing well on the defensive).

I think Frampton can stalk him more cleverly than Martinez, however, he'll need to be sharper than he looked against Gonzalez.

It's a wonderful fight - desperate for tickets.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:59 am

milkyboy wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

as per my comments on the other thread... I think he just wanted to make  a statement on his US debut, and tried to take the guy out early. Didn't fight his normal game nor show the guy respect. Once he settled down, he won a hard fought fight but with a bit to spare.

Quigg has to land a hayemaker to win this... which is not beyond the realms of possibility... but Frampton points is the percentage call for me. Don't see how quigg wins if it goes the distance.

Frampton had trouble with the weight cut, issues around finding a sauna in El Paso was one of the problems I heard mentioned

There was probably a lack of respect in not preparing as well as he could have too but he and his team don't seem like they'll make the same mistake twice

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:38 am

I heard the camp issues Marty... You only ever hear them after after a loss or disappointing performance though! If he struggled with weight I'd expect to see him fade late in the fight... Not start poorly but seem fine  late on.

For me he looked like he was trying to do a golovkin and impress the US audience. No head movement, walking down and swinging. 

Just my take on it.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:02 am

Cracking fight to look forward to. I have a feeling that despite their last showings Frampton is going to win this in style and Quigg will get beaten soundly. Their last fights were great for the build up though as we can now speculate that Frampton was overrated and Quigg underrated and it's a much much closer fight.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:33 am

milkyboy wrote:I heard the camp issues Marty... You only ever hear them after after a loss or disappointing performance though! If he struggled with weight I'd expect to see him fade late in the fight... Not start poorly but seem fine  late on.

For me he looked like he was trying to do a golovkin and impress the US audience. No head movement, walking down and swinging. 

Just my take on it.

No doubt he wanted to impress but there were rumblings before hand about his camp, though the problems were only when they got stateside

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:19 am

Poor preparation is no excuse, these are highly trained and highly skilled sportsmen, it is a vital part of boxing to be prepared at all times and if Frampton wasn't then that his fault and his fault alone. Personally don't believe a word of it and doubt we'd have heard a word had the fight gone to plan.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AZZJ44 Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:22 am

hazharrison wrote:As spectacular as Quigg's win over Martinez was, he had a dreadful opening round until he landed a big shot. He didn't look at all comfortable on the back foot (which is a shame as Brian Hughes had him boxing well on the defensive).

I think Frampton can stalk him more cleverly than Martinez, however, he'll need to be sharper than he looked against Gonzalez.

It's a wonderful fight - desperate for tickets.  

I think it's more likely that Frampton boxes on the back foot in this one and Quigg walks onto something big. It's interesting as they both probably have the power to knock the other out.

Would have favoured Frampton but after their last outings Quigg has evened it up nicely to make this even more intriguing. Looking forward to it.

AZZJ44

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down